TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Getting away with a POV...

TwistedTrack

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Yeah, don't drop it!

Seriously though, 'sneaking' on cameras is so 2 years ago!

Just either ask permission, arrange it ahead of time, or film coasters that dont have stupid policy's!

Elissa "it's easy!" Alvey

I've given up on asking. They never let me. Sooooo I just sneak it on. I've taken a full POV of every coaster at SFOG, every coaster at IOA, every coaster at SFMM, and every coaster at Knotts and I have yet be caught. I've also taken a full POV of Acrophobia...and I didn't get permission. Now that was nerve racking.

Please note that, while I'm not going to tell people what they should or shouldn't do while at a park, just like I'm not going to tell people how they should drive, what crazy diets you should or shouldn't be on, etc, etc, this site does not condone such a thing as sneaking cameras on a ride.

Ask permission. That's the way to do it.

--Robb

Hey guys,

Here is another useful tip. If you plan to sneak your camera on rides, DON'T POST ABOUT IT!!!!

Because you've just given the parks all you need to throw you out. For example, ddaver177, if IOA saw your post, and emailed me and asked them for your contact information, I would have no choice than to give it to them. I have a good relationship with that park and I'm not about to jeaprodize it.

It's like I said, this site does not condone such actions, however I'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't do at parks. That's up to you. Follow the park rules, ask for permission, and be prepared to deal with the consequences if you are caught doing something you shouldn't be.

Going on an internet website admitting that you plan on breaking park rules is about as smart as someone robbing a liquor store, then going online and bragging about it.

--Robb "Not smart" Alvey

So they're gonna hunt down every Dave Whatever in his area because of what he says on a message board? You don't have to give your address or phone number or anything. While I don't condone it either, he can't really get in trouble for saying something as simple as that on the computer, and I highly doubt IOA reads these message boards.

^ Ok, since you don't seem to understand that it's not appropriate for people to come on a message board and brag about breaking park rules, we'll just make this one simple rule.

"If you're going to make a post bragging about breaking park rules, which includes but it not limited to: sneaking cameras on rides, line jumping, standing up on coasters, or any other park rule, you're account will be deleted and your IP address banned."

I can tell you that parks we have relationships with DO read these boards and if they were to see that we were allowing people to discuss how they intend on breaking park rules, we would not be able to bring you the updates we do. And I am NOT going to jeaprodize my relationships with the parks or our site because a couple of people want to go around breaking park rules, then come on here and brag about it.

Is that clear for everyone?

It's like I said, you wouldn't go on a Ford Mustang board bragging about how you just stole a brand new GT Convertable, so why would you come on this board bragging about how you are going to break park rules?

--Robb "I think that's fair, right?" Alvey

You can always use a mini-sport-cam. The actual camera stays in your pocket, all you have to do is hold the little lense, attatch it to your clothing, or buy one attatched to glasses or hat. I've seen 2 of these in retailers, and there's lots of them on the internet. There are even mini-cam kits to use with exsisting digital camcorders. (Must have a mini-A/V input) Why risk killing your cammera, injuring others, or getting kicked out of a park for breaking rules, when you can just hold the lense?

^ Usually is probably not the right term. If you ask, you will be told "No" ... a lot. But, that isn't to say that they're not ways to get a POV "the right way".

I know that Robb makes arrangements with the park before he goes, but this will not work for just anyone. He has worked for a long time to build a reputation and following for his website (almost 10 years). In the end, please respect the parks rules. Since a certain incident in 2003 the parks have had a close eye on the enthusiast community and too much of the wrong behavior in the parks runs the risk of ending ERT, Cons, Events, Etc .... for GOOD!

Not to mention, if you want POV's so darn bad, just ask the marketing people at the park! Heres my reply from Bush about asking permission to take onride shots:

Carl,

I appreciate your asking us about bringing equipment on the Coasters.

Unfortunately, due to requirements from the manufacturer, and our own experiences, no cameras of any type are allowed. We have had problems in past years with guest being struck by loose cameras, cell phones and the like. As one might expect, we had claims filed against us, and occasionally, litigation was filed.

Not to mention, the equipment was destroyed.

Our marketing department has footage, you can check with them.

Sincerely, [Name and personal info censored for privacy.]

Guys,

Seriously. Unless you are a member of the media, that includes: television, newspapers, magazines, online publications with a solid reputation, you are just wasting the parks time...and yours.

Instead, this is what I recommend to help build your sites reputation.

Start with good photo updates or if you want to do videos so bad, do them WITHOUT pov! You don't need POV to make a GREAT coaster video!

For example, everyone loved our Hersheypark/Storm Runner video, and there wasn't any Storm Runner POV in it at all!

Websites are going to be the lowest priority for most parks because there are so many of them out there. Unless you are one of the top sites on Google (for example, Google "theme park videos" and you'll see who comes up first!) in the first couple of pages, most parks won't give you the time of day.

If you want to build your sites reputation it takes TIME. Seriously. It takes LOTS of time and patience

For example, even this site has only recently reached the threshold that it's at, and we've been around for 9 years! It didn't happen overnight. It's been a very long-term investment for us.

Keep that in mind when asking for filming or any other special permission and don't be upset if you are turned down. That should just give you an incentive to strive to do more work on your site!

--Robb "Who will always help people out because I want to see as many GREAT coaster sites out there as possible!" Alvey

I searched "Theme Park Videos" and sure enough there is Robb at the top.

Just out of curiosity, I checked to see how far I was buried (must admit that I don't really target that term) and sure enough there I am on Page 29.

Wait a second ... it is a link to this site. :shock:

cf_tprlink.gif.d2fdea960090829a5c029cc28b03e010.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I know myself and many another ride op who could careless about you taking a camera on the ride. But as rules do say they can hurt people and or the operators. I mean hurting another guest is one thing but you hurt a Op your going to have problems.

Not to bring up bad memories or anything but I feel this could be a good lesson for you guys and gals out there...

Rob came to busch and rode on my ride SheiKra. He got a onride and I procided to yell at him and well threaten him. Only cause I had a bad experance wit ha camera and the back of my head one time. So after he explained he has permission form PR I apologized knowing that he had went the right way. This is also something to note if your with the PR people and what ever your doing is going to make the park look good you would be suprised as to what they might let you do...Rob got his cam on the ride diden't he? PR gets in to it with us ops from time to time. But if you go the right way you will get what you want one day...

Sorry again rob but I had to bring it up so people know just how a op can feel when a camera flys off a certin invert coaster at bgt and gets nailed in the back of the head and had a mild concussion and bleeding...

Its all good tho its how us ops role...

So Robb seem to be our only hope to get more wonderful videos over the years. Not his DVDs, because they just contain some few of the rides. I hope there will be one day to get all of those directly from here.

And for this asking permission: You Robb may getting permission (whatever you write those park PR). Sure you could tell them not to make their park very popular if they don't allow you, or telling them to make it for the most recents park to visit at your site. But what is with your party you got with yours ?? Did everyone got this permission, too ???

Here are some parks that have allowed me to take cameras on rides:

Knoebel's

Miracle Strip Amusement Park (now closed)

Dania Beach Hurricane

Waldameeer Park (or people have told me)

Conneaut Lake Park

WDW (except for Stitch Encounter, the 3-D movies, inside the elevator at TOT, Soarin', and RnR Coaster)

Disneyland Resort (except for Soarin', inside the TOT elevator, and the 3-D movies)

SFMM (on Golitah, Colossos, Ninja, Goldrusher, and Canyon Blaster)

The best thing to do if you're not sure is to ask, read the warning signs, or just don't shoot video on rides. If you do shoot videos on rides, hang on tight to your camcorder. I usually hold onto my Sony DCR-HC30 camera with both hands.

WDW (except for Stitch Encounter, the 3-D movies, inside the elevator at TOT, Soarin', and RnR Coaster)

Disneyland Resort (except for Soarin', inside the TOT elevator, and the 3-D movies)

Strange how I got all those TOT Movies and some from the 3D Parts.

Hmm...I did get Philharmagic on video. With the 3-D movies and in the elevator at TOT, the CM made a clear announcement that no videotaping was allowed. Oh well...

RnR Coaster is strange in their videotaping policies. Sometimes you can videotape in the preshow room and other times you can't.