TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Disney security has failed this week: a dry ice bomb at Didneyland, a fully loaded automatic gun found on ride at WDW. There needs to be better security!

As someone who does security every day I have to ask, do you have any idea as to how much work it is to try and detect things like this? You can't just wave a magic wand and catch every scumbag that wants to do harm/create chaos. You can only do your best to gather information and execute your standards as effectively as possible.

I'm confident Disney did their best, and these incidents (with zero injuries) should have zero bearings on how people view the parks. They caught the idiot responsible, and that's the important thing.

Disney security has failed this week: a dry ice bomb at Didneyland, a fully loaded automatic gun found on ride at WDW. There needs to be better security!

As someone who does security every day I have to ask, do you have any idea as to how much work it is to try and detect things like this? You can't just wave a magic wand and catch every scumbag that wants to do harm/create chaos. You can only do your best to gather information and execute your standards as effectively as possible.

I'm confident Disney did their best, and these incidents (with zero injuries) should have zero bearings on how people view the parks. They caught the idiot responsible, and that's the important thing.

Good point. I never thought of it like that. I thought of security as an amusement park's firewall system.

^^I really think you're being too quick to blame park security. Unless you want a full body pat down or metal detectors to be the first memory you have of your visit to a Disney park, this is the way it is going to be. These are rare, isolated incidents that by no means represent normal park situations. If you were to reorganize your security efforts purely to prevent these situations, you'd not only impact the guest experience negatively but you would leave yourself open to additional vulnerabilites.

Disney has been handling security just fine at its parks since 1955 with very few incidents to date. There are simply some situations out of the millions of probable (and improbable) ones that no form of risk management can account for or prevent.

Exactly! The complaining is coming to a point where I'm wondering if some people feel we need security guards to walk us in too. Security tries their best I'm sure and if people want to bring something in the park, they will find a way despite securities best efforts.

Instead of blaming, blaming, blaming, if more people looked at what they were doing and how their actions really affect others, we would not have as much problems. I'm not getting mad at security for doing their job and bypassing the idiot who caused these problems because it really is the individuals fault. Learn from it and make ourselves better because no matter what things will go on in the parks security can't completely control and blaming isn't going to do anything but make the security line longer. Glad nothing unfortunate happened to anyone at the parks those days.

^Thanks for the fact check... During his latest trial (not the infamous murder trial) he was given 250,000 bail. He violated parole and later was found quilty and sentenced for 9 to 33 years.

Sorry for taking this way off topic, but yeah.. They are certainly sending a statement with that bail amount.

1,000,000 bail... Wow

To put that in perspective

Casey Anthony bail 500,000

OJ Simpson 250,000

OJ only got 250,000?

Wow, that's just amazing. I played with dry ice as a kid as the ice cream man would always give us some and we would get so excited over the little explosions. I feel like this was nothing more than an idiotic prank that caused a stir that still shouldn't have costed him a 1,000,000 bail in jail.

It seems he's just an adult who unfortunately made a dumb decision. Was he was going to harm people with a flying soda bottle? No, he's just an idiot ruining things for other people. Ban ban ban!!!! Can't feel bad for the guy though, brought this whole thing on himself and the prank (if it was one which I believe) was unnecessary and serious at the time. But damn that bail price...

My ex told me she's worked with him when she worked ODV. She said that he never really came across as the brightest. Sounds like a strong case of "I didnt think this through."

I am a little rusty on law and not that familiar with California law. However, I think if he uses a "bondsman" then this can be reduced to 10%. Still, that is $100K that needs to be dug up and maybe if he has family that owns their house they can put a loan against it if worth over $100K. For the life of me, I can not remember the % though on what the bondsman keeps after showing up for a hearing. I however believe it is a large a %.

At any rate, this numb nuts just caused himself and his family a world of problems for being stupid.

The bail could very well be reduced during a later hearing.

Yeah, a million dollars seems a bit excessive. He absolutely brought it upon himself though and I hope he gets more than just a slap on the wrist. Just a dumb thing to do.

As for Disney security, I've always found the bag checks at Disneyland in particular to be wildly inconsistent. I'm sure they get some training but depending on which line you go to and which "security" person you get you could either get a quick glance or a thorough inspection.

Other security in the park (the uniformed people) have always been great and I have the utmost confidence in their abilities. I don't know if they go through the same training for the bag checkers/normal security people.

IMO I think Metal Detectors would be a good thing in that it would cause the park to adopt a more consistent security procedure vs what's there now.

IMO I think Metal Detectors would be a good thing in that it would cause the park to adopt a more consistent security procedure vs what's there now.

More consistent, sure, but metal detectors wouldn't have stopped the dry ice incident. It's a tough call.

More consistent, sure, but metal detectors wouldn't have stopped the dry ice incident. It's a tough call.

But a bag check would most certainly have!

Bag check wouldn't have even stopped the Dry Ice since it was a CM. I think they go through a bag check too.

I used to work at a Cedar Fair park, and workers would always be subjected to bag checks. Most likely, the CM went through a security checkpoint.

^The CM got the dry ice from one of the ODV carts inside the park. They didn't enter the park with dry ice in their possession.

Then why doesn't the park manage who has access to the dry ice then? With such a dangerous object, couldn't the park safeguard their supplies in a better manner?

^The treat vendors have to have access to the dry ice to keep their food items cold. You're really blowing this completely out of proportion, and you need to let it go.

Edited by cfc

That was literally no way to prevent this. The materials needed are inside the park and non-suspicious on their own. Its just the idiot that decided to combine them. Its takes only a few chips of dry ice and water plus a water bottle to make this, so there was NO chance at all to prevent this.

^The treat vendors have to have access to the dry ice to keep their food items cold. You're really blowing this completely out of proportion, and you need to let it go.

This is completely right. This was a stupid prank and nothing more. If you take into account how long dry ice has been used by cast members at the park then this is simply a little blip on the radar. In my opinion Disney has done a great job of keeping their parks safe considering the number of people who go through the turnstiles every day. While I don't feel sorry for the CM responsible, they will likely make an example of him which means a very harsh punishment for a stupid prank.