TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disciplining Children

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Floggings. Good old fashioned floggings. I also have a nice pile of stones, a large amount of tar, and bag full of chicken feathers if things ever get really out of hand.

Ok seriously, while I don't have kids, I was spanked when I was growing up and I turned out fine. I don't know if I'll spank my kids or not, but they will be disciplined. Privileges will definitely be taken away.

By grounding your children you force them to use their mind to come up with innovative ways of getting around it.

As a kid I became the master of finding loopholes in my parents punishments, and finding ways around. According years later to my Mom, it was through these actions that she figured someday I would become a lawyer.

Kids today, self included, are way too soft.

I can vouch for that. Joe was as squishy as the Pilsbury Dough Boy.

I'm called the Pilsbury Dough Boy...

Privaleges taken away, Warnings etc... I was spankzord as a child and it did nothing other than made me act worse...

One thing I can say is never, EVER spank or hit kids in any way. You're probably thinking right now that I'm just some snobby little kid who didn't like getting spanked, and I didn't like it all. In fact, the long term effects of corporal punishment outway the short term compliance with you, the parent. Spanking your kids will not only make them confused as to why your hitting them (i.e. they're told not to hit at school, but if they get in trouble then they get hit by you), even worse is that they will despise you, no matter how much they say they love you, every hit will make them despise you more. Hitting your kids also makes them more prone to aggression as adults, as well hitting there own kids, which just continues the pattern of aggression.

Spanking your kids will not only make them confused as to why your hitting them

If your kid doesn't know why he's being hit, then the kid is an idiot.

Spanking your kid should be the choice of the parent. Not the law telling parents how to parent.

There's too many kids that know their parents can't touch them, and because of that end up spoiled brats.

One thing I can say is never, EVER spank or hit kids in any way. You're probably thinking right now that I'm just some snobby little kid who didn't like getting spanked, and I didn't like it all. In fact, the long term effects of corporal punishment outway the short term compliance with you, the parent. Spanking your kids will not only make them confused as to why your hitting them (i.e. they're told not to hit at school, but if they get in trouble then they get hit by you), even worse is that they will despise you, no matter how much they say they love you, every hit will make them despise you more. Hitting your kids also makes them more prone to aggression as adults, as well hitting there own kids, which just continues the pattern of aggression.

You're thinking too hard.

I thank my parents for whooping my arse when I deserved it. I turned out just fine because of it, and I still love them both.

Precisely.

Are you a little angry at your parents for something?

Seriously, that's really opinionated. Whenever I did something bad, depending on the severity, I was spanked. I was never confused. I didn't despise my parents for it. I still love my parents. I got spanked, which taught me to be more careful with my actions. I never got into a fight with anybody growing up.

There's a huge difference between spanking and beating your kids. I'm not saying I'm going to, but I'm not going to pass an evil glare if I see somebody else give their kid a simple spanking. I turned out just fine. It's just knowing where to draw the line if you're going to spank your kids. As stupid as it may sound, I think most people understand when I say there is a big difference between spanking your kids and hitting your kids.

OK, so hitting is out. What about caging? Dr. Phil approves of that, right? You just lock the brat in a cage in the basement for 3 days every time he doesn't finish his dinner. Harvard studies show that it works.

Are you a little angry at your parents for something?

Of course not, I love my mom. The only thing I'm angry at is the archaic form of thinking that hitting children solves anything. I've babysit kids whose parents I know to use corperal punishment and they are scared to death that I'm going to spank them when they have done something bad. All becuase the children are testing their limits.

No, they're not. It's not why he's being hit, it's the concept of being hit. Like I said before, he's told not to hit other children at school or daycare, but if he does something bad at home, he's hit by his parents. That completely messes up everything he's ever been told at school. While I understand some of your thinking, it's just not relevant to this time anymore. There are better (and not to mention easier) ways of disciplining children.

It's not why he's being hit, it's the concept of being hit.

I'm not following that reasoning.

So little Johny is caught swinging the family cat around by the tail. Mother sees it and gives little Johny a spanking and a stern warning.

Johny isn't going to be thinking "But my teacher tells me not to hit. Why did she hit me??".

He's going to think, "Man, maybe I shouldn't swing the cat around by the tail".

But the real point I was trying to make isn't wether or not to spank. The problem is when the kid is told that the parent can't hit them. It's like a get out of jail free card.

hm, well it sounds like they won't be very willing do something wrong, so it worked!

But it only worked becuase it made them scared, which is not something that should happen. The children should know not to do something wrong, but they shouldn't be scared about it.

I think you have to teach your kids whats wrong before they go and do it, rather than punish them after it's done. I was never spanked. I've never been grounded. I know what my mom expects of me and that's enough to keep me in line.

I work at a library, and there's so many parents who yell at their small kids just for making some noise. What they should have done is early on, before going to the library say, "We'll be in the library and it's important that you are quiet." The kid knows what's expected of them, and doesn't need to test their limits.

hm, well it sounds like they won't be very willing do something wrong, so it worked!

But it only worked becuase it made them scared, which is not something that should happen. The children should know not to do something wrong, but they shouldn't be scared about it.

Yeah, but that's what any form of punishment does. Fear is how you teach kids not to do things. It's the fear that prevents them from doing it again. Kids don't like having things taken away from them either, nor do they like being locked in there room for a long period of time not being allowed to turn the tv on or anything. The lesson is, they won't do it again because they fear that will happen to them again. It's the same principle.

As for the case with the kids you babysit, that sounds to me like a case where the parents have crossed the line. I'm fine if you want to spank your kids, but don't cross that fine line. Again, I was spanked, but only when I did something really wrong. Otherwise, I was sent to my room or something. I was never terrified of my parents because they spanked me. I understood it was my punishment and if I didn't want to get spanked again, then I shouldn't do that again. Simple. No terror, just a lesson with that slight fear of another spanking.

I may be a teenager, and thus may not have the best idea of proper methods of "punishment" may be, but hey it's the internet, and I have my right to rant!

I have no clue why half the people are so worried about the mental trauma that may be cause when you spank you kids. If the father is a drunk lowlife, who hits their kids for not holding his ash tray in the right way (a bit exaggerated I know) then obviously the poor child is going to have some issues. However, spanking a child when they do something wrong, and the child already understands what he did, and why it was wrong, is perfectly fine, until I was 11 that's what happened to me when I did something really stupid.

The problem is that some parents don't do the right thing at the right time. The parent(s) should be able to determine the best action to take when a child is misbehaving, but half of them would rather OD on anti-depression pills, and give a half hearted speech to the child. In which case the child will just run rampage and loose his sense of proper judgment.

I say this because I personally know someone who has been living in a situation, where he would be given a generic speech, that he probably didn't understand/care about, every time he did something wrong.

If I were a parent, punishment would simply work like this:

If they did something wrong, but didn't know any better. The child would be told what he did, what the proper course of action would be, and they would be grounded from toys etc, for 1-3 days.

If they did the same thing again, the child would be locked in his room and grounded from toys, and friends, depending on the severity of the action.

Third time, spanking! Sounds a bit cruel, but by the third time, the child should understand, and if all goes well, the child will rarely ever reach this level.

That's a basic system that my parents used, and obviously it would vary greatly depending on context, but it works perfectly. I may have issues, but those are from school incidents that usually involved other people who weren't raised properly trying to jump me etc.

(Whew, that was long... )

I believe in late term abortion. Like up to the age of 18. Didn't do the dishes like daddy asked? Abortion time, bitch.

I'm for late term abortion, but against the death penalty.

Well that sounds like a personal problem.

/Mooninite voice

Contrary to what the tree huggers tell you, I believe that spanking is fine with a few guidelines:

1. Keep it to a minimum.

2. Keep it below the belt.

3. No "weapons" (belts, hairbrush, paddle, toaster, whatever). Your bare hand works just fine.

When they get to where they can understand you (about age five in our case), then the spanking stops and more creative punishments kick in.

Diana turned out to be the best kid a parent ever had. OK, so I'm bragging. But there was never a time when she didn't know why she was being punished, be it a swat or two or losing computer privileges, confined to her room, etc.

Eric