TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^I think it is up in the air at this point. Seems like it could be a good idea or a bad idea, which is why they voted to go forward with the EIR.

I'm sure with the premium AP price where it is now, plus the ever rising cost of parking at the resort, there are a ton of people who would take advantage of the street car to save a few bucks on parking. It could also help spread the traffic around, as travelers and convention goers could stay at hotels by the stadium and arena and NOT have to drive/take a cab/take a shuttle to the resort area.

Something else to consider is, if the cost for a family of 4 isn't significantly cheaper then $15 total and that price isn't worth the added travel time and 'possible hassle' of using it then I don't think Disney guests will use it.

Same goes for the convention center. If the cost isnt worth the time and hassel of parking off site, then those people wont use it.

Im sure Walt would approve. I love street cars!

Instead of this,

you get this.

I loved Alexanderplatz! I did almost get hit by a Tram, but that was me being a stupid tourist.

I think it will be a good investment for the future. Looks like the density is increasing in the area, and this can solve the future problem.

Working in San Francisco, the city of street and cable cars, I can say that they really don't cause any more issues than buses. Except with street cars you never have to guess if they are going to switch lanes or pull on and off for stops like a bus would. They really aren't bad at all.

I think it's cool that Anaheim is taking steps to improve transportation around the area, it could really help with people coming from hotels on public transportation rather than just driving over.

^^The two pics you're comparing aren't even on the same level. The bottom pic is a pedestrian only plaza that a street car is running through! lol. I really like them too, I just don't think its the solution to this situation.

^And thing with San Fran is you already have a great public trans system in place, so lots of people don't bring cars. In Anaheim, there isn't one at all but buses, so people will still be in the area with their cars.

^Clearly you haven't spent much time in San Francisco. A ton of people drive into the city, and with the exception of the Street and Cable cars (and sometimes BART) San Francisco has one of the worst public transportation systems in the country. The buses on average are only on time 50% of the time. When I do use public transportation I only do the Street Cars (which only cost $2 for the day) and they are great.

Also Anaheim may set these up like the SF street cars are on the Embarcadero, or San Jose's train system around CGA where they have dedicated lanes down the center of the road where cars can't even drive and thus neither affect one another (like below).

I have been plenty of times. Both driving there and flying/using public transit. When I go and use the public services, I have never had issues but the difference is SF has a huge and interconnected system. The time I've driven, its been very congested and the street cars didn't help, they actually made me nervous. Being a local, I know you have a different perspective on your city's system though. But even if you don't like your system, its still far better then what Anaheim has. All I'm saying is there is tons of traffic in Anaheim as it is, and having a street car there doesn't seem like it'd help because they aren't building a massive system like in SF, Only a single short line.

^Clearly you haven't spent much time in San Francisco. A ton of people drive into the city, and with the exception of the Street and Cable cars (and sometimes BART) San Francisco has one of the worst public transportation systems in the country. The buses on average are only on time 50% of the time. When I do use public transportation I only do the Street Cars (which only cost $2 for the day) and they are great.

Also Anaheim may set these up like the SF street cars are on the Embarcadero, or San Jose's train system around CGA where they have dedicated lanes down the center of the road where cars can't even drive and thus neither affect one another (like below).

I have been to San Francisco a lot as I lived most of my life within an hour from S.F. and I have ridden those street cars many times. Thus, I would 100% approve if Anaheim puts in a system very similar to San Francisco's street car system.

I think the best solution would be a monorail in the center of the street where the islands are already anyway.

All you need to do then is dig footers, pour supports, then hoist and connect prefabricated track. It's out of the way, they're no ugly wires in the air along the entire track, it moves regardless of traffic below, it's quiet, holds more riders, and is clean.

Instead this project is going to take years and the traffic is going to be 10 times worse during construction while they're tearing up the streets and infrastructure from the Honda Center to Disneyland. It's going to cost them more than they estimate and take twice as long. Love the idea of public transportation, but they can be smarter about it. Street cars are a terrible idea in my opinion.

Street Cars have helped virtually every city they have been recently installed in. The Anaheim Resort area is in DESPERATE need of public transportation.

So, that being said, this is a logical choice for the city. I take public transportation down from Los Angeles, and the most annoying part about taking the train is that there is no simple way of getting to the park from the train station. You can take that Resort bus thing that is a ridiculous $6 a day and runs once hourly, you can walk to the OC Transit's bus stop on Katella and get dropped off at Katella and Harbor and walk the 1/2 mile, or you can take a cab. A street car (or anything ticketed and reliable) would be a great solution. I mean, the whole scenario comes off as kind of janky if you ask me, considering the area is supposed to be a 'world class destination.'

I never really understood all of the opposition to rail in SoCal in general. The SD Trolley and the ever-growing LA Metro system are doing wonders for the residents of their cities. For the first time since the 1930's it is becoming possible to live here car free. I am all for rail expansion!!! You see, I don't really care about the 'traffic during construction' when it is being built because I don't plan on being stuck in a car in that traffic in the first place! Besides, the rail is being installed on Harbor. Last time I checked, all lots are accessible by Not-Harbor Blvd, particularly and most obviously Mickey & Friends.

Edited by WFChris

I know Walt had a hard on for monorails, but current designs are very inefficient. Also if it were to break down, you cant just tell people to evacuate lol. Though Im sure an engineer can create solutions for these issues, but that also costs extra.

Would have put Anaheim on the map, alongside Ogdenville, Brockway and North Haverbrook
Took me a second to catch that reference

Heres a picture of the Tram line in Munich.

I love how they designed it, sometimes there are separations between Trams and normal traffic, other times they merge. I missed riding it to class! It sucks we love our cars so much in California!

Once the high speed rail service starts, the line might get a decent amount of travelers. Though that might happen in 5,10, or 20 years! Or might not even be built.

We have an extensive tram/light rail network in Melbourne, it's actually a very efficient way of getting around. And in most instances it doesn't trouble the traffic much (there are a few trouble spots but that is more due to poor planning).

^From an older OC Register article:

A bus line, while less expensive at $53 million, wouldn't compete as well for federal funding or encourage development near the line because the route could change at any time, planners said.

Keep in mind at this point all the city council has approved is funding for the EIR, which will answer a lot of the questions/concerns people have. We're still a LONG ways away from worrying about losing a lane for vehicle traffic.

Portland, Oregon's train system is quite wonderful. If Anaheim can create a form on transportation to shuttle all area guests to facilities of importance (IE, Honda Center/Angels Stadium - Amtrak Station/Convention Centers/Hotels off Harbor/Disneyland) the area would be in good shape.

Just letting everyone know I'll be performing with my school's band this Monday in the 5:20 P.M parade. We're called the Murrieta Valley High School Crimson Cadets and our colors are red and black. If you happen to be in the park, you'll know a fellow TPR member is in the band haha . Looking forward to having a great day Monday.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/11/merchandise-at-disney-california-adventure-park-is-definitely-one-for-the-road/

It’s official…the holidays are in high gear in Disney California Adventure park. Here are a few things that will be popping up in stores over the next couple of months that you should definitely keep on your radar.

First up are a few things to get you in the spirit of the season, from our Welcome to Cars Land – Season’s Speedings billboard collection (which appears on a tee, fleece and postcard) to our Dashing Through the Snow and Happy New Gear tees for kids. Tip: Look for these art images on mugs, too, for those needing a little bit more of a kick start in the morning.

If you like what you’ve seen so far, get ready, because these next items are going to make you stop in your tracks. For you Disney fans who have scoured every inch of Cars Land, you’ve probably noticed the Pixar images of Radiator Springs on the display rack in the Cozy Cone Motel lobby – now look for some of these images on tees, fleece, mugs, key chains, magnets and postcards. And for those of you in the mood to “cozy” up this winter, you have come to the right place: Cozy Cone Motel tees are all the rage, so be sure to pick one up.

Now for those fans with more of a “Go With the Flo” attitude… consider this perfect timing! You’ll find that phrase and others like “Hubba, Hubba, Hubcaps,” “Back To My Routes,” “I’ve Taken A Shine to You” and “Ain’t No Highway Long Enough” on a variety of apparel items including tees, long sleeve shirts and tanks. So fill up! Because Flo and the Motorama Girls are cruising into Radiator Springs Curios and Ramone’s House of Body Art now.

As you race toward the finish line to complete your holiday shopping, make sure that you make one last pit stop at Ramone’s House of Body Art. Why? Because on November 26, you will find an all-new expanded location (in the space known as Lube-O-Rama) with product themed to The Curb Feeler, Sparky’s Spark Plugs, Ornament Valley Oil, The Oil Pan and even more from our Champions Custom Speed Shop collection. Under the Hood Tip: Be on the lookout for specially created collectible signs themed to Greetings From Radiator Springs and Rust-eze.

Have I driven you completely crazy? If not, then you’re bound to speed through the streets for this next set of releases. On December 8, John Lasseter, Chief Creative Officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios and Principal Creative Advisor, Walt Disney Imagineering, will be on hand for a special appearance and signing of a new limited edition figure inspired by the Disney•Pixar “Cars” character, John Lassetire. Joining John for the signing is none other than Chip Foose, owner of Foose Design and star of TV’s “Overhaulin’,” who has created a new line of “Cars”-inspired collectibles, including a Piston Cup, “Cars” hood ornament business card holder, t-shirt, and one of his newest pieces of art, titled “Finns,” depicting Finn McMissile in front of the Cadillac Range. Special Tip: John and Chip will appear from 2-4 p.m. on December 8 at Off the Page in Disney California Adventure park. Check out all of the details at http://www.ArtofDisneyParks.com.

Have you told Santa Claus what you want yet? Time is ticking, so don’t miss out! Santa has taken up residence in Elias & Co., so be sure to add some of these great Cars Land-inspired items to your holiday list.

Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog for more updates on the holiday season at Disney Parks, and join the conversation on Twitter by using the hashtag #DisneyHolidays.

mdc625068LARGE.jpg.57982f567c89b015d680ddbabb39f752.jpg

mdc582420LARGE.jpg.5447fbbff220244bd44df0dd7878ae25.jpg

mdc173626LARGE.jpg.188824dbbabf0a441911a053d9107423.jpg

mdc605615LARGE.jpg.626ae0b92e56409873395d77755e1621.jpg

mdc313429LARGE.jpg.1b54ce6d95ecc5bd371b1ef285d39d22.jpg

mdc762748LARGE.jpg.0b91e68949376c7479722eb9d130b5e4.jpg

mdc457834LARGE.jpg.fdd7bdfa49aad31ec26cadfc7ef80b32.jpg

mdc069718LARGE.jpg.4b2e94a3f1bf765a0289b25fde5e9e2f.jpg

mdc826305LARGE.jpg.fb66801765e9ddd2ff08adb41c220af5.jpg

mdc149573LARGE.jpg.d20b7703223e92fe3ab76f81f49c34cd.jpg

mdc614693LARGE.jpg.6595b2299e9a687e2c4b714203da496e.jpg

I don't really see any benefit coming from them adding a streetcar. Maybe they think if they added it they could get people to park at the Angels stadium.

Really though I've never experienced completely horrid traffic in the Disneyland area. If there ever is it's probably just for certain special events and things, and it would be stupid to put into something like this and spend the cash to run it year round when the true benefit will only come a few times a year.

Every place this thing is supposed to stop, besides out by the stadium, is all right next to each other.

^LOL, I totally saw you and didn't realize.

Haha yeah, once I saw posts from Disneyland on TPR I knew you were there. I should be going back soon over the winter break so maybe I'll run into you again. Overall, it was a great day and marching the parade was very fun.

Disney has officially revealed PhotoPass+, the premium version of its existing PhotoPass offerings at the Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151135190153325

Interested in Disney PhotoPass+? Watch this video to learn more.

You can now order Disney PhotoPass+ before your vacation and save over $50.

For Walt Disney World Resort visit: http://www.disneyphotopass.com/wdwplus

For Disneyland Resort visit: http://www.disneyphotopass.com/dlrplus

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Photopass_plus_khjb[/coastertube]

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Disneyland-Worker-Injured-Space-Mountain-180464081.html

A Disneyland worker was badly injured while he was cleaning the roof of the Space Mountain ride Wednesday morning, firefighters said.

The 37-year-old man suffered a broken leg, a broken clavicle and may have broken ribs, the Orange County Register reported.

Anaheim Fire Marshal Jeff Lutz said his department responded to a call at 7:05 a.m. that a contract worker had slid along the sloped roof of Space Mountain after one of the ropes in his harness apparently came loose.

He apparently slid 20 feet before crashing into a barricade at the bottom of the 45 degree-angled roof.

The incident will be investigated by state workplace safety officials.

Last month, a 68-year-old Disneyland machinist was critically injured when the Space Mountain ride vehicle struck him.