TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

While their suits are a little more high tech, I can't help but compare them to Poreotics performance last year. I'll definitely head over to the Resort and catch them perform.

And can I just say I FREAKING love that Disney brings all these amazing dance crews to perform. I really hope whatever they come up with to replace ElecTRONica in the future is worthy of all the cool things Disney has done with this.

It interests me that one of the most successful events they've put on at California Adventure is based on a movie that flopped at the box office. I guess this shows the strong "cult" following of the Tron flicks.

^I do agree the party atmosphere was attractive, but I think the TRON branding, and seeing how most of the film's music tracks can be danced to and just the overall fact that Daft Punk was involved is along with the atmosphere what made TRON "fit" for an incredibly successful event.

EDIT: Plus I think it did a good job disguising some of the areas that were under construction/rehab in the Hollywood area.

^Yeah, definitely. I'm not discounting the role that TRON played in the event, I'm just saying that you can walk over to ElecTRONica without having ever seen the movie (I hadn't at that point, myself) and still have a great time. So even if the movie was a flop, that doesn't change the fact that it makes for a great theme for the atmosphere they wanted to create.

So does anyone know when Cars Land is supposed to open?

The last I heard was the planned month for opening was June. Nothing has officially been announced as of yet, I would imagine that it would open in June as it appears progress is being made fairly quickly.

Wasn't it rumored that Disney might actually be ahead of their construction timeline? Seeing as how much the area has progressed I wouldn't be surprised...

I wouldn't be surprised if they were ahead on Carsland. Seeing how fast things seem to be going up I wouldn't be surprised. If BVS opens in June that would be a miracle.

I imagine that Disney will do Everything in their power to open Cars Land by Memorial Day weekend. (the end of May)

That would be a great launch into the summer season!

I bet this addition will be a hugh success. (along the lines of Universal Orlando's Potter land)

Many people 'believe' in Disney, and will want to see what this new addition has to offer.

DCA will now be seen as a marque attraction,(worthy of a seperate admission) rather than Disneylands embarrassing stepchild. (aka2001)

The Future looks bright!

I think one of their current headaches is the timing of Beuna Vista street in relation to the opening of Carsland. They probably are trying to avoid having guest walk through a construction zone, especially the media, to get to Carsland. From what I've read so far, I would not be suprised to see a mid-summer debut of Carsland. The look of Buena Vista is turning off far better than what I remember seeing at the Blue Sky Cellar. Great to see that classic style being executed so incredibly well.

I think one of their current headaches is the timing of Beuna Vista street in relation to the opening of Carsland. They probably are trying to avoid having guest walk through a construction zone, especially the media, to get to Carsland. From what I've read so far, I would not be suprised to see a mid-summer debut of Carsland. The look of Buena Vista is turning off far better than what I remember seeing at the Blue Sky Cellar. Great to see that classic style being executed so incredibly well.

I do think this will have an impact on the opening. If they wanted to open Carsland a bit ahead of schedule, the main entrance plaza will have to be walk-able. Meaning the stores can still be behind walls but the main street under the monorail would be open. However, opening Carsland with all those stores closed on Buena Vista St means lots of lost revenue. Most likely Carsland wont have its grand opening until some sort of giant shopping location is open at the front of the park (It could even be only half the street).

Also, there was an update from the parks blog that we missed:

Disney Parks Blog

John Lasseter Tests Luigi’s Flying Tires at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on December 26th, 2011 by Kathy Mangum, Executive Producer & Vice President, Walt Disney Imagineering

When I talk about Cars Land, people often ask me which of our three new attractions is my favorite. That is an impossible question to answer! I love them all and for different reasons. Recently we began ride testing Luigi’s Flying Tires and it is promising to be a fantastic experience. There’s nothing like it anywhere in the world.

The vehicles have been made to look like oversized Fettuccini brand tires – the same tires Luigi proudly displays in his shop, Luigi’s Casa della Tires. Once guests are seated inside their tires, Luigi will direct Guido to turn on the air compressor. With that command, air will be pumped up through openings in the floor of the tire yard and the vehicles will begin to float and fly. With Luigi’s Flying Tires, the guest is really in control of the vehicle. By shifting your weight around, you can control the direction of your travel. And if that’s not enough fun, you can always turn a lever and make your tire spin!

John Lasseter recently stopped by to visit with the team and to take a tire for a flight and, as you can see in our video, he has quickly become one of our best flyers. The Imagineer is who is riding with John and giving flying directions is Mike Kilbert, our lead ride engineer and designer for the attraction. Also, John’s son Bennett and Ben’s girlfriend Holly were there and got a chance to try their hand at it – they’re pretty good for a couple of novices! I think you can tell by John’s reaction that he thinks we’ve got a winner on our hands. I couldn’t agree more!

This ride actually seems to be a bit more fun then I thought it was going to be...or Lasseter is just a giggly little boy at heart haha.

My older brother actually rode the original Flying Saucers at Disneyland with my Mom way back when, but they could never get their saucer to move very well. Looks like, after five decades, they've finally licked that problem.