TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

There is no grace period with the return times here at Walt Disney World. If you arrive after your FastPass time, you're not allowed in the queue. DEAL WITH IT! YOU'RE LATE! Personally, this is the way it should be. There's a time printed on the ticket. Everyone has a watch or a mobile phone that tells you what time it is. The moment you start allowing any sort of "grace period" you're back to where we were the last 10+ years of people abusing the system.

I wasn't saying that there should be a "grace period", I was saying that there should be some kind of actual system put in place so that if you're out spending money at an expensive on-property Walt Disney World restaurant and your window is while you're at your meal, they can stamp your pass with an official time extension (sort of how we have re-admission cards) so you can go right from your restaurant to the ride. I wasn't saying that's a free ride to be able to just come back at your leisure 30 minutes late and site "Oh, I had a dinner reservation" as an excuse. I forget that people will just try to be obnoxious and abuse that system too, so forget what I just said. I'd rather the system be "fair" for everyone.

Leave it up to the typically late Californians to try to further abuse that system and feel they need a "grace period" because no one can possibly get to where they are supposed to be on time. Pathetic.

Also: If you go to DCA and hate the new blue color of Tower (like i do) please make it known in the park (as in go to guest services and fill out a feedback card).

Yes, because that's exactly what California needs more of. More obnoxious Disney people going around complaining about stupid pointless things like animatronic hair and colour of paint. Really? You guys just got a brand new, fantastic looking land in DCA, one of the best new rides on property in almost 20 years, so many improvements to a park that really needed it, and you're even getting decent stuff for Limited Time Magic, and you're complaining about the colour of a building?!?! Really? REALLY?!!?! *facepalm*

Here's an idea - How about NOT complaining about something for a change, and just be happy you're at a Disney Park and not at Magic Mountain.

--Robb "These are just examples of why I can't stand going to the California Disney parks anymore!!!" Alvey

As to the first point you make: 1. there was no reason to fly off the handle. I was simply saying it seems like for the first few months of the system there will be a 30 minute grace period which is something you will continue to get as a person who ate on property and 2. perhaps maybe you can amend your statement as WDW has a 15 minute grace period for their fastpass system instead of using it as another reason to hate on Californians (we give you enough reasons, dont try and stretch for them)

As for the second point lets remember a few facts. 1. I work on Tower of Terror and those complaints would allow management to actually order the right fucking parts. As it stands right now a dick of a middle manager told us to change the color of the tower WITHOUT WDI approval. I tried to keep that part a secret as it kinda violates that whole "dont discuss internal issues" thing. However its not a matter of paint, its a matter of lighting, which with an attraction like Tower is an uphill battle when your short staffed. And im sure you can understand that when you work your ass off all night long to make an attraction like Tower show ready every day and then have a directive to lower show quality when we cant even get parts to make the attraction effects work that I would ask the people i trust, TPR members, to complain to guest services (and really just submit a feedback card) with proper restraint so that 1/ I can get the tower working 100% as is my job and 2. circumvent the bean counters who make that task nearly impossible.

I also get pissed when i am called a fanboy for the trouble of giving a shit about what i do for a living. So maybe you could amend your statement as well to maybe not fly off the handle at me on this one as well?

^ Perhaps you can try not to be an obnoxious Californian? Thanks. Telling people to go report something to guest relations because you personally don't agree with it is awful. As a Cast Member, you should know better, but as a Californian, I can see why this doesn't occur to you.

And you know what, I knew about the 15 minute WDW grace period. And it's not something that really needs to be "known" about, ok? Do you HONESTLY BELIEVE the guy who runs Theme Park Review, and spends more time at Disney parks all over the world than ANY other park chain, doesn't know how FastPass works? So please, why don't you tell me how to run our forums a little bit more? I stick with preaching what the posted rules at the parks say, and protect what is an undocumented, private guest courtesy policy among Cast Members. That's how people don't end up taking advantage of the situation.

--Robb "Really cannot stand the attitude of most Californians. They make me sick" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I was wondering if anyone knows if older park hopper passes (no expiry option) I bought in Walt Disney World are able to be used at California properties? I have 2 days left on each and will be onthe West coast for a couple of days and would like to use them if I could. Just curious.

Nope.

I was wondering if anyone knows if older park hopper passes (no expiry option) I bought in Walt Disney World are able to be used at California properties? I have 2 days left on each and will be onthe West coast for a couple of days and would like to use them if I could. Just curious.

According to MouseSavers.com, yes.

Using Walt Disney World Tickets at Disneyland

Interesting, unpublished fact: you can use any unexpired, leftover days on a Walt Disney World ticket at Disneyland or Disney California Adventure! Present the Disney World ticket at the front gate on arrival — they will take it somewhere, deduct a day from it, and give you a one-day Disneyland Park Hopper ticket. You can repeat this day by day until the Disney World ticket is used up. They will not give you a multi-day ticket all at once, even if you have multiple days left on your Disney World ticket. Also, MouseSavers.com reader Danny P notes that any Disneyland ticket obtained from exchanging a Walt Disney World ticket must be used on the same day it was exchanged.

This policy has been in effect at least since I started this site (2001), and the information was last reconfirmed by a MouseSavers.com reader in September 2012. Don’t even bother calling Disneyland to ask about this — the people answering the phone have no idea and they will tell you they don’t take Disney World tickets.

Disneyland tickets are NOT accepted at Walt Disney World, and Annual Passes are only good at the park where they were purchased (Walt Disney World Annual Passes are NOT good at Disneyland, and vice versa). However, there is now a Premier Passport that is good at both locations.

http://www.mousesavers.com/disneyland-california-vacation-discounts-and-deals/disneyland-ticket-pass-discounts/#wdw

It's worth a try. And when you ask, make sure you get a manager.

According to MouseSavers.com, yes.

Using Walt Disney World Tickets at Disneyland

Interesting, unpublished fact: you can use any unexpired, leftover days on a Walt Disney World ticket at Disneyland or Disney California Adventure! Present the Disney World ticket at the front gate on arrival — they will take it somewhere, deduct a day from it, and give you a one-day Disneyland Park Hopper ticket. You can repeat this day by day until the Disney World ticket is used up. They will not give you a multi-day ticket all at once, even if you have multiple days left on your Disney World ticket. Also, MouseSavers.com reader Danny P notes that any Disneyland ticket obtained from exchanging a Walt Disney World ticket must be used on the same day it was exchanged.

This policy has been in effect at least since I started this site (2001), and the information was last reconfirmed by a MouseSavers.com reader in September 2012. Don’t even bother calling Disneyland to ask about this — the people answering the phone have no idea and they will tell you they don’t take Disney World tickets.

Disneyland tickets are NOT accepted at Walt Disney World, and Annual Passes are only good at the park where they were purchased (Walt Disney World Annual Passes are NOT good at Disneyland, and vice versa). However, there is now a Premier Passport that is good at both locations.

http://www.mousesavers.com/disneyland-california-vacation-discounts-and-deals/disneyland-ticket-pass-discounts/#wdw

It's worth a try. And when you ask, make sure you get a manager.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I hope it works,if not, I'll just have to suck it up and buy a couple of days....

I was just at the parks and didn't even notice the lighting change on ToT. This says my brain thinks its either better or the same, which is fine. I mean really, if y'all wanna go out of your way to file a complaint form about the color of the tower, have at it. I prefer to spend my day enjoying the park and the atmosphere, not going 'OMG the tower is BLUE! COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN. That's like the epitome of fanboy even if you do it via comment card.

I did, however, notice that the Shipwreck gag at Trader Sams is no longer sinking. I mean, I paid $11 for that drink and I wanted to see the ship sink! How dare them! The humanity! Where are the comment cards?!?!?!?!

Edited by WFChris

To be honest, I don't think the color of the wash lights on the building matter to the majority of TPR members. I care much more about the actual ride experience, which to me, without knowing every single little detail of the attraction, is still looking good.

So now that fastpass return times are being enforced, has anyone noticed a difference in wait times? I have occasionally taken advantage of 'open' return times in the past but this new policy sounds more equitable.

Are the Roger Rabbit/California Screamin' fastpass machines still 'disconnected' from the rest of the network, or has that changed too?

The part I missed in the rant is exactly how a change of color to blue is automatically a drop in show quality. Is it lit any worse simply because it's a different color, or is it because that guy thinks the old color was better that the new one is automatically declared worse?

There is a vast difference between an actual rise/fall in show quality and simple subjectiveness regarding aesthetics. Sounds to me like this is a case of the latter.

So now that fastpass return times are being enforced, has anyone noticed a difference in wait times? I have occasionally taken advantage of 'open' return times in the past but this new policy sounds more equitable.

Are the Roger Rabbit/California Screamin' fastpass machines still 'disconnected' from the rest of the network, or has that changed too?

Theoretically, the Stand-By line should be shorter more consistently. Instead of an influx of guests after major shows let out and such.

I had no idea there were certain colors of lights for Tower. And I go there multiple times a month. This is why Disney fanatics scare me. Do people seriously complain about things like this?

As for the FastPass time enforcement. I had multiple fastpasses that were 'expired' yesterday and didn't even worry about using them. Nor did I care. It was actually nice to not have to run back and forth to both parks, or be committed to going 'way over to that ride' just to use the fastpass - kind of like spending money just because you have it.

Please forgive me because I am sure this has been ask in this thread before. I have never been to Disneyland before let alone even to the west coast. I will be visiting from Maryland for my first time for 2 days during spring break in April. Is the park usually really crowded during this time? We are planning on one day in Disneyland and one in California Adventure.

Please forgive me because I am sure this has been ask in this thread before. I have never been to Disneyland before let alone even to the west coast. I will be visiting from Maryland for my first time for 2 days during spring break in April. Is the park usually really crowded during this time? We are planning on one day in Disneyland and one in California Adventure.

It generally is fairly crowded, but it shouldn't ruin your day. I went one time during then and park-hopped (This was before Carsland was open) and I got most of the stuff I wanted to do in both parks in one day. I missed a couple of rides though.

If you're going to spend two days there, here's the best way to go: I would not recommend park-hopping as it would be way too overwhelming, especially since lines will generally range from 45 minutes to an hour and a half around the time you're going. Do Disneyland one day and then DCA the other. That way you won't feel so rushed and you can enjoy yourself more.

If you want to do all of the rides and get multiple rides on Screamin' and Racers (Which you will), then get there the minute they open or at least shortly after they do so. The crowds are generally fairly thin around this time. Get a Fastpass for Racers as soon as you get in, and then go straight to Paradise Pier to get some rides in.

Oh, and another thing. There are some good restaurants across the street (Meaning just a five-minute walk from the plaza) if you want more for your $$$. There's an a Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles opening soon IHOP, a Mimi's, a Subway, and a McDonald's. There's also some other restaurants in Downtown Disney.

Hope this helps!

Some good and bad advice here. Let me explain....

It generally is fairly crowded, but it shouldn't ruin your day. I went one time during then and park-hopped (This was before Carsland was open) and I got most of the stuff I wanted to do in both parks in one day. I missed a couple of rides though.

If you're going to spend two days there, here's the best way to go: I would not recommend park-hopping as it would be way too overwhelming, especially since lines will generally range from 45 minutes to an hour and a half around the time you're going. Do Disneyland one day and then DCA the other. That way you won't feel so rushed and you can enjoy yourself more.

I'm not sure I would agree that DCA warrants a "full day", but if you've never been there, I guess it could? The other thing to keep in mind, and this more depends on the type of person you are, Muppets, Tough to be a Bug, Toy Story Mania, and Soarin' are all IDENTICAL to their counter parts at Walt Disney World. Not sure if you've ever been on any of them at Walt Disney World, or if you are the type of person who has to do all the rides, regardless, but if you're looking for things to put on a lower priority list because you've done them elsewhere, these rides are exact clones.

If you want to do all of the rides and get multiple rides on Screamin' and Racers (Which you will), then get there the minute they open or at least shortly after they do so. The crowds are generally fairly thin around this time. Get a Fastpass for Racers as soon as you get in, and then go straight to Paradise Pier to get some rides in.

I strongly disagree with this strategy. The Paradise Pier rides will NOT have a longer line than Racers at all. So get to the park early, before opening, go right to the RSR Fastpass, get a Fastpass as soon as you can, and then go right for the Standby line. RSR's Standby line will most likely be the shortest it will be all day long right at opening, and you can usually get in TWO rides on it within the first hour the park is open (one via Standby and one with your FastPass), and then even sometimes get another FastPass for it BEFORE you use your original FastPass.

Screamin' should have FastPass available all day long, no problem, and the lines aren't too bad.

The other thing to consider, while RSR is good, it's no Test Track, and if you're been on Test Track, the first thing you'll notice when you get to the outdoor section is "Why is this ride going so slow?"

As much as we liked RSR, two rides was plenty for us.

I would go to DCA for opening on your first day, get in as many rides as possible, and then hop over to Disneyland. If you like RSR enough, perhaps start there the next morning again and then hop over to Disneyland, but if you've never been to either park, I'd say DCA is a good 1/2 to 3/4 day park now, while Disneyland you can easily spend a day to a day and a half there no problem. Even if you stay for World of Colour at DCA. See the first show, and then spend the last 3-4 hours over at Disneyland.

Oh, and another thing. There are some good restaurants across the street (Meaning just a five-minute walk from the plaza) if you want more for your $$$. There's an a Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles opening soon IHOP, a Mimi's, a Subway, and a McDonald's.

While I know there aren't as many places to eat at Disneyland as there are at Walt Disney World, if you're flying across the country on vacation, especially at a Disney park, I would absolutely try some of the restaurants on property before I'd suggest going to IHOP, Subway, or McDonald's, which you can get anywhere.

Make reservations for Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans, Carthay Circle, Naples, and if you're looking for something more unique that's off-property, Fire & Ice in Garden Walk was fantastic! Why would you go to "Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles" when you have these options???

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I say Robb pretty much hit the nail on the head with that. The only variables left are nighttime entertainment (WoC, Mad T Party, Fantasmic and Fireworks). It's easy to do all 4 in 2 days (WoC and Mad T one night and Fireworks and Fantasmic the other) but it would require you to stay in DCA all day if you start in the morning or to hop to DL during the middle of the day. EDIT: I see now Robb already covered nighttime stuff too, missed that the first time. Pretty much just listen to Robb on this one.

If you're like me, DCA can be made into a full day through food and shows. Meals and treats (like Ghirradeli) help fill in the gaps between rides as does Aladdin and the small shows in Buena Vista Street and other areas of the park. Even then you will likely have to stretch it to get a whole day. DCA also has alcohol to help pass the time

Robb's advice on RSR is dead on, get it done with FP and stand-by to start the day. If your group doesn't care, single rider is a great choice too. After that, it's pretty easy to do the rest with normal lines and Fastpass.

Yeah, I always forget about shows because I'm not a theme park show person. I've still never stepped foot inside the Hyperion theater, I worked an entire summer of Fantastic!, so I don't ever need to see that show again, and I've seen World of Colour once, and if I need to see it again, I can watch Disney movie trailers on my iPod while in the shower. And fireworks, meh, I guess I've seen so many fireworks shows over the years that how much can blowing stuff up in the sky really change? Personally, the only fireworks shows I really like are the ones where I go get mortars from our local fireworks stands over 4th or New Years.

So yeah, there are shows... if you're into them, it might change your plans a bit, but if you're not... stick with what I posted!

--Robb "Still never seen a single show at Animal Kingdom and everyone tells me they are awesome! Oh, well..." Alvey

ps. Sorry, William!

Edited by robbalvey

http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/california-496298-disney-disneyland.html

ANAHEIM – Southern California residents can't get deep discounts on Disneyland and Disney California Adventure tickets this spring as they have for the past decade.

Disney sold 2-for-1 tickets or similar deals to local residents from 2003 through last year as a way to bring in visitors during the slower season, usually January through May. But higher attendance, bolstered by last year's Cars Land improvements, prompted the parks to cancel the discounts this year.

Disney California Adventure opened its featured Radiator Springs ride on June 15 in Cars Land.

"We regularly evaluate our offerings in the local market and make decisions based on our business needs," said Suzi Brown, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman.

The move has disappointed some Southern California residents.

Xenia Galaviz of Buena Park was waiting for the ticket offer to take a family outing with her husband and four boys. Now, they likely won't go.

"We planned on visiting California Adventure because my husband hasn't been to Cars Land yet, and we haven't seen World of Color," Galaviz wrote in an email.

The Anaheim resort has had record attendance since the June debut of the $1 billion makeover of Disney California Adventure, including the 12-acre area based on the "Cars" movies.

Until last year, the 12-year-old park struggled to draw tourists and keep up with next door's Disneyland. Now, attendance usually is equally split between Disney California Adventure and Disneyland.The Anaheim parks had much stronger surges than did Florida's Walt Disney World in late summer and fall.

"The great success of Cars Land, both from a quality and from a quantity perspective in terms of attendance and pricing, has reflected itself in Disneyland Resort greatly outgrowing Walt Disney World," said Jay Rasulo, the company's financial officer, in a November conference call with investors.

As a result, Disney is offering Florida residents their own local deal this spring: A three-day, local ticket is selling for $119. Normal three-day tickets cost $242.

In Anaheim, though, Southern California residents get the same promotion as everyone else: A three-day ticket for $220.

The regular price for a one-day, one-park ticket is $87 for adults.

^ Bad news for cheap bastards. GREAT news for the park!

And I like how the Californians are once again trying to brag and use this as a way to say that Florida locals need discounts? WTF? They've been doing the Florida resident discount FOREVER mainly because Walt Disney World doesn't have a "locals market" like California does. It's something like less than 10% of Walt Disney World's attendance is from Florida. It's kinda nice, to be honest, not having a bunch of locals at the parks!

Edited by robbalvey

Uh oh.. here comes the local bitching. I look at this as a positive. DLR is finally becoming the tourist destination that they had hoped for it to be 12 years ago when it expanded, and less of a local hot spot. I hope that it discourages the locals from going more and we get the better variety of people who appreciate what they get to experience at the parks, like what is more of the case at WDW.

It's really weird to see the sudden 180 DCA has made. I assumed the relaunch would be successful and the park would begin to gain popularity, but the fact that it was SO big so quickly and has maintained it is awesome! Interesting to see what comes in the near future.

^ Bad news for cheap bastards. GREAT news for the park!

And I like how the Californians are once again trying to brag and use this as a way to say that Florida locals need discounts? WTF? They've been doing the Florida resident discount FOREVER mainly because Walt Disney World doesn't have a "locals market" like California does. It's something like less than 10% of Walt Disney World's attendance is from Florida. It's kinda nice, to be honest, not having a bunch of locals at the parks!

It's their way of coping with the size of their Disney resort. If WDW was tiny and didn't have so much to do, they would probably not have to discount either. Some Californians just have to compensate for what they are lacking by putting down the financial success of WDW.