TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Screamin' rarely has a stand-by wait longer than 30 minutes, even on busy days. Strongly recommended that you hit Carsland 1st as Elissa recommended because Racers FPs are gone by 9/10 AM.

Also - anything near Long Beach (1/2 day there) that we simply shouldn't miss? Preferably off the beaten path kinda things.

If you've never been on a Zamperla Disko you can hit up Golf N' Stuff in Norwalk. That's only if you feel the need to be a credit whore.

Screamin' rarely has a stand-by wait longer than 30 minutes, even on busy days. Strongly recommended that you hit Carsland 1st as Elissa recommended because Racers FPs are gone by 9/10 AM.

Also - anything near Long Beach (1/2 day there) that we simply shouldn't miss? Preferably off the beaten path kinda things.

If you've never been on a Zamperla Disko you can hit up Golf N' Stuff in Norwalk. That's only if you feel the need to be a credit whore.

Are you calling a Zamperla Disko a coaster? Im pretty liberal with counting, and i couldn't even thinking of counting them.

A couple of quick questions about an upcoming trip to Disneyland I have planned. More a "re-assurance" than anything. My wife and I are flying out from WV and for a training and we will essentially have one day to hit a park. I chose Disney because we also have a 1 year old, and being we were just at Disneyworld, I felt like Disney would provide all the necessary thing such as Parent swap, etc. that would let us maximize our trip. So, my plan is as follows:

Staying at a hotel across the street - plan on parking there for the day and just walking to the gate. We'll do the park hopper and start with DCA - straight to fastpass for California Screamin and then hit Cars Land. We plan on hitting the major rides within 3-4 hours and then back to the hotel for the sons nap. Back to Disneyland around 3 or so and then to hit all the major rides there and close the night out with Fantasmic. We'll be at the park this Friday, so do you think we should adjust the amount of times between the parks? Or should we be good? We'll also do a quick counter service meal probably in Disneyland - opinions on places that might have the healthiest "kids" meals?

The timing just depends on what your son will allow you to do, lol. Ive been to lots of theme parks with children, and they always end up dictating arrival and departure times, haha. But the tines you have sound good.

As for food, its better to look up the menus online. Here is the dining guide: Link

As for Long Beach, it really depends n what your'e interested in, its a cool city with lots to do. There are some fantastic restaurants and such. What type of thing did you have in mind?

Some Long Beach Options are:

Queen Mary

Aquarium of the Pacific

The Pike

Fuego Reataurant

The Attic Restaurant

Tantalum Restaurant

Shopping and great dining on 2nd St. (I recommend Nicks on 2nd, or Tavern on 2

Not sure how many of these places offer kids menus, but I've been to every one and they are all great!

Will hit up Cars Land first and then the other things (ToT, California Screamin, etc.) I would love to go whorin' out to so many of the other parks and places out here, but since we have the wee one in tote, and being on a budget, we decided on Disney and not really much else. We also planned on fast food save for one big nice meal, and without question the places mentioned will be on our list now. Thanks for the advice and if I ever get around to updating my trip report from summer hopefully both Disney's will be on there!

Are you calling a Zamperla Disko a coaster? Im pretty liberal with counting, and i couldn't even thinking of counting them.

I agree, however I was just throwing the option out there as it may not be a coaster but it's a hell of a lot of fun!

If you're the sort of person into that thing, there's a Fascination parlor in Long Beach that plays for money.

I was so close to looking for a parlor in SoCal before WCB. Oh well, we had a tight schedule on the trip, anyway.

Coincidentally, just today I dreamed of going to my local parlor. Except in the dream, it was GIANT Fascination.

We all knew this was coming.....

No more Guest Assistance Cards @ DLR/WDW. Good riddance. It sucks for the guests that truly needed it but abuse of the system was rampant and I'm glad it got addressed.

Let the bitching begin! I have already read on another site where the person is complaining about having only one pass at a time. They also get a bonus because they can pull a fastpass too. Glad to see the system changed.

Good!

I like everything about this new system except the ability to get a DASpass then immediately get a FastPass. After you get a DASpass you should be blocked from getting a FastPass until your DASpass return time is active. Closing that loop hole will really put an end to the GAC/DAS abuse.

^To be fair, a normal guest would have that same ability: grab a fastpass for one ride, and then go wait in line for another ride.

A regular guest cannot get in a standby line for Space Mountain and half way through the line leave and get a FastPass for Indiana Jones, then return to the same place in line at Space Mountain.

This is what this DASpass virtually does, and is a big loop hole and will be exploited. DAS users will still have a big advantage over the regular guest.

^Well unless that guest was a single rider, theoretically someone else in their party could do just that.

You are correct that there is technically still an advantage for GAS holders since they don't have to physically be in the line, but since that article says you can only have a GAS reservation for one ride at a time---the advantage is as minimal as it can be while still complying with the ADA laws.

^I think the main thing here is that Disney have removed the perceived 'preferential treatment' of anyone with a GAC pass, which will no doubt go down poorly with anyone who was abusing the existing system. The DAS setup seems pretty fair, good to see that they're keeping the front-of-line passes for the Make-a-Wish kids as well.

Two thumbs up from me. As someone who this directly affects (my son is handicapped and in a wheelchair), this policy matches what most parks do. Our last trip to WDW in 2008 had the GAC and we weren't comfortable having immediate access to the rides when there was an hour+ wait. Even back then we saw many people who appeared to be abusing the system.

We are just appreciative that most of the parks do have something like DAS where we can wheel him through the ride exit and I transfer him to the ride where we can ride as a family. He doesn't ride the big coasters (but LOVES dark rides) and my daughter and I wait in line just like everyone else. You'll note that we just don't go to the parks during the busy times but plan most of our trips when we know parks won't be as busy.

Thankfully most parks are starting to put in family restrooms but that's a whole different topic.

EXCELLENT. I'm SO glad this is happening. My father is disabled, and I'd have no problem if we were given even a virtual wait time!

It's hilarious seeing all the whining done... Oh not here, but on other sites. My FAVORITE complaints are the "My child is special needs how could you DO this Disney!" One comment made me LOL because she said that "Disney shows no compassion for these types of kids".

WELL.... Disney could just take the system away and make you SUCK IT UP... but they're at least doing SOMETHING. Of course, almost everyone who is whining are the ones who abused the system the most.

^Great point! Kudos to Disney to make sure they are going out of their way to provide a tiny bit of sanity to these families who are going through so much. I am always honored to be able to donate to GKTW and Make-a-wish and help them in any way that I can.

This is VERY interesting news....

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Disneyland-Disabled-No-Longer-Skip-Lines-224810762.html

Disneyland: Disabled Will No Longer Skip Lines

People with disabilities will no longer go straight to the front of lines at Disneyland and Walt Disney World under a policy change park officials say is a response to growing abuse of the system.

Under the change, visitors with special needs will be issued tickets with a return time and a shorter wait similar to the FastPass system that's offered to everyone.

The current approach to accommodating disabled park-goers "certainly has been problematic, and we wanted to curb some of the abuse of this system," Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown told the Orange County Register.

"We have an unwavering commitment to making our parks accessible to all guests," Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown said in a statement. "Given the increasing volume of requests we receive for special access to our attractions, we are changing our process to create a more consistent experience for all our guests while providing accommodations for guests with disabilities."

The change takes effect Oct. 9 for guests with park-issued disability cards. Disney officials said more details will be released after park employees are briefed on the new rules.

Currently, visitors unable to wait in the regular line can get backdoor access to rides or go through the exit and wait in a shorter line.

Anne Hardstaff has a card because of her arthritic knee condition. She will need to use the new time reservation card, starting next month.

"I can't stand for a long time," said Hardstaff, of Australia, who visited the Anaheim, Calif. park Monday. "You can imagine the line. You wait 20, 30 minutes -- I can' do it."

Brown compared the change to making a reservation and boarding at the appointed time.

The move was in part a response to the phenomenon of disabled "tour guides" who charge money, sometimes hundreds of dollars, to accompany able-bodied guests and allow them to avoid long lines.

The park said others who don't have a disability have been able to get an assistance card since no proof of disability is required.

Some families of children with epilepsy and autism criticized the change, saying their kids' disabilities make it too hard for them to wait in standard lines.

Rebecca Goddard takes her sons, age 4 and 6, to Disneyland once a week. Her sons have autism and can't stand in lines longer than a few minutes before they start pushing other people.

"My boys don't have the cognition to understand why it's going to be a long wait," Goddard told the Register. "There are so few things for my boys that bring them utter joy and happiness - to mess with it just makes me sad."

The advocacy group, Autism Speaks, consulted with Disney officials on the change and urged parents to see how it unfolds. Brown called the program "in line with the rest of our industry."

"Change is difficult," said Matt Asner, executive director of the Southern California chapter. "I didn't want it to change, but I understand there was an issue that needed to be dealt with."

Rebecca Goddard takes her sons, age 4 and 6, to Disneyland once a week. Her sons have autism and can't stand in lines longer than a few minutes before they start pushing other people.

"My boys don't have the cognition to understand why it's going to be a long wait," Goddard told the Register. "There are so few things for my boys that bring them utter joy and happiness - to mess with it just makes me sad."

Crap like this just annoys me. Anyone who goes to Disneyland once a week should know better that there are PLENTY of things they can do in the park, that don't require standing in lines more than a few minutes that they can do inbetween their "Disabled Person FastPass" time slot. This is just a poor excuse because they are losing their unlimited front of the line access pass.

These people just want to abuse the system and I'm GLAD to see Disney make this change.

Love that Autism Speaks is on-board with the change in policy. I couldn't be happier that this abuse of the current system is being addressed. Technically this process has already been in effect since '99. It's called FASTPASS.