TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Its spreading....

Disney Parks Blog

This summer, guests at Disney California Adventure park have been surprised and delighted by the ways in which the new “Glow With the Show” Ears magically interact with everything from “World of Color” to Mad T Party and more. Reaction to the “Glow With the Show” Ears has been so positive, the team is already working to expand the magic at the Disneyland Resort.

FTG010201LARGE.jpg.32183da7f3ff16d5dbe417ca7d16d10d.jpg

I’m happy to tell you that you’ll soon be able to “Glow With the Show” during “Fantasmic!” at Disneyland park. Imagine experiencing this classic nighttime spectacular in a whole new way – shimmering with the lights of romance as Disney’s royal couples drift by or becoming part of a virtual sea of flames when Maleficent sets the river on fire.

You’ll be able to get glowing with “Fantasmic!” later this month – stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more updates.

Im a little indifferent on this. It works well with World of Color, but this could maybe take away from Fan!

^ I agree. It makes sense for World of Color and the Mad T Party because bright colors is stressed heavily during those events. The ears add so much during those events.

However Fantasmic, while it does have color, is more subdued and is more about specific imagery instead of flashing colors. If they can actually make the ears work for the show, I would be impressed.

Indiana Jones Adventure Closed for Refurbishment

From September 4, 2012 through December 7, 2012, the exciting Indiana Jones Adventure attraction will receive refurbishment attention. Come back at the end of 2012 for a thrilling journey through the legendary Temple of the Forbidden Eye.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/indiana-jones-adventure/

It's about time this ride got a rehab!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/08/disneyland-resort-aps-register-now-for-your-chance-to-glow-with-the-show-at-fantasmic-on-august-28/

On Friday, we told you that the popular “Glow With the Show” Ears would soon light up audiences during “Fantasmic!” at Disneyland park, and today we’ve got some exciting news just for Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders! Registration is open right now for a special opportunity for Annual Passholders to “Glow With the Show” at a private viewing of “Fantasmic!” on August 28.

Bring your “Glow with the Show” Ears and be among the first to see this magical new experience! That’s right – the premiere showing of this special technology during “Fantasmic!” will be a private viewing exclusively for Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders. Register now to attend, because space is limited and based on availability!

Here are the details:

• One night only – Tuesday, August 28
  • 10 p.m. – 12 a.m.
  • Private viewing of “Fantasmic!” will begin at 11:30 p.m.
  • Select attractions, shops and food offerings will be open for event guests until 12 a.m.
  • Attendees are strongly encouraged to bring their own “Glow with the Show” Ears. Hats are not required for event attendance, but strongly encouraged for optimal viewing experience.

And here’s how you register:

• Registration applies to Annual Passholder and up to 3 Annual Passholder guests
  • Visit any open ticket booth in the Disneyland Resort Main Entrance Esplanade
  • Present your active Annual Passport and a valid, government-issued photo I.D., as verification of your eligibility to register for the event
  • Based on availability, cast member will complete your registration and give you a voucher, required for admission to the event. Limit one (1) voucher per eligible Annual Passholder; multiple vouchers will not be honored

Important additional information:

• Annual Passholders must be at least 18 years old to RSVP for this event, but their guests (up to 3 additional Annual Passholders) may be younger than 18.
  • Registration will close at 10 p.m. (PDT) on Thursday, August 23, 2012, or as soon as capacity for the event is reached.
  • Registration must occur in person at a Disneyland Resort Main Entrance Ticket Booth.
  • Each eligible Annual Passholder is limited to one (1) registration voucher, and voucher does not guarantee admission.
  • Registered Passholders and each of their guests must be valid Annual Passholders on the day of the event and must use their Passports for park entry.
  • Valid Photo I.D. may be required at check-in.
  • “Glow with the Show” Ears are not provided for event participation.
  • The event is subject to change or cancellation without notice.

gsm208934LARGE.jpg.ef684963ac4e9f6da8cdc1174d10b390.jpg

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/08/disneyland-resort-guided-tours-the-new-walk-in-walts-disneyland-footsteps-tour/

If you love Disneyland history, I’ve got a tour for you. The “Walk in Walt’s Disneyland Footsteps” Tour replaces the current “A Walk in Walt’s Footsteps” tour beginning September 9, and is available to book right now. Traveling through Disneyland park, you will learn about the challenges, excitement, inspiration, and fun that went into creating Walt Disney’s original Magic Kingdom as well as the story of the life of Walt Disney himself.

The newly re-launched tour includes an exclusive look into Walt Disney’s private apartment, a peek into the lobby of the exclusive, members-only Club 33, a private lunch on Main Street U.S.A., two classic attraction experiences and a collectible pin.

Here are some things you should know about the “Walk in Walt’s Disneyland Footsteps” Guided Tour:

• The tour is approximately three hours long.
  • Theme park admission for Disneyland park is required to attend the tour.
  • The tour leaves from Disneyland Tour Gardens (left of City Hall) every day at 9:30 a.m.
  • Attractions and entertainment are subject to change without notice.

For pricing and booking information (and to find out about a special discount for Disney Rewards Visa and AAA card holders, Disney Vacation Club members and Disneyland Resort Annual Passport holders) call 714-781-TOUR (8687). Also, be sure to check out the other Disneyland Resort Guided Tours at Disneyland.com/Tours.

WWF010290LARGE.jpg.9dc5f85484208f59f13ad0749620d1fe.jpg

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/08/lets-go-dancin-with-disney-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

This summer, Hollywood Land at Disney California Adventure park is the place to be each afternoon, as “Dancin’ with Disney” turns Stage 17 into a cool spot for hot tunes. You can escape the heat and dance to some of your favorite songs – both Disney and contemporary – along with a collection of rarely-seen Disney characters. This “Party Box” comes alive thanks to a house DJ, custom video, projections and special effects, all supported by the kickin’-est state-of-the-art sound system around. Recently, we’ve spotted everyone from Clarabelle Cow to Captain Hook getting down on the dance floor. Who will you meet? Come “Dancin’ with Disney” and find out!

I find this a bit odd...

Disney Parks Blog

An Early Holiday Gift for Disneyland Guests: Twenty Nights of Disneyland Candlelight Ceremony Performances Scheduled for 2012

posted on August 15th, 2012 by Erin Glover, Manager, Social Media and Print

can118975LARGE.jpg.445f9993ab8cad69c1759681bf11ba62.jpg

The Candlelight Ceremony and Processional has been a Disneyland Resort tradition since 1958, bringing holiday magic to Main Street, U.S.A., with the help of celebrities like Cary Grant, John Wayne, Dick Van Dyke and, in 2011, Gary Sinise.

This holiday season – for the first time in its history – the Candlelight Ceremony and Processional is being extended to a total of 20 nights at Disneyland park, with two performances each night. The first two nights, December 1-2, will be invitation-only events; however, performances from December 3-20 will be open to Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders and guests booking special, to-be-announced dining packages for the 2012 holiday season.

The Candlelight Ceremony and Processional is a beautiful evening performance of beloved holiday music and the telling of the first Christmas Story in Town Square on Main Street, U.S.A. The first performance was in 1958 and has continued every year since. These classic performances touched off another tradition at the Walt Disney World Resort – the popular Candlelight Processional at Epcot.

These are all the details we have at this time, but stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more information on registration for Annual Passholders and booking for the new dining packages. We’ll share more details on the 2012 Candlelight Ceremony and Processional at Disneyland park as they become available.

Check out how we’re preparing for the holidays at Disney Parks in the posts below:

I don't really care for this event, the two times I went I actually started to fall asleep, haha. Though I know a lot of people will be really excited to be able to attend now. I do think its odd however that they went from 2 nights to 20!

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

They should have never done the beach ball thing, in the first place.

When I rode the original Flying Saucers back in 1963 (I was ten),

there were no beach balls or balloon-type things at all, around us.

And I keep remembering that tv special in 1965 on the 10th anny of DL,

included ballooons and stuff falling all around the Flying Saucer riders.

And yet, it had nothing to do with the regular running of the attraction!

It was just good old "bumper cars" in a

new style and physical way of doing it.

Which was at that time, fun

and very cool to do.

These people who are riding them now, should be learning that.

How to become Bumper Tiresss...

(EDIT to add: I have not ridden this new attration, and have 'heard/read' that they are a lot more cumbersome to navigate and direct, etc. So... the beach balls thing would/could really make it all the worse for maneuvering these things, hmm? Noted.)

Money talks!

Exactly!

In Disney's case, Money never shuts the hell up! I'm ok with it though, they get these events that are big money makers and they continue to improve and expand on them (Look at Glowfest, ElecTRONica, and Mad T Party). It's kinds of a win win for everyone, Disney gets their revenue and people get and event/attraction they are willing to spend their money on.

I'd be fine with it if they put it in the Fantasyland Theater. Maybe this is why they kicked the Princesses out already?

If it's in Town Square every night ... ugh.

It IS in Town Square every night, per the Disney Parks Blog.

SNEAK PEEK: Jack’s Gingerbread House Arrives at the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland Park

posted on August 20th, 2012 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

It’s a Disneyland Resort tradition, and “Pumpkin King” Brian D. Sandahl, Senior Designer for Disney Entertainment Creative Development, has a wild and wacky new design for this year’s gingerbread house, the holiday centerpiece on the table in the ballroom of the Haunted Mansion Holiday in Disneyland park.

Of course, it’s not just any holiday, but one inspired by Jack Skellington and the animated film, “Tim Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas,” so there are no reds and greens. So there’s a little bit of Halloween and a little bit of Christmas all rolled into one with orange berries, black pine garland, and garishly bright colors.

“Imagine if Jack Skellington had landed on the Haunted Mansion and decorated it with his vision of Halloween and Christmas,” says Brian.

jgh189024SMALL.jpg.3e18533cba62f652c985361dbd578381.jpg

Now in its 12th year in the Haunted Mansion, this year’s gingerbread house perches on a skinny mountain, and it’s tall and spindly, just like Jack. At nine feet, it’s one of the tallest, according to Brian.

“Jack’s house, candles eerily flickering in the windows, is perched atop a steep, snow-covered peak, with gingerbread steps to his door,” he explains. “Along the way, there are lighted pumpkins in the ‘snowy’ cliffs.”

jgh820152SMALL.jpg.9b339e944f1b0688df36a55f8e6c3387.jpg

Those snowy cliffs are covered with pounds and pounds of sweet fondant, a simple sugar-water-cream of tartar mixture that is pliable (and edible). Jack’s pet ghost dog Zero is also covered in fondant, with a small glowing nose that looks like a jack-o-lantern as he flies in circles around the top tower.

It’s these moving pieces and parts that Brian loves best. Along with a flying Zero, there’s a classic Christmas train – but this one is the “terror train” from the movie that travels on a “ghost track” around the gingerbread house, with an engine, a coal car, a flatbed car with an enormous cupcake with candles, and a caboose.

“You’ll see the train, but it will appear as a ghost train – you can see through it,” says Brian. “As the train travels its creepy course, the ‘ghost lady’ at the right end of the ballroom table blows out the candles on the cupcake.”

Brian gets the fun started, then adds animation and lighting with a talented technical team. Meanwhile, Pastry Chef Jean-Marc Viallet and his bakers at the Disneyland Bakery are working on the exterior’s sweet touches with gingerbread, frosting, candies and fondant.

Opening day is September 14! We plan on several trips through the attraction to see all the holiday touches.

Im excited for this one, it looks different from all the previous years.

Oh.. at least I got to ride it while they were still on the ride - I had a feeling they wouldn't last long.

As for the safety complaints, you can't deny that the rides have been open for over 50 years. It's just that people are too busy on their phones and don't watch their children.

^To be fair, 50 years also means 50 years of changing acceptable safety standards, case law to set precedent, state legislation, and so on. Stupid people surely play a role in it, but there are tons of other factors that also have to be considered.

I'm really surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but Indy is finally going down for a three month refurb. Can I say finally? Hopefully they'll spruce up the old ones and add a few new ones.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/indiana-jones-adventure/

From September 4, 2012 through December 7, 2012, the exciting Indiana Jones Adventure attraction will receive refurbishment attention. Come back at the end of 2012 for a thrilling journey through the legendary Temple of the Forbidden Eye.