TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Really cool intamin drop tower

I found a really cool video on youtube of an indoor version of an Intamin 2nd generation style drop tower. It's located inside some sort of mall somewhere and looks realyl cool. Has 2 layers of seats stacked on top of each other which is unique too. Anyone been on this thing opr have any idea where it is?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3oyPsa3aTwM

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is so cool. I've never seen that before.

I'd imagine the rides so much more thrilling indoors when elevators and stairways are flying by feet away while you're falling. Gives you more perspective than being out in the open 300 feet above the ground.

Musics kinda corney though...edited in the 70's?

-J

Like the comments below say, it was at the Trocadero in London. Robb and I have been on it and you can find it in the opening to our 2002 Europe Video. As far as I know, it's been moved to a seaside outdoor park in the UK.

I always worry that the brakes won't kick in on these things.

I mean...it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the brakes will fail...and then...splat.

Actually, if I remember correctly, they are fail proof. They slow the care via magnetic forces caused by the car passing over the fins. The fine details on eddy current (magnetic) brakes can be found here while the page explains roller coaster EC brakes, the principle is exactly the same.

Imagine an Intamin 1st gen freefall, but twice as high. That would be amazing.

I never thought of that before, and I can't imagine it'd be anything but awesome. I always thought that bend ended the thrill just a little too quick.

It'd be a nice length freefall drop. Rough ending, that I wouldn't complain too much about (its what makes those 1st gens sweet), but awesome drop. All gravity. Siiiiick.

Not like those "artificial" Intamin drops that overdo it and pull you.

yeah...I was just there last week myself and tried to see if I could tell where the ride had been but there's no trace of it. The whole place is pretty empty now. The highest escalator is closed off and it seems the upper floors are all boarded up. Would have been cool to ride it.

-Derek

*Squee!* That's the pepsi drop at the passage arcade!(yes, that's the same place that everyone else mentioned), that was my first drop tower!

So sad they closed the place down. The floors that surround it are all one gigantic arcade, and in it there were simulators that could do full inversions.

Man, that thing was a SCREAM, After you go up into this room at the top a couple lights flash and blind you, and when you come to it you're dropping like a rock. I think I screamed so hard they heard me halfway to Blackpool.

Memories...

I always worry that the brakes won't kick in on these things.

I mean...it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the brakes will fail...and then...splat.

When they installed Dungeon Drop at SFAW, one of the first questions I asked was "what if the power goes out after we drop, but before the brakes kick in?" That was a real concern, since the previous year I had been stranded on rides three different times due to power outages.

I was told that the brakes worked on magnetic principles and that no electricity was needed. Apparently, the odds of the tower falling over are better than the brakes not working.

...or maybe they just told me that.