TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

What a great, unique trip report!

I knew there was wheelchair access for a lot

of the Disney attractions, but didn't know much

about what was done, or how it was handled.

Next time I see those types of boarding equipment,

I will silently thank Disney and other parks who do

this much to make sure everybody has a great time.

Thanks for sharing your report - and I hope the rest

of your US trip went as well as the Disneyland visit.

This is what sets Disney apart from the competition.

At my home park (SFSTL) the wheelchair entrance for Screamin' Eagle is up two flights of stairs. Great job, Six Flags.

Glad you had a good time!

That was an awesome report! Made me feel good knowing that Disney is looking out for the disabled guests so much! This is why I love them! I'm glad you were able to have a great time at Disneyland and here in SoCal. I love that you're not letting your disability put you down. Can't wait to see where you go in the future!

I've traveled with some friends, one of whom needs a wheelchair, to the California and Florida parks, and have been impressed with the improvements they've made to rides to accomodate the disabled (for example, the way they can pull a train off Space Mountain for loading and the special cars for Journey into Imganiation).

Did the full 8am-midnight yesterday. Both parks were very busy (no surprise) but still managed to get on RSR with a 5 minute wait thanks to the single rider line. We skipped ToT - 80 minute wait and no fastpasses available, even at 9am. Space Mountain was also very busy with 90 minute queues all day. I've never been to DL on a reasonably crowded day before, props to the CMs for keeping the crowds moving smoothly - Disney operations are easily a cut above every other park we've visited on this trip!

Caught a performance of Mickey and the Magical Map as well - very professional and just the sort of high-capacity crowd pleaser DL needs. Seems like it's set up to swap out and add different musical numbers over time, which will keep the APs happy I guess.

I can also highly recommend the short rib at the Blue Bayou - forget the food coma-inducing monte cristo, this dish is easily the best I've ever had at a theme park!

Something I never payed any attention to until today: Disney does not like having their stage shows run late! Last Magical Magical Map show was 5:40pm today on a day they were open till Midnight.

I have delayed my yearly trip to Disneyland this year from the summer until this fall. I know Big Thunder Mountain is under a long rehab that is advertized as opening again in fall. Do any of the locals know how this rehab is going on schedule? Would there be a possibility of it being opened by the week of October 7?

I have delayed my yearly trip to Disneyland this year from the summer until this fall. I know Big Thunder Mountain is under a long rehab that is advertized as opening again in fall. Do any of the locals know how this rehab is going on schedule? Would there be a possibility of it being opened by the week of October 7?

The ride is scheduled to open on 10/30/2013. Soft openings prior to that date are a possibility, but you can't count on it.

A lot of Ride Manufacturers have started designing rides with disabled riders in mind. For Example, OdySea (Zierer), Jumping Dragon (Zierer), Air Race (Zamperla), and Tipsey Tea Cups (Zamperla), at Lagoon, all have sections of the Ride Vehicle that can be unlocked and lifted out allowing someone to slide right into the seat.

- Sid

^That's because they have to now for ADA. But existing rides that were built pre-ADA are technically exempt, so it's great to see Disney making the effort to modify even their older rides to accommodate.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.voiceofoc.org/oc_north/article_652d90a8-dd40-11e2-b31e-0019bb2963f4.html

The Orange County Transportation Authority board of directors Monday postponed for two weeks action that would have provided Anaheim with access to OCTA funds for the city's streetcar project because several directors remain uncomfortable with the transit system's $100-million per mile price tag.

Although the board had previously allocated funds for the environmental study and conceptual engineering work, directors are struggling with the wording of an agreement between OCTA and the city that calls for the board to “concur” with the city's selection of the streetcar before city officials can access the funds.

Proponents of the planned 3.2-mile public transit project — which will connect a planned train station with key destinations such as the Disneyland Resort, the GardenWalk outdoor mall and the Anaheim convention center — said that the project will support city growth and increase the county's economic activity.

“We believe it's an enhancement to all the people of Orange County,” said Dennis Kuhl, chairman of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

But in recent months, some OCTA directors have challenged the cost of the planned streetcar system, questioning the financial sense of casting aside a bus alternative, which is projected to be $263.4 million cheaper to construct. That debate continued at Monday's board meeting, as directors Todd Spitzer, Jeff Lalloway and John Moorlach scoffed at the streetcar's projected $319-million total cost.

OCTA officials conducted a cost comparison among 11 streetcar projects across the country and found that Anaheim's planned system was by far the most expensive. The streetcar project in neighboring Santa Ana is estimated at $110 million less than Anaheim's, despite Santa Ana's project having a planned route nearly a mile longer.

“It is a stark contrast, when you look at Santa Ana,” said Spitzer, a county supervisor. A vote to endorse the project's price tag doesn't make sense, he said. “I don't know how you could explain that vote to anybody.”

There are several reasons that any California construction project can be more expensive than similar projects in places like Portland, Cincinnati and Tampa, including California's high labor costs and environmental regulations.

But it's also becoming increasingly clear that another reason for the steep price are demands placed upon it by Disneyland and the rest of the city's resort district.

Among the factors that Anaheim officials acknowledge have driven up the cost include: a power system that eliminates overhead electrical wires in certain areas so they won't harm the aesthetics of the resort; a higher number of train cars so the system can deliver tourists to Disneyland; and higher infrastructure costs because of increased traffic in the resort district.

And while Santa Ana would be purchasing little, if any, right of way, Anaheim would be spending millions of dollars on right of way, some of which will be expensive because it is in the resort area.

There is no doubt that Disneyland would benefit greatly from a streetcar system. Disney-backed Anaheim Councilwoman Kris Murray said as much at an OCTA board workshop in March. Murray acknowledged during the meeting that the streetcar would be essential in taking cars off the road, thus giving Disney the ability to expand the resort and open a third gate.

And while critics like Spitzer lauded Disneyland and other key destinations in Anaheim, such as the Honda Center and Angel Stadium, for producing billions of dollars in economic activity and thousands of jobs, they questioned the wisdom of using taxpayer funds to subsidize Anaheim's tourist industry at such a high cost.

Lalloway, a Republican Irvine city councilman, noted that most of the board members are Republican elected officials who almost certainly ran on platforms of fiscal responsibility. That they would support the expensive project when the cheaper buses are an option betrays Republican principles, he said.

“I just have to ask the question, when does the spending ever end?” Lalloway said, adding that federal money for the project would likely be borrowed money that future generations would have to repay or be printed from the Federal Reserve. “When do we look our kids in the eye and say, you know what, that's enough, we can do with buses.”

Among other things, Lalloway has issues with the number of additional riders that a streetcar project would attract over an enhanced bus system. While estimates state that a streetcar system would eventually attract 1,000 more boardings a day than a bus system, Lalloway asserted that it would only amount to 600 more people.

He questioned whether those 600 extra people are worth spending an additional $263.4 million, which amounts to $439,000 per additional daily rider.

Moorlach, also a county supervisor, challenged arguments from proponents that a streetcar will increase property values. Values in a tourism-heavy area would rise regardless of a streetcar, he said.

“Who cares? We don't own the land,” Moorlach said. “If it were my own money for streetcars, I'm out,” he added, quoting the network television show Shark Tank.

Lalloway and Moorlach were the only directors to vote against the continuance, presumably because they are against the project altogether.

Meanwhile, board Chairman Greg Winterbottom was upset with the prospect of a delay in approval for the project. "I'm really at a loss. … I'm trying to understand where we are in this cabal," he said. "Is another review going to help us any?"

Anaheim Public Works Director Natalie Meeks said city officials are looking at ways to pare down the cost of the project.

One big cost factor that will likely diminish is the more than 30-percent unexpected contingencies budget that the Federal Transit Authority requires of such projects, Meeks said. City officials hope the FTA will fund 50 percent of the project through a highly competitive federal grant program called New Starts. A typical city project would have a 20-percent contingencies budget, she said.

Officials would also look at ways to cut costs on the streetcar stations, right-of-way acquisition and relocation of utilities, according to an OCTA staff presentation given to the board.

Despite resistance from some directors, it remains unclear where the majority of the 17-member board stand on the project. Of the board's transit committee, Lori Donchak, Gail Eastman, Steve Jones, Janet Nguyen and Tim Shaw approved a concurrence action earlier this month. Other transit committee members were absent from that meeting.

Director Al Murray, a Tustin city councilman, expressed some concern about the cost and asked for briefings by staff. Other board directors offered little comment or were silent on the issue.

In the end, the board directed staff to return with an action that would allow Anaheim access to the funding but will not imply approval of the project's cost. City officials said the funds are necessary for a study to answer directors' questions.

This project is holding up so many other projects its ridiculous. I really wish the city would decide what they are going to do sooner rather then later.

I would still prefer an elevated system to not add to the traffic on the streets, but this is taking so long!

I wasn't sure where else to put this, but apparently there will be NO new attraction announcements at D23 this year. IMO, Disney is totally dropping the ball here especially with everything that Universal has done in just the past year.

http://micechat.com/34021-2013-d23-expo/

The latest press release from Disney Parks and Resorts is perhaps one of the (if not THE) most anticipated information about the upcoming D23 Expo. It appears that instead of one presentation in the giant arena, Parks related topics have been expanded to three days of presentations in the 2,000-seat Stage 23 and 850-seat Stage 28 venues. What was the thinking behind increasing the number of presentations and changing the space from the Arena to the stages?

Jeffrey: Based on feedback from previous Expos, we received the most positive response from guests about the outstanding, behind-the-scenes panels and presentations hosted by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts in Stages 23 and 28. This year, they have expanded the number of presentations to a dozen — more than they have ever done before — allowing them to expand the scope of content that can be presented as well as the amount of time that can be spent on each topic. Plus, there’s an entire day dedicated to the 60th anniversary of Walt Disney Imagineering, which we feel Parks fans are going to love.

Does this mean we should temper our expectations about big new ride announcements during this year’s Expo?

DAVE FISHER, Walt Disney Imagineering: We’ll be using the Expo as an opportunity to really give fans a look into the inner workings of Walt Disney Imagineering — especially in our “Imagineering Open House” pavilion on the D23 Expo show floor. Fans with a keen eye might spot clues about work currently in development, but we will not be making any new product announcements at the Expo this year. However, we have a few surprises in store…

I'm not really worried, because I don't believe that Disney would tell anything to Mice Chat (or any media for that matter). Why hype stuff up and then only have people pissed at you cause it wasn't their dream attraction being built. Its easier to deny everything until the moment you announce something (whatever they happen to "have in store"). As well, even if they don't announce any new attractions at D23, they don't have to wait till the next one in 2 years to make more announcements.

That begin said, I would be surprised if they do not announce new things. Considering the last one was kind of a dud. But I would expect to see a lot more stuff on Avatar at this Expo (see that's already been announced ) as well as a big focus on the Magic Band. As well as more on Shanghai hopefully.

This isn't like they are just trying to keep the big announcement secret, they flat out aren't doing a Parks and Resorts Presentation in the 4,000 seat arena. If they had something to share (like in 2009) they would announce to a packed arena of fans. They completely eliminated the entire arena Parks presentation

Disney fans can really never be pleased. Wasn't a big complaint of D23 that the parks & resorts presentation was full? So now that they add a bunch of extra parks stuff to the smaller theaters, people are upset there's no new announcements?

Personally, I don't think D23 is the best venue for a major announcement in the first place---one of their typical big press events (with free food/booze/hotels for media) is much more effective.

Disney fans can really never be pleased. Wasn't a big complaint of D23 that the parks & resorts presentation was full? So now that they add a bunch of extra parks stuff to the smaller theaters, people are upset there's no new announcements?

Personally, I don't think D23 is the best venue for a major announcement in the first place---one of their typical big press events (with free food/booze/hotels for media) is much more effective.

The complaint from 2011 was that they scaled back the arena to make it more intimiate and proceeded to announce nothing.

The complaints from 2011 was that it felt much more corporate. In 2009, it was very clearly an expo for the die hards, it was positioned after school had started, it was not heavily advertised, and was marketed mostly to Disney fans. They announced a host of new movie projects, and for Parks and Resorts they announced the entire Fantasyland makeover and Star Tours redo. It was clearly for the fans.

2011 was just more of a presentation. The only announcement was a new meet n greet, but otherwise it was just an update. Very lame and extremely disappointing after 2009.

Sure booze, hotels, and food are fun but they are for a very select group that usually don't care much for the parks (theme park sites, yes, but main stream media, not so much). The whole point of the 2009 expo was that they didn't just spit out information to main stream media, they gave it to those who really cared.

Idealistic? Sure. But I do think this is a major step back for the expo.