TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Getting away with a POV...

TwistedTrack

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bring my vid cam in, stash it in a locker, and take video only after I've ridden anything. I lost a video camera to Journey To Atlantis. I wasn't taking POV, but it was in my pocket, in a plastic bag, and it still got wet.

Luckily I bought it at Wal Mart, so they took it back.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't know that you had to get permission to film on rides. I went to WDW in 1997, and my Dad was ok to film on things like It's a Small World - didn't know it was not allowed. Nobody stopped us, and there were no signs saying "no camcorders allowed". Maybe the on-ride policy has changed? I'm planning on going to WDW next year, and wanted to film some of the rides.

Robb - if I do get permission to film, how can I make sure my video is as good as possible? Your videos seem really good quality in that they're focussing well and not swinging about. Also, do you need just to strap it around your neck and hold on to you video tight? Just thinking of things like Rock 'n' Roller Coaster where my hands might get bashed about and lose my grip.

Thanks.

I've never tried a POV because I don't have a video camera that is up to it. Anyways, I couldn't put it on my computer because it is one of those old cameras that stores it on a tape instead of a memory card. As soon as I get my video camera (hopefully in the next two years) I'm going to ask the parks if I can get permission to film on their coasters. Hopefully that will work out even though I don't have to worry about it for a while.

---Brent 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess maybe things have changed lately, but I got POV's on King's Island Racer, all of Canada's Wonderland coasters AND the Comet WHILE it was still at Crystal Beach! Didn't ask, but they knew I had a camera and what I was doing, and no one said anything including the operators. It was not a video but an 8MM sound film camera. I now have a Canon Elura DV (the first one, they've gotten cheaper since then) and tried it on the Clementsport NS "Tree Topper". One rough ride - and one messed up video! But the 8mm's turned out excellent! And I prize the Comet one. A real rarity from what I can understand. I've never seen another of the full ride, station to station, front seat, bright and clear.

garfent

The Disney parks dont normally care if you film. Ironically, I believe the only ride in the DLR that you cant film is the Tower of Terror, and thats for trademark reasons!

You can film Tower at WDW, I have never been asked to put the camera away on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Wyandot Lake

Strickers Grove

Coney Island (Cincy)

LeSourdsville Lake

Plus two coasters at the Ohio state Fair (Amusements of America)

I took POV photos and video on all of those (LeSourdsville was just film stills in 2002) without any problem, and none in violation of any park rule.

I don't do PKI POV because they have a strict rule against it.

The best bet is to ask permission. I know that Knott's (and Cedar Fair in general) prohibits filming on any coasters. In fact, you can't even bring anything on the train on any coaster except Jaguar.

Disney allows you to film on any coaster, so I don't ask with them.

SFMM is a bit of an odd one... some rides allow on-ride filming (like Viper and Revolution) while others don't, and they seem to change depending on if the ride ops care. For example, I've taken my camera on board Goliath before, even though a ride op was riding in the car in front of me. And then, other times, the ride op will spot my camera as I get on and tell me I can't take it... so I just stuff it in my backpack or put it on that counter right in front of the control panel.

When in doubt, though, ask. And if they don't let you, don't sneak it on. It's not worth it. Having been a former ride op myself, I know the dangers of loose objects as well. There was one occasion when I was running Supreme Scream (a turbo drop at Knott's Berry Farm). Standard policy is to always keep your eye on the tower, but I'd looked over to the side for a second, and that's when a cell phone crashed into the toe of my shoe, missing my head by no more than two inches. Not surprisingly, I immediately downed the tower and kicked the moron off. Turns out he had TAKEN HIS CELL PHONE OUT OF HIS POCKET because he wanted to hang onto it and prevent it from falling out.

- Albert "Irony at its near-miss best" Lam

• 3 weeks later...
SFMM is a bit of an odd one... some rides allow on-ride filming (like Viper and Revolution) while others don't, and they seem to change depending on if the ride ops care. For example, I've taken my camera on board Goliath before, even though a ride op was riding in the car in front of me. And then, other times, the ride op will spot my camera as I get on and tell me I can't take it... so I just stuff it in my backpack or put it on that counter right in front of the control panel.

It depends who's running it. I know last time I went to SFMM, they let me bring it on everything but Goliath. But technically SFMM isn't suppose to let you bring it on, but they don't really care. As for getting POVs permission, I think calling the park might help a little more than emailing them, because then you can explain to them personally what you want to do, and you can get more information, if need be, on how to get footage, or you camera on the ride.

I guess maybe things have changed lately, but I got POV's on King's Island Racer, all of Canada's Wonderland coasters

As long as I can remember CAnada's Wonderland has a strict no camera policy.

In fact I've seen them stop trains in the middle of dispatch if they see you holding one. This happened during my last trip a couple weeks ago when I was on Wild Beast. They stopped the train when it was half way out of the station to tell someone to put their camera away.

When we were at Canada's Wonderland we had no problems with cameras. Every ride op we talked to seemed to either say it was fine or simply not care. And considering that we're on the park's PR list and I've talked with them several times, it doesn't appear they've had any issues with photos or videos we've taken.

In fact the only ride that we had a problem with was Sledgehammer. It was kind of funny as the ride op checked my restraint told me "hold on to that tight" and the ride started. The about 3/4 of the way through the ride they brought us down, the ride op came over and said "My supervisor is here so I have to take that away."

And then he gave us another ride!

Not sure what the policy was because I don't read Canadian!

--Robb "But everyone was all 'hang on tight to that, eh!" Alvey

I'm one I've taken many video's over the years(20) some POV always with permision from the park. If you talk to the park they might let you do it. For me I like to go to media days, They usally need people to ride and some times you can get video. I had a few news station dub my stuff so they could use it on the news.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the park. But keep in mind, they usually won't even talk to you unless you have a somewhat reputable website or other media outlet. They have to be able to get something, like free publicity, out of the deal. They won't just let you film for your own reasons.

I've given up on asking. They never let me. Sooooo I just sneak it on. I've taken a full POV of every coaster at SFOG, every coaster at IOA, every coaster at SFMM, and every coaster at Knotts and I have yet be caught. I've also taken a full POV of Acrophobia...and I didn't get permission. Now that was nerve racking.

Why don't you show us somehow

Whenever I film a video of a theme park, I always use only off-ride footage. I've tried asking staff if I could shoot a POV and they've always said no. My Dad has recorded some POV Videos with his cell phone camera, but I myself feel it's too risky to try and sneak a camera on board, especially when you can get caught off-guard by things like on-ride photo cameras. I mean, don't you think that staff would get mad if someone suddenly showed up on the ride photo display holding a camera out in the open?

It takes a lot of skill to record a good POV anyway.

Super "Sorry, can't really help you there" Dasher