TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I just got back from 2 days of DL and DCA. I rode RSR twice and was impressed! Fairly empty on the morning of both days, (Sunday and Monday) and not so much in the afternoon. I got to ride Splash Mountain twice without getting off: That's a first at a Disney Park! Overall, I was impressed with Cars Land, good job Disney!

So on my move from the SF Bay Area to Las Vegas on Saturday, I drove past a truck headed south on I-5 with a steel structure on the back. Sure enough it was mine train coaster track. I passed it without getting a photo but pulled over at a rest stop a little later and planned to take a picture when I ended up passing it again. As luck would have it, the truck pulled into the rest stop and I got a good look at at it. I'm 99% sure this is a piece for Big Thunder, and it looks like a lift portion (the cog wheel makes me thing that as well as the pieces of lift trough below the track).

Check it out.

That's awesome! But something I noticed about it... that "cog" might most likely actually be a drive tire, look at its shape. Plus, the curved but isn't banked AT ALL... Track before all three lifts are, if I recall.

Vertical drive tires on a Disney Coaster.. neat! That color definitely matches Big Thunder's!

So on my move from the SF Bay Area to Las Vegas on Saturday, I drove past a truck headed south on I-5 with a steel structure on the back. Sure enough it was mine train coaster track. I passed it without getting a photo but pulled over at a rest stop a little later and planned to take a picture when I ended up passing it again. As luck would have it, the truck pulled into the rest stop and I got a good look at at it. I'm 99% sure this is a piece for Big Thunder, and it looks like a lift portion (the cog wheel makes me thing that as well as the pieces of lift trough below the track).

Check it out.

That's awesome! But something I noticed about it... that "cog" might most likely actually be a drive tire, look at its shape. Plus, the curved but isn't banked AT ALL... Track before all three lifts are, if I recall.

Vertical drive tires on a Disney Coaster.. neat! That color definitely matches Big Thunder's!

On the original coaster, there were two chains on every lift. One flat pre-lift one, and one that actually hauled the train up the lift. I think this drive tire is just replacing the first chain on the pre-lift or it could be a cog and there will again be a chain in that area. This could also be part of the final break run as well.

On both, Lift B and the final break, the track entered angled upwards. They were both slightly banked, but the piece sticking off the end here really isn't enough to tell where its going.

I will be visiting the Disneyland Resort for the first time since 2002 on Wednesday, May 1. I had a few questions that I hoped you guys could help me answer:

1) This will be my first trip to DCA - are there any special rides other than the headliners that I shouldn't miss?

On my "must-ride list":

-Radiator Racers

-Toy Story Mania

-California Screamin'

-ToT

-Little Mermaid (have not been on its counterpart at MK).

-Soarin

2) What locations serve Dole Whip at DL and DCA?

3) What is the best place to catch World of Color that most GP wouldn't congregate to?

4) Is the Aladdin show at DCA similar in quality to Finding Nemo (AK) and the Beauty and the Beast (HS) productions at WDW?

5) Any other general tips are appreciated - we have a one-day park hopper pass. From all of the "crowd calculators", it seems like this is a solid week to go to maximize our time.

I am going there Sunday, became an AP passholder this year after 5 year break. Here are my observations.

1.) First thing in the am, get that R. Racers fastpass. I am talking like park opening. Almost everyone will be heading that way at park opening. The FP machine is on the way into Carsland, and it is not obvious in a crowd, although you will see a herd of people clustering around them. Depending on where you are in that herd, say for example you are within the 1st grouping, you may want to opt to go straight into the standby line and skip FP. Also, RR and Carsland looks unreal at night. Easily the best looking area of both parks at night. TOT is also the other attraction that sells out FP, at least it did on Good Friday.

2.) WOC - should be your 2nd primary FP, if it the night show you want to see over whatever is happening at DL. After early morning Carsland, swing by and snag CA Screamin FP or TSMM, on the way down to GRR, where the FP machine is for WOC. The blue grouping on the FP is good viewing. The other WOC options are the picnic reservations and or the Carthay Circle viewing area (you get reserved tickets after eating there), both offer great views. If you are near the lagoon during WOC, high odds you will get wet. When we saw the show, we were in the Carthay reserved area, and it was not crowded, despite it being spring break.

3.) GRR is a very solid rafting, good for a hot day. And Goofy's coaster is an ok wild mouse. Little Mermaid, man that line moves fast. Don't really have to plan around that being busy. You also might enjoy the Mad Tea Party in DCA.

4.) Dole Whip is in Adventureland. Not sure if there is another location between the two parks.

5.) My group enjoyed the kayaking on the river. It is one of those only at DL kind of experiences.

Personally, I think the best spot to watch WOC is on your computer at home by way of a youtube video. I suffered through about 1/2 of it last Saturday evening. I don't intend to ever watch it again. Carsland, on the other hand, was great. We really enjoyed Luigi's Flying Tires. My wife and I got the leaning-to-move thing down very quickly and ended up being able to zoom all around the ride surface. We got up so much speed that when we ran into another flying tire with an unsuspecting pilot, we nearly knocked her off her seat. I haven't had so much fun on such a simple ride in a long time. The wait was a bit brutal though, so you'll have to play that one by ear depending on the queue length. We took a little break after the flying tires and never got around to riding Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, but it also looked like a fun ride. I'll make it a point to ride it next time we're there.

I'd add the swinging gondolas on Mickey's Fun Wheel and Monster's Inc to your ride list if you can make time for them. The wait is rarely very long for Monsters and the Fun Wheel is a really cool ride experience.

One of the things I really liked about the addition of Carsland, besides how extremely well done it is, is how you now have pathways that allow you to get from the Montery Bay area to Tower of Terror, and vice versa, by way of the backside of a Bug's Land. Having the dead end at ToT before was kind of a bummer.

Edited by Mechanic

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll be sure to hit Carsland first to get FPs and maybe an early ride on Radiator Racers.

For WoC FPs, does that take away from you being able to experience other attractions with the Fast Pass or is it simply a reservation?

^It's simply a reservation. You shouldn't have a problem grabbing one at all, just get in to the park and get your RSR Fastpass and then head STRAIGHT to RSR and get in the standby line. Hit the other two Carsland rides on the way out if either interests you, the lines start getting unbearable once that first crew of RSR riders is worked through. I had no problem in August getting the Fastpass, riding RSR in the standby, and then Luigi's and Mater's. Watched the lines grow behind me, but just stay ahead of the crowd!

Once you've done Carsland, you can grab the World of Color Fastpass at the Grizzly River Rapids station, which isn't too much out of your way before you head back to Paradise Pier. That should get you a ticket to the early show, or if you want to see the later one, just head back a little later and get one then!

Also, if you do decide to ride Soarin (not really worth it in my book, have you been on the one at EPCOT?), make use of the single rider line. I jumped right on two summers ago, skipping an hour-plus line almost completely. Definitely worth splitting your party up for!

If there is more than one WOC that night and you don't mind seeing it late, I always recommend trying to get a FP for the 2nd or 3rd show. Generally, it's far less crowded and since they have to clear out the people from previous shows, you're stuck in a holding pen for much less time than seeing the first performance.

I kinda like watching WoC from Mickeys Fun Wheel. There is a seating area and they pump the music back there as well. You definitely don't get the full effect but I mean...it's fountains playing music. No FP needed and it's not crowded, either.

If there is more than one WOC that night and you don't mind seeing it late, I always recommend trying to get a FP for the 2nd or 3rd show. Generally, it's far less crowded and since they have to clear out the people from previous shows, you're stuck in a holding pen for much less time than seeing the first performance.

This is great advise. As well, its more likely for all the effects to work on the second show, mainly the lasers. They have to be cut if there is any aircraft in the area, and that's less likely with the second show.

Interesting note posted over on MiceChat. If you are going to the park today expect some long lines and pissed off people.

Rough Day For Disneyland: Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, and Sorin' Over California were all closed by DOSH for inadequate fall protection. Meanwhile Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage remains closed because of a fire on the Seafarer. Ouch!

According to this (which was posted online) Space is set to open 'later today' while Matterhorn is down for refurbs...everything else looks good on the DL side. (10 min wait for Splash Mtn anyone?) On the DCA side, looks like Soarin's closed according to one of the sources I'm checking (sorry, don't want to 'forum drag' if that's the correct term).

BHwiz3xCYAEMSsL.thumb.jpg.744d7dc696cf71f4e75cb7092e77371b.jpg

Considering these rides aren't listed as closed on the website, and Disney would never want five headliners down at once, I'm guessing they'll be reopened ASAP. At least I hope so...I was planning to visit Tuesday since I don't have class on Tuesdays, but if this many rides are down I might have to reconsider (or I could do just DCA, but that is really only a half-day park in my opinion).

I wonder if Disney knew about this in advance or not. If they did and didn't do anything, that is worrying. I mean, I do think many of California's regulations are way overkill, but it would still be unacceptable for the park to do nothing and risk a mandatory shutdown if they were given reasonable time to make modifications.

WOW. I'm glad I didn't go last night! The codes Might SEEM overkill, but really... We're talking about SO CAL here. Mostly, the GP aren't that bright, plus should an earthquake happen, a BIG one... mass pandemonium may ensue.

I read the document. All I can say is... Really, Disney? Just.... wow.

Having'06 as the last time a fire extinguisher was checked on SM... Plus having a fire extinguisher without showing that it was even checked...

*facepalm*

Found this on a Disneyland community page:

UPDATE: The Matterhorn, Space Mountain and Soarin' Over California are now closed indefinitely, after state DOSH investigators on Friday disciplined Disneyland for the accident last November where an outside contractor cleaning the Space Mountain roof slipped and was slightly injured. The closed attractions all have at least one backstage area that don't meet the state requirement of harnessed fall protection for any employee walkway with more than a 30 inch drop opposite a hand rail. Disneyland is rushing to find quick fixes for these backstage areas this weekend to satisfy DOSH, and several other E Tickets were delayed in opening by several hours Saturday morning for inspections. The rest of the Anaheim attractions will be inspected for DOSH compliance in the next few days, and more temporary closures are possible.

It primarily has to do with backstage employee areas. Still this sucks. And if DOSH is due to do more inspections in the next few days, I can only imagine what's going to happen when I visit... Whatever happened to people just being smart about things, and being responsible for their own actions rather than having to have big brother come in and baby everything? Only in California...

Read the document: the contractor was being smart, but the area he anchored his fall protection onto was found to be inadequate. That's on Disney (and why such laws exist in the first place). They have no one to blame but themselves for having all these rides down, considering this accident happened so long ago and they apparently didn't bother to check the resort for other possible issues...

Edited by Jew