TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I'm a little surprised Disney doesn't have a better plan in place to handle situations like this. As multiple people in the video said, "isn't there security?" It seems like it took extra help a long time to get there, and because no one showed up guests had to get involved to help.

I think this situation is the only time I haven't seen security every where in a second. There may have been another situation some where else in the park. I've read people bad mouthing the securtiy for their response time here. I doubt anything like this will ever happen.

I'm glad those guests stepped into help the security cast member non-violently.

Hope the man is permantly banned from all Disney Parks.

Yeah, that has to be one of the slowest reaction times I've ever seen of any theme park security. Especially since at the beginning you hear the guard calling out "415 Physical" which is the police code for fight. Generally most security will run to a situation like that and be there within a minute, took about 3 for this one.

Either way, it still seems to have been handled well by those who were there waiting for backup. Nothing was excessive, especially with the way that guy was acting.

Switching subjects,

Minnie's Fly Girls seems like a Pan Am-rip-off. (The ABC show airing on TV now)

Disney owns ABC, can you really "rip-off" something that is yours?

Generally most security will run to a situation like that and be there within a minute, took about 3 for this one.

Except that the majority of Security Officers I typically see at the park are not the "running type". Some don't even seem like the fast-paced walking type.

If I remember correctly, the security guards aren't really allowed to run because they could hurt themselves or others, or they can cause a 'stampede.' However, it did seems a pretty long time until backup arrived.

While there was no excuse for the man punching the security guard, I was incredibly surprised by the people (hipsters) filming the video- they are incredibly immature, especially the girl who was screaming, "There are kids here... What are you drunk?" I'm pretty sure she was holding a beer - the camera briefly flashed past her.

What's sad is that yes, we all have cameras on us nowadays, but it just seems that the kids who were filming were more amused by the situation than they were concerned about it.

Really, does anyone know that back story? I'm really interested - I'm sure it has more to do than just being drunk.

^The same thing has been happening on Portland public transportation lately. There have been several incidents where people took photos or video of crimes or threats, but nobody contacted security or emergency services.

In some cases I could be sympathetic (if it's ambiguous whether a situation is dangerous, or if there is reason to believe adequate help is on the way), but in many cases, it's just perplexing.

^The same thing has been happening on Portland public transportation lately. There have been several incidents where people took photos or video of crimes or threats, but nobody contacted security or emergency services.

In some cases I could be sympathetic (if it's ambiguous whether a situation is dangerous, or if there is reason to believe adequate help is on the way), but in many cases, it's just perplexing.

There is violence in Portland? I thought everyone was laid back and cool there. But I agree with the whole ridiculousness of filming stuff, I mean look at the whole Oscar Grant thing with BART Police here in the Bay Area... it's crazy that the first thought in people's mind is "I gotta film this!"

It's unfortunate that situations like this develope, but these parks admit who knows how many tens of thousands of people on a daily basis. (sadly some of those visiting to Disneyland/DCA indulge in drugs or alcohol)

What surprised me the most is that the officer did not have immediate back up to this situation.

I once read that Disneyland/DCA has more security officers, than Anaheim had police officers! Yet when this Disney officer needed help, none was available. (and the public had to step in) This is completely unacceptable!

In this day in age of 'Terrorist' concerns (Which Disneyland/DCA is a prime target) I would have expected a hugh reponse to this situation.(even if it was overkill, that would better than having the park patrons help out)

If a Disney policeman is spraying pepper spray and calling for help, then I would expect a momumental response to that situation. This sadly did not happen, and if anyone from Disney happens to read this thread, you have some explaining to do.

If they couldn't handle a simple situation like this,(a drunken patron) then what the heck happens when an actual Terrorist strikes the park!

It's time to review the security procedures of the park, perhaps they're not all that they could be.

As a regular visitor, I would expect more.

^ I personally think the guard handled it very well. He wasn't excessive and for the most part had control until that final outburst right as backup was arriving.

Yes response was a little slow but this was not a terrorist... do we really need ridiculous fear mongering on this? It was just a drunk guy. After watching the video again the guard appears to be explaining over the radio that the suspect was subdued with pepper spray due to being physical. He didn't seem to be requesting emergency assistance, in which case the backup is still coming but not code 3 (in a hurry). It wasn't until a minute later that the situation started to get out of hand and he didn't have an opportunity to call for emergency assistance. Lets not get carried away and say that Disney is as unsafe as Compton or something!

In this day in age of 'Terrorist' concerns (Which Disneyland/DCA is a prime target) I would have expected a hugh reponse to this situation.(even if it was overkill, that would better than having the park patrons help out)

If they couldn't handle a simple situation like this,(a drunken patron) then what the heck happens when an actual Terrorist strikes the park!

Equating a drunken moron at ToT with a "terrorist" is a bit of a stretch, although I understand what you're saying. I actually found the behavior of the people videotaping this incident every bit as disgusting as that of the drunk--they were more interested in getting footage to post to You Tube and making snarky comments than they were in easing the situation.

I do agree that security should've gotten there a bit sooner than they did, but you have to factor in fighting your way through the mob of gawkers to get there.

^Good article.

I may have missed it in there, but was he tanked prior to getting to the park? I could not find in there if he showed up the get the GAC drunk or was drinking there after. If he showed up to the park in park drunk, he should probably of never been admitted in.

The more I watch the video, the more I cringe at the people recording it.

While I finally understand the back story (thank you Gregg for posting that!), I still can't help but think there is also something to do with the group of kids who are filming it - they just think it's so awesome that he's being sprayed and is being reprimanded for his actions. If you carefully watch when the camera pans around the circle of kids, they seem to look like complete douche bags (oh wait, they're just typical So Cal kids)..

And then there's the 3:45 mark where the little high and mighty blond (the one screaming) is holding a beer.

So while the man being detained is obviously at fault for what he did, the problem is definitely exacerbated by the immature punks doing the filming.

/rant

Small Update

Anaheim police tell CBS2 and KCAL9 that they arrested 53-yearold Glenn L. Horlacher. He was booked at the Anaheim police department and issued a citation. It is not clear what charges, if any, Horlacher will face.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/19/caught-on-tape-belligerent-man-repeatedly-pepper-sprayed-during-wild-fight-at-disneyland/

What surprises me is that he looks like a Keystone Light type of guy. How could he get that stupid on alcohol with Disney prices without spending a great deal of money?

Apparent Mugshot:

horlacher.jpg.27750b7a1eff8821ead3db21e641f8d8.jpg

Another post from the Parks blog!

Disney Parks Blog

‘The Road to Cars Land’ Coming to Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar on February 29

posted on February 23rd, 2012 by Erin Glover, Manager, Social Media and Print

There’s a big update coming to Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar at Disney California Adventure park on Wednesday, Feb. 29. “The Road to Cars Land” will be a sneak preview of the plans for Cars Land, featuring a model of the land, maquettes of some of the new ride vehicles, and sketches and early concept art.

And of course, brand-new Cars Land attractions posters will be included in this latest update. Other items to be featured will include the shovel used during the ground-breaking ceremony in July 2009 with the signatures of John Lasseter, Director of “Cars” and Principal Creative Advisor, Walt Disney Imagineering, and other project team members. A new video at Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar will feature John, the Cars Land design team, project architects and landscapers providing insights into the innovations behind the new land opening this summer at Disney California Adventure park.

Once the expansion is complete, Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar will continue to be a preview center for new experiences planned for the Disneyland Resort.

rad118944LARGE.thumb.jpg.c5976019f48860920475f520444aeff0.jpg

mat228494LARGE.thumb.jpg.ce6601c6e78e202bec830b54958db6d4.jpg

lui334392LARGE.thumb.jpg.dcc2704bc30b048ea109cf1afe81b0aa.jpg

I am excited to finally see a Carsland exhibit. I missed all the stuff shown at the first D23 convention.

And here come another update!

Disney parks Blog

The Inside Track to Cars Land Stores at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on February 23rd, 2012 by Michelle Harker, Merchandise Marketing & Communications Project Manager, Disneyland Resort

Rev up your engines Disney fans, and hang on, because I’m taking you on the inside track for a quick look at some of the stores racing your way this summer into Cars Land.

cur123234LARGE.jpg.58dac785a8fee41598bedca92b1bcc65.jpg

Our first destination will definitely have you putting on the brakes, because Radiator Springs Curios is sure to ‘drive’ you crazy for trading. Fill up on kitsch roadside must-haves like pins and Vinylmation themed to all things “Cars,” or grab some quick pick-me-up items like antenna toppers, window clings, license plate frames and magnets that are sure to make you the envy of others on the open road.

ram123234LARGE.jpg.658432e5c01a31a53f33b99f28125c48.jpg

I’m going to need you to keep your cool for our next stop… because we are cruising into Ramone’s House of Body Art. This high-octane, garage-like environment has all the tools needed for you to hit the road in style. While some will race in to become a member of the Low & Slow Car Club Radiator Springs, the Champion Custom Speed Shop collection is sure to meet your need for speed with signature pin-stripe style and laid-back look which appears on a variety of shirts for work and play, hats and accessory items.

Next week, I’ll be able to give you a glimpse at some of the actual products from these collections. Until then, check out the renderings of the store fronts. Sweet, right?

Had enough? Me neither.

sarg123234LARGE.jpg.125c971473a182d2d347429c74b11da4.jpg

So finally it’s time to earn your stripes as you “march in” to the barracks of Sarge’s Surplus Hut, but don’t let its military-style characteristics fool you – it’s sure to get your engine racing. Don’t be fearful that you’ll have to “drop and give Sarge twenty,” because you’ll find that every inch of merchandise in this facility will pass “inspection” by the troops, with its broad selection of offerings featuring Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater and other classic “Cars” characters. From kids clothing, costumes and hats to novelty items, toys and plush, you will find all the necessary rations before you race on to your next adventure.

So where will you make your first pit stop? Radiator Spring’s Curios, Ramone’s House of Body Art or Sarge’s Surplus Hut?

Here is an update on the 24 Hour Leap Year party!

Disney Parks Blog

Late-Night and Early Morning Snacking at the Disneyland Resort During One More Disney Day

posted on February 24th, 2012 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

We know Disney fans are mapping out their 24 hours for the One More Disney Day fun at Disneyland park – when the park will be open a full 24 hours (starting Wednesday, Feb. 29 at 6 a.m.).

Of course, food is part of our equation, and the Disneyland Resort chefs have lots of goodies around the clock. To make it more fun to nosh, special items have been added especially for the celebration.

From 11 a.m. to midnight, French Market Restaurant will be offering shrimp pasta and red beans and rice. From midnight to 3:30 a.m., the menu changes to chicken gumbo, corn chowder, French dip sandwich with N’Orleans chips, shrimp salad sandwich with carrot-citrus slaw and bananas Foster cheesecake.

odf324598LARGE.jpg.10e5c5e83f714e50333b89607489ac51.jpg

For a more serious dining adventure, at Blue Bayou from 4 p.m. to 3 a.m. you can order a fancy roasted bourbon shrimp stuffed with Dungeness crab mousse served with angel hair pasta and spinach in a smoked tomato-habanero-artichoke sauce. Or prime eye of round with two quail eggs, roasted cauliflower and potatoes, Brussels sprouts and a cabernet sauce.

odf564285LARGE.jpg.a91c98becb6e449059d7c7e1868a83ad.jpg

If you remember when Café Orleans used to serve breakfast (three-cheese Monte Cristo French toast, anyone?) you’ll want to be sure to head over any time between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. for specials from their former breakfast menu: scrambled eggs, Creole eggs benedict, three-cheese Monte Cristo French toast, lump crab quiche, bananas Foster French toast and fresh fruit with yogurt and granola.

Other spots to find late-night snacks from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.:

Cherry pie at The Golden Horseshoe

Chili cheese corn dog, fries and cherry pie at Stage Door Café

Brownie and krispy skewers at Bengal Barbecue

Green chili cheese blue corn tamales at Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante

All-beef mac ‘n cheese hot dog with bacon bits at Refreshment Corner

Creamy lobster bisque at Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe

Pot roast and chicken sampler at Plaza Inn

Chorizo and egg breakfast pizza at Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port

Spicy chipotle chile turkey burger and onion rings at Tomorrowland Terrace

You should also know about the chili cheeseburger with fries that will be available at Village Haus Restaurant – an homage to a longtime guest favorite known as “The Woodcarver,” which has been off the menu for many years.

dtd019381LARGE.jpg.7b4402bfe450f13de669ad2901bca125.jpg

Also, guests visiting Disneyland park in the wee hours of the mornings of February 29 and March 1 for One More Disney Day will be able to enjoy a cup of coffee or some breakfast at select Downtown Disney District locations which will be opening early on those special days. Click here for a list of Downtown Disney District restaurants that will be opening their doors early on February 29 and March 1.

What are you planning to try during One More Disney Day at Disneyland park?

All this food looks amazing! I cant wait to go to this party!