TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Getting away with a POV...

TwistedTrack

well i wish i found this section before i posted "sneaking cameras on rides" post in the wrong section...

I was under the impression that NO ONE could take their camera on a rollercoaster cos here in Australia they are that strict and NO ONE will get permission unless you get a park attendant who doesn’t know any better and they say "yes"

So i thought everyone here who had footage was "sneaking" the camera on. It sounded dodgy but i thought you were all doing it and was wondering how you did it.

Now i know all you have to do is ask and have a camera that is small and not likely to fall from your hands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed Alabama Adventure yesterday (friday) and asked permission. No response. Got to the park today and asked a ride op at Wild River Gorge. He didn't know but was going to check. When I went back later to ride, it was a no. I thanked him for making things clear and that, out of respect, I wanted to ask permission instead of forgiveness. As good faith gesture, put my camera in my hip pack and assured him it would stay there. Ride op was cool and understood.

Dunno why the clamp down on PoV footage in general (other than the parks charging $18 for dvd) but I thought since you folks ask permission, I should too out of respect for the parks and TPR.

Don't really agree with the no PoV thing, but it's not worth angering the parks or getting kicked out, and losing money on a pass. I wouldn't muddy a carpet with my shoes if the home owner had asked me to leave them at the door. Their house, their rules, or I can leave. Just that simple. Translation, ask permission kiddies.

• 2 weeks later...

I E-Mailed Mt Olympus and they said no in the response. But when I went to the park, I talked with all the Ops and they said yes. One just said, "don't drop it because I will not get it for you". And another said that if I hurt someone, I will be responsible.

I also had my first "no" at the Wisconsin State Fair. I was only able to film on some of the smaller rides and the Drop Tower. It seems like you cant film anything at parks anymore.

I asked if I could get a POV of Tennessee Tornado with my camera strapped to my hand. They still said no. I couldn't even put it in my cargo pocket.

I think there is another reason other than safety that you can't film POVs, like copyright for example, even though that maybe unlikely.

Despite what some parks think, zippers do not suddenly explode and cause the contents of that pocket to be expelled with no reason. Some parks really need to return to school and take a refresher course in physics. Not allowing people to ride with items in a zippered cargo pocket is excessive stupidty.

dt

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think Disney allows you to take cameras on ride, but #1 rule for me if I was to do it is ask.

As for still video. The only way to do it is to hand hold and well, some will shake, some won't. Robb's Pov, most of them, are done with a lipstick lense going into his camera to record video. The Lense is taped to the car, so the only shaking is from the ride itself. Since you probably don't have that, hold it as still as can be. That being said, at Disney, all their rides are mostly smooth, but other parks will be a issue.

BTW, there is a spell check feature at the bottom of the typing box to check your spelling, I noticed you had a few words misspelled (not that I have been guilty of that before)

Ride Operators would be good, I know on some rides at Disney World, you have to take your bags with you, so you should be able to do a POV on most rides that do this.

Also, check the the signs outside the ride. It will say if they are not allowed. I know at Holiday World cameras are not allowed at all (even though some do it anyway ) and other parks do not allow cameras on certain rides.

• 1 month later...

^You should still take POVs whenever you are allowed to. Robb and Elissa's POVs may be a lipstick camera, but it's still good to take your own POVs because not only can you edit it however you want to, you feel good about yourself inside because you filmed it. Plus if you keep trying, you'll get better and better at it. After 2 years of attempts I've finally taken a smooth CA Screamin POV.

• 5 weeks later...

I know this thread is old, but I just recently went to the DLR and had no problem. I was a little concerned because of the size of my camera. Video work is a hobby and side profession of mine. I shoot with a Canon XH-A1. I emailed a Disney PR rep and they said I should have no problem, however, it was at the discretion of the ride op. I had no problems at all aside from the looks I got from passerby's. I even took it on California Screamin' with no problems.

XLG1-1.jpg.66649b73731894a31f68fc83842f5c22.jpg

Kind of a large camera, but well worth the incredible video quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think asking permission to film shows at a park is a good idea? If so do you think they might let you get into a show before other people?

By the way My opinion on sneaking contraband on a ride is the dumbest thing to do. I just got a new Canon XH-A1 "guess what guys I am bring my camera this roller coaster, opes ride op." hides it up his sleeve. Ride starts leaving the station "coasts clear." takes out camera turns it on and starts to record. almost at the top of the 250 ft drop. "hey lets film my face." slip

bye bye $3000 camera.

worst part about it is your at fault and you can't do anything about it because the rules at certain parks protect themselves from stupid people.

Basically why risk it.

But if anyone can answer my original questions that would be great.

Stay smart Y'll

• 2 weeks later...

I'd never attempt a POV myself, not because the parks say not to, but because I'd probably drop my camera.

I don't have a video camera, I use my Canon S3IS for some video, I just need more memory for it.

I took an off ride video of Vortex at Canada's Wonderland last year and it turned out quite nice. I just wish I knew where I put the video I uploaded.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you think asking permission to film shows at a park is a good idea?

I wouldn't do it, but it depends on the park, AND how well your relationship is with them. The worst that can happen is you get told "NO", right?

But yeah, guys. Don't sneak a video camera on. It's not cool if a ride op has to throw anyone off a good ride... let alone out of the park.

• 3 months later...