TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I wouldn't count on it. Their timescale doesn't seem to be long enough to allow for significant changes to the rock work other than painting. A new layout would require new rockwork.

While I'm sure the ride's rock work won't be changed, they could theoretically add more or change some in such a large time table. By new layout, they mean the track layout is being cloned with the Vekoma system, much like with Space Mountan; it has a nearly identical layout, but has an upgraded capacity, track, cars, and electronics.

We know Disney can move pretty fast with taking stuff out when they want to. Look at the demolition of the Skyride. Literally there one day and completely gone the next. I would not be surprised if we see evidence track removal within a week or two of it closing. Heck, they'll probably take the trains off the track the day after it closes.

Disney didn't just decide last month that they wanted this refurb for Thunder. This has most likely been in the works since the beginning of this year (Or longer). Planning to get materials needed and labor needed were scheduled a long time ago so that everything can take place at a rapid pace once the refurbishment does start.

As Chris said, Disney will hire however many people they need to get the work done in the time allotted.

Well I just mean there is nothing obviously wrong with the track or trains, but clearly the computer system could be better.

How do you know this?!??!

What engineering degree or insider information do you have that the track and trains from 1979 are in perfectly working condition and need no refurb???

Or did you just figure this out from the last ride you took on Big Thunder Mountain?

And please enlighten us everything you know about the computer system and what is wrong with is and why it could be better.

Seriously, do you *HONESTLY BELIEVE* that Disney is going to spend a few million dollars putting work into a ride that has "obviously nothing wrong with it?"

*facepalm*

--Robb "Sorry, posts like these just really frustrate me..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

So Big Thunder Mountain is getting new track. Does this make it a new credit?

I will count it since its still a brand new coaster all together. Its a new track system all together as well.

Please tell me you didn't just say that...

You are aware that your average guest (read: NOT a Disneyland fanboy) that rides Big Thunder Mountain on Jan 6th 2013, and then rides it again on Jan 6th 2014 won't be able tell that anything has changed?

You are aware that if you're going to count the re-tracked Big Thunder Mountain as a new credit, you're going to have to count every wooden roller coasters that you've ever ridden that has been re-tracked as a new credit?

Please don't give Jeff Johnson any ideas to pad his count!

Edited by robbalvey

So Big Thunder Mountain is getting new track. Does this make it a new credit?

I will count it since its still a brand new coaster all together. Its a new track system all together as well.

Please tell me you didn't just say that...

You are aware that your average guest (read: NOT a Disneyland fanboy) that rides Big Thunder Mountain on Jan 6th 2013, and then rides it again on Jan 6th 2014 won't be able tell that anything has changed?

You are aware that if you're going to count the re-tracked Big Thunder Mountain as a new credit, you're going to have to count every wooden roller coasters that you've ever ridden that has been re-tracked as a new credit?

Please don't give Jeff Johnson any ideas to pad his count!

LOL, hear me out on this:

Its not just a re-track. Its a tear out and installing a clone in the same spot. Yes, its a clone and most people may not notice any difference at all, but that doesn't mean its not an entirely new coaster. Its layout and location aren't involved, its the simple fact that an old coaster was removed and a new one is being installed. But this is just my personal justification for counting it.

I also counted Space Mountain a second time because the entire ride and support system was torn out and a new coaster was installed. As well, I did not count the Matterhorn as 2 new ones because that was simply a re-track, not a total removal and rebuild.

I know its a grey area, but we all have our guidelines, haha.

Its not just a re-track. Its a tear out and installing a clone in the same spot. Yes, its a clone and most people may not notice any difference at all, but that doesn't mean its not an entirely new coaster. Its layout and location aren't involved, its the simple fact that an old coaster was removed and a new one is being installed. But this is just my personal justification for counting it.

I also counted Space Mountain a second time because the entire ride and support system was torn out and a new coaster was installed. As well, I did not count the Matterhorn as 2 new ones because that was simply a re-track, not a total removal and rebuild.

I think I just lost all respect for you...wait, did I have any to begin with!!?!?

As any engineer would know, fatigue is the primary reason of failure. With rollercoasters running over and over again throughout the year, material chances of failing due to fatigue increases. Especially with trains having many linkages, they must be properly inspected and replaced. As any microscopic crack in a material can lead to a catastrophic failure.

I think I just lost all respect for you...wait, did I have any to begin with!!?!?

Oh please, you knew I was still a coaster dork. lol.

I really didn't think there could be credit whores out there worse than Jeff Johnson but here come the Disneyland Fanboys to once again make me hang my head in shame!!!

Where is Jeff Johnson!??! Certainly want to hear your take on this!

I really didn't think there could be credit whores out there worse than Jeff Johnson but here come the Disneyland Fanboys to once again make me hang my head in shame!!!

This isn't even remotely close to his insanity!I really am surprised that I'm getting flack for counting a totally new coaster as a new credit..

And this has nothing to do with Disney, if any other park in the world did it, Id count it the same, haha.

As great as HK DL's Thunder Mountain ride is, I like that the different Disney parks have their own versions of this ride. Nothing wrong with DL just doing a refurb if that is what it needs.

LOL at those who are going to count it as a new credit. I mean, each to their own with this but still... I felt dirty when I decided to count both sides of the Matterhorn as separate credits!

This one post has so much truth to it!

I have little respect for Disneyland fanboys as it is...and it just got lower!

This isn't even remotely close to his insanity!I really am surprised that I'm getting flack for counting a totally new coaster as a new credit..

And this has nothing to do with Disney, if any other park in the world did it, Id count it the same, haha.

Is this the level of insanity you meant?

Most coaster count sites consider them different coasters too, that's kind of what made me decide to count them separately. Also, I look at CP with the 2 different Wildcats they've had. People have counted them as different credits regardless if the fact that they are the same layout in the same park, just new a cloned replacement.

It has nothing to do with being a Disneyland Fanboy - though I love how that has for some reason become a derogatory term - it's just people having fun with tracking the rides they've ridden. It's not like one day we'll have a hall of fame of coaster counters that will require an asterisk by people's names who counted clones.