TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Thanks Wes, I reviewed the menu and was OK with it and based my prices off of that. I have not been to a California higher end restaurant (other than DCA for the Ariel Meet and Greet last year). How is the food quality for the price ( I know that is subject)? I am not looking for Ruth Chris or Morton's quality on the filet. I just want to make sure it is OK within reason, since my dad is getting a little older and bitches about dumb shit from time to time.

The food quality is very good, like you said it isn't Morton's but it also isn't Applebees. I've eaten there a few times in the past few years, and always been satisfied with whatever I ordered. My issues with Blue Bayou is that it is a bit noisy and the size of the place always makes you feel a bit cramped, plus the disadvantage of Disneyland not selling alcohol. But the setting is unique and worth at least one visit.

Napa Rose and Steakhouse 55 (and Carthay now) are more in line with actual fine dining, although the prices really reflect that.

^ As for the prices of food at the parks, yeah they're expensive, but at least with Disney I feel like you get better quality and variety than a Six Flags or Cedar Fair.

OISU8P, specifically request a table near the water when you make reservations, or have your parents do so if they're making the resevation themselves. Be sure to have your parents confirm with the person that checks them in. Also have them be prepared for a wait that may be just slightly longer for a water's edge table. I've always got a table near the water when I specifically asked for it when making my reservations, but it has resulted in anywhere from 5-15 minutes extra wait a few times.

It can be difficult to make out exactly who you're looking at as they pass by in the boats, so a text to let them know you're on your way is a good idea.

Just went to the 'new' DCA for the first time. I went on a Saturday because only premium passes are allowed in.

I'm a HUGE car guy, but I never fell in love with the movies. With that being said, Cars Land is awesome - it's a car lovers paradise. Sure the GP will just treat it as a land themed around a movie, but in actuality, it's a very authentic representation of Route 66, Hot Rodding, etc.

RSR is VERY cool. But the fastpass operation is ridiculous. Fast passes have been running out a 9:30 am, and it seems that the FP line is the priority line. As you're waiting in the stand-by line, it seems that the fast pass line is always moving. I'm a big fan of fast passes, but it just doesn't seem right when the stand-by is incredibly slow-moving, as if we are filling in the empty spots in the FP line.

The windshields - they aren't bad (and I'm short), but it doesn't look as if they're cleaned every day. The one on our car had water drips and a layer of dust (at 11am)- in the sunlight, it made it hard to see through. If they were adamant about cleaning them at least a few times a day, they wouldn't be an issue.

I honestly can't say enough good things about Cars Land; even without the movie, they nailed it.

The new DCA entrance is very nice - the shops are well-detailed and the Starbucks is a welcome surprise.

Over ad Disneyland, it's still very light on crowds - one-hour later fast pass times, 30-40 on Space/Star Tours, 20 for Matterhorn, etc. The new Matterhorn trains are ridiculous - incredibly awkward how you sit, and not much padding. And again, I'm short, but I had a difficult time getting into the middle seat.

Just went to the 'new' DCA for the first time. I went on a Saturday because only premium passes are allowed in.

I'm a HUGE car guy, but I never fell in love with the movies. With that being said, Cars Land is awesome - it's a car lovers paradise. Sure the GP will just treat it as a land themed around a movie, but in actuality, it's a very authentic representation of Route 66, Hot Rodding, etc.

RSR is VERY cool. But the fastpass operation is ridiculous. Fast passes have been running out a 9:30 am, and it seems that the FP line is the priority line. As you're waiting in the stand-by line, it seems that the fast pass line is always moving. I'm a big fan of fast passes, but it just doesn't seem right when the stand-by is incredibly slow-moving, as if we are filling in the empty spots in the FP line.

The windshields - they aren't bad (and I'm short), but it doesn't look as if they're cleaned every day. The one on our car had water drips and a layer of dust (at 11am)- in the sunlight, it made it hard to see through. If they were adamant about cleaning them at least a few times a day, they wouldn't be an issue.

I honestly can't say enough good things about Cars Land; even without the movie, they nailed it.

The new DCA entrance is very nice - the shops are well-detailed and the Starbucks is a welcome surprise.

Over ad Disneyland, it's still very light on crowds - one-hour later fast pass times, 30-40 on Space/Star Tours, 20 for Matterhorn, etc. The new Matterhorn trains are ridiculous - incredibly awkward how you sit, and not much padding. And again, I'm short, but I had a difficult time getting into the middle seat.

The windshields are cleaned every night after the ride closes. However, the fog in the dip-drop is water fog, so it causes the windows to get wet and hold dirt. As well, the ride cycles before the guests get on in the morning so the ride is already been put through the fog several times when you ride.

I agree, its something that's an issue, as it makes the windows dirty and could be causing other problems as well. Id think they'll either turn it off sooner or later or, replace the water fog with a theatrical fog instead. Its a cool effect, I hope they can make it work in all aspects.

You'd expect the same treatment if you had a Fastpass. The only reason you're saying this is because you haven't had a Fastpass. If you did, I HIGHLY doubt you'd say "man this Fastpass line is moving too fast."

My advice is this--get there earlier and snag a Fast Pass. After all, you've already paid for it in your admission, so you may as well take advantage.

You'd expect the same treatment if you had a Fastpass. The only reason you're saying this is because you haven't had a Fastpass. If you did, I HIGHLY doubt you'd say "man this Fastpass line is moving too fast."

Why? It's not like Fastpass is an upcharge product. It appears like they can hold Fastpass for a bit before the line fills up.

I think the problem is that the time period right now is essentially a soft open, since they only had one week of CM previews before jumping into the grand opening. It takes time to figure out how things operate with guests before you really start to figure out the best practices.

They weren't letting the fast pass line fill up at all.. They let everyone the line keep going to the loading area. Waiting in the standby was honestly one of the slowest Disney lines I'd ever been in, and we were under the bridge when we got in line.

My concern with the fast pass line is that they seem to be given complete priority. I don't mind standby lines or waiting a long time for a new ride, but the line takes forever,while the fastpass line literally doesn't stop.

I'm also seeing more and more people using guest assistance cards for entire families, when the guest in question is a young child. Saw it for the tire ride -both large families, and the guests needing assistance were little kids who seemed fine.

...The windshields - they aren't bad (and I'm short), but it doesn't look as if they're cleaned every day. The one on our car had water drips and a layer of dust (at 11am)- in the sunlight, it made it hard to see through. If they were adamant about cleaning them at least a few times a day, they wouldn't be an issue...

The windshields are cleaned every night after the ride closes. However, the fog in the dip-drop is water fog, so it causes the windows to get wet and hold dirt. As well, the ride cycles before the guests get on in the morning so the ride is already been put through the fog several times when you ride.

I agree, its something that's an issue, as it makes the windows dirty and could be causing other problems as well. Id think they'll either turn it off sooner or later or, replace the water fog with a theatrical fog instead. Its a cool effect, I hope they can make it work in all aspects.

The whole land is themed to cars, both the intellectual property and the vehicle, so I am surprised that no one thought of fitting the ride vehicles with windshield wipers, just have them turn on after the mist on every ride cycle and the problem would be solved.

I'm thinking about visiting the park this friday or saturday, what day do you think will be better?

Some people are saying I should go Saturday because the deluxe southern california pass people will not be there, but does that even matter compared to normal weekend crowds VS weekday?

^^Exactly. Stand-By is exactly that, Stand-By. Same way it would be with a concert of flight as you stated.

Chrisrad I do understand that is seems as if Stand-By gets the shaft but Fastpass does take priority bottom line.

In regards to the Guest Assistance Cards, I do agree with you that there are people that do abuse the system however guest relations is pretty strict on giving them out. Also, just because someone seems "OK" doesn't mean they don't have an underlying issue.

^^Exactly. Stand-By is exactly that, Stand-By. Same way it would be with a concert of flight as you stated.

Chrisrad I do understand that is seems as if Stand-By gets the shaft but Fastpass does take priority bottom line.

In regards to the Guest Assistance Cards, I do agree with you that there are people that do abuse the system however guest relations is pretty strict on giving them out. Also, just because someone seems "OK" doesn't mean they don't have an underlying issue.

I'm glad someone said something about The assistance cards because just because you cant see an injury, it doesn't mean there isn't one. My family and I go to Disneyland 3-4 times a year and my mom gets a wheelchair and my dad gets the card that allows him to go through the exit. To most people my parents look fine but in fact my mom has multiple things wrong with her and my dads back is so bad he cant stand still in line for more than 5 minuets. Every trip we go on, there are at least 3-4 people in lines a day that make the remark "She doesn't look like she's handicap.". Pisses me off.

That's why they invented the concept of "return time" passes. Disney needs to switch to that system, since I am sure the number of people requesting passes has gone WAY up.

In the case of Radiator Springs Racer, having such a long line and fast pass sell out so quick actually defeats the purpose of fast pass: the majority of guests are stuck spending more time in line and less time elsewhere spending money.

^For the guests that have the "wheelchair" access pass they will get a return time (if they request) because in DCA that pass only gets them into the stand-by line as all queues in DCA are wheelchair accessible. In Disneyland that pass benefits them differently as not all queues are wheelchair accessible.

I do agree with you that it is a shame that RSR's Fastpass times out so quickly that most guests are not given a fair chance at getting them. I have absolutely no sympathy for the passholders that show up at the park at 6pm wanting to get a Fastpass but I do however feel sorry for the families that show up at 10am and Fastpasses are already booked out.

We were at DCA last Thursday. If I would have been there by myself or only with other APs I would have just gone to the ride immediately or done single rider but we had a large party including a 3 year old so FP was our best bet. We got in line to enter the park from the Grand Californian at 0720 and were let in the park at about 0750. We raced over to the FP line for RSR and were near Playhouse Disney. We got to the front of the line near 0830. My friend and I got the FP while everyone else enjoyed Cars Land. We waited about 40 minutes for the FastPass. Our return time was 1:30-2:30. One CM I spoke with while in line said the FP have been gone by 0930 and you need to be in line by about 0830 to get one. The ride had been down most of the early entry so it may have been even longer since more people probably wanted a FP for later.

We went to use our FP around 5, waited in line for about 25 minutes and were evacuated. We ate dinner at Flo's and watched someone being evacuated from the ride by the medics. We later heard she had a stroke. They did give us a return FP.

The ride opened again around 7:30 so we went back. The FP line was well down the main drag of Cars Land. This time it took us about 50 minutes. It was partially because the line was longer (many people with FP that were unable to use earlier in the day) and also because we took my mom's scooter through the line with us this time and the special line they put us in for people needing help was much longer. It was worth it though because my mom could sit in line with it when she needed to and he also could take her time loading.

I don't feel sorry for guests that show up at 10 and can't get a FP. A small amount of research tells you that geting to parks at opening is always best and getting a FP for the best rides first thing is also best. When people were checking into the hotel they were telling them to get to DCA very early and get a FP right away, even if you had to wait in line.

I remember when Indy opened and the lines were 3 hours the first couple of weeks. This was even before the days of FP and when there were not as many APs. I am grateful for the FP because we would not have been able to ride RSR without it. One thing I did notice was that they were being very accomodating of letting people get out of line for restroom breaks, food, etc. They also had people selling things throughout the queue. It is a lot to ask of people to hold it for 3 hours and I thought this was nice.

^Very true. While I do still feel sorry for them it is what it is. That's like showing up at 12 noon and hoping all Black Friday deals are still available. Showing up early for something you know is going to be popular should be common knowledge and common sense for that matter......

The problem is that the "average" guest does not arrive early. There's so many variables involved (traffic, waking kids up early, bathroom breaks, etc. etc.), that it is not always even their fault.

As I said a few posts up, the time right now essentially amounts to a soft open. Disney needs some time and actual crowd flow data to better manage the guest flow in the area, as they were clearly not ready for what has hit them. But I am sure as each day goes by, tweaks are made to improve things.

Side note to crowd control: my personal peeve is the green tape on the ground that passes as overflow queue.

I forgot to add: I thought the land was awesome! I was there with total non-Disney people and they felt the same way. I saw the movie Cars because this was coming and loved it. We bought a bunch of Cars stuff and actually waited in line to see Mater, Red and Lightning McQueen. I enjoyed RSR too but the town is what got me.

The best part was watching my 3 year-old nephew with Mater. I go to the DLR so much that I had forgotten what it is like to see it through newbies and a child's eyes.