TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I like to try to do my homework before asking questions. However I'm overwhelmed by what I'm finding on the Disneyland site. I know some of you experts can help me out.

I previously posted that we'll be doing a west coast trip over Christmas. My daughter's 15th birthday falls when we will be in Anaheim. I have already promised her that I would make sure we'll be in Disneyland that day. (In my book, DCA also qualifies since we'll be getting multi-day park hopper passes.) Looking at the birthday information on their site, I see that I can also order a custom cake and have it delivered to the restaurant of our choice.

Now my question, does anybody have some restaurant suggestions for me for a teenage girl's birthday? I see they have numerous choices. Cost is not really a factor and we're not particular about a specific cuisine. She's also not big into princesses.

We have never been to California so their parks are completely new to us. Any advice is appreciated before I call Disneyland to make reservations. I know it's really up to us on what we want to eat and spend. I'm curious as to what restaurants are more 'teen friendly.'

I think Ariel's Grotto might be a good option. I personally would take that over Blue Bayou. While Blue Bayou is good, I've always found it to be overrated compared to other comparable disney dining options. Other options include Carthay Circle in DCA (In the same ballpark as Napa Rose in price, though cuisine style varies), and Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel tops my list for favorite "casual" disney hotel dining experience. The hotel restaurants are open to the public, though Goofy's Kitchen and Napa Rose will most likely require reservations, especially if you are going with a group.

Menus are posted online. You can look at each individual restaurant and decide for yourself.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/

Thank you, DoubleOKevin and Gnome. You have helped narrow down my list so we can decide from there. We are staying at a campground offsite so will be classified as 'general public' and not resort guests but it's good to know we can eat anywhere. Since it will be a few days after Christmas, we'll make reservations regardless.

Yeah, I saw the menus online but thank you for the link. That is why I started this post after seeing a few pages of options. Now I have a much smaller number to research.

I saw the show Monday night, and once again I couldn't believe how blurry the projections were.

Hey, me too! I definitely was not wildly impressed, and didn't even bother trying to maximize my view.

Single rider line saved me on the Matterhorn, especially since I initially didn't remember which credit I already had. While the ride is far from smooth, I didn't find the trains painful, perhaps in part because I preemptively held on tight to the bar. The left side seemed a little more jerky, but also slightly faster and more exciting.

Put me on the not that impressed by World of Color as well. I wonder if it was our view? Yellow area. I feel the show is missing a story like all other Disney shows.

I kind of felt bad using the single rider line on Matterhorn. The line looked to be at least 30 minutes and we rode both sides in less then 10 minutes. I agree that the left side was better.

I saw the show Monday night, and once again I couldn't believe how blurry the projections were.

Hey, me too! I definitely was not wildly impressed, and didn't even bother trying to maximize my view.

Single rider line saved me on the Matterhorn, especially since I initially didn't remember which credit I already had. While the ride is far from smooth, I didn't find the trains painful, perhaps in part because I preemptively held on tight to the bar. The left side seemed a little more jerky, but also slightly faster and more exciting.

Put me on the not that impressed by World of Color as well. I wonder if it was our view? Yellow area. I feel the show is missing a story like all other Disney shows.

That's the number one comment about WoC, it doesn't have a story arch. It did in development, but that fell apart during programming. The new winter show will have a story (well, as much of a story as Fantasmic has) and hopefully the main show will be changed to also have a story.

The better viewing for the show it from the center to the left when looking at the water. The farther left, the better the view.

I really need someone to clarify something for me. I'm doing a last minute trip to the parks tomorrow and Wednesday.

Haunted Mansion Holiday and Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy. Are they open with the halloween themeing all the time or just on the Halloween Party event dates?

Thanks!

^Haunted Mansion Holiday is easily the better version of the ride, too. Especially if you like Nightmare Before Christmas!

HMH is great, but I wouldn't concede that it's the better version. I think people might say it's better cause it's limited and they don't ride it as often; but for me, even though I love HMH, I still prefer the normal version.

New post from the blog!

Disney Parks Blog

Last month, we gave you the news that Thor – from “The Avengers” and the upcoming movie “Thor: The Dark World” – would be coming to Disneyland park this fall. Today, I’m happy to share even more about this exciting new experience, opening November 1.

Astrophysicist Jane Foster, who established a special relationship with Thor, has been studying the “Bifrost,” a cosmic bridge that allows Thor to travel between the Nine Realms, including Earth. She has determined that the Bifrost is set to open again in Southern California and pinpointed the precise location as Innoventions at Disneyland park.

Inside Innoventions, Foster and her team are preparing for the opening of the Bifrost with the installation of Thor: Treasures of Asgard, a collection of objects brought to Earth straight from Asgard. After viewing the exhibit, you’ll be invited to enter a chamber where the Bifrost will transport you to Asgard for an audience with Thor himself!

I’m certainly looking forward to meeting Thor at Disneyland park, starting November 1. What about you? Let us know in the comments.

And here’s the latest look at “Thor: The Dark World,” coming to theaters November 8.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

This is interesting... lol. But I will never like Innoventions, haha.

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

New post from the blog!

Disney Parks Blog

Last month, we gave you the news that Thor – from “The Avengers” and the upcoming movie “Thor: The Dark World” – would be coming to Disneyland park this fall. Today, I’m happy to share even more about this exciting new experience, opening November 1.

Astrophysicist Jane Foster, who established a special relationship with Thor, has been studying the “Bifrost,” a cosmic bridge that allows Thor to travel between the Nine Realms, including Earth. She has determined that the Bifrost is set to open again in Southern California and pinpointed the precise location as Innoventions at Disneyland park.

Inside Innoventions, Foster and her team are preparing for the opening of the Bifrost with the installation of Thor: Treasures of Asgard, a collection of objects brought to Earth straight from Asgard. After viewing the exhibit, you’ll be invited to enter a chamber where the Bifrost will transport you to Asgard for an audience with Thor himself!

I’m certainly looking forward to meeting Thor at Disneyland park, starting November 1. What about you? Let us know in the comments.

And here’s the latest look at “Thor: The Dark World,” coming to theaters November 8.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

So they can't get people in the park to go into the building, now they have to open the Bifrost and get people from the 9 Realms!

I kind of felt bad using the single rider line on Matterhorn. The line looked to be at least 30 minutes and we rode both sides in less then 10 minutes. I agree that the left side was better.

Same here, but like you said it might have been the viewing area. I was in yellow as well. I ended up leaving before the show was over.

Same here, but like you said it might have been the viewing area. I was in yellow as well. I ended up leaving before the show was over.

Edit: There's obviously and issue. I'm sure they are working on it, and hopefully it'll be resolved by the time winter dreams premieres.

Something else I didn't see posted here. Similar to IuminAria , Disney is allwoing guests to put Christmas Cards in the show!! Info below:

WoC Card Program

World of Color Enjoys a Seasonal Makeover this Winter

World of Color – Winter Dreams comes to Disney California Adventure Park in November!

This special holiday version of World of Color will be hosted by Olaf, the loveable snowman from the upcoming feature film from Walt Disney Animation Studios, Frozen.

Follow Olaf through these dreamlike segments:

Snow – a breathtaking ride through winter

Glow – a festive exploration of light

Enchantment – a Disney•Pixar Toy Story version of The Nutcracker

Spirit – a joyous sing-a-long

Merry & Bright – a fantastic finale that features holiday light

Your Card Could Be Part of a Special Section in World of Color – Winter Dreams

A section of this new seasonal show, World of Color – Winter Dreams, will feature reproductions of seasons' greetings cards created by Guests—like you!

Follow these instructions for your winter-themed card to be considered and, if selected, included in the special segment of this show.

FIRST…Before You Begin Making Your Card

Download and completely read the Requirements and Agreement form.

Download

Print the form and properly complete it.

This form includes important information, such as eligibility requirements (you must be a U.S. resident), card size requirements, artwork restrictions and submission guidelines.

Cards may be created by any U.S. resident of any age; however, for persons under age 18, both that person and that person's parent or legal guardian will need to sign the form where indicated, as applicable.

You and your card must meet the requirements detailed in the Requirements and Agreement form. If you, or your card, do not meet all of these requirements, your card will not be considered for inclusion in the Winter Dreams show.

NEXT…Let the Fun Begin!

Create an original card with what you think the winter holidays bring. Be creative! Be expressive! Be you!

FINALLY…Submit Your Card by Mail or In Person

Please only submit one card per person.

Your card must be accompanied by your signed Requirements and Agreement form, and you can submit your card and this form by mail or in-person. Cards that are not accompanied by a properly completed Requirements and Agreement form will not be accepted.

Due to the anticipated number of card submissions, receipt of your card cannot be acknowledged, nor will your card be returned. If your card is included in the show, credit attribution for your card might not be made.

Mail Submissions: Address your postage pre-paid mail containing your card, with your properly completed Requirements and Agreement form to:

World of Color – Winter Dreams

700 West Ball Road

MC:9200 / TDA 336X

Anaheim CA 92802

Cards must be postmarked by September 20, 2013.

OR

Deliver In-Person: Place your card, with your properly completed Requirements and Agreement form, in the drop box at World of Disney Store located in Downtown Disney District.

The drop box will be available now through September 20, 2013 during store hours.

I do hope it looks better after the changes. I've seen it in the middle and in the left and my opinion on it then was more or less the same, just with the yellow version being a little worse. They did do maintenance on WoC the beginning of this year (before the other day I hadn't seen it since last year) which I think is the only maintenance that's been done on this, so maybe the fountains/projectors are being beaten up by the weather or something.

Hopefully they fix whatever's going on, because while there's no sensible story (which would make it a lot better), it's still awesome to look at.

^No. There are at least two of us.

That's not to say it can't be improved, and some sections are severely lacking. And I definitely don't get why some people line up for 3 hours to get a good viewing spot, that's just crazy.

I very much enjoy the show and all the tech stuff that goes into it. I am happy the new show seems to have a different layout of story then the normal version of WoC.

Agreed. Just bring on more Pirates fire lol. I'm definitely going to see this version with high hopes and will actually go get my fastpass in the morning.

Something else I didn't see posted here. Similar to IuminAria , Disney is allwoing guests to put Christmas Cards in the show!! Info below:

I'd rather have the fireworks from LuminAria, now that Disney has improved the launching technology.

The original issues with LuminAria still remain, and is evident in the 4th of July celebration on the bay. It was the smoke, and the available fall out area. When they launch from behind Screamin' it mostly works just fine, and the smoke doesn't affect the show. But when they launch the low level pyro off the platform at water level, it blankets the bay in smoke on most occasions. A way around this is to use the Air Launch system with the Smokeless Pyro. But you can only get so much out of that type of shell, and they are very expensive. So, while it is possible, it isn't cost effective for a normal daily show.

A couple of quick questions about an upcoming trip to Disneyland I have planned. More a "re-assurance" than anything. My wife and I are flying out from WV and for a training and we will essentially have one day to hit a park. I chose Disney because we also have a 1 year old, and being we were just at Disneyworld, I felt like Disney would provide all the necessary thing such as Parent swap, etc. that would let us maximize our trip. So, my plan is as follows:

Staying at a hotel across the street - plan on parking there for the day and just walking to the gate. We'll do the park hopper and start with DCA - straight to fastpass for California Screamin and then hit Cars Land. We plan on hitting the major rides within 3-4 hours and then back to the hotel for the sons nap. Back to Disneyland around 3 or so and then to hit all the major rides there and close the night out with Fantasmic. We'll be at the park this Friday, so do you think we should adjust the amount of times between the parks? Or should we be good? We'll also do a quick counter service meal probably in Disneyland - opinions on places that might have the healthiest "kids" meals?

Also - anything near Long Beach (1/2 day there) that we simply shouldn't miss? Preferably off the beaten path kinda things.