TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood Photos & Video

Yeah, they're being extremely strict with photos at UO. The New Line characters even wear black robes for cast changes. Take a photo of them and you risk a lynching. You also can't have your camera out during Bill & Ted. At all. The staff will actually bring a COP over to give you a warning.

It is possible that New Line gave Universal the artwork and character rights of their property for creating new content (the mazes) and promotional use (use of the characters for billboards and other promotional media) only, not a full media license. I'm definitely not a lawyer, and all if is coming from the bit I learned from Business Law, but it is possible that Universal is allowed to use the characters, but if the image of the character taken and/or used by another party, for example guests of the event, then Universal can get sued for it under copyright law as a breach of exclusive rights.

As I see it, this whole event is a very funky version of brand licensing. New Line is licensing Freddy, Jason and Leatherface to Universal to create a new product, officially licensed mazes. As such, Universal has to play by the rules set by the license holder New Line. If they don't, then New Line will not be happy and Universal is probably feeling a lot of pressure to make this licensee happy. They've upset and lost some licensees in the past during this event, most notably Marvel. I'm sure with this license they don't want it to happen again. If Universal are found negligible in some way by New Line a couple things could happen: at the minimum New Line won't work them again for a while, at the medium to bad New Line can site the breach and take away the rights in the middle of the event which would cause a bit of a fire drill on Universal's part, at pretty darn bad New Line can sue Universal for breach of contract and possibly copyright infringement, and at absolute worse, all three.

I again repeat I am not a lawyer, just a loud mouthed business college student with a cockamamie theory. If anything, it's an interesting explanation.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ We always go on a Thursday night to avoid the really big crowds and we do it either the 2nd to last or the last week of October so that the event is really in 'full swing.'

So keep that in mind next time you plan your visit!

--Robb

I have so got to come to the USA for Halloween one year, it just looks so awesome.

Knott's seems to have a good reputation for Halloween Haunts but it doesn't sound like it's anywhere near as good as USH, and Magic Mountain I wouldn't expect that to be too good at all?

Wow, looks like KSF better watch out. HHNH definitely has them beat on pure quality, and if they can up the quantity, we might have a new Halloween Theme Park king.

I look forward to hitting HHNH up... even though it'll probably be the last Friday of October, which means it will be MAD crowded. Oh well.

So other than the Terror Tram, it sounds like camcorders/cameras were perfectly ok in the mazes and scare zones. That's good to hear.

This year....the moment we got off the tram "PUT YOUR CAMERAS AWAY! NO PHOTOS! DON'T LET ME SEE ANY CAMERAS OUT!!!" was shouted at us by multiple people!

!

The camera Nazis are out at Florida also. They are being VERY strict on video of B&T and the Rocky Horror Show review. Also scareactors in the streets rarely will pose for pictures, and there are absolutely no backstage photos.

^ The Terror Tram has some New Line chracters, but it wasn't a focus. They allowed photos and video in all of the New Line mazes, you just aren't allowed to use a flash or video lighting.

The only place in all of HHN where we were told specifically "NO CAMERAS!" was Terror Tram.

--Robb

We found that all we needed to do was flash our media wristbands and we didn't have a problem. But it was a little annoying having to yell that we're media every time we took a flash picture in a maze or a photo of any kind on terror tram.

^ I had to delete your first post because the photos you posted were WAY to big and against the sites TOS. Also, I would strongly reccomend you reading our posting rules:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21962

Your post has lots of spelling and grammar mistakes and would have gotten deleted anyway.

Nice photos, but are those taken in the mazes? I'm pretty sure the park rules are no flash pictures in the mazes. If you're breaking the park rules iwthout permission, that's also against our TOS.

We are looking forward to our visit to HHN Orlando later in the month.

Have you been to HHN Hollywood? I'm not sure you are able to make the claim of "Orlando's is better" without having visited both events.

--Robb "That's a claim we can make at the end of the month!" Alvey

^True. I would like to try to attend Hollywood's event one year. I like USH, it's small but I didn't fell overwhelmed when I went there. I took time my time and was able to do alot whereas in Florida it's so big you need a couple of days to see and do everything.

I think you west coasters are going to like orlando's this year; the houses are insane. Definitly do "The Thing" house, it was my favorite out of the three i got to go through lol. A Nightmare on Elm street as good but i couldnt see S*** and i only recognized a few scenes.

Also, find time for the Rocky Horror Picture Show! Scantly clad HOT people dancing around on stage singing...it was awesome

hahaha, well thats true! but what i heard orlando is better! hehehe... when u guys are comming... big fan of u here!! lol

Seriously, PLEASE READ our posting rules! http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21962

I don't want to have to delete your posts, but your style with no capitalization of words, all the spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes, and text message shorthand, etc, just isn't allowed on TPR, sorry.

Also, find time for the Rocky Horror Picture Show! Scantly clad HOT people dancing around on stage singing...it was awesome

What exactly is the Rocky Horror thing? Is it a live show? The movie? Does it have audience participation like the movie, etc? I know almost nothing about it.

--Robb