TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Getting away with a POV...

TwistedTrack

I feel like I need to add my two cents here.

There are going to be some parks that either don't care or will let you take POVs and photos. By all means be responsible when doing this. Just because you're allowed to take a video doesn't mean that you should recklessly disregard safety. If your camera has a neckstrap or wriststrap, wear it. If you can duct tape the camera to your hand, that's good. There is always the possibility of an accident happening, and in the worst-case scenario, somebody is dead, their family is grieving, you are responsible, and the park will no longer allow cameras.

A similar thing happened at Holiday World after the Stark Raven Mad 2003 incident. For those of you who don't know, a woman was believed to have unfastened her seatbelt and stood up while on the Raven. She was ejected from her seat and killed. Will Koch, the president of Holiday World, almost immediately issued a Zero Tolerance Policy - any violation of park rules means a permanent ban from the park. He explicitly said that if someone discusses sneaking a camera onto a ride on the internet, they will be banned.

This Zero Tolerance Policy extends to false and harmful information spread on the various Internet newsgroups and forums. This includes posting advice about how to defeat safety devices and how to sneak cameras (when forbidden) onto coasters. It also includes making libelous claims regarding park policies and procedures.

I believe that Robb has said several times that if a park asks for the information of a poster, he has no choice but to give it up because he wants to maintain good relations with the park. Come on. Be intelligent.

Also, I believe that it should go without saying that you shouldn't sneak a camera onto a ride if you aren't allowed.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It kills the atmosphere. That's why the Ghost Host on the Haunted Mansion tells you, "No flash pictures, please."

I completely agree with you - I've been on Pirates of the Caribbean with someone in the boat in front taking flash photos continuously and it ruined the ride for me.

• 1 month later...

To be honest, sneaking a camera on a ride without permission is just a dumb idea. Just ask, thats all you have to do!

Some park websites now have pages to allow you to book a session to film on-ride footage. I've done it before and it works. You get full permission to film coasters and you get a name tag too so that ride operators know that your allowed.

It's better than being banned from the park and possibly sister parks, including the chance of having your camera taken away and destroyed.

Robb knows best, and he says not to!

• 1 month later...

I'd love to do a POV, but does anyone know how strict Dreamworld/WhiteWater World are with cameras? I just got an Annual Pass and live around the area there. I want to take a couple of POVs next time I go, but I'm not exactly sure about how strict they are.... I've tried checking the website, but the only ride I'm pretty sure they won't allow cameras on is the Giant Drop...

^ Alright, thank you. I've never tried taking loose articles onto a ride before, that's why I wanted to check Because I read somewhere that Dreamworld was fairly strict about cameras. *shrugs*

Now that I think about it, the BRO at WWW I can't really do a POV of, since it's a racer and you have to lean forward on this mat to go down... The camera would slip out of your hand on purpose, even if you used duct tape. Shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note for all of you camera sneakers, not only do parks have policies about taking cameras and other loose articles on rides and coaster. Most states also have some sort of laws about rider responsibility. And being someone that works for a park as a ride Opp, I reiterate what people have already said. Just ask. If we say no it's only for your safety and the safety of your fellow riders. So don't get pissed off and make a big deal out of it. We are just looking out for you and the park.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if any of you have heard of the GoPro POV camera. It's available in regular and HD versions and is smaller than a cell phone in size. I heard about it few weeks ago when I saw they had opened a kiosk at my local mall. The salesperson told me that these are the exact same cameras used for skydiving and extreme sports POV videos. He said that it would work for rollercoasters too and won't have to worry about it being a loose article if you use a wristband mount.

http://www.goprocamera.com/

I saw a man use a camera similar to this on Colossus at SFMM. He had it strapped to his wrist in plain view when the ride op checked his lap restraint and the ride op didn't say anything about it. Rules can vary a lot by park though. Just in my local area, KBF is much more strict than SFMM.

Not sure if any of you have heard of the GoPro POV camera. It's available in regular and HD versions and is smaller than a cell phone in size. I heard about it few weeks ago when I saw they had opened a kiosk at my local mall. The salesperson told me that these are the exact same cameras used for skydiving and extreme sports POV videos. He said that it would work for rollercoasters too and won't have to worry about it being a loose article if you use a wristband mount.

http://www.goprocamera.com/

It is not always that the camera is a "Loose Article" it is that the camera is a CAMERA.

When a park, like Six Flags, Cedar Fair, or Holiday World say "No Cameras on the ride" they don't mean "No cameras on the ride unless it's not really that loose of an article" they actually mean NO CAMERAS ON THE RIDE!

You have to remember that these parks spend millions of dollars designing and building these rides. They own the design and the intellecual property that is the ride. Many times they don't want cameras on rides because they want to control how others see their property.

That and it is very dangerous to bring a loose item like a camera on the ride.

And sure, maybe YOU might know how to film on rides or have experience filming extreme rides and have the correct equipment to do so, the other people who are in the station, on the ride seeing you, etc, don't know that you have additional training and the right equipment and by them following your bad example, they may also try to take a camera on a ride and then end up hurting someone!

This is why when TPR films on coasters we do so normally under very controlled conditions - before or after a parks operating hours, etc.

Just more things to keep in mind. The last thing we want is to see anyone here banned for life from a theme park for doing something you've been warned about here on TPR.

--Robb

Question, if you are trying to get permisson, who is the person to ask? Like lets say I wanted to get POV of the new coaster "Whipper Snapper" at Six Flags Wally World (it got bought out after those pesky terrorists showed up and demanded to ride.) Would it be better to ask the Ride Op for permission, Customer Service/Guest Relations, Park Manager Roy Walley or SF Corporate?

I too have a question: I'm also a huge Waterpark enthusiast and always read the guidelines and the rules to see if there is anything about bringing loose articles on rides. If the guidelines don't say anything about bringing camcorders, or any loose articles onride, is bringing a camcorder on a waterslide permissible? Lets say if all the lifeguards at a waterpark let me film going down all waterslides, is this okay, should I contact the park owner first, or is it just not allowed at all?

^ How would you call filming the waterslide, while you´re riding it... isn´t the right description "on-ride"?

I guess they are only talking about filming, while lying on a beach chair...

Ok, sorry when I bump you, in my opinion it certainly apply to waterslides. But I´m note wise.

^I'm just saying, usually when I read the guidelines for roller coasters and waterslides, roller coasters specifically say "no cameras...", waterslides say "no loose articles...". Maybe camcorders apply to 'loose articles'. I guess not everyone is trying to bring a camera/camcorder onto a waterslide. My guess now is that even camcorders aren't allowed on waterslides.

Edited by Midgetman82

None of those (I've been called many things online, but this is the first I've been called 'Wise A$$'.). I won't try to bring one on any, I'll just film off-ride. Sorry if I am getting annoying.

I think Larry made it pretty clear and while you may not be doing it on purpose, yes your kind of coming off as annoying.

It took me about 45 seconds to find this on the Six Flags Website:

PHOTOGRAPHY

Cameras may not be permitted on rides. Please check at ride entrances for camera policies for each ride. Six Flags Hurricane Harbor requests that all photographs or videos taken by guests be used for their personal use and enjoyment only. Any use, reuse or reproduction for commercial purposes without the express written consent of Six Flags Hurricane Harbor is prohibited.

Go to the sixflags.com home page. Click the park you want. Click "Park Info". Click "Park Policies."

It's not hard to find.

--Robb