TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I think the only exception (other than the ride breaking down) that they could add to FastPass return times would be if you eat IN the park at a SIT DOWN restaurant. Then the restaurant could 'validate' your fastpass almost like how parking works at some places! That would be a cool perk!

I agree that would be smart. Aside from a ride breaking down, slow food service is one other variable Disney is directly responsible for. Not only that, what if you get your fastpass first and a restaurant only has reservation times available in the same window? Can't imagine Disney would want to miss out on that revenue. I hope that CM's are still given some flexibility when situations like that come up.

Doesn't bother me that they are enforcing the return time. I would be curious to know how many people knew, outside of fan boys and enthusiasts, that you could return at any time? I remember at Epcot a few years ago before the enforcement that when I got FP for Test Track the return time was late in the afternoon and a guy came up to me and traded for his early afternoon return time. He had lunch plans or something and wouldn't make his early window.

I think the only exception (other than the ride breaking down) that they could add to FastPass return times would be if you eat IN the park at a SIT DOWN restaurant. Then the restaurant could 'validate' your fastpass almost like how parking works at some places! That would be a cool perk!

This is a brilliant idea. Would love to see this implemented.

dt

So this is happening...

Disney Parks Blog

We’ll be celebrating the upcoming release of “Oz The Great and Powerful” when the “Journey to Oz Balloon Tour” floats into the Disneyland Resort on February 17. Part of a multi-city tour sponsored by HSN and IMAX Corporation, the tour kicks off February 12 from the Walt Disney Studios lot in Burbank, Calif.

OZ.jpg.e5eb6b91f2481feaaabf9f9d27d24b2b.jpg

Before visiting the Disneyland Resort, the balloon tour will appear at the “Oz The Great and Powerful” premiere at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood on February 13. After it departs the Disneyland Resort, the tour will stop at the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla., on February 20 and at Central Park in New York City on March 5-6.

Fans can also unlock screenings of the film in cities near them through the “Journey to Oz Balloon Tour” app, which launches on Facebook.com/OzTheGreatAndPowerful on February 15. And don’t miss “Oz The Great and Powerful” when it opens in U.S. theaters and IMAX on March 8!

And there is also the extended preview of the film coming soon to the Muppet's Theater inside DCA. They really seem to be pushing this a lot.

Well, considering Alice in Wonderland made over $1 Billion worldwide in 2010, plus the fact this movie is rumored to have cost around $200 Million (not including marketing!) I'm sure they want to repeat the success and make sure EVERYONE knows about this movie. Especially after the disaster known as John Carter. I'll probably check out the movie, but if it sucks at least the Raimi produced remake of Evil Dead being released a month later looks like a lot of fun.

(and as a STRONG word of warning, I wouldn't watch the following trailer on a full stomach, but that kiss at 2:05 is so hot)

I, too, have used Fast Passes after the "window" has closed (but I usually make it to the attraction in time), but have no issues with the park deciding to enforce the Fast Pass rules more strictly. In the long run, it'll be better for the park and the guests.

You know, I honestly don't recall ever going to an attraction and using FastPass during the allotted time, I abused the hell out of that system as often as I could, but I'm also not going to complain that they are enforcing the rules now. I'll adjust just fine, as will all of the batshit insane AP holders that will throw a tantrum the first (twenty) time(s) they are denied. Poor Cast Members, I want to bring them all cookies for having to deal with them.

Well, considering Alice in Wonderland made over $1 Billion worldwide in 2010, plus the fact this movie is rumored to have cost around $200 Million (not including marketing!) I'm sure they want to repeat the success and make sure EVERYONE knows about this movie. Especially after the disaster known as John Carter. I'll probably check out the movie, but if it sucks at least the Raimi produced remake of Evil Dead being released a month later looks like a lot of fun.

Well, Evil Dead isn't quite the same audience despite it looking more "fun." Personally I have 0 desire to watch a movie that didn't need a remake, even if the original director is involved. And John Carter's biggest cause for disaster was that Disney launched one of, if not the worst marketing campaigns in the history of film that confused people more than anything. Fans were making better trailers that even Andrew Stanton was admitting were far superior than the crap Disney was making. I thought it was a great film, easily one of my favorites (though I may be biased being a fan of the books).

As far as Oz goes. I think it has the potential to be awesome, so I'm looking forward to seeing it and hoping for great things. And their marketing is straight forward and everywhere, so there is little excuse for it to fail other than people not caring about Oz anymore.

And John Carter's biggest cause for disaster was that Disney launched one of, if not the worst marketing campaigns in the history of film that confused people more than anything. Fans were making better trailers that even Andrew Stanton was admitting were far superior than the crap Disney was making. I thought it was a great film, easily one of my favorites (though I may be biased being a fan of the books).

I'd say the marketing, coupled with a HIGHLY inflated budget (surpassing even that of the Avengers) were the reason why the film failed. Overall it was a solid movie. I enjoyed it. Not outstanding like the Avengers or Dark Knight Returns, but didn't deserve to be the flop that it was.

Lots of neat things happening at DL! I'm glad the fastpass enforcement is happening. That hot-air balloon looks totally awesome.

And for the record, I'm (Probably one of the only) So Cal dude who is really OK with the changes... I just sit back and let them happen, why whine about it, ya know? Silly fanboys

I, too, have used Fast Passes after the "window" has closed (but I usually make it to the attraction in time), but have no issues with the park deciding to enforce the Fast Pass rules more strictly. In the long run, it'll be better for the park and the guests.

You know, I honestly don't recall ever going to an attraction and using FastPass during the allotted time, I abused the hell out of that system as often as I could, but I'm also not going to complain that they are enforcing the rules now. I'll adjust just fine, as will all of the batshit insane AP holders that will throw a tantrum the first (twenty) time(s) they are denied. Poor Cast Members, I want to bring them all cookies for having to deal with them.

I wasn't even aware that you could use a Fast Pass after it had "expired" until a few years ago, when someone mentioned it to me.

I agree that would be smart. Aside from a ride breaking down, slow food service is one other variable Disney is directly responsible for. Not only that, what if you get your fastpass first and a restaurant only has reservation times available in the same window?

I think she's talking about the reverse, since, well, we normally deal with this at Walt Disney World where we've made dining reservations in advance. It's quite often, we'll go to Epcot, for example, for lunch, have a reservation at 12:30 somewhere in World Showcase, and go to get a Test Track Fastpass, and the return times are between 12:30 - 1:30, the exact times we'll be at lunch.

It would be nice to be able to get a Fastpass, and then as a perk because we're eating on property, have someone at the restaurant stamp our Fastpass so we can still use it, lets say for another 30 or 60 minutes or something. After all, we're are using the Fastpass system as it was intended! Grab a Fastpass, and then spend money somewhere else instead of waiting in line.

However, MyMagic+ should completely eliminate this, as we'd be able to reserve both our dinner reservation time AND our FastPass time all together!

That being said, on the few times this has happened, we just went and rode Test Track using Single Rider anyway, so it's not really a complaint, but just a way to improve the system, which will be a moot point in a few months, I guess...

As to what Robb is saying it seems like CM's are going to give people a 30 minute grace period for things like that. Thus far i dont think it will be too much of an issue with restaurants, but not having gone through the Fastpass training im not 100% sure what they will do, just hearing the scuttlebutt at handoff.

Also: If you go to DCA and hate the new blue color of Tower (like i do) please make it known in the park (as in go to guest services and fill out a feedback card DO NOT CHEW OUT A CM!!!!!!!!!!!).

As to what Robb is saying it seems like CM's are going to give people a 30 minute grace period for things like that.

There is no grace period with the return times here at Walt Disney World. If you arrive after your FastPass time, you're not allowed in the queue. DEAL WITH IT! YOU'RE LATE! Personally, this is the way it should be. There's a time printed on the ticket. Everyone has a watch or a mobile phone that tells you what time it is. The moment you start allowing any sort of "grace period" you're back to where we were the last 10+ years of people abusing the system.

I wasn't saying that there should be a "grace period", I was saying that there should be some kind of actual system put in place so that if you're out spending money at an expensive on-property Walt Disney World restaurant and your window is while you're at your meal, they can stamp your pass with an official time extension (sort of how we have re-admission cards) so you can go right from your restaurant to the ride. I wasn't saying that's a free ride to be able to just come back at your leisure 30 minutes late and site "Oh, I had a dinner reservation" as an excuse. I forget that people will just try to be obnoxious and abuse that system too, so forget what I just said. I'd rather the system be "fair" for everyone.

Leave it up to the typically late Californians to try to further abuse that system and feel they need a "grace period" because no one can possibly get to where they are supposed to be on time. Pathetic.

Also: If you go to DCA and hate the new blue color of Tower (like i do) please make it known in the park (as in go to guest services and fill out a feedback card).

Yes, because that's exactly what California needs more of. More obnoxious Disney people going around complaining about stupid pointless things like animatronic hair and colour of paint. Really? You guys just got a brand new, fantastic looking land in DCA, one of the best new rides on property in almost 20 years, so many improvements to a park that really needed it, and you're even getting decent stuff for Limited Time Magic, and you're complaining about the colour of a building?!?! Really? REALLY?!!?! *facepalm*

Here's an idea - How about NOT complaining about something for a change, and just be happy you're at a Disney Park and not at Magic Mountain.

--Robb "These are just examples of why I can't stand going to the California Disney parks anymore!!!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

The fact that there's been backlash both times Disney has announced this change (WDW and now DL) amazes me...I guess I was just stupid but I never even thought to abuse the system. If I didn't make it in time to use my Fastpass, I never even bothered. It has a time stamped on it and I knew what time I would be reserving when I got the thing - if I didn't plan on being there in that window, I shouldn't have gotten it or I'll have to give it up. Simple as that.

The fact that there's been backlash both times Disney has announced this change (WDW and now DL) amazes me.

The only "backlash" has come from obnoxious Disney fanboys. If it wasn't for those people complaining, this change would have happened, and no one would have really noticed. It's been in effect now at Walt Disney World for about a year, and you don't ever hear ANYTHING about it. Ever.

Your average WDW guest didn't even know they could come back after the return times, so it really hasn't been an issue.

^I'm sure as the system becomes more clearly in place we'll see the enforcement become more and more restricted. However, as it's just started, it doesn't surprise me that some leniency is permitted, just for the sake of slowly changing over. I'm sure that at WDW there was a little bit of a grace period after the system was implemented.

I personally only go to Disney maybe once a year at most, and hardly use Fastpasses. Usually my family arrives at opening, gets all the big E tickets done, then takes the rest of the park at a nice leisurely pace.

On another note The new Fantasy Faire area looks absolutely stellar and the attention to detail is equal (if not exceeding) that of New Fantasyland, although on a smaller scale.

^I'm sure as the system becomes more clearly in place we'll see the enforcement become more and more restricted. However, as it's just started, it doesn't surprise me that some leniency is permitted, just for the sake of slowly changing over. I'm sure that at WDW there was a little bit of a grace period after the system was implemented.

There wasn't. The people that go to WDW aren't obnoxious, self-entitled Californians, so it wasn't a problem.

There wasn't. The people that go to WDW aren't obnoxious, self-entitled Californians, so it wasn't a problem.

Oh well then. Hopefully it'll work out.

There is no grace period with the return times here at Walt Disney World. If you arrive after your FastPass time, you're not allowed in the queue. DEAL WITH IT! YOU'RE LATE!

Actually, I believe attractions CMs are trained at WDW to allow a 15 minute grace period.

I was wondering if anyone knows if older park hopper passes (no expiry option) I bought in Walt Disney World are able to be used at California properties? I have 2 days left on each and will be onthe West coast for a couple of days and would like to use them if I could. Just curious.