TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Could a Track Jumping Coaster Be Possible?

I've just got finished with a book called Jumper and I thought I was a very interesting book. It also got me thinking that maybe with today's technology, I might be possible.

I did a little research and found that there was a coaster that did this called "Leap-the-Gap". The car was to jump over a gap and land on the other side and continue on it's way. While the ride was being experimented on, the designers found that the weight varied because of the passengers.

In the book that I read, the trains were aerodynamic and were each equipped with 2 flare-shaped metal objects on each car to catch the ends of the open pipe rails at the end of the jump. An extended floor and 2 angled walls to channel the car into the right position. The cars also said that they'd have a laser positioning system, gyroscopic stabilizers and aerodynamic fins to keep it aligned while flying through the air. Most importantly, it had a weighing system that adjusted to the weight of the passengers in the car and added weight if needed.

The sections of track before the jump spun to keep the track dry in that area.

I think it's possible, but it's a lot of weight. Your guys' thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it could be possible, but the jumps would have to be very small ones. Otherwise, I can see big problems with comfort. The impact with the track when landing would be a large jolt, and it would be very likely that the car would bounce on impact. That bounce could cause a drop in speed that could make it impossible to finish the circuit, or it could cause damage to the wheels, or break them off. There is a possibility of this working, but it would cost a lot for upkeep. Also, if someone were to actually develop a coaster such as this, forget them ever running it in any bad weather conditions. There is also a problem with the weight. If the car is overloaded, the car could land wrong in the catch and drop from the track. Possible injury or death right there. Technology still needs to advance more in this field before I can see this option being plausible for any buyer.

I was just looking at Griffin and in it's transfer track the car detatch from the track and are supported on those rubber wheels (forgot the real name of them just now). What if the cars did this on a hill at a low speed? It would give the illusion of jumping the track. Then a positioning system could re-align the wheels so it goes correctly back on the track.

p19378.jpg.c76dc1360a545815c2a78ccdb75b5d38.jpg

example from rcdb.com

No, not at all.

As Bryan stated above, it would be an insurance companies worst nightmare. The ride would be as comfortable as riding a Toboggan. Secondly, everybody knows drat well no 2 people are really alike. Even with fancy doo-dads and whatsits, I doubt parks would really think its "safe" for a coaster to have gaps.

The closest thing ever to a "gap coaster" would have to be Vekoma's Thrill Lift/Tilt coaster. I think the safety risk might have been the reason why it never took off in the first place.

I highly doubt that any park would be willing to build any coaster with a gap, mostly for insurance and safety reasons. Even if the technology is there, it just seems like a very abstract concept for a coaster.

Personally I think it would be very cool if the illusion of jumping the track were executed well, which is very possible:

http://www.cantileveredcoaster.com/AbouttheCRC.html

I would love to see one of these built!

Here's the site's homepage:

http://www.cantileveredcoaster.com/index.html

I doubt the jump coaster would ever be built mainly because of the insurance issue already stated.

A coaster that I think would be cool would be a floorless and inverted coaster put together. First you are on top of the track with floorless trains and then the coaster attaches to inverted track above. The train would have wheels on the bottom and top of the train. I know this would never happen but I like to imagine it.

Alright look.....

It is the most awesome idea i have heard, but unfortunately not possible. I have too many people say it, no 2 riders are alike. the weight distribution would be off by so much. Even a small distance could be a big tragedy if the wheel slips up or down a couple inches, and the train halts, and innocent people get crushed. The idea is really cool and i would love to see it happen but right now i don't think its possible. it could be in the future but if we tried it now, it would just be a waste of time. When the time comes we may see this more often, but not now.

This was tried waaayyy back in the early 20th century. It works fine until the cars have people in them. The varying weight changes the trajectory of the car and it could get to the other side of the gap.

Or...well, use your imagination.

No "leap the gap" coaster. Anytime soon. Or ever.

Eric

I'm going to say that with modern technology we could come up with some overly elaborate and cost preventative system which could account for the varying weight distributions of riders, especially if you made the cars like Matterhorn where everyone sits in a row. Perhaps a section of track before the lift could weigh the car and check its weight distribution, which would then allow trims to be applied and perhaps a thin weight in the bottom of the car to shift so the weight is balanced. If you put this overly elaborate system inside you take most of the chance out of it.

Having said all of that, it will never get built thanks to insurance as many have said. Many people have mentioned that landing would be very rough, which is more than likely very true. Also there is almost no way you can prevent the riders from trying to rotate the car once airborne. Heck if you need signs on Ferris Wheels saying to not rotate the cars this thing is a recipe for disaster. Novel idea, but its not going to happen.

I doubt it could happen on a normal coaster, but wouldn't it be possible for a water coaster to fly off the track, travel through the air for a few feet, and then hit the water? That would require a lot less precision engineering.

The technology to make this safe and practical does not yet exist. There are also too many variables that can screw this up. You would have to be absolutely positively sure the train would land safely and correctly every single time without fail. Plus there would have to be failsafe and backup systems to ensure this. Then it would have to be insured. Too impossible but interesting.

Like most others I agree its far too complex or at least too costly for todays technology, regardless of whether you could insure it or not.

And if someone did build one, it would probably have tons of downtime, couldn't operate in anything but perfect conditions, be very rough, costly to maintain, would end up killing someone, to then to be reprofiled without the jump.