TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Halloweekends-Cedar Point-October 13

Before I say anything else, Cedar Point is home to the greatest Steel Roller Coasters EVER! Especially Millennium Force, Maverick, and Magnum. (Any coincidence that they all start with M?) However, I felt, once again, the park is poorly maintained and poorly managed.

We got there and immediately went to Millennium Force only to find out it was broken down. Broken Down? 10 minutes after opening? Oh well, we went to what makes logical sense, Maverick. The line started next to the water canons, and took about 2 hours and 15 minutes to ride. No Breakdowns! Just saw my first rollback, which it recovered instantly from. AMAZING! We rode front row, by the way, and it was worth the extra 5 minute wait! Maverick still gets 10/10 from me.

After that, we ate at the Round Up next to Maverick. 45 minutes to get a Chicken Fingers Basket for $8.29. The food was decent, but not worth that wait. We then went to Mean Streak, but decided since the wait was 1.5 hours, we would try Millennium Force again. It was finally open at 4:15. While in the line, they took off the yellow train, delaying the wait. Then 15 minutes later they decided to put the yellow train back on. What kind of poor decision making was this? Off and On, Off and On. When we finally got on (Back Row of course) it was once again worth the wait. Still 10/10 and my favorite steel Coaster.

Having not been on much, we were kind of disappointed. Maxair was closed for mechanical reasons. We then went to Gemini for a ride. One hour for Gemini when both trains running? WOW. Well, we rode red and really enjoyed it.

Red still gets 8/10.

From there we did Magnum, and after a 75 minute wait, we rode back row. That ride is fantastic. 10/10.

After Magnum, we did Disaster Transport. 15 minute wait via an alternate entrance due to a haunted attraction. Decent ride, too bad the service lights were on, however. 7/10.

Making our way back to the back, we walked through the transformed Frontier trail. Not too scary and way too many people, strollers everywhere. We then rode Cedar Creek Mine Ride. After hearing so much positive buzz on this ride, had my hopes up. After the ride I decided it was AWFUL, no excitement factor whatsoever. Adventure Express at KI is soooo much better. 2/10.

Then I finally got my credit on Mean Streak. I felt it was very similar to Son of Beast, back when it had the loop. Not a bad layout, just a bit harsh on the fillings. 6/10.

After another really mediocre cheeseburger and cold hard fries (food really sucks in frontier town), we hopped on Gemini Blue. Trims were off for the night and we flew! What a blast! 9/10.

Then as we made our way out of the park we did another back seat ride on Magnum towards the dark, cold Lake Erie. Then hit up Corkscrew for the first time! Not bad at all! Smooth and quite fun, just small. 6/10.

This park needs better management! I realize they were probably short staffed, but then they should have limited admissions. Food stalls were all packed with 30+ minute waits. Not even all the food outlet were open. The scary zones were over packed. The food was not only way over-priced but it SUCKED. At least when Six Flags over prices their food, you get large quantities and pretty decent fare. With ride operations, some things make no sense. Running 3 then 2 then 3 trains within 25 minutes on MF confuses me. 3 train operation on Corkscrew when there were 2 people on each train confused me. What happened to Maxair? That was disappointing. The bathrooms are filthy, sidewalks dirty and food outlets covered in bugs and spider webs. Like I mentioned before, the park has by far the best rides, but they have a long way to go to perfection. From now on, I will never need to go there more than once a year, if I want to keep my sanity!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After Magnum, we did Disaster Transport. 15 minute wait via an alternate entrance due to a haunted attraction. Decent ride, too bad the service lights were on, however. 7/10.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Although it might not quite be the holy grail that Space Mountain with the lights on is, you could probably easily see a lot of the theming.

Triangle hills is not a good coaster IMHO. It's painful, lacks airtime, and not really specialy in any way other than it was the first.

Maverick and MF, I totally agree with you on.

It's kind of funny how rediculously crowded CP is on saturdays. I mean, these lines are longer than most DL lines on peak days. It's crazy. CP really needs to pick up it's staffing a lot, as there were some problems that you had that should not happen on a crowded saturday during a (weak) halloween event.

Tighten your seatbelt and you won't fly into the (admittedly painful) lapbar.

I've worked at CP, and we don't take trains off for the heck of it. Chances are, yellow had some sort of quick mechanical issue that needed to be fixed.

I can't speak too much for the food at the park, but if you're looking for quality try some of the sit-in restaurants. Game Day Grille and Red Garter have some good grub. I haven't tried out the new Panda Express or Chick-Fil-A either.

This should remind the kids out there.. NEVER.. EVER go to Cedar Point on a Saturday or your in for some pain... and during Halloweekends? You might as well just assume the position.

Learn from your mistakes and you shall prosper my young padiwon.

Yeah, we were there the 13th. Only got on Top Thrill Dragster (front seat), Magnum (great ride, not painful at all if you don't sit on top of a wheel like an idiot!), Skyhawk, Raptor, Cedar Downs, Wicked Twister, and Millenium Force. It was crowded like I've never seen it, but we still had a great time.

And the food at Chick-Fil-A was decent, but the bees were horrible early on in the day.

-James Dillaman

Millennium Force is actually an underrated coaster. Everyone rants about how overrated and crappy it is that it has become underrated. If you sit in the front row the island hills actually have some airtime... And I rode it on the day after opening (Which was frigid), so once it heats up later in the year, it probably gets going faster.

However, it is NOTHING compared to S:ROS SFNE. And it has pretty much no positive G forces. Even S:ROS pulls some nice forces through the second helix.

I wouldn't go that far. I know plenty of people who still have MF in their top few spots.. and have ridden more then JUST Ohio coasters.

How do you think it stays so high in most polls? Even in the MH, its still up there.

Remember, not just the people who post on forums vote for those awards.

ps: Are you trying to defend MF? Because first you say its underrated, yet you procede to say it doesn't deserve its high spots on polls. Not seeing your logic..

Yeah, I am trying to defend it, so sue me

I'm not saying it is a bad coaster, but I'm not sure if it deserves to be that high either. It probably is better than Nitro though... I thought Nitro was kinda meh.

I have heard alot of people say that Millennium Force loses it's appeal after you ride alot of coasters... I have only ridden 30, so maybe that is why I don't think it sucks...

Man, I need to learn to defend my opinion better... Everytime I get into an arguement online I always end up caving in eventually

haha its perfectly fine. I was in your shoes.. Hell, last year, MF was in my Top 5.

It is in no way a bad coaster, but I do agree, its not as good as many claim.. and doesn't in no way deserve to be ranked so high.

MF does lose its appeal after you've started riding other things. It dropped down my Top 10 fast even before I went on my trip. Maverick is what changed my opinion about it.. because I hadn't really ridden a coaster of true QUALITY until then.. and ever since, MF continues to go lower. Its in my Top 25.. but barely.

Well I have mixed emotions about this whole limiting admissions thing. It seems like its beneficial to everyone, the park and the guests, by letting everyone in without limit (of course at a point they have to stop people from entering). Look at it this way. If you were a family that drove 8 hours to get to Cedar Point for what you hoped would be a great weekend, would you rather be allowed in and have to wait quite a while for rides, but at least get on some, or not be allowed in at all? Its tough for a park to say "the park is full... sorry" since people get angry enough when one single ride is closed.

Still, some friends of mine went that weekend and I can say it doesn't sound like the crowds allowed for a very enjoyable visit. Too bad thats the weekend you, and other people, happened to visit. It isn't always like that on Saturdays though. Usually Maverick only has an hour and 45 minute wait.

But in all seriousness, Halloweekend Saturdays have been receiving insane crowds ever since last year. If you want to go during Halloweekends and have an impressive ride count, do not even try a Saturday.

But I don't agree with the employee comments. Employees at Cedar Points really run the rides great. Some crews will almost run as they are checking restraints. Its just the rides at CP aren't designed to handle crowds like Disney. MF can't pump as many people through as Haunted Mansion no matter how hard the employees try.