TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

So according the the Buena Vista Bugle (the DCA in park News Paper) OZ The Great and Powerful will be moving into the Muppet Vision Theater for a preview. The new preview starts showing in Mid February and has show times "throughout the day". So this could mean they will switch between Muppets and OZ throughout the day, or the theater could just be strictly OZ for the time being. The movie opens in theaters March 8th so expect the preview to run through then.

Yeah, they are all extended previews normally ranging 5-10 minutes of footage. And they are actual chunks from the films, not cut or edited, just a straight pull from the film. They tend to take footage from the beginning of the films that have aspects that the theater can use: wind, water, and lighting effects.

I really liked the Tron one, and the Franken Weenie one was cute.

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

The limited time magic events for DLR seem so much better than the ones for WDW. The new food offerings alone make me want to take an extra trip to DL!

I agree! I'm actually almost jealous! Seriously though, it makes sense. DLR is much more pulling locals and wanting people to have a reason to come back over and over again throughout the year. WDW guests don't really know or care about these special things and I'm learning as we live there that most of our Annual Passholders are terrible people that belong in SoCal!

The limited time magic events for DLR seem so much better than the ones for WDW. The new food offerings alone make me want to take an extra trip to DL!

I agree! I'm actually almost jealous! Seriously though, it makes sense. DLR is much more pulling locals and wanting people to have a reason to come back over and over again throughout the year. WDW guests don't really know or care about these special things and I'm learning as we live there that most of our Annual Passholders are terrible people that belong in SoCal!

There are enough terrible APs here, we don't need any from Florida thank you.

Though, I am a little surprised WDW isn't doing similar things as DL. I get the AP presence there isn't as big, they they still exist.

Though, I am a little surprised WDW isn't doing similar things as DL. I get the AP presence there isn't as big, they they still exist.

It's just not enough. I know this is hard for most Californians to understand, but less than 10% of the ticket sales at WDW are annual passes. The majority of the visitors at WDW are here for their "one time vacation" and are already going to be overwhelmed with four parks and more worth of stuff to do, that a special cupcake, special Mickey costume, or even bringing back a show that they've never seen in the first place, isn't going to make any difference to their visit.

Personally, I feel this entire promotion was really perfect for the Disneyland audience, since it's majority local based, but really doesn't work for WDW, but I feel like in order to "sell" Disney Parks on the idea, they needed to include both coasts to amortize the cost the promotion. It's easy for someone in SoCal to make a "spur of the moment" visit to Disneyland to catch something that's only going on for a week, but it's not easy for someone plan a WDW trip for something they don't know about until last minute.

I mean, the stuff that they are doing at WDW is "nice" for the random visitor, I guess, but isn't really going to "wow" any locals, especially when WDW already has some really great annual "limited time" events that don't cost anything extra, like Food & Wine, Flower & Garden, Star Wars Weekends and the Osborne lights, that people will plan a vacation around, so really, how do you top that?

Did anyone sign up for the Disneyland Marathon Weekend events? WOW, they sell out fast!

I wanted to register for the 10K, which went on sale at 9am today. I logged on at 1:30PM and it was all sold out!

So I settled for the 5K, which I'm still happy with. It is my first race after all.

I hope Amy and I are signed up for the Dumbo! We did it at the WDW marathon expo and are still waiting for confirmation. I've never seen it fill up this fast. I understand the Dumbo Double Dare (DDD) and 10k selling out as it is the first time they've done them, but the half is already at 75%! I'm surprised they haven't decided to do a full marathon yet. There definitely would be enough demand. You should follow the running thread!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52689&hilit=running

I know this is hard for most Californians to understand, but less than 10% of the ticket sales at WDW are annual passes. The majority of the visitors at WDW are here for their "one time vacation"

I know that I am a DL AP holder, but I only go 4 or 5 times a year, and this sounds like heaven. I would love to visit Disneyland with less locals and more distant tourists.

Did anyone sign up for the Disneyland Marathon Weekend events? WOW, they sell out fast!

I wanted to register for the 10K, which went on sale at 9am today. I logged on at 1:30PM and it was all sold out!

So I settled for the 5K, which I'm still happy with. It is my first race after all.

I was lucky to get into the Half. I'm bummed I missed the Dumbo Double Dare, but the Half is my main reason for going. Contemplating doing the 5K as well, I had a blast doing it last year.

I know this is hard for most Californians to understand, but less than 10% of the ticket sales at WDW are annual passes. The majority of the visitors at WDW are here for their "one time vacation"

I know that I am a DL AP holder, but I only go 4 or 5 times a year, and this sounds like heaven. I would love to visit Disneyland with less locals and more distant tourists.

It's certainly a different vibe. Even the locals who only go once a year, or once every couple of years have all seen the "show" before, and they know what to expect. But when you walk around WDW and you see that the majority of the people are either viewing something for the first time ever, or even the first time in ten years, it's amazing to watch peoples reactions.

It's not often you get someone through the gates of Disneyland who have "never been to a Disney park before", but it's more of a common occurrence at WDW.

^I get the impression that some Disneyland APs are dismissive of the other parks in the area, even though it's a different experience they just won't bother because "Disneyland is better".

Is this the same in Orlando? (granted Universal is definitely a cut above the one in LA)

I (like Joey) got signed up for the Dumbo Double Dare during the Expo at WDW Marathon Weekend. Unlike Joey, however, the electronic registration systems were working properly when I did mine, and so I have the full confirmation that I'm in.

I know this is record speed for a runDisney race, with the half selling out just over 26 hours after it opened, and the DDD and 10K incredibly fast, but this is tarting to reach the speed of some of the most popular MARATHONS (Chicago, Boston, Marine Corps) in the country. it's a little insane.

It seems that your best be of getting into one of the west coast events is to visit a runDisney expo just before registration is scheduled to open. I shudder to think how fast Tink '14 will sell out - or if there will even be a GP registration.

I still haven't heard from RunDisney about our actual registration, but a lady did call this morning to get Amy's credit card for her paper registration since Amy forgot a number. So at least now both of our credit cards have been charged. I received a generic confirmation email, but like I said before, the link to verify the info didn't work, and a call to Active.com said that I wasn't registered for any race. So we'll see, but at least we can show that we did pay for the race!

They did offer Disney Visa members early access to registration, and they also offered early registration to AP members. I think they announced it on their Twitter feed, as I don't recall seeing anything on the websites, emails, or Facebook, but I may be wrong. Disney is notorious for having terrible servers for special event signups that something this big could cause them to go to a lottery system. Hopefully not, but we'll see!

Edited by jray21

Are any of the other races this insane when registration starts? Next time I'm going to use my Visa or AP privileges to register early. I'm happy to at least get to do the Half, but really wanted to do the Dumbo Double Dare.

I can't believe Toon Town is 20 years old! Crazy how time flies. That means Indy will be 20 years old in 2 years. Hard to believe that the last brand new E-Ticket to Disneyland was built almost 20 years ago (Winnie the Pooh is not an E-Ticket in my opinion).

I can't believe Toon Town is 20 years old! Crazy how time flies. That means Indy will be 20 years old in 2 years. Hard to believe that the last brand new E-Ticket to Disneyland was built almost 20 years ago (Winnie the Pooh is not an E-Ticket in my opinion).

Well, they did get a bit sidetracked with building a new park, a new hotel, a new shopping district--then with having to "fix" the new park. That being said, I'd love to see a new E-Ticket ride at Disneyland, too.

^ I was in no way complaining, more remarking on how long it's actually been when it doesn't feel that way. Personally I'm thrilled they took the route of keeping up the existing rides that we already love. Space Mountain is much improved because of it, I personally love the subs, and I'm excited to see a fresh Big Thunder.

Are any of the other races this insane when registration starts? Next time I'm going to use my Visa or AP privileges to register early. I'm happy to at least get to do the Half, but really wanted to do the Dumbo Double Dare.

I've heard it was close to this bad was when they first offered the Goofy. I've ran every Disneyland 1/2 except for the first one, and a few WDW marathon/goofy races and have never seen it even close to this bad. I've never see the 1/2 sell out this fast, but every year it's been earlier and earlier. I can't believe that only 3 days after opening every single race is already full! I'm scared for next year!