TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Excited to see that my favorite Disney ride will soon be back in prime form. I'm glad that this took precedent over the Big Thunder Mountain rehab, although I never found much wrong with Big Thunder Mountain the last few times I rode it (maybe I'm just not a Big Thunder Mountain fanatic, I only ride it once or twice when I go to the park).

Excited to see that my favorite Disney ride will soon be back in prime form. I'm glad that this took precedent over the Big Thunder Mountain rehab, although I never found much wrong with Big Thunder Mountain the last few times I rode it (maybe I'm just not a Big Thunder Mountain fanatic, I only ride it once or twice when I go to the park).

I agree. Big Thunder still looks great.

I believe they were going to do a track replacement so that's something most, including me, wouldn't notice.

Besides the non-functioning last lift-hill scene, the ride at least appears in good addition I'm glad they choose Indy over this.

I wouldn't get your hopes too high guys. Indy has gone down for re-habs close to this lengths before (albeit not quite this long) and all that was done was 'show' wise was spruced up the lighting and such. I'm sure there are other reasons for this down time then adding/fixing show elements, though I am optimistic that we will at least get the audio working again for the entire length of the ride.

I've searched this thread for a similar question (sorry if I missed it -- I find repetitive info as annoying as the next guy), but I'm wondering if some frequent visitors to DCA could provide a couple quick tips for getting the most out of a full day at the park. I'm going Friday with my girlfriend and want to make sure we don't miss the truly unique parts of the park. Besides rides, we know we should see World of Color. We're also trying to scope out a good place for dinner.

We're doing DL on Saturday, but I'm less concerned about that, since we've both been.

I appreciate any help we can get. Thanks.

As far as Indiana Jones, the only real thing I've noticed that doesn't work the way it used to is the rolling boulder scene at the end of the ride. That used to be one of my favorite parts of the ride. For a while it was half rolling, but wasn't too convincing, and the last couple times I went on it, it didn't even roll at all. I hope they fix this scene during the 3 month rehab.

Besides the non-functioning last lift-hill scene, the ride (Big Thunder Mountain Railroad) at least appears in good addition I'm glad they choose Indy over this.

Agreed. BTMR is in pretty good condition me thinks. What is supposed to happen in the last lift-hill scene that is non-functioning?

I've searched this thread for a similar question (sorry if I missed it -- I find repetitive info as annoying as the next guy), but I'm wondering if some frequent visitors to DCA could provide a couple quick tips for getting the most out of a full day at the park. I'm going Friday with my girlfriend and want to make sure we don't miss the truly unique parts of the park. Besides rides, we know we should see World of Color. We're also trying to scope out a good place for dinner.

We're doing DL on Saturday, but I'm less concerned about that, since we've both been.

Evan - Hopefully one of the locals can provide more info about the parks in total, but here is a link to Fast Pass Tips that one of the locals posted awhile back.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c3632/Anaheim:California:Disneyland.Fastpass.Tips.html

^ When was the last time you rode Indie? I went on it late July and the boulder scene was working just fine.

I last rode Indy 2 weeks ago and the rolling boulder was not working 100%. The last time I saw the boulder working 100% was in June and I go to the park 2-4 times a month.

Edited by Top Thrill Dragster

Get there EARLY. Try to be one of the first in the gate and go get a Racers Fastpass. Then go straight to racers and get in a ride before the line gets huge. Check out the other Cars Land rides early before it gets crazy packed.

After that go get your WoC Fastpass. Then I usually head to Paradise Pier for Screamin', Toy Story and Mermaid (you will likely want to do Goofy and Fun Wheel as well). One thing about the Pier dark rides is that Toy Story will always have a line, Mermaid will rarely have one. So if you skip Toy Story in hopes for a better line later, you won't get it. For Mermaid... do it whenever, you'll never have to wait more than 10 mins.

From there I typically head towards Soarin'. If you are unlike me and like water rides hit Grizzly River Run early cause the line will get outrageous, or get fastpass as soon as you are able to. From there Hollywood Land you have Tower and Monsters. Animation is always cool to check out and try to make one of the Aladdin shows if you can, it's a fun show.

Buena Vista Street should be thrown in when you can but since it doesn't have things that get lines, it's great to check out whenever you have time.

As far as Dinner goes, DCA has amazing food now-a-days. If you can, call to try to get into Carthay. If not, check out Wine Country Trattoria, Pacific Wharf Eateries, the new paradise pier dining area or Flo's. Honestly, everywhere else has good food. In that park now.

Hope that helps a little.

Instead of riding Racers first thing, I would say go to Luigi's (if you're interested) and then book it over to Toy Story. Ever since CarsLand opened, Toy Story is basically a walk-on for the first hour of the day. Saves a ton of time as that line won't get less than half an hour for the rest of the day.

From my experience, some of the longest Racers lines of the day are right at opening. Ride it with your fastpass later and then if you wanna go again, do Single Rider - which will be shorter than the line will be early.

From my experience, some of the longest Racers lines of the day are right at opening. Ride it with your fastpass later and then if you wanna go again, do Single Rider - which will be shorter than the line will be early.

Just be careful that you don't let the racers fastpasses sell out, that can happen on the weekends.

Just be careful that you don't let the racers fastpasses sell out, that can happen on the weekends.

Fastpasses are sold out by 9:30am every day for Radiator Springs Racers.

^ When was the last time you rode Indie? I went on it late July and the boulder scene was working just fine.

I rode it last week. The boulder scene has not been working for months now. If you look closely, just above the rim of the tunnel you go underneath, the path between the boulder and the guests is even tied off with what looks like rope or construction tape.

Indy really needs to be updated with current fall protection standards. Thats why its going down. But while its down they are gonna have the in house mechanics go through and rehab most of the ride effects while the contractors construct and install the fall protection, restraint and arrest systems.

As for BMTRR, the current control system cards are no longer sold by Allan Bradly, meaning if it burns out, the ride is done for. Thats one of the big reasons its going down, not to mention also providing proper fall protection and fixing many of the effects, especially on the third lift.

As for BMTRR, the current control system cards are no longer sold by Allan Bradly, meaning if it burns out, the ride is done for. Thats one of the big reasons its going down, not to mention also providing proper fall protection and fixing many of the effects, especially on the third lift.

Interesting point about the Allan Bradly control system cards, I haven't heard that.

Have the doors after the 3rd lift ever opened and closed with each train? I wonder if those might be adapted and put to work to darken the scene for the 3rd lift.

Those are not a show element; but, are simply doors to close off the lift. As to the reason they are even there, I have no clue because as far as I know, they dont ever close them.

Well I base my comment off of a fact someone mentioned with no backing on Mice Chat. Something about how they only worked the few months after opening (one of those effects), and how they would like to see it working again. I don't fully believe the claim, but the reason I ask is why would they put doors there if they weren't going to open or close?

Those are not a show element; but, are simply doors to close off the lift. As to the reason they are even there, I have no clue because as far as I know, they dont ever close them.

Well I base my comment off of a fact someone mentioned with no backing on Mice Chat. Something about how they only worked the few months after opening (one of those effects), and how they would like to see it working again. I don't fully believe the claim, but the reason I ask is why would they put doors there if they weren't going to open or close?

Doors (like barrels) = theming?

Edited by cfc

Whoops...that's what I meant. Do all that AFTER getting Racers FPs instead of getting them and then hopping in line right after.