TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

DTD in florid though is giant and has many many food offering across a wide range of coast and options. DTD in Anaheim didn't really have that many quick serve, low cost choices that offered actual meals. La Brea Bakery is the only location that filled that slot.

I don't know what Florid is or a range of coast ieither!

Even though DTD is bigger in FloridA!, In Anaheim you can walk out to Harbor Blvd for plenty of options on food.

Edited by robbalvey

The only sandwich that will get me to wait more than 15 minutes is the Monte Cristo at the Blue Bayou.

The only sandwich that will get me to wait more than 15 minutes is a blowjob.

And with less than eleven hours to go, Wes easily takes the Post Of The Month honors.

dt

DLR easily has some of the best food options I've ever seen at any theme park (I haven't been to WDW so don't get on me about Epcot having better food) so I don't get why EoS was so needed and why it's such a big deal to the extreme fanboys.

I disagree. Most food at DL is hardly at the level of a Chili's or TGIFridays IMO. And this is even with the positive changes they've made in the past year at DCA's restaurants.

If the food was better I don't think EoS would be such a big deal. Personally, I'm happy it's here but I'm not rushing down to eat there anytime soon. We ate at the one in Orlando once and it was good, but not even close to the best sandwich I've ever eaten. It's probably on the level of a Jersey Mike's (IMO). Even the Philly Cheesesteak I had at the Ramada hotel in PHI a few months ago was better than Earl of Sandwich.

My personal favorite sub is at a local place in Woodland Hills called Dan's Super Subs. I try and get there when I'm down that way for work.

DLR easily has some of the best food options I've ever seen at any theme park (I haven't been to WDW so don't get on me about Epcot having better food) so I don't get why EoS was so needed and why it's such a big deal to the extreme fanboys.

I agree.

I'm happy that the park has been updating and improving their food at pretty much all of their restuarants. But I'm not going to pretend like the expensive meal I paid for is hardly at TGI 's level.

I think that's why I'm so curious to try EoS because it seems like a place that will be a bit better than what's in the park. Kind of like how I was excited to eat at the new Paradise Gardens area for the same reasons. Something new, a bit better. Nothing worth 1.5 hours though lol. But I guess I'll see in four weeks

DTD in Florida though is giant and has many many food offering across a wide range of cost and options. DTD in Anaheim didn't really have that many quick serve, low cost choices that offered actual meals. La Brea Bakery is the only location that filled that slot.

Florida's DTD is actually really lacking in quick-service food options, especially for it's overall size. They have Earl, Wolfgang Puck Express, and the chicken place. Aside from that... a few "snack" food stands, pretzel places, etc, but there isn't a lot of offerings if you're looking for a "general, quick-service or fast food meal" at WDW's Downtown Disney.

Taking a quick look over that picture - it looks like the typical food truck crowd out here.

They'll wait two hours because it's cool and new and they can hop onto Facebook and tell their friends how superior they are to them because they tried it first.

I like Earl, I try to hit it up every time I'm in Vegas or DTD Florida or even when they had the shop in Valencia when we used to hit SFMM a few years ago, but I will NOT wait more then 10-15 minutes for it. Sometimes the lines in the existing locations push the limits if it's out the door (except for Valencia which never had a line and I'm guessing is why it closed haha) SO I'm guessing it'll be quite some time before I get a sandwich at this location.

I like Earl, I try to hit it up every time I'm in Vegas or DTD Florida or even when they had the shop in Valencia when we used to hit SFMM a few years ago, but I will NOT wait more then 10-15 minutes for it. Sometimes the lines in the existing locations push the limits if it's out the door (except for Valencia which never had a line and I'm guessing is why it closed haha) SO I'm guessing it'll be quite some time before I get a sandwich at this location.

THANK YOU for confirming that I'm not completely insane by disputing DTD's Earl claim of being "The first Earl of Sandwich in CA" that they're touting. I don't know if the Earl we briefly had here was the first or not, but I know it was there long before this one at Downtown Disney was ever dreamed of. It's weird that they're making this "We're the first!" claim when it's not true on it's face, but maybe they're just thinking nobody remembers there was at least one that was open years ago because nobody ever went to it?

The biggest problem for the Valencia Earl was location. That's probably the worst corner in the entire city to try to start an unknown (to us) franchise on. It's near a school, but far enough away from the school to end up being completely avoided by any students unless they have a car. That, and it's right on the border between the "pretty nice" part of Valencia, and the "Wow this has gone downhill" part of Newhall. It's exact location began life as a Fatburger, and quickly died. If Fatburger can't survive, how did anyone think the unknown Earl of Sandwich was going to make it?

Right now the former Earl is a local business called "Sam's Flaming Grill" and doesn't seem to be doing any better than Earl or Fatburger before it did. But, as a local small business, the owner doesn't have franchise standards to meet or fees to pay, and doesn't need as much business in order to keep the doors open.

Fortunately Downtown Disney is a much more visible location than Orchard & Lyons, and the outside looks very inviting. It'll get a ton of business from Hotel guests, Downtown Disney shoppers, and Disneylanders who hopped the monorail for a break. Downtown Disney, especially that end of it, has needed a quick service place like this for a long time. Earl ought to do quite well. I wouldn't be surprised if another quick service place of some sort showed up in the not too distant future out to take a slice of Earl's success.

Just to update, the line last night when I waled by was only 25-30 minutes total.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/11/creating-holiday-traditions-on-buena-vista-street-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Buena Vista Street is filled with dreams of a bright future for all, and this Yuletide season promises to be even brighter as this happy, bustling community celebrates its first Christmas with joyous new traditions.

Shopkeepers up and down the street have decorated for the holidays, but inside the lavish Elias & Co. department store, they’ve gone all out to create a winter wonderland for the arrival of Santa Claus. Here, wide-eyed children may take a seat alongside the jolly old elf to share with him their fondest wishes for Christmas morning.

Another new idea really struck a chord after a holiday committee meeting of the Buena Vista Street Chamber of Commerce. Wishing to serve their community, eight individuals decided to form a volunteer holiday troupe, calling themselves the Buena Vista Street Community Bell Ringers. Acting as a spirited, traveling “welcome wagon” to anyone visiting this friendly neighborhood, the Bell Ringers take their festive cheer to the street, encouraging others to join in spontaneous ring-along sing-alongs of familiar holiday tunes.

As dusk falls each evening, the Buena Vista Street Community Bell Ringers will gather in Carthay Circle with their fellow Citizens of Buena Vista Street. The sound of bells rings out, and everyone is invited to join together in the lighting of the town’s Christmas tree, wishing goodwill and joy to one and all!

You’re all invited to come join in the merriment, November 12 through January 6, at Disney California Adventure park.

bvh980172SMALL.jpg.4fcce6746d0ef8121b5d28c7b73ba86f.jpg

Just to update, the line last night when I waled by was only 25-30 minutes total.

You waled? HAHA Typos are fun kids! And that may be now, but soon the massive amounts of crowds will descend upon the resort for the "last christmas" and I'm sure the wait times will climb back up the days I'm available to go haha. They should open a Potbelly's in Gardenwalk, I'd be ALL over that in a minute!

I disagree. Most food at DL is hardly at the level of a Chili's or TGIFridays IMO. And this is even with the positive changes they've made in the past year at DCA's restaurants.

If the food was better I don't think EoS would be such a big deal. Personally, I'm happy it's here but I'm not rushing down to eat there anytime soon. We ate at the one in Orlando once and it was good, but not even close to the best sandwich I've ever eaten. It's probably on the level of a Jersey Mike's (IMO). Even the Philly Cheesesteak I had at the Ramada hotel in PHI a few months ago was better than Earl of Sandwich.

My personal favorite sub is at a local place in Woodland Hills called Dan's Super Subs. I try and get there when I'm down that way for work.

The food options at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure are (in my eyes) top tier, at least for a North American theme park setting. Many go on and on about Epcot, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, etc. Epcot (and WDW in general)'s food has gone from great to merely good (thanks in my opinion to the quantity over quality that has resulted from the discounted dining plans).

I mean, just stack Disneyland itself up against Magic Kingdom in Florida. It's like a joke. Even the Buffeterias (Plaza Restaurant's Pot Roast/Fried Chicken) or French Market's many offerings run circles around the nasty crap served at Tony's or Crystal Palace in Florida. You've got far more variety and interesting options for quick service also (i.e. Bengal BBQ). Nothing 4 stars to be sure, but worlds better than Magic Kingdom's burgers/hot dogs/chicken. BOG will go a long way to finally offer something new and different at Magic Kingdom, but given ADRs are sold out until seemingly 2015, good luck eating there unless it is for a quick service lunch.

Can't speak to the new offerings in Carsland at DCA, but I thought the new Boardwalk food court area was an amazing net positive for the park (replacing a crappy McDonald's with decent pizza and great Mediterranean dishes). Also can't speak to Carthay Circle, but I don't think I've heard anyone rip it to shreds.

DHS has the best collection in terms of variety for sit-down restaurants in a North American theme park in my eyes, but like Epcot, quality in general has gone downhill over the past decade or so. DAK, for a park with the shortest hours, actually has what I believe to be the best "moderate" sit down restaurant at WDW- Yak and Yeti (which isn't owned or run by Disney itself).

DHS has the best collection in terms of variety for sit-down restaurants in a North American theme park in my eyes

WHAT.

Brown Derby, Momma Melrose's, Sci-Fi, and Prime Time? I guess Hollywood & Vine if you want to count a buffet?

That's a better variety than Epcot?

I agree that Disneyland's dining trumps Magic Kingdom's dining, but I would stop giving DLR the win after that. WDW as a whole has MUCH better dining than DLR, thanks to Epcot and the huge variety of unique resort dining options.

I hardly think of Hollywood Studios as the dining theme park capital of North America. But I guess that's just me?

DHS has the best collection in terms of variety for sit-down restaurants in a North American theme park in my eyes

WHAT.

Brown Derby, Momma Melrose's, Sci-Fi, and Prime Time? I guess Hollywood & Vine if you want to count a buffet?

That's a better variety than Epcot?

I agree that Disneyland's dining trumps Magic Kingdom's dining, but I would stop giving DLR the win after that. WDW as a whole has MUCH better dining than DLR, thanks to Epcot and the huge variety of unique resort dining options.

I hardly think of Hollywood Studios as the dining theme park capital of North America. But I guess that's just me?

Variety was the wrong word, admittedly. I think I was going more for variety in terms of theme/feel. Each sit-down restaurant has an interesting quirk/theme/general feel (with decent food). Not discussed, but I do think DHS has an underrated collection of quick dining options also. From the pretzel-wrapped sausages at the small boat-themed "diner" to the many great options along Sunset, there is quite a bit to choose from that isn't as bland as Pecos Bill's.

Regarding resort dining, that's where it is at for me. I really enjoy The Wave, Yachtsman, Boma, and Artist Point. But DLR resort dining is no slouch either (especially considering they only have 3 resort hotels). Napa Rose and the DL Hotel Steakhouse are stellar high end options.

Prime Time and Sci-fi are some of the most uniques restaurants. Not the best food, but a lot of fun. MK has always been lacking food wise. I'm really looking forward to eating in the new fantasyland area and see if they have some good choices

I really do like DL food a lot. The churros and Bengal BBQ are all I need for a great day!

Edited by jray21