TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^Agreed. They probably weren't getting the results they expected. There has been a lot of Guest Research Cast Members getting guest feedback on Freeze The Night and seems like the reviews might not have been what the resort was hoping for. Translated: Alcohol sales are down.

Edited by DJeXeL

To me it just seems like the Frozen thing was forced upon the park to fit the Frozen stuff going on everywhere else in the area. They failed to account for the fact that DLR has so many AP's who just want a place to hang out after they work. These parties were basically designed to get those AP people to actually spend money in the park.

I only wish these parties could be moved somewhere else that doesn't disrupt the park. Like inside the old Hollywood and DIne building. Or, make something backstage near tower that's totally out of the way.

It doesn't really disrupt the park as a whole since that area is pretty isolated. Before Frozen showed up, the worst would be that families who wanted to ride Monsters Inc. or see MuppetVision towards the end of the night might be disturbed. Let's face it, there weren't that many of them during the time of night that Mad T Party was going on. If Mad T Party can take an otherwise completely dead and wasted area of a park and turn it into a place where a few thousand AP's will now spend enough to reach the park's desired guest spending per capita numbers, it's going to continue until something else can do that better than Mad T can.

Personally, I want nothing to do with Mad T Party, and I have no problem at all avoiding that corner of the park. I'll happily get to Tower of Terror through Bug's Land or Cars Land.

BOB CHAPEK NAMED CHAIRMAN, WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS

BURBANK, Calif.—Bob Chapek has been named Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, it was announced today by Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, and Thomas O. Staggs, Chief Operating Officer, The Walt Disney Company.

A 22-year veteran of The Walt Disney Company, Mr. Chapek has served since 2011 as President of Disney Consumer Products, driving a technology-led transformation of the Company’s consumer products, retail and publishing operations. He assumes his new role effective immediately.

“Under Bob’s leadership, Consumer Products has seen great success, focusing on brands and a franchise-driven strategy while launching new products and retail experiences that combine technological innovation and creativity,” Mr. Iger said. “He is an experienced and versatile executive well-suited to lead Parks and Resorts into the future.”

As Chairman of Parks and Resorts, Mr. Chapek succeeds Mr. Staggs, who was named Disney’s Chief Operating Officer earlier this month. Mr. Chapek will report to both Mr. Iger and Mr. Staggs.

“Bob is stepping into this role at an incredibly dynamic and exciting time for our Parks and Resorts business,” Mr. Staggs said. “The ongoing construction of Shanghai Disney Resort as well as the new Avatar-themed land at Walt Disney World continues an era of unprecedented growth and historic expansion.”

“I am grateful for the many opportunities I have had during my years at Disney, and am thrilled to join the incredible Disney Parks organization,” Mr. Chapek said. “I look forward to working with the remarkably talented team dedicated to creating magical memories for millions of guests around the world.” A successor to Mr. Chapek at Disney Consumer Products will be named at a later date.

Prior to leading Disney Consumer Products, Mr. Chapek served as President of Distribution for The Walt Disney Studios from 2009 to 2011, and was responsible for overseeing the Studios' overall content distribution strategy across multiple platforms including theatrical exhibition, home entertainment, pay TV, digital entertainment and new media. He also served as President of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, where he spearheaded the successful “vault strategy” for the company’s iconic films and transformed the primary format of home entertainment from DVD to Blu-ray.

Before joining Disney in 1993, Mr. Chapek worked in brand management at H.J. Heinz Company and in advertising at J. Walter Thompson.

Mr. Chapek earned a B.S. in Microbiology at Indiana University Bloomington and an MBA from Michigan State University.

Of course it is WAY too early to judge, but I have to say that having someone from consumer products now running the parks raises a red flag. One one hand, you can imagine that the parks will continue to be a giant cash cow since I am sure his expertise will help on the merchandise/sales/marketing side (which is ultimately all the shareholders care about). However, you have to worry if the parks will become too sales driven and lose sight of the guest experience (attractions, service, etc.)

I actually LOVE what they are doing to the AP prices. Either make them pay their fair share or clear out so there's room for the park to make more money off of tourists!

Makes me think that another major announcement is coming soon and this is just the first step in preparing for it.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/02/neil-patrick-harris-joins-mickey-mouse-as-host-of-the-all-new-world-of-color-show-for-the-disneyland-resort-diamond-celebration/

Today, we’re pleased to announce that Neil will be joining Mickey Mouse as host of the all-new “World of Color – Celebrate!,” opening May 22 at Disney California Adventure park as part of the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration. Neil, himself a fan of Disney Parks, will bring his unique style of humor and charm to this special edition of the popular “World of Color” show.

“World of Color – Celebrate! The Wonderful World of Walt Disney” illuminates the night in a celebration of the unparalleled imagination of Walt Disney. Mickey Mouse and Neil take us on a fun-filled and inspirational journey, exploring Walt’s decades-long legacy of memorable animated moments and his dream of Disneyland park, and culminating in a madcap musical tour of Disneyland Resort attractions as you’ve never seen them before!

Since its premiere in 2010, “World of Color” has amazed millions of Disney California Adventure park guests using a groundbreaking “stage” of nearly 1 full acre of engineered superstructure, longer than a football field. Nearly 1,200 programmable fountains and a vast underwater grid with more than 20,000 points of control send water to heights of up to 200 feet; shooting higher than Mickey’s Fun Wheel. The show employs nearly 30 high-definition projectors to take the audience on a journey through some of Disney’s most beloved animated moments.

The all-new “World of Color – Celebrate!” is just one part of our dazzling Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration, which kicks off May 22 along with the new “Paint the Night” parade and the fully-immersive new “Disneyland Forever” fireworks spectacular. We’ll have even more to tell you as we get closer, so keep following Disney Parks Blog and join the conversation with hashtag #Disneyland60.

I'm not really sure what to make of this...Neil Patrick Harris is a great performer (and a theme park nerd himself), but putting him in World of Color seems odd. Still makes me feel 'meh' about the show.

^Is he going to host while wearing nothing but his underwear and socks?

Or 20 minutes of him singing:

Check out

the color

the water

please no selfie sticks or twitter

and no ones drunk or bitter without an annual pass!

World of color

water and light

like a magic trick

done in plain sight

why do people love it

when it's really meh?

when it's just some projections

that aren't really there?

But then i think of Simba

and Elsa

and Ariel

and Tarzan