TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Getting away with a POV...

TwistedTrack

I got shot Down at BGT when I was there....they even told me I could not film Gwazi from the exit ramp...very rudely too.

JEFF

Yea, when I went last summer they were kinda hissy about shooting from the ramps and wouldn't even let bags into the queues but that just shows what a quality park they have, or insurance fund cuts.

I'm headed down there Tuesday so we'll see again. BTW, I contacted BGA and they are sending me the stock onride footage of the coasters tthere. It may not fit in with the amatuer flow of my videos, but at least they're there.

Thanks Elissa for the tips and basics of what to say on the phone.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't ask permission, I just sneak them on. I got caught with it on Thunderbolt at SFNE, and all I got was a nice reminder that I shouldn't bring loose dtuff on rides. I had the camera bag inside my coat and the ride op saw my strap. Oh well! I had a great POV of Yankee Cannonball but it got deleted by mistake!

Here is my motto: Never ask for permission, just do it. You can always say that you didn't know it wasn't allowed.

You sound like a lovely person. I'll invite you to my next tupperware party.

I don't ask permission, I just sneak them on. I got caught with it on Thunderbolt at SFNE, and all I got was a nice reminder that I shouldn't bring loose dtuff on rides. I had the camera bag inside my coat and the ride op saw my strap. Oh well! I had a great POV of Yankee Cannonball but it got deleted by mistake!

Here is my motto: Never ask for permission, just do it. You can always say that you didn't know it wasn't allowed.

You sound like a lovely person. I'll invite you to my next tupperware party.

Ha, you don't want him at your tupperware party. I will say that this bowserjoe guy is a virus on a few dozen coaster sites. Mostly the ones in the north east, sfne.com (7 or so times), canobiefan.com, Lakecompounce.org, gadv.com, and the unofficial site for The Great Escape. All those site's he has been banned from.

All he does is post pointless posts, incorrect facts, flames members, and junk like what you saw above, stuff that is of breaking of rules and regulations. I'm glad he got banned from TPR because we don't need members like that.

robbs right you guys i am a former employee of sfmm and i have a lot of ties to the park so dont come on here and shoot your mouth off about breaking park rule and do the right thing and call the park and ask them for permission i can tell robbs put a lot of hard work into making friends with the parks all over the world and to do somthing like braging about sneaking a cam in to a ride is poor judgement on those who will attempt it

and one bit of advise if anyone here who does break park rules and is a current sfmm play pass holder will have thier pass revoked if they find out so one last time ASK PERMISSION AND FOLLOW THE RULES

e04d.jpg.f4bfe4d1f1a85f8a0dec1087232e1949.jpg

• 1 month later...
Not to mention, if you want POV's so darn bad, just ask the marketing people at the park! Heres my reply from Bush about asking permission to take onride shots:

Carl,

I appreciate your asking us about bringing equipment on the Coasters.

Unfortunately, due to requirements from the manufacturer, and our own experiences, no cameras of any type are allowed. We have had problems in past years with guest being struck by loose cameras, cell phones and the like. As one might expect, we had claims filed against us, and occasionally, litigation was filed.

Not to mention, the equipment was destroyed.

Our marketing department has footage, you can check with them.

Sincerely, [Name and personal info censored for privacy.]

As much as i LOVE POV's. it is dangerous! I was missed by about ten feet by a cell phone that came flying off Superman in SFGA last week. I happened to see it and tell the DJ to get it for the unappreciative guy. I would have been ultra pissed if it hit me, AND if it hit me and was a camcorder, which is bigger and heavier...that phone came flying down. Imagine something heavier! So there are reasons for the rules.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose that rules me out for a few years until I'm a bit older... I'm only 13 and I doubt that any park would actually let a 13 year old film an on ride video.

I guess it's just going to be off-ride video for a while!

unless...

I somehow get into the Alvey possy and travel the world to get mad crazy POV's!

-- Golf "Total Robb Alvey rip off" freak

Too I have seen people sneak cameras on rides. For example: The Excalibur at Valleyfair!, I was in the back seat, and I saw this guy farthur up the train turn back with a camera, and take a quick picture of someone behind him.

I'm going to Valleyfair! soon, and I want to try to ask if I can take an onride P.O.V. of the rides. If they say no, I'm O.K., because I will understand.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even bother trying to get a POV, so I simply put my camera away when I ride a roller coaster. This is because I saw some person get clammered (<- clammered... lol) at BGA and kicked off the ride for having a camera...

Getting a POV isn't much of an interest for me. I'm mostly just interested in getting pictures and off-ride videos of rides.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I may have asked this before a while back but I'm gonna ask again to reassure myself. I plan on heading off to SFMW and SCBB in July. I'm planning on most likely getting offride footage of SFMW as I know they're probably going to enforce their 'loose article' policy. (I'll ask anyway and tell them that it's footage for the next TPR contest.)

On the other hand, does anyone know how SCBB is about taking cameras on rides? Again, I'll ask but would kinda like to have a rough idea ahead of time so I can decide whether if it's worth bringing along or not...though I'd probably end up doing some offride footage. Thanks in advance...and by the way, I'm heading to SFMW July 22 and July 16 for SCBB.

Ok guys, wish me luck. Tomorrow, (Not the 16th) I'm off to SCBB and plan on doing my first POVs of Giant Dipper and some of their dizzying flats. For storage on my camera, I'm using a fanny pack so things should be secure when I'm not filming. Not trying to be lazy (I tried searching) what tips would you recommend when doing a POV? (Such as holding the camera and keeping it secure) Again, wish me luck and I'll get videos posted ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

i usually have my shoulder strap wrapped around my arm and hand. I never actually put my hand in camera hand strap, because then I can turn the camera around (to face myself or others), and I wont loose my camera. When I am not filming on rides (just walk around), I have the shoulder strap around my neck and have my hand in the hand strap.

like this...

strap.jpg.b1e970f7dadaf5daae4dd1dca02e0792.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
doesn't holding a camera in your hand and concentrating on keeping it steady kinda take away your ability to enjoy a ride? isn't it better to just sit back and enjoy a coaster instead of filming it?

Absolutely it does. But I happen to enjoy the filming and editing of coaster videos almost as much as I do riding coasters. It's kind of like saying two hobbies have clashed together!

--Robb "I usually try to take one or two rides on coasters I really like without filming so I can enjoy them." Alvey

^ I agree.

filming on ride takes a lot away form the ride itself, but, I am to the point that I almost enjoy filming and editing more than riding. I spent a lot of time trying to get some good POV shots on my last trip to Silverwood, but, like Robb, I set aside a few rides on each coaster to just enjoy and not worry about filming. Anymore, I can have just as much fun at a park just walking around taking pictures and video. It really is amazing what you notice when you are focused on taking video and pictures. I love it.

• 4 weeks later...

It must be cool filming your own movies about amusement parks and roller coasters! I would too if I had a video camera that could download video to my computer! But hopefully after Christmas I will go buy one for the 2007 amusement park season!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree on everything that Robb says about breaking park rules, bringing cameras on roller coasters as one of them for most coasters. One of the reasons for that is because you might accidently let it go of it and it flies backward and hits someone in the face. Like one time, I remember riding Millennium Force at Cedar Point and a cell phone flies right past me on my right side. You shouldn't bring anything on roller coasters that is not (extremely) secure and not holding it in your hand.