TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Fantasmic is at 9:00 and 10:30 that night and World of Color is at 9:00 and 10:15. I assume we can't make it to both and not sure we'd want to eat up that time. Which one should we hit, or skip both?

It's relatively easy (and certainly worth your time) to hit both, as long as you plan for park traffic. I'd go to the 9pm WoC and then see Fantasmic at 10:30. But don't go straight to DL after WoC, wait until 10pm so you're not fighting the crowds trying to exit DL.

However if you're arriving later in the day you may end up with Fastpasses for the 10:15 WoC show. In which case it's still possible to see both, just exit DL through Frontierland rather than Adventureland as it's much quicker.

If you really only want to do one I'd recommend Fantasmic (but only just). Both are excellent shows and in my 'don't miss' category of attractions at Disneyland.

I think Indy is closed. Are Muppet Vision and Tough to be a bug different than what's in WDW? We've seen both of those numerous times in WDW and figured time would be better spent on new or different attractions. Don't recall seeing Grizzly, I'll look into it also.

Yes Indy is closed. And I believe Muppets is temporarily replaced by a Frankenweenie show, which might be cool and different. I haven't been to WDW but I imagine It's Tough to be a Bug is probably the same so you could probably skip that one.

Grizzly is easily the best rafting ride I've been on, it also has great capacity so lines are quick (the ride attendants are really on the ball on getting pairs/single riders to 'fill up' the rafts so should be a short wait).

In #1 & #2, you have 4 fast passes on entering parks. Are the 2 parks not linked? I assume showpass is different than fastpass?

DL and DCA are not linked, and there are a couple of rides that operate independently of the FP system as well (Roger Rabbit is one, from rcdude's post it sounds like Screamin' might be another now). And World of Color doesn't count towards your FP limit either. This is where FP is awesome, once you learn how to game the system you can seriously minimise your queuing time.

Good explanation at: http://touringplans.com/disneyland/fastpass

Edited by azza29

^ The parks are not linked. Splash is different but similar(the layout is identical I believe) and as for Fantasmic or WOC I will let somone else answer as I am a fantasmic super fanboy. I will say WOC is more "impressive" visually but if you want the true Disney experience Fantasmic cannot be missed IMO!

What I typically do is hit WOC for the first show then head into DL during the fireworks. Once the fireworks end they clear out the first Fantasmic crowd and start letting the other group 30 mins prior to the show start.

If I had to choose between the two, personally I would go with WOC as it's a little more visually impressive and faster paced. This is also based on the fact that Fantasmic has been around 20 years so it's a little older to me.

On a side note, Roger Rabbit is now on the main FB system so don't count on that not counting when you are trying to double up. I believe at this point, Screamin' is the only one left.

Fantasmic is at 9:00 and 10:30 that night and World of Color is at 9:00 and 10:15. I assume we can't make it to both and not sure we'd want to eat up that time. Which one should we hit, or skip both?

It's relatively easy (and certainly worth your time) to hit both, as long as you plan for park traffic. I'd go to the 9pm WoC and then see Fantasmic at 10:30. But don't go straight to DL after WoC, wait until 10pm so you're not fighting the crowds trying to exit DL.

To piggyback off this, when I was there in August we were able to catch the 9:00 Fantasmic show, catch pieces of the fireworks on our way down Main Street, and make it to the 10:15 World of Color show by quarter of. You shouldn't even need a Fastpass to get into the 10:15 WoC show either. If you do go the other way (WoC to Fantasmic), the 9pm show doesn't work through its Fastpasses until well into the afternoon so you shouldn't have much of a problem there at all.

Also, if you don't get there until noon, I wouldn't waste your time trying to get a Racers Fastpass - they've been gone by 10am about every day since the ride opened. Single rider might be your best bet for getting that done. The other rides in DCA (minus Luigi's and Mater's) will be pretty easy to get done, so I would definitely add the park on to your day!

I think most of this has been answered by now, but anyway...

I think Indy is closed. Are Muppet Vision and Tough to be a bug different than what's in WDW? We've seen both of those numerous times in WDW and figured time would be better spent on new or different attractions. Don't recall seeing Grizzly, I'll look into it also.

Indy is closed. MuppetVision is currently showing the Frankenweenie preview, which is just the trailer plus the resurrection scene with 4-D effects added. If you're interested in seeing the movie, it might be worth checking out, but don't bother unless you're waiting for a Fastpass return time. To my knowledge, It's Tough to Be a Bug is the same movie at both locations (although I haven't been to WDW so I could be wrong). Grizzly River Run is a really good rapids ride, but you will likely get fairly wet so don't ride if you don't like wetness.

In #1 & #2, you have 4 fast passes on entering parks. Are the 2 parks not linked? I assume showpass is different than fastpass?

You may hold one Fastpass per park at a time. A World of Color Showpass does not count as a Fastpass. On my last visit, I discovered that California Screamin' is not linked to the system, and you may have a Fastpass for that and another DCA ride at the same time. Also, remember that return windows are not enforced at the Disneyland Resort like they now are at WDW.

My thought is to skip any "doubles" that aren't main attractions (mountains, pirates, etc). We can even skip Splash if it's the same as my wife doesn't really like water rides. If the Monorail is 20 minutes, we'll probably skip it unless we are doing great on time. I should also mention I don't do spinning rides. Not sure if it applies other than the tea cups, but I don't do well on those.

To my knowledge, Splash Mountain is the same general storyline as the Florida version but the scenes are different. The ride is more of a traditional log flume with a faster current and inline seating as opposed to the hybrid flume/dark ride version in Florida. I've heard you don't get wet on Magic Kingdom's version, but you'll definitely get wet on Disneyland's (especially if the log is fully loaded). As for duplicate rides, I believe most attractions are similar but not identical between the two parks. In a majority of cases, the Disneyland one is the original version. I don't think any of the non-headliner duplicates are different enough to be worth bothering with, but this would be better answered by someone who has actually been on both versions.

For spinning, you'll find several rides in DCA that either have rotating vehicles or circular motion. With the possible exception of Toy Story Midway Mania (which I believe is the same as the WDW version), these are not worth bothering with if you only have one day. At Disneyland, only the Mad Tea Party and Roger Rabbit feature spinning (other than flying in a circle such as Dumbo). If you want to do Roger Rabbit (recommended since it doesn't exist in Florida) but don't want to spin, just hold the steering wheel steady for the duration of the ride. Even if you do choose to spin it, the rotation is a lot slower than the tea cups.

You can do both, but since you only have one day I'd say pick one or the other. The choice is really up to you. Personally, I'd pick Fantasmic because 1. you'll likely already be in Disneyland, 2. everything in World of Color is in Fantasmic, just in a smaller form, 3. Fantasmic is shorter, and 4. it's easy to arrive at Fantasmic 10 minutes before and get a great viewing spot (especially for the second show). While there are major differences, Fantasmic exists at WDW and that may be enough of a reason to see World of Color instead. Personally, I found World of Color to be an overly long fountain show that was visually impressive but got boring after ten minutes, but I know people who see it every time they visit because they love it so much. If you want to see World of Color, get a Showpass or arrive at least 30 minutes before to get a good viewing spot.

I'll add my comments, as a huge Disney lover.

First up, imho, there is no comparison, choose Fantasmic over WoC. Yes, it's very similar to the Studios version, but it's still awesome. World of Color really disappointed me, although I only saw it from the GC private viewing balcony, and couldn't see the video on teh fountains. But, that made it obvious that the show is really pretty lame. It is a bunch of Disney videos on water screens with booming music, some color changing lights, and a bunch of little fountains. Add in some flames in a couple of scenes and THAT IS IT! No pyrotechnics at all! Plus, you have to stand while you are waiting and waching the show. NO SITTING!

As for rides, Nightmare Mansion is an absolute must, as is Mummy Space Mountain. All the Fantasland rides are must sees except Peter Pan, which is identical, and IASW which is abysmal, unless you're into that sort of thing. The Pooh ride at DL is different, but pathetically bad. There is nothing in it that isn't in the superior WDW version, although it is usually an easy walkon after riding Splash.Speaking of SPlash, it is similar, but pretty different. MUCH more fast paced, and differnt scenes. I love the prelift music, very dark and forboding. Roger Rabbit is awesome, but a pain to go back to get a FP for and then return. Try and hit it late in teh day, but remember that Toontown closes early.

Buzz is quite a bit different, and Nemo is cute, but another huge time sink, and really the same overlay from Epcot, just in the old subs ride.

And don't forget the two Matterhorn tracks are quite different. I defintely prefer the Fantasyland side.

Pirates is skipable, imho. Yes, it has the long opening, which sets a mood, but is pretty uneventful. It has a second drop, and slightly different scenes. But, It takes at least 30 minutes to ride, even with no line. That may not be time well spent for you.

ITTBAB and Muppets are near clones, and definitely not worth the time. The only neat thing is the entrance to ITTBAB is essentially the main ant lair from the movie. You may want to drop in teh Animation building to see the Toy Story Zoetrope in action. Essentially a disc of statues that spins, and when a strobe light comes on, seems to come to life. VERY neat, and I've never seen it in person, only on Youtube.

Tower is bad Tower, and totally skipable, imho. Its a bastardized version of the Studios version with a lame video effect added in instead of teh 4-D room. And the wait time advertised is for the foyer, NOT the basement.

-R

It sounds like I'll try to get showpasses for the 9:00 WOC, but may skip it if time is an issue. We will definitely hit Fantasmic as it's our favorite "show" of WDW and I want to see the dragon.

Grizzly will most likely be skipped due to being in DCA first. Being a water ride, I know my wife won't want to walk the rest of the day wet. I've read it's similar to Kali River Rapids and you definitely get soaked on it.

I'm good with spinning like TSM or Dumbo. It's fast spinning like tea cups and dinowhirl that get me. I'll try to hit Roger Rabbit from the description.

It sounds like we'll be skipping:

Tea Cups

Dumbo

Muppet Vision (not a fan of Burton or the Frankenweenie previews)

It's Tough to Be a Bug

Grizzly River Run

Tower of Terror

Tiki Room

Peter Pan

Snow White

As for things on our definite list:

Space Mountain

Thunder Mountain

Splash Mountain

Haunted Mansion

Its a Small World

Winnie the Pooh

Matterhorn

Mr Toad

Pinnochio

Pirates

California Screamin'

Roger Rabbit

The Little Mermaid

Mater

Radiator Springs

Soarin

Alice in Wonderland?

We'll hit these if there is time:

Star Tours?

Buzz? No line if it's different

Monorail?

Nemo?

Toy Story?

Anything I'm missing?

Also, we'll be staying at the Fairfield Inn. No specific reason other than it looked walkable so we can check in and just walk to the park entrance. If there's a better tactic, I'm all ears.

Don't skip Tower of Terror! Is it as good as the one in Orlando? No, but its by no means a bad ride.

Plus the line rarely gets over 45mins, even on the most busy days.

If you are going to skip any ride it should be Pooh, that ride is HORRIBLE!

Also, don't forget Monster Inc ride at DCA. If you like the Fantasyland style dark rides you will love this one. It has a few neat effects and rarely has a wait over 15mins.

It sounds like we'll be skipping:

Tea Cups

Dumbo

Muppet Vision (not a fan of Burton or the Frankenweenie previews)

It's Tough to Be a Bug

Grizzly River Run

Tower of Terror

Tiki Room

Peter Pan

Snow White

As for things on our definite list:

Space Mountain

Thunder Mountain

Splash Mountain

Haunted Mansion

Its a Small World

Winnie the Pooh

Matterhorn

Mr Toad

Pinnochio

Pirates

California Screamin'

Roger Rabbit

The Little Mermaid

Mater

Radiator Springs

Soarin

Alice in Wonderland?

We'll hit these if there is time:

Star Tours?

Buzz? No line if it's different

Monorail?

Nemo?

Toy Story?

Anything I'm missing?

That looks like a pretty good list for a one day limited time visit. The only changes I would suggest are 1. Move Tower of Terror to either the must ride or time permitting list (unless you don't do drop towers) as it is still a great ride even if it doesn't quite live up to the Florida version, and 2. Move Winnie the Pooh to the skip list as most consider it the worst dark ride at the resort. You should have enough time to complete this list as long as you utilize Fastpass and try to avoid excessive backtracking.

If you want to save as much time as possible, I HIGHLY suggest you taking advantage of the Single Rider lines. Aside from Racers, you will most likely wait less than 10 mins using them.

Single Rider Lines:

Disneyland Park:

Splash Mountian

Matterhorn

Disney California Adventure:

Soarin

Grizzly River Run

Sky School

California Screamin

Radiator Springs Racers

ToT should have been in the maybe section and probably moved to the must do when my wife gets the list. It was more of a time thing for me. I added Pooh because it's our 4 year old favorite ride, so we normally ride it 20 times in WDW. I thought Monster Inc was a photo op for some reason, I'll add it. We'll use singler rider as much as possible.

I thought Monster Inc was a photo op for some reason, I'll add it.

For some reason the show building has an enormous switchback queue out the front but don't let that scare you, probably a 10 minute wait on a bad day.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/investor-group-to-purchase-high-profile-anaheim-gardenwalk-172449821.html

Arcturus Group ("Arcturus") and Avenue Capital Management ("Avenue") today announced that an investor group they have formed has completed the purchase of Anaheim GardenWalk ("GardenWalk"), a retail lifestyle center located just steps from the main entrance to Disneyland Resort and the Anaheim Convention Center. The terms of the GardenWalk acquisition, in which Arcturus and Avenue have been joined by Elliott Management, were not disclosed.

Arcturus and Avenue sourced and structured the Anaheim GardenWalk investment opportunity and will execute a new strategic business plan. They intend to thoroughly revamp operations and marketing, and complete an aggressive re-positioning plan and lease-up. Arcturus will oversee day-to-day property management and business plan initiatives. Bruce Macleod, Head of the Retail Group at Arcturus, will direct retail strategy and, along with James Selonick of Arcturus, manage operations.

GardenWalk is a 450,000-square-foot open-air retail center featuring shops and entertainment venues such as 300, a themed bowling alley, and UltraLuxe Cinemas, along with numerous major national restaurants, including The Cheesecake Factory, P.F. Chang's, California Pizza Kitchen, McCormick & Schmick's, Roy's Hawaiian Fusion and Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

The lavishly constructed trophy property was developed and opened prior to the economic downturn in 2008. Because of the challenging economic times, the property subsequently turned financially and operationally distressed and soon after went through foreclosure proceedings in 2010. As a result, GardenWalk never achieved momentum and has remained approximately 50% occupied over the past two years.

"The recent rezoning allowing more entertainment tenancy at the property creates enormous potential for GardenWalk as an entertainment-oriented retail destination given its design and location. Our group intends to unlock the potential of this magnificent, but previously financially challenged, asset by capitalizing on its proximity to the 20 million annual visitors to Disneyland, which recently invested over $1 billion on a major expansion, 15,000 hotel rooms, and the largest convention center on the West Coast," said Jonathan Mayblum, co-founder of Arcturus.

"The new ownership group possesses the operational expertise and has plenty of capital budgeted for tenant improvements and leasing commissions, as well as several strategic capital improvement projects. This will be a real win-win for the investors, the tenants, the visitors to the area, and the City of Anaheim," added Arcturus co-founder Matthew Stroyman.

About Arcturus Group

Arcturus Group, co-founded by Jonathan Mayblum and Matthew Stroyman, is a real estate advisory and asset management firm that provides stakeholders (e.g. investment firms, banks, private owners, creditor committees, special servicers, etc.) with strategic advice, and expertise in operations, corporate management and debt restructuring. Arcturus seeks to resolve complicated issues and maximize asset performance and value on behalf of its clients. A major distinguishing factor of the firm is the experience of the senior executives who lead its Hotel & Resort, Office, Retail, Multifamily and Single-family/Land groups; all have 25+ years' experience and were formerly President, CEO or COO of operating companies in their respective asset class. Arcturus brings a principal's perspective to all of its assignments and works with clients by (i) analyzing investments, (ii) developing business strategies, (iii) managing operational and personnel issues, and (iv) executing property, portfolio and loan repositioning strategies to maximize investment returns.

About Avenue Capital Group

Avenue Capital Group is a global investment firm focused on undervalued opportunities in the private and public debt, equity and real estate markets in the U.S., Europe and Asia. Avenue manages assets estimated to be approximately $12.5 billion as of July 31, 2012. The Avenue Real Estate Strategy applies a distressed-focused approach to target situations that it believes can maximize risk-adjusted returns.

About Elliott

Elliott is a multi-strategy hedge fund founded in 1977 with approx $20 billion under management today. Through offices in New York, London, Hong Kong, and Tokyo, the firm has major investment interests around the world, and pursues a diversified investment and trading program, including distressed securities, a broad range of arbitrage activities, and direct investments including real estate and operating companies.

Splash Mountain usually gets a sizable rehab every winter after the holiday season. It is getting towards the end of that cycle, though I feel like MiceAge could be over-exaggerating the "deterioration."

Very interesting to hear about GardenWalk as from my experience in visiting, it has been pretty difficult to get retail stores to buy rental space at that center (which IMO is still nice and pretty new quality). It will be interesting to see if these new investors can get companies to lease space, or even better get some bigger companies to move in and attract more traffic.

Also wasn't it rumored for a while that Disney was going to do something "resort-y" with that space?

I read on MIceChat the other day that Splash Mountain was decaying pretty bad such as defunct AA's and rotting props in the ride has anyone been there recently to see how bad the AA's are or how bad the rotting props are?

I go to the park once a month, sometimes more, and Splash Mountain is usually a ride I stop by for a ride. I would say this is classic MiceChat over-dramatics as even I (a frequent visitor) have found it hard to see animatronics not working, or props as you they describe "decaying." Unless you get on the ride a few times in a row and try to eyeball EVERY SINGLE problem, which no average guest does. You got to be careful around that site, they can really ruin what still happens to be a very nicely run resort with very nice rides.

Very interesting to hear about GardenWalk as from my experience in visiting, it has been pretty difficult to get retail stores to buy rental space at that center (which IMO is still nice and pretty new quality). It will be interesting to see if these new investors can get companies to lease space, or even better get some bigger companies to move in and attract more traffic.

Also wasn't it rumored for a while that Disney was going to do something "resort-y" with that space?

I read on MIceChat the other day that Splash Mountain was decaying pretty bad such as defunct AA's and rotting props in the ride has anyone been there recently to see how bad the AA's are or how bad the rotting props are?

I go to the park once a month, sometimes more, and Splash Mountain is usually a ride I stop by for a ride. I would say this is classic MiceChat over-dramatics as even I (a frequent visitor) have found it hard to see animatronics not working, or props as you they describe "decaying." Unless you get on the ride a few times in a row and try to eyeball EVERY SINGLE problem, which no average guest does. You got to be careful around that site, they can really ruin what still happens to be a very nicely run resort with very nice rides.

Thanks man that really helps out alot. I would go and check it out myself, but my Delux Season pass expired and with the prices of admission growing higher, I don't see myself re-newing it anytime soon . So i take it MiceChat isn't a good source for park info

So i take it MiceChat isn't a good source for park info

It's not a bad source of info, they are just a bit overzealous in their reporting. Very hardcore fanboys, if you will. This week's update includes a comparison of how the temporary streetlamp poles (to hold holiday decorations) in Cars Land are fixed to the ground as distinct from the permanent ones. Thrilling stuff.

I was there last week and happy to see the vulture anamatronics before the final lift working...they haven't been operating all year.

Also regarding those huge advice posts, another tip:

Roger Rabbit & California Screamin' are not currently 'linked' to the system. What this means is you can pick up a Fastpass for either of those attractions within the waiting period of a previous Fastpass. Good to know if you are doing the rush-around thing.

I'm heading to DLR for 1 1/2 weekend days, and it will likely be crowded. We'll have 2-day park hoppers, and we'd like to ride the following:

-Cars Land stuff

-Roller coasters excluding GSS and GGC

-Star Tours II

-Toy Story Midway Mania

-ToT?

-Autopia?

-New Orleans Square dark rides

Do you have any tips or an itinerary? Also, is Redd Rockett's Pizza Port back open? We always stop there

Thanks for your time.

So i take it MiceChat isn't a good source for park info

It's not a bad source of info, they are just a bit overzealous in their reporting. Very hardcore fanboys, if you will. This week's update includes a comparison of how the temporary streetlamp poles (to hold holiday decorations) in Cars Land are fixed to the ground as distinct from the permanent ones. Thrilling stuff.

I agree with this. They provide some pretty decent and often accurate information, but you have to filter the overreactions they have to little things. I've seen people make claims that Mermaid ruined the look of the park because it wasn't perfectly centered (off about a foot or 2) and that "Mad T Party" was using code to promote drug use. They also like to get upset at little things like an anamatronic or 2 out of whack on a ride (see Splash Mountain). Other than those annoyances to people like me who accept that Disneyland is a theme park and sometimes things break, they are a pretty decent Disney site.

Over to the Gardenwalk talk. I'm curious if Disney not buying it tells us something about their interest in expanding the resort that way. Could this mean they aren't looking to build the rumored 3rd park anytime soon? Or maybe they just didn't want to take the loss over the next 5+ years before a new park/hotels are built and there is still limited interest in the center. I hope the new investor can turn it around. I think it's a great center, but I don't find myself drawn over to it often.

This is just pure speculation on my part, but my guess would be that Disney still has GardenWalk in their plans. Perhaps the investors take the financial risk and down the line Disney licenses the brand and operates for them?

Thanks man that really helps out alot. I would go and check it out myself, but my Delux Season pass expired and with the prices of admission growing higher, I don't see myself re-newing it anytime soon . So i take it MiceChat isn't a good source for park info

When I rode (about 3 months ago) I noticed a bunch animatronics not working. It was pretty bad.

- All Bee Hives did not spin

- Both Brer Bear scenes had no movement (the bear taint scene, and the one where Brer Fox is pushing his butt)

- Brer Rabbit stuck in the BeeHive/honey did not move

- The animals on the railroad Handcar overhead was broken

- One buzzard at the laughing place scene was removed and being repaired, while the remaining one was out of sync

- Handful of non-functioning animatronics in the finale (zipadeedoodah)

Also, is Redd Rockett's Pizza Port back open? We always stop there

Redd's is back open, but if you haven't been to the Hungry Bear since they redid the menu last year, I would highly suggest giving it a try. The Fried Green Tomatoes sandwich is the best sandwich I've ever had in Disneyland, and I don't even like tomatoes that much. The chili burger is also a major step above the typical theme park burger.