TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Luigi's is SUPER FUN. I know this ride was getting a lot of negative reviews, but basically if you follow the instructions (lean, don't lean too much) it's really easy to maneuver and you'll have an awesome time. The wife and I were able to move around the course with ease, and catching and throwing the beach balls add a fun element to the ride. I wouldn't wait an hour for it, but it's definitely a cool ride and I'm glad the concept worked out this time. The inside portion of the queue has a bunch of details that pass some of the time.

It is great to hear a positive review of the Flying Tires! With so much negative buzz surrounding the attraction, I'd hoped that someone would be able to say that this wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. For the historical factor alone, I'm looking forward to riding the Tires, and it does look like a fun attraction to ride with a group.

I'm being very careful not to look over all of the details of Cars Land and Buena Vista Street since I'm hoping to see it for myself before the end of the Summer, but what I have seen has made me very antsy to get back to the park. I've always liked California Adventure, especially in the more recent years, but looking at these two projects as they have reached the finish line is just so neat! Seriously looking forward to checking all of this out in person, whenever that might be!

I *hate* the fanboys who happen to frequent it and have to remind you how amazing it is. As though they are trying to over compensate for small male reproductive organs or something. Just stop, ok? No one wants to hear it!!!

Maybe Disney's also really tired of it, and that's the real reason they increased the season pass price. "Eventually we'll get to a price where they finally stop visiting, right? Right?"

I think it's a fun ride but I don't really understand some of the decisions they made. One of the big ones being why you go though the Radiator Springs town. There is a little bit of story before getting to that point, though not really, then you round the corner into radiator Springs. I think this is supposed to be a WOW! moment but it isn't really because you just walked though a much more impressive version outside, and there isn't much story in that part of the ride until you pull into either of the shops. I think they should have just kept the story of the inside parts revolving around the outlying areas of Radiator Springs, instead of some how ending back up in the town you were just in that isn't the same town your were just in. They could have done a bit more to convey the race theme as well, like make it seem that your in a legitimate race like something from the 2nd movie and not just a banner that says START and another that says FINISH.

It's a good ride and impressive but I don't think the indoor part is on the scale of Indy and way better like lots of people seem to be thinking.

I think they should have just kept the story of the inside parts revolving around the outlying areas of Radiator Springs, instead of some how ending back up in the town you were just in that isn't the same town your were just in.

I doubt very many people will let that fact ruin their day.

Edited by ernierocker

^ In a sense I agree it would have been cool if they had some more unique locations and integrated the characters as opposed to rehashing through Radiator Springs as a set piece. I think they probably wanted the Luigi's and Ramone's customization scenes and thus RS came along with it.

Finally the west coast has bragging rights again.

And here's another reality check - there is really no need to continue telling people how awesome the ride is, as though no awesome ride has ever been built before...

Because I got two words for you....

LAVA. FU*KING. MONSTER.

Yeah, so there.

/end rant.

--Robb "Sorry, I just really hate the 'we are better than you' attitude of many Californians sometimes...I just had to say something." Alvey

I think my post got a little mis-interpreted...my wording there was rather poor.

I'm not an über Disney fanboy and I don't frequent the park. I do however feel that Carsland is the first attraction in quite a long time that the resort can be proud of. Finally I don't have to listen to a conversation where everyone says ever aspect of WDW is better than DLR.

What I meant was, while it may not be Journey or Test Track, it is a fantastic attraction worthy of monumental praise, the likes of which hasn't been seen since Indy opened. I'm not saying WDW doesn't deserve praise, but it's nice to finally have an attraction that can stack up to some of the larger WDW rides. Frankly I get tired of hearing the WDW fanboys brag about Everest or Test Track to no end so I guess it can go both ways....

Sorry for causing the rant.

^There is quite a difference between something to be proud of and bragging. And that's the whole point of what Robb is saying. The South Californian mantra is too brag about everything they have.

And who have you ever heard brag about Test Track?

Edited by larrygator

It is silly when folks argue over which resort is better. Both parks have their positives and negatives. Most of it is individual opinion and not based on the general publics view that have not been at both (or have).

I have been to both and have my own preferences for each. For example, I think Disneylands POTC kicks the hell out of the Magic Kingdoms (same with Space Mountain). On the flip side I think Animal Kingdoms Dinosaur is much better than Indy (minus the queue). Another example, I would NEVER stay on property at Disneyland but it is a MUST at WDW for me.

Some folks tell me Tower of Terror is better at Studios vs. DCA. I have been on both and have no idea what the difference is to get that opinion. I am sure there is a difference, but just shows that I never payed that much attention (as would the general public).

^ Tower in Orlando has the whole 4th dimension sequence when your car moves forward into the drop tower shaft. Plus it has random drop sequences. I myself like both Disneyland the same as I do Magic Kingdom. I like how most of the attractions are not exact clones of one another.

A question for those who may have an idea: How long do you think it will be before the INSANE reopening crowd levels wear off and we get back to just ordinary very busy summer crowd levels? I'm really looking forward to checking out Carsland, and all the other new additions to DCA, but I'm not too keen on the idea of dealing with shoulder to shoulder crowds. With my current work schedule, and little available time off, I'd be looking at flying in and doing a weekend visit. Thanks in advance for any insight.

^ Tower in Orlando has the whole 4th dimension sequence when your car moves forward into the drop tower shaft. Plus it has random drop sequences. I myself like both Disneyland the same as I do Magic Kingdom. I like how most of the attractions are not exact clones of one another.

Thanks and shows that the average park goer is not going to know the difference. I knew there was a drop sequence change on TOT, but thought that was with all of them (thanks for the correction). I do not ride it enough to notice the difference (maybe twice on each). For all I know the one I experienced in DCA was the same as Studios.

I just do not understand why Disney Fan Boys complain all the time on the smallest details. Do they realize that the parks are a business and not their personal playground? Do they know that Disney's board really does not care about their input given they are probably a very small fraction of their revenue?

Well, what do I know. maybe they are using their bitching future for Continual Service Improvement.

Finally the west coast has bragging rights again.

And here's another reality check - there is really no need to continue telling people how awesome the ride is, as though no awesome ride has ever been built before...

Because I got two words for you....

LAVA. FU*KING. MONSTER.

Yeah, so there.

/end rant.

--Robb "Sorry, I just really hate the 'we are better than you' attitude of many Californians sometimes...I just had to say something." Alvey

I think my post got a little mis-interpreted...my wording there was rather poor.

I'm not an über Disney fanboy and I don't frequent the park. I do however feel that Carsland is the first attraction in quite a long time that the resort can be proud of. Finally I don't have to listen to a conversation where everyone says ever aspect of WDW is better than DLR.

What I meant was, while it may not be Journey or Test Track, it is a fantastic attraction worthy of monumental praise, the likes of which hasn't been seen since Indy opened. I'm not saying WDW doesn't deserve praise, but it's nice to finally have an attraction that can stack up to some of the larger WDW rides. Frankly I get tired of hearing the WDW fanboys brag about Everest or Test Track to no end so I guess it can go both ways....

Sorry for causing the rant.

*facepalm*

*double facepalm*

Carsland looks incredible, and Radiator Springs Racers looks like a really fun ride! As amazing as that section looks I'm honestly kinda of surprised that people found something to complain about this soon, but I guess that's Disney fans for ya. I can't wait to get out there one of these days, and honestly wouldn't mind seeing some version of this at WDW at some point in time.

Rather you love/hate/don't care about the Cars movies, I think the Route 66 themed town works really well for a stand alone park section. I could easily see it being cheaply replicated at some park in Japan in the next decade .

^Hmm--replicating Carsland at Tokyo Disney would be interesting, because one of the segments of Cars II takes place in Tokyo. (Could be a good retheme for the Racers ride--but that's getting way ahead of ourselves.)

^ That sounds awesome. The only drawback I'm seeing to that is having the same ride system twice in the same park/same resort. It's not like a coaster where you can do a lot of different things with it. Would be interesting though. I think that concept would be fun!

Granted, from what I've seen of "Journey" it's not really a "racing" thing like Test Track/RSR but more of a fully realized dark ride, just using the ride system with a few fast parts. So perhaps using it as a "racing" ride would differentiate itself from Journey enough.

What do those who have ridden Journey think?

Also, Wes, thanks for your reviews. I haven't been to CarsLand yet, but I've heard some really fun things about Luigi's. I can't wait to ride it. As for Mater's, it still strikes me as an updated "Ladybug Boogie" that happens to be 100 yards away. And it cost them $100m.

I actually think I'm looking forward to BVS as much, if not more than CarsLand.

Putting Radiator Springs (a desert town) into Tokyo Disney Sea (a water based theme park) doesn't make much sense.

True, but if they can find some space for it in Tokyo Disneyland, it could work. Maybe.

But they could put "Newsies Land" in Tokyo DisneySea. Robb would be all over that!

I'm looking forward to checking out Carsland, but I doubt I'll get there this year.

I'm really looking forward to paying a visit to DCA this Summer. RSR looks like a great addition to the park. Maybe this will suck some of the people from Disneyland so it wont be so crowded!

- It does get really hot in that land, and there's not a lot of shade as of yet. So just be prepared for that.

But the heat is part of the immersive theming of Radiator Springs being a desert town, right?

I broke down and watched the POV - big kudos to the night version of it, it looks fantastic! Like anyone not an under-10 year old boy, I'm not a huge fan of the movies, but was astonished at how amazing looking the AA characters look in the ride.

Happy DCA finally got an original, major, E-ticket worth talking about since it opened and more importantly that the much-needed fixes to the park seem to be worthwhile. Disneyland deserved a better neighbor, and now it's finally looking like it has one... Will hopefully get out west for the holiday season this year and see for myself.

As far as the crazy synchronized mouse ears go, I've been waiting for someone to implement this idea for years! Can't wait for the detailed official trip report!