TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^ PhotoPass is free.

Uhh, looking at PhotoPass is free, if you actually want anything from it you have to pay. Thanks for not answering the question. Maybe I should rephrase.

If I select the Unlimited PhotoPass option, would I have to pay the extra $44.95 to include the On-Ride photos? Considering the 'all photo' pass is nearly 100 dollars, it seems stingy to me to add another 50 bucks just for a few on-ride photos. I think making all of these different photo options will get confusing for travelers and make them shy away from it...I would like to have seen the system added to the already existing PhotoPass options, and just let you pay for it/download the on-ride photos at home if you like. Seems a lot less confusing.

Looked into it more. PhotoPass (which is what I thought you were talking about based on your wording) is a complimentary card that just tracks your photos for later purchase should you want to. PhotoPass+ is the pay in advance option where you get digital copies of all the photos taken and attraction photos. Attractions+ is the same as PhotoPass+ but only for ride photos. So if you purchase the PhotoPass+, you would not need to do the extra $45 for Attractions+ as well.

Simple mistake earlier on my part, Hope we are on the same page now.

Indeed, that makes sense if it is all bundled together. I know how PhotoPass works and have used it in the past (usually during the holiday single picture discounts), it just sounded annoying that they are adding yet another way you would have to pay a bunch of money to properly document a vacation

I really love how they are using their twitter feeds, and I'm glad they are continuing to expand upon them. @DCAToday responding to people with their names on a .jpeg of a piston cup if they say they won their race on Radiator Springs Racer is a nice touch. I'm glad Disney is moving into the modern age and using the internet to its full potential...a far cry from just 5-10 years ago when everything was top secret at Disney and barely any websites were on their media list.

Edited by Jew

Why does the ride new new track and trains? I understand the rides system sucks, I've been there when loading took to long and they had to reset the ride, but why cant they just fix that crappy aspect of the ride without changing all the good parts?

Changing all the good parts? The track will follow the same route it always did. It is simply old and needs replacing. Other Arrow Dynamics rides of that era have reached their end of life and been torn down (Big Bad Wolf, Great American Scream Machine), and none of those have seen the sort of 2400 riders-per-hour 365-days-per-year punishment that Big Thunder has.

Why does the ride new new track and trains? I understand the rides system sucks, I've been there when loading took to long and they had to reset the ride, but why cant they just fix that crappy aspect of the ride without changing all the good parts?

Changing all the good parts? The track will follow the same route it always did. It is simply old and needs replacing. Other Arrow Dynamics rides of that era have reached their end of life and been torn down (Big Bad Wolf, Great American Scream Machine), and none of those have seen the sort of 2400 riders-per-hour 365-days-per-year punishment that Big Thunder has.

Sounds to me like they're replacing the old "bad" parts with new "good" parts. I don't understand your question at all.

So Big Thunder Mountain is getting new track and new trains. Same course so basically it is a clone of itself. Does this make it a new credit?

I will count it since its still a brand new coaster all together. Its a new track system all together as well.

Also, with PhotoPass, PhotoPass+, and Attractions+...this is getting a bit out of hand. I don't get why they don't just have a single PhotoPass system with several options that you can add instead of naming separate systems.

Also, with PhotoPass, PhotoPass+, and Attractions+...this is getting a bit out of hand. I don't get why they don't just have a single PhotoPass system with several options that you can add instead of naming separate systems.

Agree. Just keep the name Photopass, and have different packages you can purchase...just like it has always worked.

Agree. Just keep the name Photopass, and have different packages you can purchase...just like it has always worked.

I guess that's what I was trying to say before but couldn't spit it out. They also have Fastpass+ coming out too, all this "+" nonsense is really confusing. It makes me feel that no matter what I do, I'm either getting ripped off or not getting the full product.

Well I just mean there is nothing obviously wrong with the track or trains, but clearly the computer system could be better.

I don't think the Matterhorn has ever had it's track replaced, and that is much older and the first ever steel track coaster. I'm not a mechanic on this ride, so obviously I can't know everything about the wear and tear on the ride, but it just seems like replacing the track is more of a rider experience decision rather than the track approaching its usable life.

I think they will be leaving in the awkward track parts... like the straight piece in the middle of a curve... or the tilting before a drop and whatnot, but no doubt the overall ride will be smoother.

If replacing the track on the Matterhorn were an easy thing to do, I'm sure they would have done that too. I think that was before Disney found that building the track and the mountain as separate structures was a good idea.

^ There is nothing obvious about the condition of the track or train. Matterhorn and BTMR can't really be compared. Matterhorn is a much slower ride with much lighter trains that aren't going to rough up the track nearly as bad. With BTMR you have a ride that is faster and less controlled; Matterhorn does a drop or turn, hits a block, drop or turn, block... where BTMR leaves the lift and coasts full force to the next lift. The trains are bigger, carry more people and that takes a harder toll on the structure and train themselves.

I don't think Disney execs are sitting there saying "Hey, We haven't done much to Big Thunder, let's spend a fortune on replacing the track and trains." I'm sure they know what they are doing and it goes beyond comfort of the rider.

I don't think the Matterhorn has ever had it's track replaced, and that is much older and the first ever steel track coaster.

In addition to what Kevin said, the Matterhorn has gone down for extensive rehabs regularly. It was down for 6 months earlier this year, and you can bet that that involved a lot of track replacement. In addition, it has been down for several weeks of refurbishment every year for as long as I can remember.

I just hope the falling rocks return to the 3rd lift. Know'm sayin?

Which falling rocks? I can remember at least three different falling rocks effects that have been tried on the third lift (rocks on sticks, shaking rocks, projection)

I recall that the Matterhorn was retracked a few years ago, but I might be mistaken. And I agree that Disney wouldn't be paying for new trains and track for Big Thunder just for the hell of it . The ride is following the same course it's always followed, and if new track and trains make for a better experience, I'm all for it.

Imo, if the tracks are all going to be replaced, new trains, etc., they are almost building a new coaster. So why not take the best elements of Grizzly over in Hong King, and incorporate them into a new Big Thunder? Rethink the entire attraction space and not recreate what was there before, but to take it to an unexpected level, even if it meant a 2 yr construction time table.

Well I just mean there is nothing obviously wrong with the track or trains, but clearly the computer system could be better.

I don't think the Matterhorn has ever had it's track replaced, and that is much older and the first ever steel track coaster. I'm not a mechanic on this ride, so obviously I can't know everything about the wear and tear on the ride, but it just seems like replacing the track is more of a rider experience decision rather than the track approaching its usable life.

I think they will be leaving in the awkward track parts... like the straight piece in the middle of a curve... or the tilting before a drop and whatnot, but no doubt the overall ride will be smoother.

If replacing the track on the Matterhorn were an easy thing to do, I'm sure they would have done that too. I think that was before Disney found that building the track and the mountain as separate structures was a good idea.

Some things to also note:

When the Matterhorn was just down and repainted, they replaced all the track in the ride excluding the station stack...because it was old and cracking. And its same thing with thunder. The ride is old, and needs to be updated, plain and simple.

Imo, if the tracks are all going to be replaced, new trains, etc., they are almost building a new coaster. So why not take the best elements of Grizzly over in Hong King, and incorporate them into a new Big Thunder? Rethink the entire attraction space and not recreate what was there before, but to take it to an unexpected level, even if it meant a 2 yr construction time table.

They aren't almost building a new coaster, they ARE building a new coaster. Its close to a 99% replacement (the 1% being the maintenance and storage area) And we might see some new elements added to the ride.

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

I think you answered your own question.

Incorporating bits of the Runaway Mine Cars in Hong Kong (such as the launched section) would be a pretty tall order for the space they have for Big Thunder.

Looks like I will miss it on my first trip to Disneyland in Feb...is it any different from Orlandos?

Disneyland is much better because its in California and its the original and its Walt's vision and its just better...right Robb?

They aren't almost building a new coaster, they ARE building a new coaster. Its close to a 99% replacement (the 1% being the maintenance and storage area) And we might see some new elements added to the ride.

I hope so! With how long this refurb is going to take, it better be something a bit more than just a simple spruce-up.

^LOL, the time table means nothing. If they chose to hire 5000 workers to level the ride and rebuild it in time they could. Or if they chose to hire one guy to simply spray paint 'Walt was here' they could. Point is they can do what ever they want with that long of a time table given the right amount of man power.