TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I don't think it's ever been completely replaced like Space Mountain or Big Thunder, but sections have definitely be replaced for needed maintenance.

Went to DLR last weekend for the Half-Marathon and had a great time as always. Matterhorn (Fantasyland Side) gave me peopbably the best ride I've had in the new trains, but it definitely is less comfotable than the old trains. I also am bummed how long it will take before I can take my niece on the ride. She's tall enough for the old tains but has some growing to do for the new ones.

Also, Then new Mara effect on Indy is awesome! It doesn't make or break the ride, but it's a really cool effect and much better than the strobe/smoke effect.

Has the track itself on Matterhorn ever been replaced across the whole ride? If not the original track would be 54 years old!

^I think some track was replaced during the 1978 refurb, but I'm not entirely sure.

I don't think it's ever been completely replaced like Space Mountain or Big Thunder, but sections have definitely be replaced for needed maintenance.

Went to DLR last weekend for the Half-Marathon and had a great time as always. Matterhorn (Fantasyland Side) gave me peopbably the best ride I've had in the new trains, but it definitely is less comfotable than the old trains. I also am bummed how long it will take before I can take my niece on the ride. She's tall enough for the old tains but has some growing to do for the new ones.

Also, Then new Mara effect on Indy is awesome! It doesn't make or break the ride, but it's a really cool effect and much better than the strobe/smoke effect.

They've replaced sections throughout the years, but never a full overhaul.

Nearly the ENTIRE track on the Matterhorn was replaced the last time it was down for a major refurb. It was not done by the company that did space (and is currently doing thunder). It was done in-house buy the awesome maintenance team.

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

I have a question that some of the Disneyland regulars or locals may be able to answer. I am getting ready to make my yearly trip to Disneyland and staying at my regular hotel (Anaheim Plaza Inn). I usually arrive early evening and get a 5 day park hopper for everyone. We have also gotten into the park around 7:00 PM the first day and burnt the first day of the pass on just a few rides. I am looking at changing my strategy this year and not going in the first night, thus getting a 4 day ticket instead.

Are there any attractions around the area in walking distance that have ticket games like "Chuck E Cheese" has? Games like Skee Ball, etc... that may also offer some sort of food options. Just looking for something that shells out the tickets for prizes that are way overpriced.

I have a question that some of the Disneyland regulars or locals may be able to answer. I am getting ready to make my yearly trip to Disneyland and staying at my regular hotel (Anaheim Plaza Inn). I usually arrive early evening and get a 5 day park hopper for everyone. We have also gotten into the park around 7:00 PM the first day and burnt the first day of the pass on just a few rides. I am looking at changing my strategy this year and not going in the first night, thus getting a 4 day ticket instead.

Are there any attractions around the area in walking distance that have ticket games like "Chuck E Cheese" has? Games like Skee Ball, etc... that may also offer some sort of food options. Just looking for something that shells out the tickets for prizes that are way overpriced.

There's a place at the Anaheim Gardenwalk which is just down the street from Disney called Bowlmor. It's a bowling alley complete with mini golf, an arcade with ticket games and boardwalk games, and a restaurant/bar area. It'd be worth checking out. Here's the link www.bowlmor.com/anaheim/

No, they are completely different in many ways. The main difference is that Space Mountain in Florida uses a T shaped lap bar, allowing the rides legs to through hols in the side of the seat accommodating taller and bigger people. The new Matterhorn sleds instead use a monitored seat belt (like on Indy, Dinosaur, Star Tours, Ect..) With the seat belt, there are no holes in the seat in front of you to put your legs, making it more cramped in the sled. And the solution to adding more space per seat was the reduce padding.

Wow. This is the best explanation, and also is pretty disheartening. I went on Space in Florida this summer, and was SUPER uncomfortable, opting not to walk back on it with another Fast Lane pass because I found it so uncomfortable. I can't imagine sitting in these now.

And the height requirement SUCKS.

I hope they look into re-modifying these to make them better. I thought the Matterhorn was jarring and uncomfortable last time with the old trains, this sounds like pure evil.

The ENTIRE track on the Matterhorn was replaced the last time it was down for a major refurb. It was not done by the company that did space (and is currently doing thunder). It was done in-house buy the awesome maintenance team.

Yeah, sorry. Not buying that one for a second. It would have been totally obvious that the track was all new, it definitely is not.

The ENTIRE track on the Matterhorn was replaced the last time it was down for a major refurb. It was not done by the company that did space (and is currently doing thunder). It was done in-house buy the awesome maintenance team.

Yeah, sorry. Not buying that one for a second. It would have been totally obvious that the track was all new, it definitely is not.

I sold them the material to do it...lol. They didn't change the profile of the coaster at all, they only replaced the tubular steel. If you start with an aggressive layout, your'e going to end with the same thing. That's not to say there isn't some old track still there though. When they redid Space, they left the station, and transfer tracks. As well as the maintenance track.

There most certainly was track replacement on Matterhorn, but it was similar to the rehab that Big Thunder is currently going through.

They didn't re-track the whole layout, be certain parts were definitely replaced.

Edited by SoCalCoasters

The Disney Parks Blog has some new info on World Of Color Winter Dreams:

Disney Parks Blog

Behind the Scenes: New Custom Animation for ‘World of Color – Winter Dreams’ at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on September 11th, 2013 by Steven Davison, Imagineer, Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment

Happy Holidays! ‘World of Color – Winter Dreams’ is coming up faster than you can imagine. This new holiday water spectacular is going to be visually breathtaking!

As part of show, we are working closely with our partners at Walt Disney Animation Studios. This outstanding group of artists is going out of their way to bring new and amazing animation to the show. From classics like “Bambi,” to new characters like Olaf from the upcoming animated feature “Frozen,” all are being customized for the “World of Color” fountain/projection stage.

To tell you a little bit more about it and give you a look behind the scenes, here’s a video with Dave Bossert, Producer and Creative Director of Special Projects for Walt Disney Animation Studios. He’s going to chat about about the custom work they are doing for the all-new show.

Season’s Greetings!

I'm excited to see this! Theres a lot of work going into this show, and a lot they haven't announced yet!!

When is the debut date of the show? I am saving my next Carthay Circle lunch or dinner WOC combo to see this updated show. The Carthay Circle viewing area was pretty great. Nice and centered, and could walk up to it within minutes of the show starting.

I saw the show Monday night, and once again I couldn't believe how blurry the projections were. Like seriously, I thought it was bad last time but this was worse. Do the fountains need some sort of massive refurbishment or something? It looks like crap to the point where you don't even know what you're supposed to be seeing.

Oh boy...more clip shows on water screens!

I hope this version of the show has more action. The only parts of the show I enjoyed were the Pirates and Toy Story segments, since they did more than just fountains and video.

I hope this version of the show has more action. The only parts of the show I enjoyed were the Pirates and Toy Story segments, since they did more than just fountains and video.

The Pirates segment is definitely the best part. The 'Under the Sea' clip works pretty well in the show too. On my last visit I got a spot right down the front for the first time and I noticed a lot of laser and fountain action happening right down on the water that I'd never seen before. But it's not worth lining up early just for that - and I certainly don't get the people who camp out for two hours before the show just to get a certain view.

I agree, I enjoy it more when there are more fountains. This show is a departure from the current WoC show though, and will have some really cool things in it. Its also supposed to have an actual story arch, but that can change during programming (happening right now), so we'll have to wait and see.

When is the debut date of the show? I am saving my next Carthay Circle lunch or dinner WOC combo to see this updated show. The Carthay Circle viewing area was pretty great. Nice and centered, and could walk up to it within minutes of the show starting.

The Christmas season starts on November 15th.

I like to try to do my homework before asking questions. However I'm overwhelmed by what I'm finding on the Disneyland site. I know some of you experts can help me out.

I previously posted that we'll be doing a west coast trip over Christmas. My daughter's 15th birthday falls when we will be in Anaheim. I have already promised her that I would make sure we'll be in Disneyland that day. (In my book, DCA also qualifies since we'll be getting multi-day park hopper passes.) Looking at the birthday information on their site, I see that I can also order a custom cake and have it delivered to the restaurant of our choice.

Now my question, does anybody have some restaurant suggestions for me for a teenage girl's birthday? I see they have numerous choices. Cost is not really a factor and we're not particular about a specific cuisine. She's also not big into princesses.

We have never been to California so their parks are completely new to us. Any advice is appreciated before I call Disneyland to make reservations. I know it's really up to us on what we want to eat and spend. I'm curious as to what restaurants are more 'teen friendly.'

^ I would say the best for teens when it comes to a sit down would be Blue Bayou. Other options inside the parks are Carthay Circle (too adult), Wine Country Trattoria (decent 2nd choice but not as fun), and Ariel's Grotto (too kiddie). There is also Carnation Cafe but I've only eaten there for breakfast, which is amazing.

I saw the show Monday night, and once again I couldn't believe how blurry the projections were.

Hey, me too! I definitely was not wildly impressed, and didn't even bother trying to maximize my view.

Single rider line saved me on the Matterhorn, especially since I initially didn't remember which credit I already had. While the ride is far from smooth, I didn't find the trains painful, perhaps in part because I preemptively held on tight to the bar. The left side seemed a little more jerky, but also slightly faster and more exciting.