TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

All I can say about this is that I liked ElecTRONica but never bothered to attend the Mad T Party. I honestly couldn't care less if there isn't another nighttime party, but if there is I'm hoping its got a more interesting theme (as suggested on another site, a Marvel themed party could be good, especially if Disney is interested in developing a Marvel Land for DCA). I just really hope Disney doesn't do something dumb like a Frozen nighttime party because the primary audience of their family movies is probably not the primary audience of this type of event.

I'm planning another drip to DLR and had a few questions:

1) We will be visiting on February 6-7. I know this is a weekend so the crowds will be higher than a weekday, but do locals affect crowds that much in the cooler seasons?

2) We are getting a two-day park hopper, but if one of the two days is an extra magic morning at DCA, do the Radiator Springs Racers fast passes usually "sell out" before the park opens for regular guests? I know I need to go there first thing either way.

3) Any food suggestions would be appreciated (prefer some sit-down, moderately priced recommendations).

^

1. Fridays at Disneyland often have low crowds in the mornings and heavy crowds in the evenings because of the number of passholders that come after school or work. Saturdays are always busy, though Sundays are often worse due to So Cal passes being valid on Sunday but not Saturday.

2. Friday and Sunday are usually early entry at DCA and Saturday at Disneyland. Radiator Springs Racers does not start distributing Fastpasses until official opening time, but a line will form during the early entry period. It may be quicker to go straight to Radiator Springs Racers and ride using the standby or single rider lines rather than waiting for a Fastpass.

3. I don't do sit-down restaurants inside the parks very often, but from what I hear the Carnation Café on Main Street and Café Orleans in New Orleans Square are the best full-service restaurants inside Disneyland. I've never visited it, but many people say Carthay Circle at DCA is really good (although a bit more expensive). In the Downtown Disney area, my favorite is Naples, and Storyteller's Café at the Grand Californian is a good moderately priced full service restaurant.

One of the 5,000,000 marathons they do took place this morning.

I was told by a CM who actually operates all marathons on both coasts, that there is only 4 a year for each resort. I said I didn't believe it... LOL. But there's apparently only 4 per year at each resort.

It's because all the events take up the whole weekend and have multiple races. So I guess it's technically true to say there are only 4 events per resort.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/11/made-with-magic-items-now-available-at-disney-parks/

I’m happy to announce that Made With Magic items are now available at Disney Parks. You may recall my recent Disney Parks Blog article about Made With Magic, the new name for products that light up and interact with select Disney experiences at Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts. I recently visited Fantasmic! at Disney’s Hollywood Studios to get a first hand look at these new products.

As the sun set on another beautiful Florida day, I saw these items in action at the top of the Hollywood Hills Theater just before seating opened for the first Fantasmic! show. We currently offer a Disney ear hat, a Minnie Mouse headband and a Sorcerer Mickey wand. A light-up Mickey Mouse glove will be coming to Disney Parks in spring 2015. Each Made With Magic item has a retail of $25.00 (that retail includes tax).

My favorite item is the Sorcerer Mickey wand as it has the ability to change other Made With Magic items. It’s pretty easy to use. To change the color patterns on the wand, press the artist pallet button. Once you find a color pattern you like, you can press the wand button to change other Made With Magic items. I changed an entire display of Disney ear hats with just one wand (I wonder if I can use this wand to clean up my apartment as that would be amazing).

Look for these items in select merchandise locations at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and at Magic Kingdom Park in Florida. Guests in California can find these items in various merchandise locations in Disneyland park and in Disney’s California Adventure park.

MWM690031.jpg.2a33adda5c6accb4a071af60fcdc0f0d.jpg

MWM690032.jpg.71974be3d7b75eb1521b4617427b0941.jpg

MWM690033.jpg.6536474b32950b10f8391daec2d897c1.jpg

I'm sure Disney has thought it out, but I am definitely curious to see how this works. World of Color was at least designed to somewhat handle fastpass/breaking things up by section. Fantasmic ends up broken up into sections, but I'm definitely interested to see how it works when all the sections are assigned.

^Agreed. I'm sure there is bound to be some unhappy, self-entitled APs that are used to walking up 5 minutes prior to show time and slipping underneath a rope into a viewing section. It will have some kinks but I have no doubt they are prepared to deal with those and will graciously accept guest feedback.

I was just reflecting upon my recent trip to LA (as you do when winter sets in) and our day at DLR, which for a random weekday was still mobbed because of the incredible Cars Land, but one not so great lasting impression stuck with me, the lack of "Disney" customer service *ducks behind reinforced wall*

We felt that our trip this summer at Disneyland Paris had about the same level of casual friendliness but nothing you wouldn't find at many other parks across the States. I sincerely hope that WDW are maintaining their ever high standards but just wondered if anyone else can explain this, is it an LA thing or were all the staff I encountered just burnt out?

^I'd like to know what that one encounter was before passing judgement. I've only had two bad encounters in 20 years of going to Disneyland, so I'd like to think that bad experiences are the outlier and not the norm.

Certainly not bad experiences just very indifferent and lacking any sort of the typical Disney warmth or positivity, and I meant generally throughout the resort not just one encounter i.e ride staff looking disinterested, counter service staff very much the same, none of the "how's your day going" or "how are you" just "that'll be $10.95". I'd argue that on this visit we had a lot more positive interaction with staff at Universal and even very slightly to some extent at SFMM (yes you read that right, blasphemy I know! ).

For example, the staff at every TOT we've been on often make great efforts to fit in with the theme, but here it was completely missing, straight up Six Flags semi-efficiency and nothing else. Even in Paris the guy loading the elevator was making a huge effort with a creepy laugh to freak people out and talking various languages.

We just came away feeling a little cheated and let down after paying $150 each for our day there to pretty much feel like we could have been at any park/resort (other than WDW, Tokyo Disney and Dollywood). It didn't help that it was very busy for a 3 out of 10 day (on most crowd calendars), we still managed to get around everything we wanted to do but with minimal re-rides.

I'm not intending to start any sort of huge argument, it was just an observation that I wanted to mention on here and was curious if there really is a difference between East & West and also if there are any specific politics behind it.