TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^It's always so full they have to close it off and on throughout the day...but when I went, I still saw a bunch of empty seats. Probably has to do with the fact I only saw 1 grouper doing all 4 cars!

I know the folks at Disney are no slouches when it comes to capacity, so I found it odd when they were sending what I can only assume to be malfunctioning cars through the ride (taped off or at least blocked by CMs. I guess either they didn't have enough functioning cars to replace them with or they didn't want to waste time replacing them. Either way, RSR was a great experience. As an East Coaster and someone who isn't big on the movie Cars I'm biased towards Test Track, so I wouldn't say I preferred it more, but I'm so glad this park got such a worthy investment.

This is the first time I've ever been to DLR, and I told my friends and parents what DCA used to be like, they didn't believe me. It was just so fantastic. I had no idea I would like Buena Vista Street so much. It's weird, but everything about it is great.

In addition to hearing stories about how half-baked DCA had been before I saw it less than a month after its completed transformation, I also heard stories about how sad, disorganized, and soulless Tomorrowland was. It's... bad. It's got the corporate sellout feel that MK has with the dead PeopleMover track covered by tree limbs and the square pegs of Star Tours, EO, and Innoventions in the circles of formerly great things. I hope that with DCA done they can fix a 15-year old problem by walling up the whole place (except for Space Mountain) and make the place worthwhile. I know it gets talked about to death, but I personally couldn't believe how messy and un-Walt the place was. Do executives consider what their founder would think of their actions, or is it all about the shareholders and ESPN now?

So how has it been doing? I know it works great on Test Track so it seems like it should work well on this as well.

I've been on the right 12 times and all 12 times have been through single rider. The longest I've waited was 45 minutes and the shortest 15mins. And all those times the stand by line was between 150-240mins!

And like others have said, the single rider line has a dedecated queue line with its own wait time clock at the entrance to the ride.

In regards to the Guest Assistance Cards, I do agree with you that there are people that do abuse the system however guest relations is pretty strict on giving them out. Also, just because someone seems "OK" doesn't mean they don't have an underlying issue.

I'm glad someone said something about The assistance cards because just because you cant see an injury, it doesn't mean there isn't one. My family and I go to Disneyland 3-4 times a year and my mom gets a wheelchair and my dad gets the card that allows him to go through the exit. To most people my parents look fine but in fact my mom has multiple things wrong with her and my dads back is so bad he cant stand still in line for more than 5 minuets. Every trip we go on, there are at least 3-4 people in lines a day that make the remark "She doesn't look like she's handicap.". Pisses me off.

My dad has a bad back and can't stand for longer than a few minutes; I also understand why some people need wheelchairs (other than obese people who are just lazy, or kids who are having fun).

However, on both occasions where I witnessed the LARGE groups using a single GACs, the 'guest' in question was a little kid - both times. With one group, the kid was about 2-3 years old and had something wrong with his arm; with the other group, the mother was holding the child because he couldn't wait in line.

I guess I'm just thinking back to a time when people didn't abuse the system - where they didn't use their young child as an excuse to get their whole group up to the front of the line. If you have a young child who obviously has something wrong with their body, do you really think they should be at a theme park riding rides?

If you have a young child who obviously has something wrong with their body, do you really think they should be at a theme park riding rides?

This is a bit of a blanket statement--it all depends on the child's condition.

Here's another example of a "not quite obvious" handicap: A friend of mine is a diabetic and has suffered serious nerve damage in her legs. So, while she can walk around the house and do normal chores (such as cooking), she can't really walk long distances or tolerate standing in a line for a long period. But this wouldn't be obvious to those who don't understand her condition.

If you have a young child who obviously has something wrong with their body, do you really think they should be at a theme park riding rides?

Yeah, let's just put them in a bubble and make them watch cartoons all day.

^^ And that's a completely understandable situation. But I just have a hard time with entire families (groups of 6+ people) getting front-of-the-line access when the guest having issues is 2-4 years old. When you have a low-capacity ride like the tire ride, and 6-8 people get in ahead of you, it's aggravating.

But I also have a hard time with so many people using mobility devices because they are simply obese - husbands and wives using electric wheelchairs because they are just overweight.

^ I wasn't implying that. My concern is that the kids are used to get everyone to the front of the line. When I go to places with my 3 year old nephew, and there's a big group of us, we don't huddle around him all day - we'll split up and do different things - I just don't see why 8 people need to get to the front of the line because a young child (who can ride with his mother/father) has some sort of impairment.

I'm not trying to argue or ruffle any feathers, and I know we all have our personal beliefs. But I've just been to Disneyland way too many times to see the increase in personal mobility devices and ever-increasing handicapped lines. Handicapped 'lines' were seemingly non-existent in the past; now, the line at Thunder Mountain always has a few dozen people in it.

When there are people who truly have physical disabilities, who truly cannot wait in line, it just upsets me when the system is abused.

That's all.

It's up to the park to better enforce the policies if it is becoming an issue. Due to ADA laws (and to a lesser extent, doctor/patient privacy), it is almost impossible to deny someone a pass if they say certain things.

However, there is wiggle room as to what defines "reasonable accommodation." For example, USH limits the guest assistance pass to a maximum of 4 people per pass. As I said above, this first month of opening is essentially a soft open period for them. I give the park the benefit of the doubt that they learning and tweaking.

Well I was finally able to spend a day at the Disneyland resort this Saturday and despite still being in the 4th of July holiday week I was able to get in a ton of rides thanks to the single rider lines.

I started off the day at 8:30 at DCA and waited in a 30 minute line for the Radiator Springs racers Fastpass. By the time I got my pass they were already into the afternoon in return times, mine told me to come back to the ride between 1:50 and 2:50. I then headed over to the Radiator Springs section of DCA and was really impressed the scale and thought that went into themeing the area. Actually I was impressed overall by how much DCA was made over. I purposely stayed away from the photos and remodel updates because I wanted to see the improvements with new eyes. I had not been to the Disneyland resort for at least five years and everything was looking much better thanks to the remodel, DCA has finally erased the tackiness of it's past look.

After getting my fastpass I went over to Radiator Springs Racers and waited in the single rider line for my first ride of the day. The Single Rider line was backed up to the entrance of the ride and the estimated wait time of 60 minutes turned out to be correct. Overall I found the ride to be very fun, but not something I would rate in my top ten disney attractions. I just felt the race part could be a little more forceful, and for me the bunny hops offered no airtime, it even felt like the ride braked a little when cresting the hills on both of my rides. When I returned to the Racers later to use my fastpass at 1:50 the SIngle rider line was down to a 30 minute wait according to the sign, so in the futre I think I'll hit up the ride later in the day rather than rushing to get a fastpass.

This is a list of what I rode after the Racers just to give an idea how many rides a person can get in on a packed day if you are willing to hit up the single rider lines.

Ariel's Undersea Adventure - no wait

California Screaming - 10 minute wait in single rider line

Toy Story Midway Mania - 45 minutes in regular line

Goofy's Sky School - 10 minutes in single rider line

Grizzly River Rapids - 5 minutes in single rider line

Soarin' Over California - 10 minutes in single rider line

Lunch

Monster's Inc. - no wait

Tower of Terror - 45 minutes regular line

Radiator Springs Racers - fastpass

Then I went over to Disneyland around 2 o'clock

Got a Star Tours Fastpass

The Matterhorn Bobsleds Right side - no wait in the single rider line

The Matterhorn Bobsleds Left side - no wait in the single rider line

Finding Nemo Submarines - 30 minute wait in the regular line

Autotopia - no wait

Star Tours - fastpass

Got another Star Tours fast pass

Took the train to New Orleans Square

Splash Mountain - 15 minute wait Single rider

Pirates of the Caribbean - 20 minute wait in regular line

Star Tours - fastpass

Grabbed another Startours fastpass

Star Tours - 40 minute wait in regular line

Dinner

Jungle Cruise - 10 minute wait in regular line

Indiana Jones - 10 minute wait in Single Rider line

Pirates of the Caribbean - no line (Fantasmick was on)

I then waited for the fireworks, because I couldn't remember the last time I watched the Disneyland Fireworks

Haunted Mansion - no line

Star Tours - Fastpass

Grabbed my final Star Tours Fastpass

Space Mountain - 60 minute wait in regular line

Star Tours - fastpass

Left the park at about 11:30pm

I got in 27 rides overall on a Saturday in July.

As you may have guessed my favorite of the day was the new Star Tours, I did get a few repeats (I Visited Hoth 3 times and had the same beginning four times), but I can't remember the last time I walked out of a motion simulator with such a huge grin on my face, and this ride got me smiling every time.

I also agree with the popular opinion here that the new trains on the Matterhorn are a step down from the previous ones. The way these made me sit really jackhammered my spine at a few points in the ride.

It's up to the park to better enforce the policies if it is becoming an issue. Due to ADA laws (and to a lesser extent, doctor/patient privacy), it is almost impossible to deny someone a pass if they say certain things.

However, there is wiggle room as to what defines "reasonable accommodation." For example, USH limits the guest assistance pass to a maximum of 4 people per pass. As I said above, this first month of opening is essentially a soft open period for them. I give the park the benefit of the doubt that they learning and tweaking.

Exactly.

As for the soft opening with the new lands/attractions, that has seemingly had a ripple effect on the entire park - I saw about five groups of 'trainees' at various locations/venues; I think the entire park going through various changes/policies because of the increase in attendance.

Just got back from Disneyland and DCA yesterday. I got there around eleven and bought a park hopper just so I could get on RSR while spending the rest of the day at DL. I decided to wait until next week when I go to DCA with my family to ride everything else there.

Cars Land was amazing. It has exceeded all of my expectations and loved all of the little details put into this land. RSR was a really great ride. Rode it once during the day and a second time at night (Best time to ride it). I loved the massive feel of the show scenes, but loved the animatronics shown in the ride even moreso. Definitely some of the best Disney has done. The line for the ride was two hours, but single rider was forty-five minutes.

I spent pretty much the entire day at Disneyland. I hit all of the E-Tickets in addition to Mr. Toad and Buzz. The crowds at Disney were pretty moderate. There were about thirty minute to hour waits on all of the rides.

Finally, after riding Indy three times, I'm just going to say that it needs a refurb really badly. I hope they have a major one planned for it soon because the ride looks like it's in bad shape. The rat room wasn't working, one of the skeletons was turned off, and the boulder room wasn't functioning the way it should have.

I personally use a GAC due to the illness that I have (JIA), this is how it works for RSR, I am go through the Fast Pass line in which the CM marks my card for a return time and allows me to wait in the Fast Pass line once. Then after I ride I can come back after what ever time is written on my card. That's how it works for me around DCA, just waiting in the Fast Pass line. In DL its a little different if a ride has Fast Pass I wait in that line but if it doesn't I practically get on right away, such as the Matterhorn and Subs and I think all of the Fantasyland rides, never use them at them.

• 2 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/07/got-a-disneyland-resort-question-just-ask-otto/

This summer, Disneyland Resort guests have a new way to get answers to many of their questions: Ask Otto! You can reach Ask Otto! at 714-520-7090*.

jao102129LARGE.jpg.7730d151b19fd89eaf9b8e39c84ed4e1.jpg

A test program by Walt Disney Imagineering, Ask Otto! is a voice-based guest service designed to answer frequently asked in-park questions, such as:

• Attraction locations, wait times**, and Disney’s FASTPASS Service return times**
  • Park operating hours
  • Parade, fireworks, “Fantasmic!”, “World of Color” show times
  • Park food and beverage options, restaurant locations, and general dining information

Ask Otto! can also connect you to cast members in Disneyland Guest Information & Ticket Sales, Disney Dining (for dining reservations), Walt Disney Travel Company/Hotel Reservations, as well as the Disneyland Hotel Operator.

In addition to Ask Otto! (714-520-7090*), you can also take advantage of these other options for in-park assistance:

• DCAToday: See real-time updates and answers to Disney California Adventure park questions on Twitter and Facebook
  • Verizon Mobile Magic
  • Disney Dining: Call 714-781-DINE or email dining reservation requests to dine@disneyland.com, 11 a.m. – 10 p.m. daily.

*Normal call charges apply, subject to availability. Your call may be recorded. Please obtain parental approval for callers under 18 years of age.

**Times are estimated and not guaranteed.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disney-segway-20120719,0,6137405.story?track=rss

Disneyland lets visitors ride a tram, a monorail, a trolley and spinning teacups — but they can't use a Segway, even if they are disabled.

The U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals told the theme park Wednesday that it was time "The Happiest Place on Earth" studied the idea.

"Technological advances didn't end with the powered wheelchair," a three-judge panel said, overturning a lower court's decision in favor of Disney.

The case was brought by Tina Baughman, who wanted to celebrate her daughter's eighth birthday at Disneyland. Baughman suffers from limb girdle muscular dystrophy, which makes it difficult for her to walk or rise from a seated position. She explained her disability to Disney and asked to be able to use a Segway, a two-wheeled transportation device operated in a standing position.

Disney refused, and Baughman sued under the Americans with Disabilities Act. In ruling for Disney, the lower court noted that the park permits disabled visitors to use wheelchairs and scooters. But the 9th Circuit said federal disability protections require more than assuring mere access.

"As new devices become available, public accommodations must consider using or adapting them to help disabled guests have an experience more akin to that of non-disabled," Chief Judge Alex Kozinski wrote for the court.

Disney must show, based on actual risks, why Segways would be unsafe in the park, the panel said. The case now returns to district court.

"We have every confidence that the organization that, half a century ago, brought us the Carousel of Progress and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln can lead the way in using new technology to make its parks more welcoming to disabled guests," Kozinski wrote.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/santa-360141-project-city.html

Imagine a streetcar that would allow you to get off a Metrolink train in Santa Ana, maybe take care of some business in the Civic Center, and then head to the Anaheim Resort for the evening. Or, would take you from your home in Garden Grove to your job at Disneyland or west Santa Ana.

Travelers and commuters get on and off the Metrolink at the Santa Ana Regional Transportation Center. A proposed fixed rail system would connect the train station to Santa Ana's downtown, the Civic Center and west Santa Ana on its way to Garden Grove.

Three cities – Santa Ana, Garden Grove and Anaheim – are moving ahead with plans to develop a fixed guideway to connect people, jobs and entertainment destinations.

Santa Ana and Garden Grove, in cooperation with the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA), are proposing to build a system covering the four miles between the Santa Ana Regional Transportation Center and a proposed transportation center in Garden Grove. The cost is estimated at $180 million for a first phase ending at Raitt Street, to $250 million for a system that would run to Garden Grove.

In Santa Ana, the project would help connect people with government offices, courthouses, downtown businesses and the Artists Village.

The city foresees a system with streetcars running on rails embedded in the pavement, powered by electricity running through an overhead line, picking up passengers at regular stops – as many as 25 – about every 15 minutes from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., with fares comparable to those for buses.

Plans call for a north/south corridor along busy Harbor Boulevard to Garden Grove's hotel district and the Anaheim Resort area, while a 3.5-mile Anaheim leg would connect the resort area and Platinum Triangle to the planned Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC), just off Katella Avenue east of the 57 freeway.

Key destinations include the Disneyland Resort, Anaheim Convention Center, Angel Stadium and Honda Center.

Anaheim has issued a request for proposals from consultants interested in working on what's called the Anaheim Rapid Connection (ARC) Fixed-Guideway Project. Consultants, who face a Monday deadline to turn in their proposals, would prepare environmental documents, prepare applications for federal funding and coordinate preliminary engineering.

Santa Ana Mayor Miguel Pulido, who sits on the OCTA board, last week led a study session before the Santa Ana City Council on the project. When the OCTA board meets on Monday, he plans to make a similar presentation and to provide several recommendations, he told the council. His city, he said, has both the need, and the potential ridership. He said seven of the most heavily used OCTA routes pass through Santa Ana, while a fixed guideway that would connect central Orange County would relieve traffic along I-5, benefiting commuters from cities north and south. "What we're talking about is a circle that would connect Central County," he said. "If you travel around the world and look at transit systems, these circles are very important because that's the way, often, that transit works. People are able to get on at different points and go in diverse directions and connect."

He said he wants to see an initial operating system roll out in a first phase of the Santa Ana-Garden Grove portion of the project, connecting the city's train station, via Santa Ana Boulevard, with Raitt Street. Ultimately the line would run along the Pacific Electric right of way to a proposed Garden Grove regional transit facility, around Harbor Boulevard and Westminster Avenue. The city is still obtaining input on a preferred route. A key, he said, is getting a $180 million initial operating system in place. "I believe there is a possibility that we could begin with that," he said. "Often when you begin with something, it's easier to go back to Washington and say 'Let's add to the system' than to say 'We don't have a system' and we need money from the get-go."

The city has confronted some controversy over the project. A 2010 Orange County grand jury report, whose findings were contested by the city, criticized its selection of Cordoba Corp. for a $4.85 million contract on the project. Last week, the City Council agreed to spend an extra $322,491 for environmental analysis for the project after a sub-consultant to Cordoba failed to deliver environmental documents on time.

Santa Ana is exploring various options for funding, including federal and local sources.

Pulido said that the use of Measure M funds, rather than federal funds, would result in the project moving along more quickly, with construction beginning as early as 2015 versus 2017, and operations beginning in 2017, about 2 1/2 years ahead of a federally funded project.

He said that he will request a funding strategy both for construction and operation and maintenance. "I believe that ultimately OCTA needs to own and operate the system," he said. "We will assist in development and in defining the routes, but this has to grow, and the way it grows is through OCTA."

The city is looking at two alternative routes. One would start at the Santa Ana Regional Transportation Center, with a downtown segment generally centered on a 4th Street and Santa Ana Boulevard loop. The second also starts at the train station, generally centered on a 5th Street and Civic Center Drive loop. Alternatives include such steps as improved bus service.

City officials expect the public to be able to see environmental studies by late summer, with the Santa Ana and Garden Grove city councils expected to choose a preferred alternative in the fall.

Some commuters question the need for the project, saying that bus service to and from the train station is adequate.

Others, like Woodland Hills lawyer Richard Kahanowitch, who rides the train to Santa Ana several times a year, say it would fit into their train-taking lifestyles. The lawyer, who was toting stacks of legal documents, said that getting to the courthouse can be a challenge. "I'd get right on that puppy. It would be perfect for me," he said. "My clients wouldn't have to schlep me over there."

The streetcar project is an outgrowth of the voter-approved extension of Measure M, which was approved in 2006. Through its half-cent sales tax, it included funds to develop transit extensions to the Metrolink corridor, known as Project S funds.

OCTA is working with the cities to ensure that their work meets state and federal requirements, and also to identify funding sources, including local, state and federal funds.

About $23 million in Project S and additional funds have been awarded to Anaheim, while about $11 million has been awarded to the Santa Ana/Garden Grove team. The cities have also contributed, bring the totals to $25 million in local investment for Anaheim, and $12 million for Santa Ana.

Santa Ana expects its environmental report to be completed later this year.

Anaheim expects its environmental work to be done in 2014. It's anticipating an analysis of alternatives and selection of a preferred alternative by fall, with preliminary engineering in early 2014. The project could be designed and built by 2018.

Timelines for Garden Grove aren't as developed.

"The possible extension of the systems to connect along Harbor Boulevard is very preliminary," said Laura Scheper, an OCTA spokeswoman. "However, OCTA is supportive of providing that regional connection, and there is potential in the future for the two systems to connect along Harbor Boulevard."

Just did a quick trip to the resort this evening. At around 9:00 I waited about an hour for Radiator Springs Racers (including a 15-20-ish minute breakdown) in the single rider line (Standby was at 150 minutes) and some of the effects are already broken. The Tractor cows were not tipping, and the final Luigi (before the race begins) was also experiencing some issue (which I heard was running fine all day until that point *shrug*) And I still feel the same way about the ride as when I rode it a few weeks ago.

I like Test Track more.

^ Ditto.

Finally went to check out the new stuff today.

Buena Vista Street: Wow. I was looking forward to this as much, if not more than CarsLand. Didn't dissapoint at all. May be my favorite "entry" to any Disney US park other than EPCOT now (haven't done the overseas parks). And the only reason I like EPCOT's better is because I know what's hiding behind SSE ... my favorite park.

CarsLand: It's Radiator Springs. Period. They did a really amazing job on this, it's quirky, it's fun.

Radiator Springs Racers: We did the whole "Get there early, get a FP, do Stand-By". Waited about an hour at opening had FP's for 11:00am. The ride is fun. I was a bit disappointed that some of the effects already weren't working. This is their new premiere E-Ticket and has been open less than a month. It's been a few days now. Needs to be fixed. The Dark Ride portion, it was cute, thought it was longer. The Tractors tipping would have been nice. The Race ... honestly, didn't really feel like a Race. All of us felt this way. Compared to TT it's just slow. Maybe if I had never ridden TT I'd feel different? In fact, when we went to use our FP's later the ride was 101 and we didn't feel like waiting around to re-ride. Can't remember this ever happening on any new ride ... EVER.

Maters Junkyard Jamboree: Wow ... what a fun ride. Not the most technologically advanced, not high-brow (at all) and really it isn't much different than a Whip, a Tilt A Whirl or a Scrambler (maybe all of those combined) but there is "something" about the ride that makes it amazing. I'm not a fan of Mater in the movies, but I'm a fan of Mater the ride. The songs, the Spanish speil, the queue, it's just "Mater" and it's all fun.

Luigi's: We didn't do this, didn't look too exciting and I wasn't going to wait 75 minutes for it. I honestly see this one going the way of the Flying Saucers.

Ghiradelli: Not too many people talk about this ... not sure why. Free Chocolate!!!

Radiator Springs Racers: In fact, when we went to use our FP's later the ride was 101 and we didn't feel like waiting around to re-ride. Can't remember this ever happening on any new ride ... EVER.

Obviously, you've never ridden Verbolten. (But it seems to be better now that it was in June.)

Edited by cfc

Maters Junkyard Jamboree: Wow ... what a fun ride. Not the most technologically advanced, not high-brow (at all) and really it isn't much different than a Whip, a Tilt A Whirl or a Scrambler (maybe all of those combined) but there is "something" about the ride that makes it amazing. I'm not a fan of Mater in the movies, but I'm a fan of Mater the ride. The songs, the Spanish speil, the queue, it's just "Mater" and it's all fun.

I don't think think I've read a negative review about this thing yet. Funny how simplicity is winning out.

Also, for those interested in this kind of thing, here's some excellent Cars Land Facebook cover photos to choose from....Link. And for what it's worth, the author of that site, Tom Bricker, is easily one of best Disney photography hobbyists around.

Imagine a streetcar that would allow you to get off a Metrolink train in Santa Ana, maybe take care of some business in the Civic Center, and then head to the Anaheim Resort for the evening. Or, would take you from your home in Garden Grove to your job at Disneyland or west Santa Ana.

Isn't that putting the cart before the horse a bit? Why not just run buses more frequently to make the more convenient and provide more passenger capacity?

There's no real need to worry about streetcars in an area until the hourly capacity on the route warrants it....Once a particular route has an articulated bus running every 5-7 minutes all day long, and those buses have standing passengers then that is roughly the tipping point for when it becomes more efficient to run a streetcar service.

But I doubt they are anywhere near that point....

Radiator Springs Racers: In fact, when we went to use our FP's later the ride was 101 and we didn't feel like waiting around to re-ride. Can't remember this ever happening on any new ride ... EVER.

Obviously, you've never ridden Verbolten. (But it seems to be better now that it was in June.)

I'll answer this question in 2 weeks.