TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Vague Topics - ALL TPR MEMBERS - PLEASE READ THIS!!!

Obviously, here in Random, we allow discussion of many various things, within limits.

However, there's been a trend lately of creating what I'd call "Vague Topics", ie: topics with very little information in them.

Examples:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39292

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39235

When writing an initial post, please try to include good, relevant information. Some of us may not know what the topic you are starting is about, be it a video game, food item, band, computer, or whatever. The more information you can provide in your initial post, the better. You don't have to write an essay, but a couple good paragraphs that help explain what the hell you're talking about is preferred.

Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay at first, I was pretty annoyed at how you(yes you, Wes) would just lock certain topics cause they were 'too vauge' for your understanding, but going back and looking at the ones you locked vs the ones that aren't locked, I do see your point. My thing is I dont think the people who post them dont intentionally mean to post something pointless, as this IS a random thread. Technically we can talk about ANYTHING, right? I mean whats your definition of pointless anyways?

^ It's not so much a matter of how pointless something is. The message is that no matter how random and pointless your topic is, put some effort into crafting your post better.

Whether you get 1 or 1000 replies will always depend on the relevance of the subject matter to each reader, but it's no excuse to be lazy with your posts.

as this IS a random thread. Technically we can talk about ANYTHING, right? I mean whats your definition of pointless anyways?

Random just means non-coaster topics. Not literally anything.

The posting rules still apply for not posting for posting sake,etc.

• 2 weeks later...

For the most part, you guys do a very very good job. We try to maintain a pretty high level of posting here, but it seems to work very well. Go on other forums as large as TPR and you'll see how much crap posting there is. If I come across as dick-ish or harsh, just remember we're trying to elevate this forum above the usual coaster forum crap. I think it makes this forum more enjoyable and pleasant in the long run.

For the most part, you guys do a very very good job. We try to maintain a pretty high level of posting here, but it seems to work very well. Go on other forums as large as TPR and you'll see how much crap posting there is. If I come across as dick-ish or harsh, just remember we're trying to elevate this forum above the usual coaster forum crap. I think it makes this forum more enjoyable and pleasant in the long run.

^

I agree and that is one of the main reasons why I post on here instead of other forums!

^^

I agree as well and would like to give kudos to all of you moderators for doing such a great job. Even looking (let alone reading) at other forums just gives me a headache. Seems that you have to wade through rivers and oceans of crap to get to any information that might possibly be interesting. Not so here - so once again...Thanks!

Thanks to the TPR ASSistants, this forum is much better than a lot of others I have been in. When I first joined this, of course, being an immature 14 year old, I thought it was way too strict. But now, a year later, I see that these posting rules help so much. I may not have the biggest post count, but at least I can say the posts I have made contributed to the topic.

I have seen one to many coaster forums go to crap because there were topics and posts that were vague like Wes has described. But thanks to you Wes (and all of the other mods!), this forum is great. I hope those vague posters read this topic like Soren said! Once again, THANK YOU MODS! You do a GREAT job!

---Brent

We're trying to elevate this forum above the usual coaster forum crap.

But of course. We were the first forum to discuss rides... ON THE MOON in depth, after all.

And sorry, Wes, but try as you might, TPR still has more spam than the awesomeness that is the forums of State Showcase Funpark.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=JL1110&nav=start&prettyurl=%2FJL1110%2Fstart

You know, I'm surprised a mod hasn't used this old thing thats been floating around the internet. Although it was primarily made for another forum, I think it hammers in the key points more effectively.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

So informative and yet entertaining!!

I would also like to add that the strict posting requirements might help a few of the younger members pass their various writing competency tests. TPR...a true leader in building our knowledge of coasters, grammar, and dare we say it...life!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup, Agreed. I'm bumping it again...in fact, I'm even going to move it over to the main forum.

We now have 3 other topics on how to post to TPR - The ToS thread, The Posting Rules thread, the "Hey kids! Read this now!" thread and now this one!

It just amazes me that with so many reminders and guidelines on "How not to be an idiot" we get so many people who post total crap.

I mean, we aren't anywhere NEAR as strict or obnoxious as some other coaster/theme park forums *cough* *coasterbuzz* *cough* but we DO require our members to post somewhat well written, informative posts and threads.

I really don't think that's TOO much to ask, is it?

--Robb