TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Getting away with a POV...

TwistedTrack

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed DLR to see what their rules were, and this was the email they sent back...I love DLR!

Dear Brandon,

Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort.

You are more than welcome to take pictures and film in the Happiest

Place on Earth. At times you will be requested to shut off your flash.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you will have the

opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND® Resort soon and trust your visit

will be pleasant in all regards.

Sincerely,

David Haynie

DISNEYLAND® Resort

Guest Communications

Looks like they are pretty open to filming! Now the PGA email on the other hand...

^ I'll second that. Licensing issues outside of Disney's jurisdiction are what prevent filming on Tower of Terror.

I will say that the ride's tendency to drop and shoot up without warning can also make filming a safety hazard, since you might not expect the direction of the force and lose your camera.

1. Dont Drop it!

2. Ask permision if you are ALOUD to bring it on.

3. If your not aloud, sneak it on, IF you want to risk getting kicked out of the park. (i wouldnt)

4. Dont get it wet.

5. Hold it tight and dont let it bounce araound. So that the video will not be all shaky.

Now, I have never brought a camera onto one, but i would think these would help.

-Shawn

3. If your not aloud, sneak it on, IF you want to risk getting kicked out of the park. (i wouldnt)

Its best to just respect the rules of the park and if they say no then don't record.

_six

I was on a giant-swing flat ride and there was a kid filming on his phone. They stopped the ride and removed him from the ride and luckily, they started the ride again so I didn't miss out on the ride. But anyway, that shows you that a lot of the time, you will get caught and removed form the ride/park.

see its people like that that ruin it for people who are safe. If you look at You Tube there are many dumb (middleschooler 'ish') people who film with there phone. And you can Tell that ALL of the time they snuck it on. And that is bad for us 'geeky safe enthusiasts' who want to do it for a hobby and will be responsible.

I fully understand that this post will mostlikely be deleted (and big-up's to R&E&Goons for the great job they do monitoring), but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway.

^ See that's the catch. You shouldn't get caught if you're smart about it. Filming on a ride like a swing is effing retarded. You're asking to get caught!

If you're going to film on a ride "illegally", then use your freakin' head! Be smart about it! Anywhere that there is a camera or an operator that could possibly see anything, hide it. Hide your camera from on-ride photos, lifthills, and brake runs - plus the (even more) obvious places like in the queue and while entering/exiting the station.

Disclaimer: It's not my place to tell anyone whether or not they should or shouldn't follow the rules. I don't work for a park, and quite frankly I'm pretty apathetic. It's your choice - You're all big boys (and maybe a few girls), and you should be smart enough to make your own decisions. I follow the rules now... Although I freely admit I was pretty stupid back in the day. If you want to risk it, then no-one will change your mind. You'll eventually have to suffer the consequences on your own... And there are always consequences.

Personally, for me the whole "sneaking around" thing got pretty old. I'd rather just enjoy my day, ride a few rides and have a couple beers rather than watch my back all day long and try and have an alibi. Ya never know who's following and watching you... Just trust me on that. LOL!

Please note that, while I'm not going to tell people what they should or shouldn't do while at a park, just like I'm not going to tell people how they should drive, what crazy diets you should or shouldn't be on, etc, etc, this site does not condone such a thing as sneaking cameras on a ride.

Ask permission. That's the way to do it.

--Robb

So does that mean you ask every park you go to for their permission?

Please note that, while I'm not going to tell people what they should or shouldn't do while at a park, just like I'm not going to tell people how they should drive, what crazy diets you should or shouldn't be on, etc, etc, this site does not condone such a thing as sneaking cameras on a ride.

Ask permission. That's the way to do it.

--Robb

So does that mean you ask every park you go to for their permission?

The answer is bolded.

I just E-mailed Knott's Great America's Guest Relations about onride filming asking:

Hello, I was wondering if I could do some onride filming on my upcoming visit in May. I'm asking in advance for permission to do so. Being a coaster enthusiest, it is of one of my highest interests of doing both onride and offride filming/photography. Thanks in advance.

We'll see what they say...I'm (hopefully) visiting KGA in may.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^What I do is first look for any signs that say "cameras, etc. prohibited on ride." Then if I do not see any I take my camera and hold it in clear view for the ride ops to see. If they don't say anything, then it's probably ok. If they object to you bringing it on, then there is probably a no camera policy.

At SFMM, I have brought my camera on three coasters: Riddler, Ninja, and Revolution and the ride ops never say anything. On Scream and X there are signs that say no loose articles including cameras. However my friend made a POV on Scream, so the ride ops must be either very lenient or just oblivious.

• 3 weeks later...

^

^What I do is first look for any signs that say "cameras, etc. prohibited on ride." Then if I do not see any I take my camera and hold it in clear view for the ride ops to see. If they don't say anything, then it's probably ok. If they object to you bringing it on, then there is probably a no camera policy...

Or, here's a thought. Robb has only said about 400 times in this thread to just ask. Why bother "testing" whether there's a policy when you could know in advance just by asking?

And ^^ I emailed Hershey earlier this week, so when I get a response, I'll post it and let you know.

^
^What I do is first look for any signs that say "cameras' date=' etc. prohibited on ride." Then if I do not see any I take my camera and hold it in clear view for the ride ops to see. If they don't say anything, then it's probably ok. If they object to you bringing it on, then there is probably a no camera policy...[/quote']

Or, here's a thought. Robb has only said about 400 times in this thread to just ask. Why bother "testing" whether there's a policy when you could know in advance just by asking?

And ^^ I emailed Hershey earlier this week, so when I get a response, I'll post it and let you know.

how is that testing them?

1. There obviously not a rule.

2. The Ops will see the camera.

3. If there is a rule they will tell him to put it away.

4. He is not sneaking a camera on so he isnt breaking any rules -or- testing the Ops.

Although, if you are able to bring it on without problems...you proabaly can ask and still film.

There is a loose articles policy and I might be going sometime in late July/early August and I hope to get enough footage to create a music video. Since mine is a new video camera, I wouldn't plan on taking it on any looping coasters.

When I went about 5/10 years ago, I rode skyview with a disposible camera; it was in clear view and nobody said anything to me.

At SFMM, I have brought my camera on three coasters: Riddler, Ninja, and Revolution and the ride ops never say anything. On Scream and X there are signs that say no loose articles including cameras. However my friend made a POV on Scream, so the ride ops must be either very lenient or just oblivious.

I will tell you right now that Six Flags does NOT allow cameras on any roller coasters at any parks.

--Robb

I always e-mail or phone the park to ask about on-ride filming before I go.

Most parks will say "no" - if they do then fine, I end up doing more off ride filming and photo's instead.

I don't want to get on the wrong side of the parks so what they say goes...hopefully in a few years this will pay off and they will let me do some filming. Who knows!

• 4 weeks later...

I just received a email from DLR...telling me that I CAN'T film on High-Speed Rides....Elissa I thought we could?

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort.

For safety reasons we ask our Guests not to film while experiencing our

high speed attractions. Cast Members at all of our attractions will

spiel camera usage.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you will have the

opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND® Resort soon and trust your visit

will be pleasant in all regards.

Sincerely,

Linda Trump

DISNEYLAND® Resort

Guest Communications

/Cr98\

That's odd, I've never had a ride op say anything about a camera at the DLR, on any rides with the exception of Tower of Terror and Soarin. I walked right onto Screamin cam in hand in the front row with 2 or 3 ride ops that could easily see the cam, and they didn't say anything. When in doubt, ask the ride-op