TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

DLR is finally becoming the tourist destination that they had hoped for it to be 12 years ago when it expanded, and less of a local hot spot.

That's the thing, it's not. It just means that the locals are now embracing DCA as a "real" park instead of the joke that it has been for many years. Disneyland Resort still sees about 80% of it's guests from California, Nevada, and Arizona.

DLR is finally becoming the tourist destination that they had hoped for it to be 12 years ago when it expanded, and less of a local hot spot.

That's the thing, it's not. It just means that the locals are now embracing DCA as a "real" park instead of the joke that it has been for many years. Disneyland Resort still sees about 80% of it's guests from California, Nevada, and Arizona.

That really classifies it more as a strong regional tourist destination, especially when you consider the size of the states mentioned. (California itself is huge) It's by no means solely a local's park if they're drawing guests from other states.

I've seen World of Colour once, and if I need to see it again, I can watch Disney movie trailers on my iPod while in the shower.

This is so awesome.

dt

Well, whether one likes it or not, it still won the THEA Award for Nighttime Shows in 2011, which is the highest honor for the themed entertainment industry.

I've seen World of Colour once, and if I need to see it again, I can watch Disney movie trailers on my iPod while in the shower.

This is so awesome.

dt

Well, whether one likes it or not, it still won the THEA Award for Nighttime Shows in 2011, which is the highest honor for the themed entertainment industry.

Without using Google, name one other nighttime show that debuted in 2011.

That really classifies it more as a strong regional tourist destination, especially when you consider the size of the states mentioned. (California itself is huge) It's by no means solely a local's park if they're drawing guests from other states.

Sorry that you're being a Californian and are taking what I already said, trying to disprove me, and then creating your own point, which is actually the same as the point I made, but you're somehow trying to make it look like you're better and smarter than me. I realize that because you're Californian, you don't see that you're doing this, which is why I'm pointing it out to you.

Your "local" area are those destinations that are easily and cheaply traveled for people to make multiple visits each year. Las Vegas or Pheonix is to Anaheim as Miami or Atlanta is to Orlando. Even though those places are a few hours drive, they are still considered "locals", because the are close enough to visit many times per year.

As for Vegas and Phoenix, for example, I'm willing to bet that there is a pretty large population of people in those areas who are annual passholders, and come out 4-6 times per year. Those people are your "regulars", regardless if their drive is 45 minutes or 4 hours. There are probably people who live in Vegas that visit Disneyland more often than some people who live in Anaheim.

Your "tourists" are people who are planning a "once in a lifetime" vacation (or once in many years), and those people are NOT your "locals."

Disneyland Resort's audience hasn't changed. I worked there in 1987 and if I asked 100 people that came through my location every day, I'd meet 80 people who were between a 15 minute and 6 hour drive, and the others were from a variety of different places. That holds true today, except that now you have people who will now spend more time at DCA than they did five years ago, or more people willing to spend an extra day at a resort hotel.

You also have to realize that most people don't travel to California "just for Disneyland", the majority of "tourists" who visit Disneyland are on a trip to "California" and the Disneyland Resort is one of many stops. Again, the difference is that most people who are visiting Orlando, are there specifically because of the theme parks, will spend a week to ten days doing nothing but theme parks, and it's one of the top reasons why there is tourism in Florida.

So yes, Disneyland is a regional tourist destination, aka your "locals". And your core "region" is California, Nevada, and Arizona, just like I originally said, and while it's not "solely" a locals park, it's pretty much a locals park. Deal with it.

--Robb "Not sure what point you were trying to make, but I guess I'm glad you're sort of agreeing with me?" Alvey #confused

ZING!!!!

Edited by robbalvey

^^I no way was I trying to put myself above you, I was just making my own points. With the WOC point I was trying to say that while one may not enjoy nighttime shows, one can still appreciate the quality and design that went into it.

Plus, World of Color debuted in the summer of 2010, hence why it took an award at the 2011 THEAs (Which take place in the Spring).

I no way was I trying to put myself above you, I was just making my own points.

Except that you weren't. You were making the same points as me, but doing it in such a way to make mine appear less relevant than yours. I understand you don't realize you are doing this, which is why I'm pointing it out to you.

With the WOC point I was trying to say that while one may not enjoy nighttime shows, one can still appreciate the quality and design that went into it. .

I thought the show was awful and the technology was dated and boring. Take the Fantasmic water screens from 1991 and combine them with water fountains... WATER FOUNTAINS that have been around forever. Show some movie trailers on the screens for way longer than they should be and BAM!, World of Color! Hooray!

Yes, DisneySea's Fantasmic was a million times better because it had a GIANT VOLCANO in it! Hell, Magic Kingdom's "castle projection show" is a more impressive show both in technology and show quality, and it's not even a mainstream show at the park! It's a "filler" show in between the MSEP and Wishes! And should I even mention Disneyland Paris' Disney Dreams show? Holy crap! And what's funny is they use the WoC tech as the pre-cursor to the real show! lol

If you're trying to convince me that WoC deserves some recognition because it got a Thea award, then you're preaching to the wrong person.

I saw both World of Color and Light Magic once each. They are about on par with each other.

--Robb "Discussing World of Colour is sooooo 2010...." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Agree to disagree then?

What a Californian thing to say.

No, I'm not "agreeing" with you at all. I thought the show sucked. You like it? You watch it! Don't try to convince me it's great because it won an award.

Edited by robbalvey

This is so awesome.

dt

This isn't actually all that impressive, since nighttime shows at any other place besides a Disney park are usually pretty similar to a guy waiving a laser pointer in the air for a bit and then shooting off fireworks from the back of his pickup, while blasting Bon Jovi from his 8 Track player. Not really hard to win an award when faced with that sort of competition...

dt

Pretty much every new theme park show/attraction will get some sort of TEA award, since TEA is made up of people who worked on those projects and want recognition.

As for world of color? It's technically impressive, but mostly Disney trailers with fountains. The only good parts are where they try something different with lazers and fire (Buzz Lightyear & Pirates segments).

Sorry that you're being a Californian and are taking what I already said, trying to disprove me, and then creating your own point, which is actually the same as the point I made, but you're somehow trying to make it look like you're better and smarter than me. I realize that because you're Californian, you don't see that you're doing this, which is why I'm pointing it out to you.

Your "local" area are those destinations that are easily and cheaply traveled for people to make multiple visits each year. Las Vegas or Pheonix is to Anaheim as Miami or Atlanta is to Orlando. Even though those places are a few hours drive, they are still considered "locals", because the are close enough to visit many times per year.

As for Vegas and Phoenix, for example, I'm willing to bet that there is a pretty large population of people in those areas who are annual passholders, and come out 4-6 times per year. Those people are your "regulars", regardless if their drive is 45 minutes or 4 hours. There are probably people who live in Vegas that visit Disneyland more often than some people who live in Anaheim.

Your "tourists" are people who are planning a "once in a lifetime" vacation (or once in many years), and those people are NOT your "locals."

Disneyland Resort's audience hasn't changed. I worked there in 1987 and if I asked 100 people that came through my location every day, I'd meet 80 people who were between a 15 minute and 6 hour drive, and the others were from a variety of different places. That holds true today, except that now you have people who will now spend more time at DCA than they did five years ago, or more people willing to spend an extra day at a resort hotel.

You also have to realize that most people don't travel to California "just for Disneyland", the majority of "tourists" who visit Disneyland are on a trip to "California" and the Disneyland Resort is one of many stops. Again, the difference is that most people who are visiting Orlando, are there specifically because of the theme parks, will spend a week to ten days doing nothing but theme parks, and it's one of the top reasons why there is tourism in Florida.

So yes, Disneyland is a regional tourist destination, aka your "locals". And your core "region" is California, Nevada, and Arizona, just like I originally said, and while it's not "solely" a locals park, it's pretty much a locals park. Deal with it.

--Robb "Not sure what point you were trying to make, but I guess I'm glad you're sort of agreeing with me?" Alvey #confused

ZING!!!!

Just to build on what you've already said, working at the hotel, I met A LOT of people who were coming in from San Francisco (still California yes, but 6 hours away, would often make several trips through out the year), Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and Hawaii. This is just the higher end spectrum of the market as well who have $400+ to spend each night of their stay, you aren't accounting for anyone else staying at the cheaper hotels off of Katella and Harbor.

In general, Disneyland appeals to the Western states as well as the international countries in the Pacific like Japan, China, Korea, Australia. Obviously you go to Florida, you will find a far more abundant amount of English at WDW.

You are right, majority of European tourists and Australians I encountered were usually doing a massive North American tour. Usually they'd spend some time in Canada, at some point make it to Las Vegas. It was common enough for them to start their vacation in New York then fly to Atlanta or some where in Florida, eventually finding their way onto the west coast.

With that said, for every out-of-towner (non local) I met, there was at least one nearby person from Burbank/LA, San Diego, or Orange County. Also, if you were coming to California SOLEY for Disney, you're wrong. There's so much to do outside of Disney that it would be a sin to come strictly for Disney and nothing else. With that said, I have also met plenty of people who have spent 10 days at the theme park and done nothing else.

So that's my experience with demographics. Some how this all fits into WOC, so i figure I'll pipe in on that. I think majority of WoC's problem is it's far to long and it shows FAR to many clips of movies. I like your analogy of watching Disney movies on your ipod in the shower. Its perfect. If they just stuck to the show tunes, or maybe.... actually cared to have an overall encompassing story that ties everything together (and shorter length) the show could be good. For now though, I generally skip it.

We watched it twice from the GC deck, where you can't see the videos, but can hear it and see the fountains and fire. I really can't see how the videos add THAT much. All teh hype I had heard for WOC made me sad when we chose to skip DCA because it was raining heavily, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't just sour grapes that WOC simply is not Fantasmic 2.0. I was shocked that there was no pyrotehnics, just some fire. That really took a lot away from it, imho.

Not to mention that you basically have to stand in place for 2 hours if you want to see the show. WTF!!!

-R

In general, Disneyland appeals to the Western states as well as the international countries in the Pacific like Japan, China, Korea, Australia. Obviously you go to Florida, you will find a far more abundant amount of English at WDW.

What are you taking about? Have you ever been to Walt Disney World? English is very often NOT the primary language spoken. Guarantee you if you walk into any park right now you'll hear more Portuguese than anything else! You only don't hear much Enlgish at Disneyland because Spanish is so heavily prevalent in Los Angeles! You have been to Southern California, right???

Again, I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make. Are you trying to convince me that Disneyland is more of a "tourist" destination rather than a "regional" destination? Because that's not the case.

Disneyland draws about 80% of it audience from local markets, while Walt Disney World pulls only about 10% from local markets. That's not "my experience versus your experience" or "California versus Florida", that's just the way things are on both coasts.

The two destinations cater to a VERY different type of audience. And like it or not, Disneyland is a "locals" park. (Or resort, or whatever you want to call it...)

--Robb

EDIT: I have to keep reminding myself that you cannot argue with a Californian (even when you're not really arguing, just stating facts), because the Californian is always right, better and more important than you, and entitled to do or say whatever they want. I will once again back out of this "discussion" and as I walk away I am reminded how I've never been happier since I moved out of that state.

"While you're waiting to scream, there's time to take a spin on the Orange Stinger."

On the bottom right it says 7/29/2001. Everybody knows Fastpasses weren't needed during that time period anyway.

As for this discount going away, honestly, this makes me kind of wish we were renewing our AP's. But we'll certainly take advantage of not having the 2fer's in the park for a few months until they expire. People seem to forget that going to Disneyland is a privilege, not a right. All of the news stories I have seen have comments from people lamenting Disney for wanting to make $$. When was Disney a charity? I don't seem to recall.

Some good and bad advice here. Let me explain....

Please forgive me because I am sure this has been ask in this thread before. I have never been to Disneyland before let alone even to the west coast. I will be visiting from Maryland for my first time for 2 days during spring break in April. Is the park usually really crowded during this time? We are planning on one day in Disneyland and one in California Adventure.

It generally is fairly crowded, but it shouldn't ruin your day. I went one time during then and park-hopped (This was before Carsland was open) and I got most of the stuff I wanted to do in both parks in one day. I missed a couple of rides though.

If you're going to spend two days there, here's the best way to go: I would not recommend park-hopping as it would be way too overwhelming, especially since lines will generally range from 45 minutes to an hour and a half around the time you're going. Do Disneyland one day and then DCA the other. That way you won't feel so rushed and you can enjoy yourself more.

I'm not sure I would agree that DCA warrants a "full day", but if you've never been there, I guess it could? The other thing to keep in mind, and this more depends on the type of person you are, Muppets, Tough to be a Bug, Toy Story Mania, and Soarin' are all IDENTICAL to their counter parts at Walt Disney World. Not sure if you've ever been on any of them at Walt Disney World, or if you are the type of person who has to do all the rides, regardless, but if you're looking for things to put on a lower priority list because you've done them elsewhere, these rides are exact clones.

If you want to do all of the rides and get multiple rides on Screamin' and Racers (Which you will), then get there the minute they open or at least shortly after they do so. The crowds are generally fairly thin around this time. Get a Fastpass for Racers as soon as you get in, and then go straight to Paradise Pier to get some rides in.

I strongly disagree with this strategy. The Paradise Pier rides will NOT have a longer line than Racers at all. So get to the park early, before opening, go right to the RSR Fastpass, get a Fastpass as soon as you can, and then go right for the Standby line. RSR's Standby line will most likely be the shortest it will be all day long right at opening, and you can usually get in TWO rides on it within the first hour the park is open (one via Standby and one with your FastPass), and then even sometimes get another FastPass for it BEFORE you use your original FastPass.

Screamin' should have FastPass available all day long, no problem, and the lines aren't too bad.

The other thing to consider, while RSR is good, it's no Test Track, and if you're been on Test Track, the first thing you'll notice when you get to the outdoor section is "Why is this ride going so slow?"

As much as we liked RSR, two rides was plenty for us.

I would go to DCA for opening on your first day, get in as many rides as possible, and then hop over to Disneyland. If you like RSR enough, perhaps start there the next morning again and then hop over to Disneyland, but if you've never been to either park, I'd say DCA is a good 1/2 to 3/4 day park now, while Disneyland you can easily spend a day to a day and a half there no problem. Even if you stay for World of Colour at DCA. See the first show, and then spend the last 3-4 hours over at Disneyland.

Oh, and another thing. There are some good restaurants across the street (Meaning just a five-minute walk from the plaza) if you want more for your $$$. There's an a Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles opening soon IHOP, a Mimi's, a Subway, and a McDonald's.

While I know there aren't as many places to eat at Disneyland as there are at Walt Disney World, if you're flying across the country on vacation, especially at a Disney park, I would absolutely try some of the restaurants on property before I'd suggest going to IHOP, Subway, or McDonald's, which you can get anywhere.

Make reservations for Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans, Carthay Circle, Naples, and if you're looking for something more unique that's off-property, Fire & Ice in Garden Walk was fantastic! Why would you go to "Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles" when you have these options???

--Robb

Thank you so much Robb! Especially for letting me know which rides are identical. I have been to Disney World several times and rode all of these there. My main focus is to ride what is not in Disney World and most definitely try the food. I will not be eating anywhere I can eat here in MD, I rarely do that on vacation.