TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Interesting that the concept art shown basically a blacklight show, which would be difficult in an outdoor theater.

I would imagine that with a dark stage, the colors would still pop even during the day.

Sorry to kick it back to the rude Southern California people... but i kinda need to vent after my day at work.

For those who dont know, i work at the Disneyland Resort on the world famous "Crappy Tower of Terror". One of the biggest issues we have is gum in the scenes. However its not just a little bit. apparently there is a game of seeing how far you can fling change and gum into the room. The problem with this (besides a REALLY??? gross...) is the fact that this can mess with effects in both scenes. That means i have to spend time cleaning gum instead of doing valuble things with my time, like fixing the lighting, broken speakers and other things that need maintenance or leave the gum, both which are bad show. Its sad that people do things like this... and its worse that i have to spend time on it instead of real maintenance that would improve the attraction or the park as a whole.

^Yuck! Little is as enragingly disgusting as cleaning up gum. As a guest, I've never witnessed this nasty vandalism. I'd report it in a second. I don't expect an answer but have to wonder. Does Disney policy allow the ejection of these unruly guests? Once in a while when some knucklehead "needs" to float a penny (I'm guessing it is common), they are sometimes caught and admonished but allowed to walk away. Too bad the cameras aren't more of a deterrent.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/01/get-a-look-at-whats-next-for-disneyland-park-when-blue-sky-cellar-reopens-january-19/

Savvy Disneyland Resort fans know the best place to get up-close with what’s coming up next at the Happiest Place on Earth is Blue Sky Cellar at Disney California Adventure park. Every so often, this exhibit space closes temporarily so Walt Disney Imagineering can add new items showing what they’re working on next at the Resort.

Blue Sky Cellar closed yesterday for its latest update and will reopen January 19 to feature artwork and models for our next experience, Fantasy Faire at Disneyland park. As we’ve told you here on the Disney Parks Blog, Fantasy Faire – which opens in spring 2013 – will be an enchanting village square where guests will be immersed in the stories of their favorite Disney princesses.

Also featured in this update will be the artwork that Shawn showed you in his announcement for “Mickey and the Magical Map,” that will open this summer in Fantasyland Theatre.

Be sure to stop by Blue Sky Cellar after it reopens on January 19 and get an up-close look at what is coming to Disneyland park in 2013!

wdi666118SMALL.jpg.ca0960c5bee54ea6280d50508d572448.jpg

wdi222012SMALL.jpg.7516e2e2357f22e48da2d1e14de57134.jpg

ope193847SMALL.jpg.1187cda7a5a3e7fc7893883244b20d88.jpg

Sorry to kick it back to the rude Southern California people... but i kinda need to vent after my day at work.

For those who dont know, i work at the Disneyland Resort on the world famous "Crappy Tower of Terror". One of the biggest issues we have is gum in the scenes. However its not just a little bit. apparently there is a game of seeing how far you can fling change and gum into the room. The problem with this (besides a REALLY??? gross...) is the fact that this can mess with effects in both scenes. That means i have to spend time cleaning gum instead of doing valuble things with my time, like fixing the lighting, broken speakers and other things that need maintenance or leave the gum, both which are bad show. Its sad that people do things like this... and its worse that i have to spend time on it instead of real maintenance that would improve the attraction or the park as a whole.

Why doesn't the custodial team do that?

^ I thought the same thing. I'm also surprised that they don't get the people that do that. A friend of mine had a water bottle come out of a side pouch on her bag one time and it flew up once before she grabbed it. After the ride, there was an operator waiting at the exit for her to warn her that she would be removed from the park if she came back to the ride that day... and that was just for an accident. I'm would think that if the operators see it on camera they would have the jackasses kicked out of the park. Once it gets around that they are getting kicked out for it, maybe they'll stop.

As for the Blue Sky Cellar post. I'm happy to see that! I was worried that with DCA done, the attraction would be removed. It's a really cool place to get insight into imagineering. I'm glad they are keeping it to showcase things at Disneyland as well. I wouldn't be opposed to them showcasing big additions to WDW either. I just enjoy checking out all the cool models and what-not.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/01/update-a-salute-to-the-golden-horseshoe-revue-at-disneyland-park/

I know many of you are excited about the upcoming “A Salute to the Golden Horseshoe Revue,” part of “Limited Time Magic” here at the Disneyland Resort. That’s why I wanted to make sure you had the latest updates about the show, and I’m working on answering some of the questions you’ve posted here on the Disney Parks Blog.

First, in case you missed the update we posted last Wednesday, here is some important information about how to reserve a seat for “A Salute to the Golden Horseshoe Revue.” Please visit the podium at the entrance to the Golden Horseshoe on the date of your selected performance, and a cast member will issue a ticket for your preferred show time, based on availability, which you will then use for admission to the show. It is similar to the process that was used during the original run of the “Golden Horseshoe Revue.”

Next, Disneyland APs should click here to learn about a special Golden Horseshoe dinner package. Performances are filling up, so make your reservation soon!

Some of you have asked about other details for the performances, and I’m working on getting those for you – so check back here, and I’ll post more updates as I receive them.

Remember – “A Salute to the Golden Horseshoe Revue” runs January 10 to February 4 at Disneyland park, so be sure to take advantage of this “Limited Time Magic” before it rides off into the sunset!

UPDATE 1/7/13: Brian from CA asked about whether food will be served during the general performances. The answer is yes! Pam Brandon will have the details on the menu in a Disney Parks Blog post soon.

UPDATE 1/8/13: I’ve got more answers to some of your questions today:

• A stand-by line will be available for performances, but we strongly recommend that you reserve a seat for your preferred show.
  • There is not a party size limit, but keep in mind that large groups may be separated due to table size and availability.

tgh112121LARGE.jpg.7c46eab1051494f8b91e1d4906cb5ce6.jpg

Why doesn't the custodial team do that?

I doubt that custodial is allowed into the show scenes.

thats actually exactly it. We have to tape off where they can go since someone on custodial cleaned some of the dust that was supposed to stay, and left some dust that was supposed to leave. Not to mention faceplanting into some of our effects

How hard would it be to pay a custodial CM .50 cents more an hour, train him or her to be a specialized attractions cleaner (read: walkthrough with the tech services team to show them exactly what needs to be done/what they can touch/etc.) and call it a day?

Seems stupid to me to waste the time of a much higher paid technician on cleaning.

Mostly due to shift issues. Its not just 1 person you need to do that with, its about 5 (main, support and call in coverage). Not to mention the fact that 3rd shift custodial is (along with every trade except electricians) chronically short staffed. Custodial really only has the manpower to do selected areas in the attractions. In reality it would make sense, but beancounters in florida are what they are.

How hard would it be to pay a custodial CM .50 cents more an hour, train him or her to be a specialized attractions cleaner (read: walkthrough with the tech services team to show them exactly what needs to be done/what they can touch/etc.) and call it a day?

Seems stupid to me to waste the time of a much higher paid technician on cleaning.

Mostly due to shift issues. Its not just 1 person you need to do that with, its about 5 (main, support and call in coverage). Not to mention the fact that 3rd shift custodial is (along with every trade except electricians) chronically short staffed. Custodial really only has the manpower to do selected areas in the attractions. In reality it would make sense, but beancounters in florida are what they are.

I'm just throwing this out there, but is it really a union issue?

I know the unions are different at Disneyland, and the laws are different in California, so I may be completely off. But at WDW, you cannot assign a custodian to do the job of an engineer because you are effectively taking work away from one union and giving it to another. i.e. a custodian or a housekeeper cannot change a lightbulb because that job "belongs" to engineering.

I'm not sure I buy that this would be an issue simply because of short staffing... or because of Florida management.

Like Joey said, if they were to tack on an extra .50 utility premium, plus whatever DL's third shift premium is, I am SURE they would have no problem finding people to cover.

It still baffles me that the WDW management have such control over DL.

Dude, you're being a worse than normal California Disneyland Fanboy today!! WTF?!?! Here's an idea, they make a lot more money and it's the bigger resort so it has more power. Let it go, it's a theme park!!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong cause I know nothing about the management set up at Disney and just guessing here. But isn't it just "Disney Parks" that controls everything and they just operate out of Florida? It would be like saying SFoT makes the rules for all Six Flags parks, or Cedar Point controls all CF parks. It's just the corporate offices located at/near a flagship park/resort. And as much as DL Fanboys hate it, WDW is much more of the flagship resort for the company.

Or do I have that totally wrong and it really is WDW management making calls for how certain things are done at DL?

Aside from things that have to be different due to state laws and Union contracts, why wouldn't Disney want their operations in sync with each other?

Regarding the custodial thing.

.no way to spin it; it's a waste of a valuable resource.

As for the Florida thing we have alot of strange maintiance directives come from the Florida offices that rarely make sense, like the holiday party being taken away and maintaince procedures that are written for Florida versions of attractions applied to the very different California attractions (our books have a section for tower vehicle motors, when our vehicles are unpowered) that contibute to that at a cast level. As a fan, get over the Florida stuff.

But good news, apparently someone saw this and we got an extra custodial person today. Yet another reason TPR wins

As for the Florida thing we have alot of strange maintiance directives come from the Florida offices that rarely make sense, like the holiday party being taken away and maintaince procedures that are written for Florida versions of attractions applied to the very different California attractions (our books have a section for tower vehicle motors, when our vehicles are unpowered) that contibute to that at a cast level. As a fan, get over the Florida stuff.

But good news, apparently someone saw this and we got an extra custodial person today. Yet another reason TPR wins

The policies and procedures for the employee stuff is all I was talking about. And the tower vehicles are a perfect example. I couldn't care less about guest applications of Florida stuff, 99% of that I'm sure is fine. But other stuff like you mentioned is what I don't get.