TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^ From what I understand, they didn't have THAT much more time, but they did have a few bigger, empty areas to play with, which most certainly helps! I kind of wished they would have gotten some version of the Fireworks show, which, IMO, was the highlight of the event in WDW, but I think they have a lot more restrictions with fireworks being right in the middle of Anaheim than the resorts in Orlando do.

^ From what I understand, they didn't have THAT much more time, but they did have a few bigger, empty areas to play with, which most certainly helps! I kind of wished they would have gotten some version of the Fireworks show, which, IMO, was the highlight of the event in WDW, but I think they have a lot more restrictions with fireworks being right in the middle of Anaheim than the resorts in Orlando do.

I absolutely LOVED Frozen Fireworks at Hollywood Studios, and I'm so glad that they extended the Frozen Summer Fun events so that I got to experience it during my visit in September. Of the three fireworks shows that we watched, the other two being Wishes and Illuminations, Frozen fireworks was my favorite!

I suspect you're right about the fireworks.

Wasn't LuminAria the last time DCA tried to have a fireworks show? That didn't work out so well.

Also World of Color Winter Dreams had already integrated Frozen into a nighttime show. People seemed to respond positively to that, and most here have no idea the Frozen fireworks at DHS ever happened. So with that, the fireworks restrictions, additional complaints from neighbors about now two fireworks shows instead of one, etc etc I'm sure the idea of having an additional Frozen fireworks show right next door to Disneyland was quickly shot down.

It's a shame though. The Frozen fireworks show did look pretty good. Maybe later this year I'll have a chance to see it at WDW. If Disneyland's Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks show ever gets replaced, you can bet they'll be looking at the Frozen Summer Fun fireworks show for some inspiration.

When we checked out the event in Orlando a few weeks ago I had no idea that there was a line for the snow play area, when we entered the building we just walked up to the edge of the snow are and set our daughter over the edge to play around before we realized there was an hour long line to get into the snow, haha. I felt kind of bad but I don't think i was the only one who made that mistake (hey at least we weren't intentionally skipping the line, honestly!)

Looks like a great event and I'm glad the Frozen stuff has a presence at the California parks, anything related to that movie just seems to have a different kind of presences in the parks.

Wasn't LuminAria the last time DCA tried to have a fireworks show? That didn't work out so well.

As I recall, they used mostly ground fireworks and there were a lot of issues with smoke hanging over the park.

It was mainly an issue with the type of fireworks the used and where they were located (in the lagoon). Which is why you see limited lagoon based fireworks and its all backstage. They way they do it now works totally fine. They have used fireworks in the last three NYE and 4th of July events on DCA with its current setup.

I've never heard of "Three Kings Day."

It's technical on January 6th and is also frequently called "Epiphany". The song "The 12 Days of Christmas" refer to the twelve days from Christmas Day leading to Epiphany (with Christmas Day being the 1st Day of Christmas and January 5th being the 12th Day of Christmas). Most Christan churches will transfer Epiphany to whatever Sunday falls between January 2nd and January 8th, so for Disney to run theirs from the 2nd to the 6th is technically correct (within tradition). Overall, it's a convenient way for Disney to extend their Christmas event beyond New Years...

And that's your religious history lesson for today...

3 Kings Day is celebrated much more in Latin culture than US culture. You also see a lot more Dia De Los Muertos celebration here in Southern California during Halloween. I learned about it in my visits to Mexico and it's actually a really cool celebration and progression of events.

I've never heard of "Three Kings Day."

It's technical on January 6th and is also frequently called "Epiphany". The song "The 12 Days of Christmas" refer to the twelve days from Christmas Day leading to Epiphany (with Christmas Day being the 1st Day of Christmas and January 5th being the 12th Day of Christmas). Most Christan churches will transfer Epiphany to whatever Sunday falls between January 2nd and January 8th, so for Disney to run theirs from the 2nd to the 6th is technically correct (within tradition). Overall, it's a convenient way for Disney to extend their Christmas event beyond New Years...

And that's your religious history lesson for today...

Thank you.

Which is such a shame, because I thought LuminAria was actually kind of beautiful. But I think I'm in a very small/nonexistent minority having that opinion...

In the south, especially New Orleans, Kings Day/Three Kings Day is very much celebrated(especially in the more Catholic cities)....it just so happens to also be the start of the Mardi Gras season(Mardi Gras King Cake starts getting sold on Jan 6th, traditionally)

In the northeast, Three Kings Day is a holiday that's sole purpose is to provide an excuse for everyone who haven't taken their tree down yet or stopped turning on the Christmas lights. We all just pretend we're leaving everything on until Three Kings Day. Unfortunately now I guess we need to put all this stuff away. lol

It was mainly an issue with the type of fireworks the used and where they were located (in the lagoon). Which is why you see limited lagoon based fireworks and its all backstage. They way they do it now works totally fine. They have used fireworks in the last three NYE and 4th of July events on DCA with its current setup.

Beat me to it. I believe they designed a new air launched system. I wish they would add more pyro to World of Color...

Edited by Jew

Here is the concept art that was released when the whole DCA re-do was announced.

DCA2.jpg.ab2d302fa989a2122d58799bb19dd324.jpg

Though this isn't current anymore, I would bet this is extremely close to what the new land will look like. All the current buildings are there, just repainted with different themeing or coverings. The two biggest changes would be the new land entrance and the new skin on the "engine test rig"

dca4.thumb.jpg.47926ce203df1cb9a40843ee8eaa0c1d.jpg This structure will see the biggest aesthetic change I think.