TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^ That being said, then, I would say if there was one ride to hit while at DCA that is also at WDW might be Toy Story Mania, if the line is short or the single rider line is open (Is it still even offered anymore?) I've found that it's sometimes an easier ride to get on at DCA rather than WDW. Since it's no longer the "new hotness" at DCA and all the locals have migrated to other attractions, it doesn't get as long of lines as it did when it first opened. It still gets long linges (we didn't even ride it on our last visit), but it's nothing like WDW's version, which can still commonly get 120 - 180 minute waits on weekends, and is hard to get FastPasses for!

But honestly, if you've been on Toy Story Mania plenty of times, or really aren't that into it, it IS the exact same ride at both parks. If you're looking for just the unique and decent attractions at DCA, I'd hit up (listed in how I would prioritize them)...

- Radiator Springs Racer

- California Screamin'

- Fun Wheel

- Monsters Inc

- Goofy's Sky School

- Little Mermaid (although, again, it's identical to the WDW version, but not sure if you've been on it yet)

- Tower of Terror

- Um.... what else... Heimlich's Chew Chew Train

- Golden Zephyr?

- And I guess Grizzly River Run (depends on how badly you need to go on a rapids ride!)

Oh, and there are those two flats in Carsland, which are pretty much a joke, but I guess if the lines aren't too long give them a try. I'd suggest doing the Luigi's Flying Tires thing as I doubt that will be there much longer! (Why they didn't learn from the mistakes of Flying Saucers... ie. the ride DIDN'T WORK I have no idea...but it's there! lol!)

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

ANAHEIM – Disneyland's Monorail was shut down temporarily Monday after a mechanical problem on busy Presidents Day.

A wheel fell off of one Monorail car and some minor smoke appeared, prompting the park to temporarily halt the entire ride midday, said Suzi Brown, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman.

About 10:20 a.m., after the wheel fell off, crews shut off the ride's power while they towed in the troubled car to drop off passengers and then take it to the repair shop.

Because the power was shut off as a safety precaution, a second train was stranded on the track. Passengers got stuck for about 45 minutes until that car was towed to a station. There, passengers were given front-of-line passes and free dining vouchers.

"Stuck on the Monorail for 45 minutes, but we got dining vouchers and fast passes ... not too bad!" wrote @CorriArias on Twitter.

As of 12:40 p.m., the stranded Monorail was back in operation, while the car that lost the wheel remained in the repair shop.

Article

^ Pirates yes, the rest is just personal interest. I would do Haunted Mansion cause it's awesome. Winnie is kinda lame but the line is always short so it's not going to cause you to miss other stuff. Astro Blasters is also fun, but nothing that will blow your mind, also it's line is typically short.

As far as all those unique rides you listed, they are all pretty fun and worth at least one ride. They are all very basic dark rides (except Nemo) with fairly fast moving lines. Nemo is slow and cramped. It's a cool ride but not likely one you'll want to ride over and over again.

I just looked at the maps for DCA/Disneyland and the only things that stuck out as different were Pinocchio, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, Nemo's Submarines, and something about Monster Inc. Are the Haunted Mansion, Astro Blaster, Winnie the Pooh, Pirates, etc. versions different enough that I shoul dmake sure I ride them too?

It depends on your interest level. I personally can take or leave Pirates on either coast, and Disneyland's has a few extra scenes, and the end section getting from the last scene to the unload platform takes FOREVER.... but honestly, I'm not a fan of either one. So if I *have* to ride Pirates, I actually prefer the Florida one, because I can get it over quicker! And unless you're a HUGE Pirates fan, you probably won't even notice the difference between the two. Mansion is also pretty much the same, other than some of the scenes in the Walt Disney World version are part of the queue in California, instead of on the actual ride. Again, if you're not a HUGE fan of this attraction, and you're pressed for time, it really doesn't matter that much. They are both pretty much the same ride, although the fanboys will probably give you a list of hundreds of subtle differences, I really can't tell, and I used to work in New Orleans Square!

Nemo's Subs is pretty much the Epcot Nemo ride re-fitted into the subs, and a much worse ride experience. It usually takes FOREVER to get through. It was the only ride at Disneyland I hadn't been on up until this past visit, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone, especially someone who has Epcot's Nemo in their local park.

I would actually recommend doing Astro Blasters over Pirates, Mansion, or Nemo, as the ride is significantly better in California. Winnie the Pooh is awful. Monsters Inc is "cute" and worth doing. And yeah, I'd be sure to do Toad, Alice, and Pinocchio. None of those ever get that long of a line.

--Robb

I just looked at the maps for DCA/Disneyland and the only things that stuck out as different were Pinocchio, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, Nemo's Submarines, and something about Monster Inc. Are the Haunted Mansion, Astro Blaster, Winnie the Pooh, Pirates, etc. versions different enough that I shoul dmake sure I ride them too?

I don't really care about Splash or Grizzly River (I think the rapids at DAK is the only WDW attraction I haven't done!)

Make sure you ride the Disneyland railroad from Tomorrowland Station to Main Street Station so you can see the Grand Canyon and Primeval World dioramas.

I have a few friends at the parks right now, apparently most of Paradise Pier just lost power and they had to be evacuated from Midway Mania. Tough couple of days at DLR with ride shutdowns.

I blame the Intamin that towers over Paradise Pier.

Or those new lights on Tower - must be sucking up too much energy.

Geeky Trivia:

The Primeval World dioramas at DL, were brought there and housed

after their appearance at the 1964 / 1965 World's Fair in New York state.

They were originally used in one of Walt Disney's "test run" attractions

at the fair, one that also was one of the first uses of.... the Omnimover!

Not sure which car was the pavillion's brand. Ford? Chevy? Anybody?

But they were open covertibles "the whole family could ride in" back then!

Not two-person Doom Buggies, etc. I would have loved to visit that

pavillion, LOL.

These latest posts are a great help for me. I will be making my first ever visit to DCA/Disneyland on March 10th. I can be there at opening (my flight lands at 6am) so I'm hoping I get all of the coaster credits at both parks and all of the unique attractions compared to Orlando (other than RSR and Indy, is there anything else major outisde the coasters?)

Is it feasible to do this in one day?

Thanks!

You should be able to fit this all in, especially if you use single rider lines. I'd recommend checking the parade/show times ahead of time and plan your route around those, as they will bring foot traffic to a standstill.

If you have an extra 15 minutes, enter Roger Rabbit through the standby line instead of grabbing a fastpass. The queue is almost better than the ride.

Nemo is good... once. I wouldn't ride it again but if the queue is short it's worth a go.

In general, Disneyland appeals to the Western states as well as the international countries in the Pacific like Japan, China, Korea, Australia. Obviously you go to Florida, you will find a far more abundant amount of English at WDW.

What are you taking about? Have you ever been to Walt Disney World? English is very often NOT the primary language spoken. Guarantee you if you walk into any park right now you'll hear more Portuguese than anything else! You only don't hear much Enlgish at Disneyland because Spanish is so heavily prevalent in Los Angeles! You have been to Southern California, right???

I should clarify. When I said English, I literally meant the people from England.

In general, Disneyland appeals to the Western states as well as the international countries in the Pacific like Japan, China, Korea, Australia. Obviously you go to Florida, you will find a far more abundant amount of English at WDW.

What are you taking about? Have you ever been to Walt Disney World? English is very often NOT the primary language spoken. Guarantee you if you walk into any park right now you'll hear more Portuguese than anything else! You only don't hear much Enlgish at Disneyland because Spanish is so heavily prevalent in Los Angeles! You have been to Southern California, right???

I should clarify. When I said English, I literally meant the people from England.

Yes, there are more Brits at Walt Disney World. And there are also more Europeans in general, Australians, Brazilians, Asians, etc... Walt Disney World is a world-wide tourist destination. Not sure what your original point was, but those are at least the facts that I can tell you.

^ And I think that the best argument that Disneyland is a regional park. Disney World is known everywhere and when people plan a trip to a Disney resort, they obviously choose World over Land. WDW is in a whole different league when it comes to tourism. Disneyland just doesn't come close to the worldwide appeal of WDW. It's still successful, obviously, but like Robb has said many times, yet everyone wants to debate it, they are successful with local markets and don't see the same numbers of tourists from all over the world like WDW is used to.

^ And I think that the best argument that Disneyland is a regional park. Disney World is known everywhere and when people plan a trip to a Disney resort, they obviously choose World over Land. WDW is in a whole different league when it comes to tourism. Disneyland just doesn't come close to the worldwide appeal of WDW. It's still successful, obviously, but like Robb has said many times, yet everyone wants to debate it, they are successful with local markets and don't see the same numbers of tourists from all over the world like WDW is used to.

Exactly. There is nothing wrong with Disneyland being a locals park. Tokyo Disneyland is the best park in the world I've been to and it's even more of a locals park than Disneyland is!

I don't know what it is with the Californians wanting Disneyland to be "Walt Disney World" and trying to convince people that whatever it is going on there is somehow better. Stop with this insecurity complex and just know that the park stands alone just fine for what it is.

It reaches a VERY different market than WDW does, and there is nothing wrong with that... At either park!

Edited by robbalvey