TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wild Rides in Water

We were taking the terrible twosome to the new White Water World theme park here in oz yesterday, and myself and our youngest got a ride we were not expecting.

We were riding a two person Pro Slide water slide when half way down, the raft started to ride right up the walls, and I mean RIGHT up. To try to balance the raft out, I stupidly put out my arms to the side of the fiberglass slide. The only thing I was trying to do was to make sure my 5yr old stayed in the raft, and not thinking about the speed I was traveling (I would say...QUICK) at least not until the skin on my arm was no more in one spot.

To cut a long story short, I gave up on the raft, grabbed my boy and sat him in my lap, and let the raft ride us to the pool down below. Still trying to figure out how it happened, but the funniest part was that my son wanted to go again.....Without the raft.

On the plus side, hats off to the park staff, as they were right over to lend a hand and the first aid officers were perfect in every way....arm still looks a little bad now, will take a pic in the next day or too when it is not as gross....

Has this happened to you in a park, or have you managed to loose something in a slide that you would rather not have?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure why, but I can't ever seem to keep any sort of control while on a water slide. With raft slides, I'm always getting myself flipped over--which is why water parks make me a little uneasy. The last time I was on an really wild inner tube slide, I completely flipped over while going around a turn, and narrowly avoided smashing my face in!

Still, I just love water parks, but I usually prefer to float around in the lazy river, or remain safely anchored to the raft on a large, family-sized, multi-person slide.

Yeah, am all ok, have to keep the cover on it for a couple of days to make sure nothing is infected, but as soon as it comes off, I promise I will send pics.

Just realised that I have not yet sent a TR of the new water park and the new moto coaster at Dreamword in, so will do that in a fortnights time when we do our next visit. Promise

Which slide did you do it on, Was it the Temple of Huey, Or the little rippers?

The only thing I have really done on a slide is losing control and spinning around headfirst when I was 5 on the slides at Greenfields in SA (Near Adelaide), but I managed to right myself before I hit the splashdown pool (which are actually very shallow there)

Hope you are OK mate, seems like a pretty painful weekend, first this happening, and then having to put up with that awful motocoaster.

Never got to ride the moto coaster as the kids were bugging me to go to the water park, and there was some trouble with two of the trains restrants...

It was on the green snake slide in the Temple of Huey...and Jarryd still wanted to ride on it after it all happened, he was yelling and laughing the hole time...I was not

Still, I just love water parks, but I usually prefer to float around in the lazy river, or remain safely anchored to the raft on a large, family-sized, multi-person slide.

When i was in the biggest one of those in Wildwood new jersey, we packed in A LOT of weight and we were flying down the slide and of-course, since i weighed the least, while going up a turn i slipped out of the raft and i just did the rest of the slide with only my body, i wasn't hurt or anything and it was a really realy FUN.

On the Midwest trip, at Mt. Olympus. They have a yellow multi-person slide with the round circle rafts. Well, Taylor, Jacob, Jay and I were all sitting in the raft, Jay facing me. We were going around the turns REALLY fast so we were past 90° on some of them. Jay wasn't holding on during one of the turns and he flew towards me. I moved my head out of the way but his two front teeth collided with my left shoulder. So now I have a scar where his teeth hit.

Also, at Adventure Island (Busch Gardens Africa's waterpark) my brother and I were on a two person enclosed slide. We were going really fast and leaning into the turns... we leaned too far on one of them and the raft flipped over... head, meet plastic slide. Yeah, that wasn't fun.

Rock River Rapids. Derby, KS

The red slide. This thing has the most **INSANE** airtime. And when I say airtime, I mean it literally. You have to put your hands behind your head because you COME OFF OF THE SLIDE and slam back down on it. IDK how that guy on it is 1) On the slide. 2) Able to put his arms across his chest.

The blue one is a hell of a lot of fun too. All it does is an s-bend kind of thing and then a drop, but wow it is so much fun and I think the tube is going to fall off every time I ride it.

My first time on a water slide was around ten. I went to a park around Dayton Ohio with a friend and they had a half open/half closed tube you could ride with or without the mat. Dave says "It's slower if you use the mat, really." After ripping around the turns near the top edge of the channel for most of the ride, I hit the splash pool. Dave says "See? Great slide huh?" Could've HURT him, since I thought I was going to launch out of the channel during the really tight turns.

Sorry that happened to you, and glad your son wasn't scared during the whole thing.

The red Patriot's Plunge (inner tube slide) has a full double dip. It's a double rider raft, and with the weight of two people, the raft actually lifts off of the slide for a second. It was totaly awsome and scary!

wp_Patriots_640x480.jpg.114c04f325deee424ed1fc76de5bd540.jpg

The lethal double dip!

The Black Hole at Fresno's Wild Water Adventures is a black enclosed tube slide. There are two slides, a lower one and a higher one. The higher one starts off with a small drop and a turn; I fell off my tube on the first turn, and had to push myself all the way down. Thankfully, the paint is chipping off the tube so there was light, but I kept thinking, "Boy, I hope they don't send anyone down."

Why does everyone feel safer in the big rings? i nearly fell on my 7 year old sister while travelling around a corner at speed in one of them! She said I'd never looked so scared in my life... lol.

I have had experiences where iI feel I might just tip outta the ring, especially the master blaster slides with the water jets, I ended up going around backwards for the entirety of the ride... I then hit the splash pool and had the ring ripped out from beneath me... I got a few laughs and a round of applause from passers-by.

On The Amazon at Enchanted Forest in Old Forge, New York, me and my cousin were going down (it's a family raft ride) and we came around a corner to find a kid in the middle of the river who had jumped out of his raft. He was standing up yelling stuff at us and I tried to tell him to jump into our raft but we just mowed him down. He got dragged under our raft until we stopped up against the metal grates. He got a big gash on his stomach from it, and was almost kicked out of the park for jumping from his raft.

My incident ranks up there as one of the most embarrasing moments of my life. Last winter at Kalahari in Sandusky I was on the Flowrider. If you know me, you know that's quite a feat for me already. The employee is coaching me from the drain they stand on at the bottom, and I'm doing fairly good IMO.

Then she tells me to attempt a rollover, so I do. Well, I get all the way over and then...I lose my board...but that's not the embarrasing part. The embarrasing part was that I got turned around 180 degrees so the water jets were forcing my trunks off of me. I was able to get a grip on my shorts pretty quickly, but flipped over in the process, so now the current is still pushing trunks down, but I'm also starting to inhale water.

OK...this officially sucks!!

But thankfully I finally got a grip on the top of the FR's hill and pulled myself up to my knees, then the guy at the top of the slide reached out and pulled me up, (my other hand is still firmly holding on to my trunks!). As I'm walking off I look up and my daughter is looking at me almost about to cry, next to her is my father-in-law who is laughing so hard he's holding his chest.

I asked him how bad it was from where he was standing, and all he said was, "Kalahari just experienced a half-moon in the middle of the day!" Then broke out laughing again. I want to try the FR again, but I think I may try the private lessons next time, and tie the trunks a bit tighter.

When I was at Holiday World last summer, I went on the bumper boats with my little brother. When we came back to the station you have to park your boat in an available outlet. So being the last one in, I had to pick the only one left, which was on the very end. So I make my way over there, and there is this kid (looks about 5 years old) that looks like he has ants in his pants. I pull in and stand up. As soon as I put one foot on the concrete ride platform the kid jumps into the boat and begins to put the boat into a death spiral.

At this point I look like one of those lumber jacks who run on the spinning logs at the great outdoor games. I finally made one last leap, hopefully to safety, but no. I fall into the tinted green water that smells like bird crap. I quickly jump out of the water where I am meeted by a HW employee. He tells me to come over there and asks me if I am alright (I said yeah). I end up having to sign a realease waiver so I don't sue them, and now I officially hate little kids.

Never got to ride the moto coaster as the kids were bugging me to go to the water park, and there was some trouble with two of the trains restrants...

It was on the green snake slide in the Temple of Huey...and Jarryd still wanted to ride on it after it all happened, he was yelling and laughing the hole time...I was not

I thought it might have been cut snake, that really gets going towards the end, if you hadn't flipped out at the start that tight final helix would have got you.

And Re: Robbs comments, don't just post a pic of the gore, it is clearly avatar material you've got here.

I've seen a couple people come out of Coolangata Racers without the mats. I've never fallen off my tube but TUBING....ouch, that's a whole nother story.

At the Beach Waterpark there is a slide called Twilight Zoom. They used to have mats to go down one person at a time, but they switched it to a double tube. The slide is inclosed and makes a big S shape before going down a big drop. The turn out and down the hill banks the tube up SO high, I've seen two obese people flip over, along with some other people. It was really funny. Oh, and when you hit the water, there is a GOOD chance you will flip over.