TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I am going to the parks for my 1st time in 13 years in April. Any suggestions on MUST do's particularly foods to eat or out of the way places to visit.

Trader Sam's for sure. Carthay Circle Restaurant at least for the appetizers. The Golden Vine Winery World of Color Dinner Package is spectacular as well (especially if you like lamb). I always try to get a Monte Cristo at Blue Bayou, but that's also coupled with the fact that they're served with amazing scallopped potatoes and unlimited mint juleps!

In regards to quick service, I think that Fiddler, Fifer & Practical in DCA (the Starbucks location on Buena Vista Street) is particularly great, as is the Pacific Wharf Cafe (Boudin Bakery).

Question for locals or anyone who has been to DL/DCA a LOT!

I am going to the parks for my 1st time in 13 years in April. Any suggestions on MUST do's particularly foods to eat or out of the way places to visit. I have never been to DCA so everything will be new to me. And the last time I was at Disneyland, Rocket Rods was still running!

I'm staying at the Red Lion Hotel right across the street from the park. My plan is as follows:

Monday April 15th DL/DCA

Tuesday April 16th SFMM

Wednesday April 17th Knotts 1/2 day then back to DCA

Thursday April 18th DL/DCA 1/2 day then flying out that evening to Portland

Thanks for any advice!

This isn't an easy question to answer since you haven't been there in so long. Most of the food places in the whole resort have changed their menus, and now they are all different! Every restaurant has a different menu now, and they all have some really good food options now.

For the breakfast, I prefer Storytellers Cafe in the Grand over Goofy's Kitchen. Its less crowded and has a different menu that I enjoy more.

Disneyland has a Carnation Cafe with the green chilli burger, Jolly Holiday with great sandwiches and soup, Cafe Orleans with their yummy crepes, or Hungry Bear which has a fried green tomato sandwich!

DCA has been covered a lot but there is also the Cove Bar in Ariel's Grotto has a nice view of Paradise Bay, and have some great food options (SLIDERS!). As well as the Wine Country Tutoria which has an elevated bar called the Alfresco Lounge above the winery that looks over Cars Land down the main drag. And they now have the Ghirardelli shop which has the same menu as the shop in San Fran, but its really good!

And like others have said, Carthay for dinner is great! It is, hands down, the best food in the resort. I really suggest the Firecracker Duck Wings along with the House Biscuits I think they are called. Some will argue, but I even hold it higher then Club 33 and about equal to Napa Rose. There is also Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel if you'd prefer really great steak options.

There is just so many new options and they are all great!

Disneyland has a Carnation Cafe with the green chilli burger, Jolly Holiday with great sandwiches and soup, Cafe Orleans with their yummy crepes, or Hungry Bear which has a fried green tomato sandwich!

I'm not a big fan of tomatoes (or vegetarian food in general), but the fried green tomato sandwich was my favorite quick-service meal in either park. That thing is amazing!

Iron Man Tech presented by Stark Industries coming to Innoventions at Disneyland

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/03/iron-man-tech-presented-by-stark-industries-coming-to-innoventions-at-disneyland-park/

Attention Iron Man fans! To celebrate the upcoming release of “Iron Man 3,” opening in theaters May 3, an exciting new exhibit is coming to Innoventions at Disneyland park in California – featuring actual set pieces from the film!

Beginning April 13, Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries will give Disneyland park guests the chance to see Tony Stark’s Hall of Armor, featuring Iron Man suits Mark I-VII – the same suits featured in “Iron Man 3.” And you will even be able to virtually “suit up,” yourself! Through simulation technology, guests will be able to see what it’s like to operate the latest pieces of the Mark 42 Iron Man armor, even getting the chance to test out its infamous repulsor blasts.

Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries Coming to Innoventions at Disneyland Park

Come experience Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries when it opens at Innoventions in Disneyland park April 13 – and then check out “Iron Man 3” in theaters May 3.

imt189402SMALL.thumb.jpg.d3ed09a6d45a828cab3dd1e454301aba.jpg

The exhibit is to last through September and we have heard Innoventions is being torn down in the Fall. I think this is exhibit is trying to also prep Disney fans to getting used to Marvel's bigger presence in the parks.

This is definitely a test of introducing a new brand into the parks, and how the average guest receives it. I think this will go pretty well, and wouldn't surprise me if they did something like the OZ preview for Iron Man in the Magic Eye theater as an added offering to help promote the movie and brand.

Like the "temporary" Captain EO, this exhibit will remain until Innoventions is gone. Which will hopefully be this fall.

If they were going to do an Iron Man 3 thing in the Magic Eye Theater wouldn't it be starting when this exhibit opens?

If I were in charge of this, I would say yes. But Im not (sadly, haha) so who knows. I was just pointing out the possibility and proximity of it.

Thanks for all the great advice. Also, I have been a cast member at WDW since 1999, so I have pretty much done all of the character dining options here and don't really need another buffet type place just to meet characters.

Also, I don't drink, so any of the alcoholic suggestions are cool but not for me.

Are the Voices of Liberty still performing there or was that just a summer time offering?

Thanks again!

I am going to the parks for my 1st time in 13 years in April. Any suggestions on MUST do's particularly foods to eat or out of the way places to visit. I have never been to DCA so everything will be new to me. And the last time I was at Disneyland, Rocket Rods was still running!

I'm staying at the Red Lion Hotel right across the street from the park. My plan is as follows:

Monday April 15th DL/DCA

Tuesday April 16th SFMM

Thanks for any advice!

Some more food advice! Things with an asterisck are my absolute favorites.

I agree with Storyteller's Cafe for breakfast* It is a character breakfast, but we go for the food. Really good selection and quality.

Disneyland:

Sit Down Restaurants

Cafe Orleans - French Onion Soup*, Monte Cristo, N'awlins Vegetable Ragout*, Crepes, Beignets*, Mint Julep (you can also get the beignets and Mint Julep from the Mint Julep Bar hidden in the back with usually no line!)

Blue Bayou - Food is really good, but nothing amazing, but great environment

Counter Service:

Bengal BBQ - Amazing steak and chicken skewers****!

Hugnry Bear -Fried Green Tomato Sandwich

Golden Horseshoe - Chili Cheese Fries and Ice Cream Sundaes

Rancho del Zocalo - Overall pretty good Mexican Food

Redd Rocket's - Count Down Chicken Fusilli*

Village Haus - Chicken Sausage in a Pretzel Roll, Apple Strudel

Corn Dog Wagon - Corn Dogs of course!

Maurice's Treats - Cheddar Garlic Bagel Twist

Harbor Galley - Same Sourdough Bowl Soups as everywhere else, but usually no line!

DCA:

Sit Down:

Never had the main dining at Carthay, but I've had the downstairs appetizers* and they were amazing! Wine Country has good Italian food, and the Cove Bar appetizers are really good as well. Both places are bars, but we always go just for the appetizers.

Counter Service:

Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta - Chicken Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta*, Five Cheese Ravioli

Cozy Cone - Pretzel Bites* and Chicken Chili ones are my favorites

Flo's V-8 - Brioche French Toast for breakfast, Veggie Tater Bake* for lunch (not a vegetarian at all but it was really really good!)

Pacific Wharf Cafe - any of the soups, San Francisco Shrimp Louie, and Sonoma Chicken & Apple Salad

Paradise Garden Grill - Really good Meditteranean Skewers*,Strawberry Brownie and Strawberry Skewers, and Baklava*!

Ghirardelli - Anything*

White Water Snacks at Grand Californian - Literally 30 seconds from the Grand Californian entrance to DCA (it's closer than any other food place near the rapids entrance), awesome shredded beef nachos*.

This is my usual list of things I get every time I visit!

The exhibit is to last through September and we have heard Innoventions is being torn down in the Fall. I think this is exhibit is trying to also prep Disney fans to getting used to Marvel's bigger presence in the parks.

This is definitely a test of introducing a new brand into the parks, and how the average guest receives it. I think this will go pretty well, and wouldn't surprise me if they did something like the OZ preview for Iron Man in the Magic Eye theater as an added offering to help promote the movie and brand.

I think don't think any audience has to primed for a Marvel presence in the parks. Considering the insane levels of success of the films (namely The Avengers) along with a constant push to keep the entire brand in the public eye, I think success is guaranteed.

At this point, I feel like as long as it is more than just a meet & greet (though even that would garner some guest return), if you build it, they will come.

Monday April 15th DL/DCA

Tuesday April 16th SFMM

Thanks for any advice!

For the breakfast, I prefer Storytellers Cafe in the Grand over Goofy's Kitchen. Its less crowded and has a different menu that I enjoy more.

I will agree, the Storytellers menu is great and it is less crowded. With that said, in my experience, I had fun at Goofy's kitchen vs. Storytellers. Why not do both buffets? One on each morning

Is this going to be something unique, or just somewhere to store the exhibit from comic-con?

I had lunch at the Carthay Circle in DCA on this past Good Friday holiday. The interior is quite stunning. The food is amazing. I had the pasta stuffed with short ribs. One of the best entrees I have ever had at the resort. The fried biscuits appetizer. These are lightly fried cheese filled bisuits, with a bit of jalepeno inside. Also, fantastic. For dessert, warm pear pie, with salted caramel ice cream. The waitress was fantatastic. We ate on the balcony overlooking the main part of BV street. Very nice to be out of the spring break crowds. It is expensive relative to the other food in DCA. There is a minor price break with the AP. I would not eat there every time at DCA, but for special occasions, it is great. But it does come with it's own Carthay Circle WOC reserved ticket / viewing area. That came in very handy later that night.

Is this going to be something unique, or just somewhere to store the exhibit from comic-con?

I didn't see the set-up for Comic Con, so I don't know. But its probably similar, if not the same one.

I think don't think any audience has to primed for a Marvel presence in the parks. Considering the insane levels of success of the films (namely The Avengers) along with a constant push to keep the entire brand in the public eye, I think success is guaranteed.

At this point, I feel like as long as it is more than just a meet & greet (though even that would garner some guest return), if you build it, they will come.

I agree, guests don't need to be primed. But if the company wants to do a small scale test to see how it's received (which they have done countless times for other concepts) they will. That's what I meant, it's a test for the company to see how much capitol they might want to invest, not a priming for the guests.

So on my move from the SF Bay Area to Las Vegas on Saturday, I drove past a truck headed south on I-5 with a steel structure on the back. Sure enough it was mine train coaster track. I passed it without getting a photo but pulled over at a rest stop a little later and planned to take a picture when I ended up passing it again. As luck would have it, the truck pulled into the rest stop and I got a good look at at it. I'm 99% sure this is a piece for Big Thunder, and it looks like a lift portion (the cog wheel makes me thing that as well as the pieces of lift trough below the track).

Check it out.

BTMRtrack.thumb.JPG.bf96ce7b1eace4c119c0d26c79837ce4.JPG