TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disability Group Want Theme Parks to Allow Segways

Orlando, FL - Advocates for the disabled are pushing Walt Disney World and SeaWorld Orlando to lift a ban on the use of Segways at the theme parks, saying the scooters give people who can't walk a degree of personal freedom not afforded by wheelchairs.

The parks say the scooters create safety hazards, and that disabled people are welcome at the attractions, just not on Segway Personal Transporters.

"We're not turning people away," Disney World spokeswoman Kim Prunty told the Orlando Sentinel for a story Saturday. "We're turning away a particular form of transportation."

The move to allow the two-wheeled, electric Segways at the park is coming mostly from an organization called Disability Rights Advocates for Technology, or DRAFT, which raises money to donate Segways to disabled U.S. military veterans and pushes for their acceptance.

James Nappier uses one. The 49-year-old petty officer in the Navy Reserve suffered leg and arm nerve damage in a May 2004 mortar attack in Ramadi, Iraq.

"It's been a godsend, because I can get out and get around on it," said Nappier, of Loxahatchee. "I try to take it all the places here I can."

Nappier said he has a sense of freedom on a Segway — and that standing on the upright scooter, he can look people in the eyes for the first time since he's been unable to walk.

Earlier this year, Epcot Center officials wouldn't let Nappier enter on his Segway, forcing him to use a wheelchair pushed by his wife, Lacey.

Many people who use prosthetics, and people who can stand but can't easily walk, — such as many people with multiple sclerosis — find Segways offer more mobility and dignity than wheelchairs, said DRAFT co-founder Jerry Kerr, 52.

Kerr, who suffered spinal-cord injuries in an accident and uses a Segway, estimates that at least 5,000 disabled people have purchased Segways to get around, up from a few hundred that he estimated three years ago.

Disney runs paid, guided Segway tours of Epcot and the Fort Wilderness campground, and has put many of its employees on Segways. But Disney officials said they see serious safety concerns if potentially untrained visitors are riding Segways on the same crowded walkways as toddlers, elderly persons and people with sight, hearing, mental or mobility disabilities.

They say they are also concerned that Segways can go more than 12 mph, much faster than most motorized wheelchairs.

"Our concern has continued to be the safety of all our guests and cast members," said Prunty, the Disney spokeswoman.

E-mail and telephone messages left for Bedford, N.H.-based Segway by The Associated Press were not immediately returned Saturday.

SeaWorld spokeswoman Becca Bides told the Sentinel the park had similar concerns and added that SeaWorld has thin paths and walkways of varying grades and construction, which may be ill-designed for Segways.

Universal Orlando permits disabled riders on Segways on a case-by-case basis, park officials said.

Ugh, do these come with seats, now? How can you operate it if your leg is hurt...you can't stand!

Wow, this will cause a LOT of problems in parks with people nearly getting hit and people having to look out. I can see people getting plowed over during the "running of the bulls" to the newest ride.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest, the reason why I think they would be banned is probably due to safety hazards. Much like the reason why Heelys, skateboards, and rollerblades were banned in the first place.

Are Segway's clumsy around corners and such? I could see that as a possibility.

Forget electric wheelchairs! I get run over by regular old wheelchairs surprisingly often. Let me just put this out there: if you are in a wheelchair (electric or otherwise), please spare my feet! Haha.

On a more serious note: I do like Segways, but I agree that they could be just as dangerous as most other wheeled forms of transportation. Again... most of us are pretty attached to our feet.

Everyone has to have something to complain about.

These people complaining are acting like Disney is denying them entry due to their disability.

All they're saying is that they have to use a normal wheelchair, and not a segway.

They say they have more dignity in a segway?? Someone in a segway would stand out more then in a wheelchair.

I can see both sides of the argument here. On one side, the Segway is more respectful than a wheelchair or ECV because they are not forced to sit to operate it. Sitting in a world where everyone else is standing is sometimes considered very demeaning. The fact that you are forced to sit makes you a second class citizen, so to speak, and forces almost everyone to literally look down at you. The Segway allows people, who can still stand and function, just are unable to walk long distances, to be able to be standing like everyone else and move in a similar footprint as everyone else. This allows them to keep some extra dignity and explore things "on foot" that a wheelchair or ECV would not be able to explore. The Segways are also practically "run over proof". The machine itself, when it hits something, does not keep going unless it thinks it's a hill. If a person on a Segway came towards you, you could easily push it away and the machine would stop and go backwards a little bit. Not saying it's imposable to get run over, but it is very preventable.

Depends on the model. If you have the earlier models, like the HT p133 or the i180, then yeah it's a little clumsy around corners. However, the current model, the i2, is very smooth around corners and evasive maneuvers. Before turning was in a little knob on the handlebar, vary similar to a motorcycle throttle. In the i2, the turning is by physically moving the entire handlebar left and right. This gives a sort of skiing motion, allowing for the ability to take corners easily and effortlessly.

On the other hand, ECVs alone are a major hassle in safety and numbers. They take up an enormous footprint and, with their power and limited breaking ability, cause many a run over foot or a run over guest. It's also the case that, in my experiences, a good number of people who rent the ECV and don't use them normally, can't drive them safely. I've had my shins bashed many a time by an incoming ECV simply because the driver did not know how, or refused, to break before coming in contact with me. Adding another motorized machine could lead to a chaotic state. The Segways, though the driver is required to know how use the machine safely, also can go up to 12 miles per hour. That zipping through a crowded park on a hot summer day is hard enough to do for some of the managers I saw at Disney, let alone a guest.

Weighing in on both sides, I feel in my gut that I side with the people with the Segways, but on one condition. I think they should be allowed, but they have to be key governed. There is a way to electronically govern the speed of the Segway through its key and I believe that govern should be to the same speed as the rented ECVs. That way everyone is still on a same page for safety in terms of speed. They should also be the guest’s property. The parks should not start a policy to rent them at the gate. I know that's not mentioned, but I can already see the pathway going that direction. In my thinking, the Segway might actually be safer than an ECV because of the smaller footprint, less torque on the wheels, a required knowledgeable user, and the ability for an outside body to stop the machine from colliding into them if the situation arises. Overall, they could be considered a safety hazard, but not more of a safety hazard than an ECV.

I apologize or the long post. I really took this matter into consideration.

Stuart

How will Gob go to Disneyworld now?

GOB isn't welcome at Disney anyway. They only hire Alliance Approved magicians.

I can see both sides of the argument here. On one side, the Segway is more respectful than a wheelchair or ECV because they are not forced to sit to operate it. Sitting in a world where everyone else is standing is sometimes considered very demeaning. The fact that you are forced to sit makes you a second class citizen, so to speak, and forces almost everyone to literally look down at you. The Segway allows people, who can still stand and function, just are unable to walk long distances, to be able to be standing like everyone else and move in a similar footprint as everyone else. This allows them to keep some extra dignity and explore things "on foot" that a wheelchair or ECV would not be able to explore. The Segways are also practically "run over proof". The machine itself, when it hits something, does not keep going unless it thinks it's a hill. If a person on a Segway came towards you, you could easily push it away and the machine would stop and go backwards a little bit. Not saying it's imposable to get run over, but it is very preventable.

Depends on the model. If you have the earlier models, like the HT p133 or the i180, then yeah it's a little clumsy around corners. However, the current model, the i2, is very smooth around corners and evasive maneuvers. Before turning was in a little knob on the handlebar, vary similar to a motorcycle throttle. In the i2, the turning is by physically moving the entire handlebar left and right. This gives a sort of skiing motion, allowing for the ability to take corners easily and effortlessly.

On the other hand, ECVs alone are a major hassle in safety and numbers. They take up an enormous footprint and, with their power and limited breaking ability, cause many a run over foot or a run over guest. It's also the case that, in my experiences, a good number of people who rent the ECV and don't use them normally, can't drive them safely. I've had my shins bashed many a time by an incoming ECV simply because the driver did not know how, or refused, to break before coming in contact with me. Adding another motorized machine could lead to a chaotic state. The Segways, though the driver is required to know how use the machine safely, also can go up to 12 miles per hour. That zipping through a crowded park on a hot summer day is hard enough to do for some of the managers I saw at Disney, let alone a guest.

Weighing in on both sides, I feel in my gut that I side with the people with the Segways, but on one condition. I think they should be allowed, but they have to be key governed. There is a way to electronically govern the speed of the Segway through its key and I believe that govern should be to the same speed as the rented ECVs. That way everyone is still on a same page for safety in terms of speed. They should also be the guest’s property. The parks should not start a policy to rent them at the gate. I know that's not mentioned, but I can already see the pathway going that direction. In my thinking, the Segway might actually be safer than an ECV because of the smaller footprint, less torque on the wheels, a required knowledgeable user, and the ability for an outside body to stop the machine from colliding into them if the situation arises. Overall, they could be considered a safety hazard, but not more of a safety hazard than an ECV.

I apologize or the long post. I really took this matter into consideration.

Stuart

Thanks for the detailed post. I find it very hard to disagree with you. If Disney's principal complaint, that Segways go too fast to be safe, can be addressed by lowering the top speed of the Segways then they should be allowed. Disney is smart enough to know that excessively going against the disabled community is a losing position for them.

Disabled inexperienced segway drivers.

Ummm, No Thanks.

It is not just the speed.

Big factor is the "lack of control" introduced with this type of equipment.

Not going to explain it. It is just the way it is. No matter how much they argue to get it, it will NEVER happen.

And yeah, isn't it enough having strollers, wheelchairs, fatchariots, and cast members on segways...NO MORE!!!

OMFG! That's histerical.

But anyway, if you just bump someone on a segway, you can knock them over. (Heck, Bush couldn't even stand on his!) Now if they used those "cheaper" knoock-offs that have 2 more wheels, it wouldn't be so much a safety issue.

^He's riding in someone else's garden. What a jackass. I mean, can you just see a bunch of people riding these things where they shouldn't just to avoid crods. Not to mention the massive crowds at DW would make it almost impossible to get around a fair amount of the time.

Isn't this old news?

I remember this coming up at LEAST once before a year or two ago.

And yeah, isn't it enough having strollers, wheelchairs, fatchariots, and cast members on segways...NO MORE!!!

It comes up all the time and will continue to until it actually happens. But, even more importantly, I believe we have a new dictionary entry with fatchariots.

I have no problem with disabled guests wanting to utilize them, but as with so many other things in life, guidelines must be met. Honestly, my biggest problem is with "DRAFT". In my opinion, I think they're barking up the wrong tree here.

I believe the answer lies with the Department of Transportation. This may seem a little crazy, but if the SEGWAY is gaining that much popularity in a niche market such as disabled transportation, then why not regulate it much the same way other two wheeled vehicles already are? Why not make SEGWAY owners register for operators' licenses like any other motorcycle or moped?

Sure, the SEGWAY is not as big a risk to pedestrians as the motorbikes are, but common sense will tell you that you don't wanna get run over by one of those things. If you think it's crazy, then think about personal water craft, or waverunners as they're commonly known. A blindfolded monkey could operate a waverunner, but that doesn't stop them having to be registered by your state. Yes, I know that doesn't stop every moron from jumping onboard at your local lake and wreaking havoc, but in the SEGWAY's case, it could be different.

As a registered owner of a SEGWAY, and especially if it were to be used as a means of transportation for the disabled, you would have to pass a training course before receiving a license to operate one in public. And God knows, I'm sure the DOT would be hard pressed to find a reason to turn down a new pipeline of revenue.

This, of course, is a stretch, and would probably never see the light of day. However, I doubt the disabled folks would mind driving their SEGWAYs if it meant only having a distinguishing license mark of some kind on the vehicle. Something like that could establish them as qualified to operate around pedestrians. Thoughts?

Ugh, do these come with seats, now? How can you operate it if your leg is hurt...you can't stand!

If you even read the quote what you posted properly you would see it said many people can quite easily stand but not walk.

Having said that, I do also see them as a potential safety hazard, especially on very busy days. If all of them had responsible owners then it would probably be fine, in addition to the fact they probably have a better line of sight through crowds than a normal motorised wheelchair given they are much higher up. This leads me to Beemerboy's post about some kind of licensing, which I see as a good idea IF indeed these vehicles are shown to cause more injuries etc than a regular motorised wheelchair.

In my opinion, I think they're barking up the wrong tree here.

You are correct. As Elissa mentioned...this is an old issue. I remember reading in an article the last time it came up that Segways are not classified as "disability equipment" under the ADA, so these groups complaining have no legal ground to stand on.

Everyone talks about Segways on the midways, but I'm guessing the parks are more concered with everything else: Segways in queues, ride loading areas (ride ops have to start driving them to move them?), WDW resort transportation, bathrooms, restaurants, etc. I'm guessing it would be a huge undertaking to make sure everything continues to operate smoothly and properly accommodate Segways, so why do it for such a small group if you legally don't have to?

• 4 weeks later...
Disney Sued for Segway Ban

By Associated Press

18 HOURS AGO

ORLANDO, Fla. - Three disabled people have sued Walt Disney World for not allowing them to use their Segways to move around its theme parks.

The plaintiffs are each able to stand but cannot walk far, and they have been denied permission to use their two-wheel vehicles at Disney World, according to the federal court lawsuit.

The suit filed Friday says they're among an estimated 4,000 to 7,000 similarly disabled people who have turned to Segways as mobility tools.

A group called Disability Rights Advocates for Technology, which raises money to donate Segways to disabled U.S. military veterans and pushes for their acceptance, previously asked theme parks to lift bans on the devices. Group co-founder Jerry Karr said Segways offer more mobility and dignity than wheelchairs.

Disney says it fears Segways could endanger other guests because they can go faster than 12 mph.

"We've made our position very clear on these Segways in our parks," Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak told the Orlando Sentinel on Friday. "Our primary concern is the safety of all our guests and our cast members. We have a long history of being a leader in creating accessible experiences for our guests with disabilities."

Plaintiff Mahala Ault, 33, has multiple sclerosis; Dan Wallace, lost one foot in an accident and Stacie Rhea has Lou Gehrig's disease. The suit did not give their hometowns, saying only that Ault and Wallace are from Illinois and Rhea is from Iowa.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Americans at their finest. *sigh*

It's shit like this why we have SO MANY more stupid rules at theme parks than Europe or Japan.

It really frustrates me. Anyone who has been with us on our trips, or visited parks overseas, know that most of the parks are far more "hassle free" than the US parks. It's because the US parks now have to cover their asses for every possible group or organization that want to sue.

It's disgusting.