TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^ I do not believe they race, at least I never got the impression of that when riding. Here is a hand drawing I found on the track layout awhile back to give an idea of each of the tracks course. I am not sure how accurate it is though.

trk_dl_matter.jpg.ff7ed74d34737cb33df7abb9738cbef0.jpg

This POV is making me look forward to my trip with my daughter next month.

Yay, Matterhorn! I got to ride it for the first time back in May and loved it! That being said, those trains did make for a pretty bumpy ride (being really skinny and bony didn't really help either), but I figured it was more in the track. Those are some super sharp transitions after all.

Fantastic work on those POVs, Robb!

Question- What is so bad about the new trains compared to the old ones?

The biggest complaint about the new sleds is the lack of padding. The old sleds weren't the most comfortable coaster trains either, but they had more padding and gave a smoother ride.

For tall people, like my self, the extreme lack of leg room is an issue. The old sleds you could sit "Indian style" or stretch your legs completely out. With the new sleds, there are now "pockets" built into the sides of each seat to put each leg in. The position that you have to put your legs in makes it a bit awkward and sometimes outright painful. I would hate to be stuck on this ride for any extended amount of time.

However, the addition of a Single Rider Line more than makes up for the new sleds faults. I can't tell you how many times there has been a 40min+ wait and I've just walked right onto the ride. Its awesome!

Don't you love it when theme park attractions suddenly become interactive because you know where the effects are?

I haven't been on the Matterhorn in a number of years, but it was always a little on the jarring-and-rough side--even more so with the new trains, from what I hear.

I've heard that too. It's pretty unusual if you ask me - aren't the new sleds the exact same design as the rockets on Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom? They run pretty well there. But at the same time, the track is 1950s in California versus 1970s in Florida.

Don't you love it when theme park attractions suddenly become interactive because you know where the effects are?

I haven't been on the Matterhorn in a number of years, but it was always a little on the jarring-and-rough side--even more so with the new trains, from what I hear.

I've heard that too. It's pretty unusual if you ask me - aren't the new sleds the exact same design as the rockets on Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom? They run pretty well there. But at the same time, the track is 1950s in California versus 1970s in Florida.

No, they are completely different in many ways. The main difference is that Space Mountain in Florida uses a T shaped lap bar, allowing the rides legs to through hols in the side of the seat accommodating taller and bigger people. The new Matterhorn sleds instead use a monitored seat belt (like on Indy, Dinosaur, Star Tours, Ect..) With the seat belt, there are no holes in the seat in front of you to put your legs, making it more cramped in the sled. And the solution to adding more space per seat was the reduce padding.

The old sleds also use seat belts, but the sled was a different design, and use regular un-monitored seat belts.

Old Sleds:

244359651_MatterhornBobsledsDisneyland.jpg.535d92a125fff4ffb06d669ea9bbc2bc.jpg

New Sleds:

100_8977.thumb.JPG.eb9dee0cf12ec34a042528523480c6c2.JPG

You can see the new seat belt arrangement here, and why you can have the same holes for peoples feet the Orlando's space does.

Orlando Space Rocket:

3499968411_5d0be400c5_z.jpg.26ce67d83812297f0d5a10af6ff2b35f.jpg

The red circle shows where the hole in the seats are for the riders feet.

I like the looks of the new sleds but it is too bad they are not like the ones for Space Mountain in Florida. At least with individual seats now the capacity is probably more and the loading should be faster.

The new sleds have definitely increased capacity. With the original sleds, they were capable of holding 8 people if everyone sat in pairs. This didn't happen often since many people insisted on sitting by themselves. The new sleds with individual seats (and a single rider line, which I recommend) constantly dispatch 6 so it's a higher average throughput. Also, the queue now starts off as one line that wraps around the mountain on the Tomorrowland side and once it reaches the station it splits off to the two sides, meaning a faster moving queue.

I am more familiar with the left side (Tomorrowland side) as the right side (Fantasyland side) is closed more often when I visit, but the right side has a bonus tunnel after the splashdown which I think is cooler. I need to try to ride both sides next time I'm in Disneyland to decide which side I like better. I've always wondered why Disney didn't build a Matterhorn in any of their other parks. It's one of Disneyland's signature rides, it's a nice landmark, and it's a high capacity ride.

The new trains hold 3 people per car, while the old ones held up to 4 people per car, but often held 2 people per car if they were both adults; so whether the capacity increases or decreases is a mixed bag, but it will probably increase due to the single rider line filling all the empty seats.

The new sleds have also dramatically increased the height restriction which I'm shocked no one has really mentioned.

Matterhorn used to not have a height restriction and you only had to be three years old to ride. Once they figured out everyone just lied about that, they created a 35" height restriction, which was your average three year old anyway.

The new sleds upped that to 42"... A whole seven inch difference which is HUGE!

Matterhorn now has a height restriction taller than Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror and Big Thunder.

I get it because you no longer can sit with your child, but still, that's a HUGE difference. Probably 2 years for most kids.

Anyway...

The new sleds have also dramatically increased the height restriction which I'm shocked no one has really mentioned.

Matterhorn used to not have a height restriction and you only had to be three years old to ride. Once they figured out everyone just lied about that, they created a 35" height restriction, which was your average three year old anyway.

The new sleds upped that to 42"... A whole seven inch difference which is HUGE!

Matterhorn now has a height restriction taller than Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror and Big Thunder.

I get it because you no longer can sit with your child, but still, that's a HUGE difference. Probably 2 years for most kids.

Anyway...

WOW, that has to suck if you rode it before the rehab and couldn't after.