TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

World of Color or Fantasmic in 3D would be lame. I think it would take some of the 'realism' out of the experience. 3d has been in such a huge decline anyways, I don't see why they would want to do that.

If it were to be a single effect within an attraction (a dark ride of some sort), then maybe it could be neat if used in the right way. I suppose they could also do it on a 'smoke screen' as well, like the effects on pirates and Indy.

Post from the future (heard it hear first)... World of Color in 3D by 2014....

Thoughts?

It's odd you keep insisting these patents will come to fruition...being such a big Apple fan you know companies patent stuff all of the time and it never happens. They're just protecting potential ideas from being used by other companies.

^Wes.. The thing is if you look at the past 40 patent applications by Disney, every single patent before 2009 has actually come to fruition..

If you look at the past 40 patent applications by Apple, It's 2-4 (lot of grey area) that actually came to fruition..

Disney only patents things they actually build. Conversely Apple, being scorned by not patenting things 20 years ago, PATENTS EVERYTHING.. Random idea on the sh*tter? Apple patents it. Disney- Six years of development and when we finally reach the end game, we file a patent.

I don't really care one way or another, some patents come to light, some get buried. It's fun seeing what companies come up with (Disney, Universal, Microsoft, Apple..whoever) but just saying something getting filed with the patent office means it's coming imminently is probably putting the wrong information out there.

I'm not a big fan of '3D' as an effect, but this would be impressive if they can make it work. Current 3D technology requires fairly precise projection so if they can manage to make it work on a 'water' screen that would definitely be worth seeing.

World of Color or Fantasmic in 3D would be lame. I think it would take some of the 'realism' out of the experience. 3d has been in such a huge decline anyways, I don't see why they would want to do that.

I disagree. My favorite part of World of Color is the buzz lightyear portion because the lasers add a new dimension to it. Even though it is technically impressive, watching a Disney clipshow with water cannon's gets boring after awhile. I think integrating some 3d portions of the show would make it more enjoyable.

Interesting idea. I go to quite a bit of 3D movies and if the focus is even slightly off it can ruin the picture. That being said, I wonder how well the effect would work on movin/falling water. Could be really cool if they get it right. Also, I could see them putting this effect more in the inside shows like A Bug's Life, or my hope, Muppet Vision 3D.

Edited by jray21

I would worry about the glasses getting constantly wet because of the mist or spray from the fountains...people would be taking them off constantly to wipe them down.

Yeah, exactly. There's a ton of issues to figure out (such as how you distribute glasses in the first place), which is why I imagine Disney would file for the patent now so they can own it while refining the concept.

Unless it's a windy day (so excluding the last time I watched the DHS Fantasmic from the front row and got drenched), I don't have much of a problem with World of Color or either Fantasmic in the front sections as far as my glasses are concerned. Windy days might cause the 3D glasses to get rained on, but people will just have to wipe them off. Other than that, it's really not that hard to watch the show through the mist.

Handing out the glasses and then trying to get them all back would be a pretty logistical nightmare, not impossible, but that's a crazy number of glasses. It would be a much easier process in the stadium at the Hollywood studios park, than having to wheel out carts and bins and whatever else into the middle of the park for World of Color.

Having water get on the lenses isn't a huge deal, I mean I wear glasses and I would have to put up with that anyways. also I'm pretty sure water gets on them all the time in the 3D shows, as well as them still being wet a lot of the time from being cleaned.

I would imagine wind would have a huge effect on the quality of the image though, even more so than it does now, as it would cause the light from the projectors to refract around. 3D images have to be pretty exact to work right and the image 'doubling' from showing up in the mist would mess that all up.

Seems like it would only work really well with a perfect 'waterfall' screen instead of a mist screen. Universal might actually be able to incorporate it into their nighttime show a lot easier.

Handing out the glasses and then trying to get them all back would be a pretty logistical nightmare, not impossible, but that's a crazy number of glasses. It would be a much easier process in the stadium at the Hollywood studios park, than having to wheel out carts and bins and whatever else into the middle of the park for World of Color.

Seeing as the entrances to Paradise Park for the show are limited (especially for the first show, where they require Fastpasses to even get in), I don't see why each entrance to the standing area can't have its own stock of glasses. It's no more glasses than they've got for any of the rides that need them, and most people give those back, especially if an employee is near the return bins.

^ Mother Theresa.

So today was my career day at my school. One of my friends parents is high up in Disney corporate. So I asked if Innoventions was to be torn down and Iron Man was to take its place. She said It would be torn down this year, and be replaced with Iron Man. How I know she is right. She was involved in the overseeing of designof Iron Man.

This is a lie. How do I know this? Because I personally spend enough time working for Disney corporate to know that nobody "high up in Disney corporate" would go announcing plans for the park including the removal of attractions or new ones getting installed to a group of school kids because she knows it would get her not only fired, but blacklisted out of the industry for the rest of her life.

--Robb "Nice try, kid..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^ Mother Theresa.

So today was my career day at my school. One of my friends parents is high up in Disney corporate. So I asked if Innoventions was to be torn down and Iron Man was to take its place. She said It would be torn down this year, and be replaced with Iron Man. How I know she is right. She was involved in the overseeing of designof Iron Man.

This is a lie. How do I know this? Because I personally spend enough time working for Disney corporate to know that nobody "high up in Disney corporate" would go announcing plans for the park including the removal of attractions or new ones getting installed to a group of school kids because she knows it would get her not only fired, but blacklisted out of the industry for the rest of her life.

--Robb "Nice try, kid..." Alvey

Hey calling me a liar is rude dude. I am not lying. She is my friends mom. I know her personally. Also she did not announce it like everyone were building Iron Man . She told me personally. I know I am right. When they announce it I want you to take me seriously next time. Also, that was very offensive calling me a liar.

Thanks

Calvin

^ You really don't get it, do you?

I too, worked at Disney corporate and if I were to walk into a students "career day" and tell anyone what you claim she told you, I would totally be fired. So she's either the biggest idiot at Disney corporate or your a liar. So, let's see, what do I think? Who has got more to lose? A kid that wants to look like they got a "scoop" on a theme park forum, or a woman who could lose her 6-figure salary?

And if she did tell you personally, then you've just betrayed her trust by telling this forum, and she's still an idiot for telling you in the first place when someone in her position should "know better" than to tell anyone trade secrets that could and will get leaked out to the internet.

Either way, this is dumb. Period.

--Robb "Ps. Get a spell checker." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

And anyways, I like Innoventions... It gives me a great view of the Rocket Rods platform!

Part of the reason I don't like Innoventions is because of that. It looks at my face and jeers at me what was once there.

What was there that you liked?