TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Great stuff Robb.

Is the Pirates suite the same one that opened a few years ago when the last Pirates movie opened?

I honestly don't know, but it did look the most "dated" of the four we visited.

Awesome report Robb! Now I don't have to wait for the Sun Wheel to see what is going on! I'm definitely going to visit the mermaids tonight!

Sorry if I'm dumb and missed it in a previous post, but I saw Goofy's cycling vehicles today. The trains looked exactly the same but with some Goofy stickers on them. If this has already been posted I will do the honorable thing and whip myself for my stupidity.

All of this is gold-plated, chocolate-filled Sex-Win, but the R.S. Racers just blow my mind. Damn, that looks so beautiful.

I'm burning with desire to be at the Disneyland Resort right now...

It's great to see all the good things happening at this park. I haven't been there since '03, but I remember feeling there was a lot to be desired... looks as though it is really coming around now. I can't wait to see how everything will look when completed!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who cried a little watching the POV of the Little Mermaid ride. That was pretty much my childhood in ride form. It brought back a lot of happy memories of watching it with my family!

I'm normally not a big follower of the Disney parks, but this all looks absolutely amazing and beautiful! The detail on the Little Mermaid ride blew me away. What an awesome, very comprehensive update. Thanks for sharing this Robb!

Now if only I had an extra $4000 to blow on one of those suites for a night...

^ I would have to say that my "honorary gay moment" came (heh) when Jodi Benson sang live.

On another side note, what I found most odd about the entire event was this...

When I worked at Disneyland, Star Tours was the a new ride and Little Mermaid was the most recent Disney animated movie to be released.

22 years later, Star Tours is new again, and everyone is going crazy over Little Mermaid.

Some things don't ever seem to change!

Thanks Robb for the update.

Here in Europe, this ride is deemed as an overall disappointment. I was really expecting what Disney sold us, an E ticket ride, and no dashed off C ticket. Nethertheless, this ride seems to fit the lack of C ticket attractions in DCA, even if the transitions are messed up.

Have a look at the ride preview of the original E ticket attraction dealing with the Little Mermaid theme, designed by Tony Baxter's team back in the early 90s as a Euro Disneyland phase II planned ride(never built).

see the difference? Edited by HugoR

Here in Europe, this ride is deemed as an overall disappointment. I was really expecting what Disney sold us, an E ticket ride, and no dashed off C ticket. Nethertheless, this ride seems to fit the lack of C ticket attractions in DCA, even if the transitions are messed up.

I can understand the disappointment somewhat. The video you posted (which was VERY cool) looked like it told more of a complete story. But, the bottom line with Disney is the almighty dollar. So seeing the changes from the artist's conception, to what we have now, is not surprising.

First off, the "gondola" style ride (ala Peter Pan) would be an absolute capacity nightmare, so the omnimover system (which is a people eater) is a logical choice.

Second, the choice of turning it into a "greatest hits" ride makes it more enjoyable for children. When kids get off the ride, they would want to identify with it and coax their parents into buying anything associated with it. If it had told a more complete story (as awesome as it would have been) the "scary" or "darker" portions would have not been a plus for the kids.

It just makes more sense, from Disney's standpoint, to almost guarantee a return on their investment.

Now, if they could only get rid of that dumb, generic, infomercial filled with sprinklers (World of Color), it would be a much nicer place!

JJ

Visited DCA yesterday to ride the new Ariel ride--

All I have to say is that it's a very cool ride! The effects were very neat. It is absolutely another one of those rides that little kids and families would eat up and love. I haven't seen the movie for years, and was stunned when I couldn't remember if the movie ended as her being a human or mermaid. I was pleasantly surprised that we weren't dumped out into a gift shop on our way out. On top of everything, I didn't realize Ursula was so friggin fat.

Got a bunch of rides for being their for a very short evening:

-CA Screamin

-Tower of Terror (x2)

-Grizzly Rapids

-Ariel

-Soarin over CA

Went over to Disneyland after and only got on Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Indiana Jones (x2 -- it broke down and they let us ride twice), and the Jungle Cruise. I was tired, watched the fireworks, and decided to leave. Everything seemed to be running super smoothly (as it usually does for Disney parks). Didn't feel like waiting 120 minutes for the new Star Tours.

Up is moving into the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail!

ruu597863SMALL.jpg.6af0597bb8c66c14058beb4aa586e209.jpg

There are new friends coming to Disney California Adventure park this summer! On June 25, the Wilderness Explorers’ Camp will open at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, featuring Russell and Dug from the Disney•Pixar film, “Up.” The Ahwahnee Camp Circle will be the place where guests can participate in a special ceremony with Russell and graduate to Senior Wilderness Explorers. Also, as guests enter the trail, they will be met by Dug, the friendly dog. The trail will feature Wilderness Explorer activities through which young guests can earn merit badges.

On July 9, Phineas and Ferb will debut their new show, “Phineas and Ferb’s Rockin’ Rollin’ Dance Party,” also at Disney California Adventure park. The show will be an interactive dance party featuring the Disney Channel favorites. Guests will have the chance to join in on dances and activities while a DJ spins songs from the series.

Which of these Disney characters are you most excited to see?

From the Disney parks Blog