TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Getting away with a POV...

TwistedTrack

Can you take a camcorder on Cedar Point's Skyride? Somewhere I heard you could, but on the website it says you can only record on the train.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

I actually didn't know that. I went to CP and took many videos and pictures on the sky ride. But, they didn't say anything. Oops.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite honestly it's not the factor you having a secured camera at all. There are no trade secrets or privacy issues. The bottom line is that if you have a camera then they now have eyes that can post to the internet any neglect or accidents that may occur at the park. It just may happen your camera catches that one day when a car goes off the track. They then won't have control over that camera because they don't own it. So the "easiest" way out is to ban them all together. Regardless if it's secure or not. You can claim safety and you would be right. That secure GoPro attached to your chest via four straps is a liability issue to the park.

It goes along with filming police doing their jobs. Look at all the videos of out of control police. To stop or slow that the police claim it's for their safety and you are interfering. I say always question authority. Always ask for where the law is stated or the manual at a park that says no cameras. I've had instances where my answer was it was what I was told and I'm just passing it along. Very few cases where the employee would show me any memo or page in a manual stating no cameras.

Quite honestly it's not the factor you having a secured camera at all. There are no trade secrets or privacy issues. The bottom line is that if you have a camera then they now have eyes that can post to the internet any neglect or accidents that may occur at the park. It just may happen your camera catches that one day when a car goes off the track.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the reason parks don't allow cameras on rides has nothing to do with the off chance you might catch a video of a car going off the track.

Quite honestly it's not the factor you having a secured camera at all. There are no trade secrets or privacy issues. The bottom line is that if you have a camera then they now have eyes that can post to the internet any neglect or accidents that may occur at the park. It just may happen your camera catches that one day when a car goes off the track. They then won't have control over that camera because they don't own it. So the "easiest" way out is to ban them all together. Regardless if it's secure or not. You can claim safety and you would be right. That secure GoPro attached to your chest via four straps is a liability issue to the park.

It goes along with filming police doing their jobs. Look at all the videos of out of control police. To stop or slow that the police claim it's for their safety and you are interfering. I say always question authority. Always ask for where the law is stated or the manual at a park that says no cameras. I've had instances where my answer was it was what I was told and I'm just passing it along. Very few cases where the employee would show me any memo or page in a manual stating no cameras.

Did you really create an account just to post this? Do you really believe this? SMH

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I get that filming your own POV isn't allowed. I'm cool with that. However, say you're making a video project and you want POV footage of a ride. I don't see any problem with using an official POV that a park or other media service shot, as long as you ask permission and credit your source in your video.

• 1 month later...

There are many parks in Europe where it is allowed to take your camera in all major attractions. Parks such as Parc Asterix, The Efteling, Skyline Park, Bellewaerde, Every park in Austria or Bobbejaanland ... if you know that you can take your camera in B&M's, Gerstlauers and Huss giants ... then it's not necessary to do this if no one sees you. And there has never been an accident in any of these parks... most accidents happen because onriders put their cameras ready in lift hills and don't have the chanse to hold their camera like they should/ not find the right grip on time. In parks where it allowed for POV's... in more than thousands attempts, no accidents happend or will happen at any time. And if you drop your camera...than it's your own riks.

People watch too much tv...after the movie FD3 everyone went crazy when they saw a camera in my hands. But did you know that the onrider left his seat and the accident happens anyway without him? You can't escape death's design anyway.

In parks where it allowed for POV's... in more than thousands attempts, no accidents happend or will happen at any time. And if you drop your camera...than it's your own riks.

But in the US if the dropped camera injures another passenger, the park will be sued for neglect. So it is not just your risk it is the park's risk.

• 1 month later...

US has a big difference with Europe I believe. Beside Merlin Entertainment, European parks are quite easy with POV videos. But I plan a trip to multiple Merlin parks next year, so I also plan to buy a GoPro. But with most other parks this it's not necessary. I've just been uploaded a video on the coaster tube (wrong version... darn it) in which each image is made of an attraction where I was allowed to film, even boosters ... the most intense rides.

Therefore, it's sometimes very confusing ... sometimes even GoPro's are prohibited and that has nothing to do with safety. I've had trouble with three parks: Walibi Holland, Blackpool pleasure beach and Heide Park ... although Walibi Holland has become less stringent in recent years since they are owned by 'Company des Alpes' and not the Americans or Brits who formerly owned the park.

• 2 months later...

Personally, I don't see why they should make a huge deal out of it, but yet they do.

Back in August of 2014 I tried to bring my Kodak on the IHC and they saw it up my sleeve and stopped the ride. What pissed me off was that the attendant made me take off the tether that kept the camera on my wrist and made me put it in my pocket. And I could not keep the tether on. I don't know why, but let's just say that my camera no longer works properly because it kept banging everywhere and I'm too afraid to do that again.

I recommend showing them it's secure to your body first. If so, I really don't see why it should be such a problem but they can be weird about that as explained from my experience.

I'm wondering about video glasses. They just look like a pair of sunglasses which they almost always let you wear on rides as long as you have a back strap for them. Try that.

I wonder also if copyright plays a role.

^ Oh, yeah, well cameras are strictly forbidden on Hulk so I don't blame them for taking the camera away from you especially when you even said you were trying to sneak it on! You have no right to be annoyed or upset with the ops when YOU were the one breaking the rules. Seriously, that's not cool. You just delayed the ride for everyone else because of something stupid you did.

^ Oh, yeah, well cameras are strictly forbidden on Hulk so I don't blame them for taking the camera away from you especially when you even said you were trying to sneak it on! You have no right to be annoyed or upset with the ops when YOU were the one breaking the rules. Seriously, that's not cool. You just delayed the ride for everyone else because of something stupid you did.

He didn't take it from me. He just told me to put it in my pocket. I was mad mainly because he pretty much turned it into a loose article. And yes it was stupid of me and I'm not sure why I felt like I should do that. But like I said, I don't think I'll be doing that again.

it was a while back and I kinda laugh at it now.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...