TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^The boats can be derailed by the wake if not fully loaded and going fast before stopping.

This incident in question actually did happen (though the lawsuit appears to be BS based on this witness account):

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2010/02/09/what-happens-when-things-actually-do-sort-of-kind-of-go-horribly-wrong-at-a-disney-theme-park.aspx#.UFDgEmjSLpg

^The boats can be derailed by the wake if not fully loaded and going fast before stopping.

This incident in question actually did happen (though the lawsuit appears to be BS based on this witness account):

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2010/02/09/what-happens-when-things-actually-do-sort-of-kind-of-go-horribly-wrong-at-a-disney-theme-park.aspx#.UFDgEmjSLpg

Someone thinking they have a quick way to $$$

Very interesting read, I didn't even know it was possible for the boats to jump the track.

I was on a Jungle Cruise boat that jumped the rail back in the late 80s. It only took a few minutes of fishing around under the boat to get it back on the rail. They lifted up the cover over the center part near the engine to get down into the water from there. A friend and I actually assisted. It was pretty fun. They gave everyone on the boat exit passes due to the minor delay. We used them on Space Mountain since it had an insane line and FastPasses were yet to be thought of.

That was a very interesting read! I guess it's something I have never really thought of despite having ridden the ride probably about a hundred times over the course of my life. I feel kind of bad for Disney though... I know they have awesome lawyers and rarely lose cases, but everyone always seems to try to sue the mouse for a quick buck when no one was really injured or did anything wrong.

Also on a side note that hippo animatronic is awesome! It's funny how simple it looks(and probably is) but I love the way it works and how realistic it looks clse up. Best of all it is perfectly safe at the moment cause it is unable to wiggle it's ears and certainly can't blow bubbles cause there is no water... lol. That joke was like the natives spears... it went right over your heads.

Went to the park today and the crowd wasn't bad but it was more crowded than I would have thought. We were able to get on pretty much all the major rides at both parks.

It was my first time riding ghost galaxy and while it was cool it really is a minor change.

Racers is fun and I made it on it 4 times. Single rider is the best. It's pretty much exactly what it appears to be from the videos and pictures. One thing I did dislike is the windshield. I found myself trying to look around it most of the time. Being someone that normally wears glasses, I found it to be like looking through dirty smudged up lenses. I'm sure the Test Track windows were the same in that regard but there isn't necessarily anything worth looking at on that ride. About the thrill factor, I actually found it more thrilling than Test Tack. Yes it goes slower, but it has some floater air that Test Track doesn't. The inside line on the banked turns also has a little dip that is kinda fun. After closing... or around closing it broke down and half of the people I went with were stuck on it. We split up because they wanted to watch World of Color and we went on Tower of Terror. While waiting for them to get off the ride, a nice man gave us his "Magical Yellow Cut the Line" piece of paper he got from the ride breaking apparently down earlier. We were able to go up the exit and they let us right into the line at the merge point. It was probably a half hour after park closing before it got going, and there was plenty of people still in line. Didn't go on either of the other Cars rides, but Luigi's looked just as boring as everyone says it is. The line for it was about 60 minutes when we went to look at it, and there was 3 or more empty vehicles, not sure what that was about because they seemed to be floating around just as well as the ones with people in them trying to make them do something.

What was funny is that when I was waiting in the single rider for soaring the op counted wrong and when I went inside I didn't have a seat, so I had to go back out. Then I was standing in the pre show staging area all by myself for a while and then Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters and his family walk in through some other entrance. So that was cool but my group ended up getting split up over 3 shows and that kinda sucked.

Here is the ride count for the day.

Racers x4

Screamin x2

Tower of Terror x3

Soarin

Mermaid

Toy Story

Star Tours

Matterhorn x2

Pirates

Haunted Mansion

Splash

Space

Buzz

Big Thunder

d3.thumb.jpg.c96cd57d059bcf7a068cfe900a2ffa0c.jpg

Didn't get a photo with Dave Grohl in line, but I got a creepy over the shoulder shot of him doing what all cool people do, stare at their phone.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/09/wreck-it-ralph-characters-are-coming-to-disney-parks-this-november/

I’m excited to tell you Wreck-It Ralph and Vanellope Von Schweetz, two of the main characters from Disney’s newest animated adventure comedy “Wreck-It Ralph,” will soon be making their debut at Disney Parks.

My family and I can’t wait to see “Wreck-It Ralph.” In the movie, video game “bad guy” Ralph is tired of being overshadowed by Fix-It Felix, the “good guy” star of their game who always gets to save the day. Ralph takes matters into his own massive hands and sets off on an adventure across the arcade, with potentially disastrous results! Along the way, he runs into feisty misfit Vanellope VonSchweetz from the candy-coated cart racing game, “Sugar Rush,” and the unlikely duo must team up to try and save the day.

“Wreck-It Ralph” is going to be great, and meeting Ralph and Vanellope in the parks will be just as fun. At The Magic of Disney Animation attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, you’ll step through Game Central Station, catching glimpses of the various game worlds from the film on your way to “Sugar Rush,” where Vanellope and Ralph are waiting to meet you at the finish line.

At Disneyland park, the arcade world of “Wreck-It Ralph” comes to life within the Tomorrowland Starcade. When Ralph and Vanellope are there, you’ll have an opportunity to meet them at the portal to “Sugar Rush” and can even play a round on the classic arcade game “Fix-It Felix, Jr.”

Look for each of these experiences to open this November, and be sure to catch “Wreck-It Ralph” in theaters November 2 in 3D!

rap231338LARGE.jpg.7efbb6cf8be6585fb74f5f4d4bb387e6.jpg

cen234320LARGE.jpg.e1ca2c5b852a83ee58bfdaa30d3a7668.jpg

sta234877LARGE.jpg.3a51324ed165a046c31b606f63039abc.jpg

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/09/guests-can-now-meet-tinker-bells-sister-periwinkle-at-disneyland-and-magic-kingdom-parks/

Tinker Bell’s newly discovered sister, Periwinkle, is the newest fairy friend to meet guests at Disney Parks. Introduced in the upcoming film “Secret of the Wings,” the “frost fairy” Periwinkle is intrigued by the other seasons once she meets a warm fairy (her sis Tinker Bell), and she becomes eager to make new friends beyond the Winter Woods.

The newest Disney Fairies movie, “Secret of the Wings,” comes to Blu-ray and DVD October 23.

Scheduled for appearances during the fall and winter months, Periwinkle joins Tinker Bell at Pixie Hollow at Disneyland park and inside Tinker Bell’s Magical Nook at Magic Kingdom Park. (Be sure to check the Times Guide when you visit for the current schedule.)

And while you’re visiting their magical home, be on the lookout — when Tinker Bell and Periwinkle get close to each other, their fairy wings illuminate in magical fashion.

In addition to Periwinkle’s sparkling winter-wear, Tinker Bell dons new cozy clothes to welcome guests for these special meet-and-greet opportunities.

ffp190353LARGE.jpg.c5833daae303035192515104dfd42547.jpg

ffp289364LARGE.jpg.1a9e60d2c97b6df6236a86ccd7df3b35.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Now that it's closer, I have more information on our visit so hopefully get some more insight. We are flying in on Sunday Oct 7th and should be able to get to the park by noon. Disneyland is open until midnight and DCA is open until 11pm. Is it too extreme to try and hit both parks? I don't know anything about crowd levels for either park during this time of year or on Sundays. Being a "WDW expert", it makes me nervous to know little or nothing about these parks. Should we attempt both parks or just stick with DL? Is there a strategy you'd recommend on when to go where and how?

Rides we'd want to hit at Disneyland:

Pirates of the Caribbean

Haunted Mansion

Space Mountain

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

Splash Mountain

Matterhorn Bobsleds

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

"it's a small world"

Alice in Wonderland

monorail

jungle cruise

Mr Toad

Pinocchio

I think the rest are the same as the WDW rides. If there's any I missed, or any I should skip, please let me know.

If we go to both parks, we'd want to hit these in DCA:

California Screamin'

Mermaid

Radiator Springs

Soarin' (think it's the same as EPCOT, but my wife's favorite ride)

^ Check out touringplans.com to find out about crowd levels. You might be able to do both parks in one day (just) with a bit of back-and-forthing.

If I only had one day I'd also pick the following attractions:

- Indiana Jones

- Grizzly River Run

- Muppet Vision 3D

- It's Tough to be a Bug!

Skip Nemo (wait is horrendous for a very average ride), Monorail (waste of time), and Small World (very, very overrated).

In terms of an attack strategy, I'd suggest hitting up California Adventure first, go straight to Radiator Springs Racers and see if you can get a fastpass (FP). If not go grab one from California Screamin', then go Little Mermaid and It's Tough to be a Bug!, once you're done there your FP for Screamin' should be ready. Hit up Muppets and Soarin', then go to Grizzly River Run and pick up your World of Color FP before heading over to Disneyland.

At Disneyland, make a beeline for Space Mountain and grab a FP, then go over to Pirates, then Splash Mountain. Once you've done those two you should be able to get another FP, so go pick one up for Indy, then visit the Haunted Mansion. Go ride Space Mountain with your FP, then Jungle Cruise (best at night!), then Indy.

Pinocchio, Mr Toad, Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn usually have very short waits in the evening so do those last. Then go back to California Adventure and watch World of Color (assuming your FP lets you in on the first viewing, otherwise do this last), then line up for Racers.

If you don't want to remember all of the above just try to use FP to your advantage. The optimal process is as follows:

- grab FP for attraction 1

- do a low-wait ride or show

- grab FP for attraction 2

- use FP on attraction 1

- rinse and repeat

Hope this helps

^Keep in mind that Indy is closed until December and both MuppetVision and It's Tough to Be a Bug exist at WDW (and therefore aren't worth doing if you visit WDW regularly).

Now that it's closer, I have more information on our visit so hopefully get some more insight. We are flying in on Sunday Oct 7th and should be able to get to the park by noon. Disneyland is open until midnight and DCA is open until 11pm. Is it too extreme to try and hit both parks? I don't know anything about crowd levels for either park during this time of year or on Sundays. Being a "WDW expert", it makes me nervous to know little or nothing about these parks. Should we attempt both parks or just stick with DL? Is there a strategy you'd recommend on when to go where and how?

Rides we'd want to hit at Disneyland:

Pirates of the Caribbean

Haunted Mansion

Space Mountain

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

Splash Mountain

Matterhorn Bobsleds

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

"it's a small world"

Alice in Wonderland

monorail

jungle cruise

Mr Toad

Pinocchio

I think the rest are the same as the WDW rides. If there's any I missed, or any I should skip, please let me know.

If we go to both parks, we'd want to hit these in DCA:

California Screamin'

Mermaid

Radiator Springs

Soarin' (think it's the same as EPCOT, but my wife's favorite ride)

It's been a while since I've been to the parks on a Sunday, but my guess is you'd probably be able to get everything on your lists done (or close to it) in the amount of time you have. The parks will be busy until around dinner time, but late at night people will have cleared out somewhat. Most visitors to the Disneyland Resort are Annual Passholders, and on Sundays families tend to visit then leave due to school/work the next day.

If you want to do both parks, here is what I would recommend:

1. Upon arrival, enter Disneyland. Get a Fastpass for Space Mountain, as the Ghost Galaxy overlay is very popular. Then head to DCA.

2. Do not attempt to get a Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers, as they will be long gone (they usually run out within an hour of opening). Instead, head to Soarin' and get a Fastpass. If you want to see World of Color, check by Grizzly River Run to see if Showpasses are still available, and get them if they are. Then, go to California Screamin' and get a Fastpass (your Soarin' tickets will say you can't, but when I visited this week it worked and I've heard California Screamin' has been removed from the loop). While waiting, do any of the following:

-Goofy's Sky School (mainly if you want the credit...there's a single rider line that usually gets you on within 15 minutes)

-Grizzly River Run (the line for this will probably be long, but it also has a fast moving single rider line)

-Little Mermaid (never has a significant line)

-Toy Story Midway Mania (it usually has a bit of a line, so if you've been on it in Florida it might not be worth it)

-Paradise Pier flat rides (these are mainly time-killers if you've already done the above)

3. After your ride on California Screamin', head to Cars Land and ride Radiator Springs Racers using the single rider line (should be 30 minutes or so). You may also want to do Mater's Junkyard Jamboree if the line is short, as that ride is better than it appears. Skip Luigi's Flying Tires.

4. If you still have time before your Soarin' Fastpasses are good, go ride Tower of Terror or occupy yourself in some other way. As soon as you can, ride Soarin', then head to Disneyland.

5. Get a Fastpass for one of the rides you want to do at Disneyland as soon as you enter, then make your way around the park. The order you visit rides in won't matter too much, but here are a few general strategies:

-Ride the Fantasyland dark rides (Alice, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, and small world from your list) during the parade, or wait until after the fireworks. Note that the first three close during the fireworks, but they will reopen a short while after.

-Matterhorn Bobsleds has a single rider line, which will save you time if you don't mind splitting up and/or you want to ride both tracks (they will usually let you request a side even with Single Rider).

-Pirates and Jungle Cruise rarely get long lines, so you can do those whenever.

-Since Haunted Mansion gets a bit of a line during the Holiday overlay, Fastpass may be a good idea. Even without it, the line likely won't be more than 30 minutes, and if you wait until later it may be a walk on.

-Ride Splash Mountain after 10 P.M. for a short wait. You will get a little wet, but unless the boat is fully loaded it's usually not that bad.

-Use Fastpass for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad or wait until the last hour of operation

-Don't forget about those Space Mountain Fastpasses you picked up first thing

-Finding Nemo is a unique attraction, but I'd skip it if the line is over 30 minutes. I'd also skip the Monorail as it is a bit of a ride (approximately 20 minutes) and you can see the same stuff from the ground)

-If you finish DCA early enough (say 5 P.M. or before), go to Toontown and ride Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin. It is not present at WDW and has Fastpass (like California Screamin', these are disconnected from the loop and can be held at the same time as another Fastpass). There's a credit back here as well (Gadget's Go Coaster), but the line will probably be lengthy so it may not be worth it. Note that Toontown closes around 8 P.M. when there are fireworks.

-If you're not seeing World of Color, I'd recommend seeing Fantasmic. Go to the later showing and arrive about 10 minutes before, and you'll still get a good view (standing room only). If you are seeing World of Color, head back to DCA about 30 minutes before your showtime and return to Disneyland afterward.

That's about it. Both parks are possible, and you'll probably be able to complete your list, but don't expect short lines. If you decide to do Disneyland only, I'd recommend adding Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours, and Snow White to your itinerary, but if you're doing both parks they can be skipped as all of them have (or had) WDW equivalents.

Edited by rcdude

At Disneyland park, the arcade world of “Wreck-It Ralph” comes to life within the Tomorrowland Starcade. When Ralph and Vanellope are there, you’ll have an opportunity to meet them at the portal to “Sugar Rush” and can even play a round on the classic arcade game “Fix-It Felix, Jr.”

So does this confirm that the games from Floyds Arcade are indeed going to be used in the 2nd floor space of Starcade? I know they were being stored there...

I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for, so forgive me if this is the wrong thread for this question, but is the California Version of the Mickey's Halloween Party basically the same thing as the Florida version? Any major differences? Is the admission still limited like Florida? Parade and Halloween Fireworks? Does California do anything cool that Florida doesn't? Thanks!

They are similar, but different. We did Dl last year, and have done WDW many times. Teh crowds were MUCH worse at DL, especially Friday night. So bad that we rode very little. MNSSHP usually offers near walkons on everything.

The setup for candy is a bit different, and the lines can be quite long at some, but there would be multiple stations, and the candy quality at DL just blew away WDW. Tons of chocolate as opposed to sweetarts and smarties.

The ambiance seemed better at DL too. THye have a not-to-miss pumpkin carving display at Big Thunder Ranch. WDW does have an excellent parade though.

I think both events are awesome, but just remember DL has locals that show up in hoards on teh weekend, so try and hit the Monday event, where we found crowds to be similar to WDW. And we got as much candy as we could carry in teh little bags.. Literally, we got I think 10 pounds of Chocolate total, with street value of probably $50. Plus tons of apple slices, and other stuff.

And, of course, show up at 4 when your ticket becomes valid, not at the event start time.

-RO

The California version is actually not as good as Florida's. The event is essentially the same, except that Florida has a totally awesome Halloween Parade, which California still does not have. And they do a few different types of decorations, but the main difference is the parade (Though I think Halloween Screams at DL is a better show then Hallow Wishes in MK)

^ Check out touringplans.com to find out about crowd levels. You might be able to do both parks in one day (just) with a bit of back-and-forthing.

If I only had one day I'd also pick the following attractions:

- Indiana Jones

- Grizzly River Run

- Muppet Vision 3D

- It's Tough to be a Bug!

Skip Nemo (wait is horrendous for a very average ride), Monorail (waste of time), and Small World (very, very overrated).

In terms of an attack strategy, I'd suggest hitting up California Adventure first, go straight to Radiator Springs Racers and see if you can get a fastpass (FP). If not go grab one from California Screamin', then go Little Mermaid and It's Tough to be a Bug!, once you're done there your FP for Screamin' should be ready. Hit up Muppets and Soarin', then go to Grizzly River Run and pick up your World of Color FP before heading over to Disneyland.

At Disneyland, make a beeline for Space Mountain and grab a FP, then go over to Pirates, then Splash Mountain. Once you've done those two you should be able to get another FP, so go pick one up for Indy, then visit the Haunted Mansion. Go ride Space Mountain with your FP, then Jungle Cruise (best at night!), then Indy.

Pinocchio, Mr Toad, Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn usually have very short waits in the evening so do those last. Then go back to California Adventure and watch World of Color (assuming your FP lets you in on the first viewing, otherwise do this last), then line up for Racers.

If you don't want to remember all of the above just try to use FP to your advantage. The optimal process is as follows:

- grab FP for attraction 1

- do a low-wait ride or show

- grab FP for attraction 2

- use FP on attraction 1

- rinse and repeat

Hope this helps

Thanks. I thought I had notifications of new replies to this post, but apparently didn't.

I think Indy is closed. Are Muppet Vision and Tough to be a bug different than what's in WDW? We've seen both of those numerous times in WDW and figured time would be better spent on new or different attractions. Don't recall seeing Grizzly, I'll look into it also.

Also forgot to mention Fantasmic. We'd love to see that if it can be fit into the schedule.

^Keep in mind that Indy is closed until December and both MuppetVision and It's Tough to Be a Bug exist at WDW (and therefore aren't worth doing if you visit WDW regularly).

It's been a while since I've been to the parks on a Sunday, but my guess is you'd probably be able to get everything on your lists done (or close to it) in the amount of time you have. The parks will be busy until around dinner time, but late at night people will have cleared out somewhat. Most visitors to the Disneyland Resort are Annual Passholders, and on Sundays families tend to visit then leave due to school/work the next day.

If you want to do both parks, here is what I would recommend:

1. Upon arrival, enter Disneyland. Get a Fastpass for Space Mountain, as the Ghost Galaxy overlay is very popular. Then head to DCA.

2. Do not attempt to get a Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers, as they will be long gone (they usually run out within an hour of opening). Instead, head to Soarin' and get a Fastpass. If you want to see World of Color, check by Grizzly River Run to see if Showpasses are still available, and get them if they are. Then, go to California Screamin' and get a Fastpass (your Soarin' tickets will say you can't, but when I visited this week it worked and I've heard California Screamin' has been removed from the loop). While waiting, do any of the following:

-Goofy's Sky School (mainly if you want the credit...there's a single rider line that usually gets you on within 15 minutes)

-Grizzly River Run (the line for this will probably be long, but it also has a fast moving single rider line)

-Little Mermaid (never has a significant line)

-Toy Story Midway Mania (it usually has a bit of a line, so if you've been on it in Florida it might not be worth it)

-Paradise Pier flat rides (these are mainly time-killers if you've already done the above)

3. After your ride on California Screamin', head to Cars Land and ride Radiator Springs Racers using the single rider line (should be 30 minutes or so). You may also want to do Mater's Junkyard Jamboree if the line is short, as that ride is better than it appears. Skip Luigi's Flying Tires.

4. If you still have time before your Soarin' Fastpasses are good, go ride Tower of Terror or occupy yourself in some other way. As soon as you can, ride Soarin', then head to Disneyland.

5. Get a Fastpass for one of the rides you want to do at Disneyland as soon as you enter, then make your way around the park. The order you visit rides in won't matter too much, but here are a few general strategies:

-Ride the Fantasyland dark rides (Alice, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, and small world from your list) during the parade, or wait until after the fireworks. Note that the first three close during the fireworks, but they will reopen a short while after.

-Matterhorn Bobsleds has a single rider line, which will save you time if you don't mind splitting up and/or you want to ride both tracks (they will usually let you request a side even with Single Rider).

-Pirates and Jungle Cruise rarely get long lines, so you can do those whenever.

-Since Haunted Mansion gets a bit of a line during the Holiday overlay, Fastpass may be a good idea. Even without it, the line likely won't be more than 30 minutes, and if you wait until later it may be a walk on.

-Ride Splash Mountain after 10 P.M. for a short wait. You will get a little wet, but unless the boat is fully loaded it's usually not that bad.

-Use Fastpass for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad or wait until the last hour of operation

-Don't forget about those Space Mountain Fastpasses you picked up first thing

-Finding Nemo is a unique attraction, but I'd skip it if the line is over 30 minutes. I'd also skip the Monorail as it is a bit of a ride (approximately 20 minutes) and you can see the same stuff from the ground)

-If you finish DCA early enough (say 5 P.M. or before), go to Toontown and ride Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin. It is not present at WDW and has Fastpass (like California Screamin', these are disconnected from the loop and can be held at the same time as another Fastpass). There's a credit back here as well (Gadget's Go Coaster), but the line will probably be lengthy so it may not be worth it. Note that Toontown closes around 8 P.M. when there are fireworks.

-If you're not seeing World of Color, I'd recommend seeing Fantasmic. Go to the later showing and arrive about 10 minutes before, and you'll still get a good view (standing room only). If you are seeing World of Color, head back to DCA about 30 minutes before your showtime and return to Disneyland afterward.

That's about it. Both parks are possible, and you'll probably be able to complete your list, but don't expect short lines. If you decide to do Disneyland only, I'd recommend adding Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours, and Snow White to your itinerary, but if you're doing both parks they can be skipped as all of them have (or had) WDW equivalents.

In #1 & #2, you have 4 fast passes on entering parks. Are the 2 parks not linked? I assume showpass is different than fastpass?

My thought is to skip any "doubles" that aren't main attractions (mountains, pirates, etc). We can even skip Splash if it's the same as my wife doesn't really like water rides. If the Monorail is 20 minutes, we'll probably skip it unless we are doing great on time. I should also mention I don't do spinning rides. Not sure if it applies other than the tea cups, but I don't do well on those.

Fantasmic is at 9:00 and 10:30 that night and World of Color is at 9:00 and 10:15. I assume we can't make it to both and not sure we'd want to eat up that time. Which one should we hit, or skip both?