TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Getting away with a POV...

TwistedTrack

Disney also lists themselves as the manufacturer of all their rides, so they can make their own rules. Other parks have to go by what the manufacturer has in the SOP, which for the most part does include a "no loose articles" rule just as a CYA precaution.

Does a park have to follow a manufacturers SOP? Or do they follow it so if something happens the ride manufacturer can share some of the blame?

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that a ride is no different than any other type of equipment, if you operate it outside the manufacturer's recommended procedures it probably voids any type of warranty and makes you solely responsible legally in the case of an accident. I know in the business I work in there are accidents from time to time because of a malfunction with our equipment, but the accidents are almost always a result of the operators doing something outside of the manufacturer's recommended operating procedures in which case we are not responsible. I would think rides are the same way.

^^State agencies and insurance companies will require a park to operate the ride in accordance with the manufacturers SOP. However, most SOP's go through changes throughout a rides life based on the parks operational needs. Parks are always working with manufacturers on revisions to the SOP that both parties can agree on that will improve maintenance and operations for the park.

• 3 months later...

Where do you do to ask for permission then ? Do you ask the management team ? What about some of these smaller pov style cameras now out for filming skiing down hill. There should be some alternative to regular camcorders allowed by parks. As far as having copyrights to a ride experience frOm my reasearsh this is not true and parks may use this again as a scare tatic to bully people out of doing it or even asking. Just curious on how you have done it legally over the years.

• 2 months later...

Valley Fair is very strict about any and all loose articles and cameras. Last season I was on a train and we had to wait for another rider to find someone to hold her camera because she was trying to get a POV. The train was not going to leave the station while she was holding any sort of camera.

• 1 month later...

Most parks in Europe do not respond or whether or not the person takes a camera on board. There are some exceptions such as Walibi Holland or Heide park Resort that are strict on cameras in the attractions and that is also the reason why I still have no videos of these parks. I worked before with Heide park Resort and ...it didn't worked out as I had thought. I had to use my mini cam...means lesser quality. The Onride on krake was so bad that I had to use an off- onride compilation. I hate to go against the park rule's so I ask first...but most staff just look at me with 'just get in the darn thing and leave me alone'.

From the 300 POV's that i've made There were just 2 incidents that the park management appealed to me. ..Walibi Holland and Movie park Germany .... you really don't want that the man on Goliath sees you with a camera on board ..

The problem with these parks is that they give permission only to persons who make advertisings for their park on the internets such as moderator's. Walibi Holland promised me a response so long, of course, nothing!

Why would you say that if you've never seen them?

Reason 1- I do this because people like it even when 100 people went before me, they still like it.

2- I like to do that for myself as a free souvenir in the first place...now I can see what I made 5 years ago.

3- oh yes, we also have a website where we show this kinda onrides, we don't steal other's work.

4- There are a lot of video's that I made and are crap with others.

5- It's a hobby in a hobby and at the same time very informative for others and most of the time proposed in a creative way.

After 7 year experience I don't have a reason to afraid to make mistakes or loose the camera. It's fun to make onrides, it's just fun to do. It's like playing Nintendo.

• 3 weeks later...

What about these new GoPro cameras? They've got secure straps with chest or wrist mounts, they film HD video, and I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone regarding whether or not any of the parks are allowing them. Has anyone had any experiences with the GoPro and coaster POVs?

The Busch parks will allow Go Pro cameras if you have written consent from a higher up. I believe Go Pro cameras are the only type of camera allowed on their coasters.

I'd recommend contacting the park directly (probably through phone if email doesn't work out) as policies could differ from park to park.

I always e-mail or phone the park to ask about on-ride filming before I go.

Most parks will say "no" - if they do then fine, I end up doing more off ride filming and photo's instead.

I don't want to get on the wrong side of the parks so what they say goes...hopefully in a few years this will pay off and they will let me do some filming. Who knows!

5 years on and things haven't really changed for me. I tend not to ask any more and just enjoy taking pictures from the ground to use them on our website (since our computer crashed and we lost everything so I had to start it again). I would prefer to take some on-ride photos more than POV''s but I have no intentions of doing so any time soon.

I enjoy the track walks and things that the clubs sometimes get and make the most of some photos from the more unusual places.

I am kinda surprised that this thread has gotten as far as it has without someone locking it. This is one of those known rules that you don’t take cameras on rides and everyone has to follow it. Plain and simple.

Open and closed case…

^Many parks in other countries allow guests to take cameras on rides, but in the U.S. restrictions are more stingent (particularly Six Flags and Cedar Fair). So, the thread evolved into a discussion of these poicies.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I know nobody's posted anything on this in over a month but here's the deal, im going to KD and BGW soon (not ECB ) and i want to know 2 things :

1) Would this be a proper strap around your wrist? The camera's screwed in and the straps are locked so I think it's fine, but im not really sure

2) Who do I ask exactly to gain permission for filming pov's? Could I just ask the ride op or someone else?

Thanks a lot in advance,

CanadaCoasterKid

120731-220511.jpg.e2d62051825b40789bf70909cfcadf26.jpg

Here's the GoPro around my wrist. Any suggestions?

Hey guys, I know nobody's posted anything on this in over a month but here's the deal, im going to KD and BGW soon (not ECB ) and i want to know 2 things :

1) Would this be a proper strap around your wrist? The camera's screwed in and the straps are locked so I think it's fine, but im not really sure

2) Who do I ask exactly to gain permission for filming pov's? Could I just ask the ride op or someone else?

Thanks a lot in advance,

CanadaCoasterKid

[attachment=0]120731-220511.jpg[/attachment]

We were just at KD and BGW and we were told by both parks that chest or wrist mounted GoPro cameras are NOT allowed on any of their roller coasters.

• 4 weeks later...

^That announcement rocks!

I announced on the Blue Streak lift (didn't stop it - we couldn't "stop" the ride back then with out an official "shutdown") to someone that was throwing garbage out - "please do not throw garbage from the ride" or something like that. A while later, my lead came to me and told me someone in park op heard my announcement when driving on Perimeter Road and I was NOT to say stuff "like that" again.

I'm glad to see a little more relaxed view on spiels these days. I was surprised with the ride op's improv when waiting to get on Top Thrill Dragster. He really kept everyone entertained.

It used to be very anything goes on coasters. People took their stuffed animals, cameras, bags, etc.. I remember riding the Kings Island coasters with my back pack on the floor of the coasters. At some point things changed. Maybe something in the water. Is it just me or did peeps used to have a little more common sense and were better at following rules and just basic common sense? It's definitely a "big corporate park" issue.

^ In general the bigger parks tend to have tighter rules, although there some exceptions both ways (Disney and some un-named independent parks definitely don't conform to this!).

Like you said it's basically a common sense failure, so no-one can take anything on rides in case an idiot takes something stupid on a ride!

• 2 months later...

Why don't you just film off-ride video's of the coasters? it's not a POV, but it's still a lot of fun, safe, and not against any parks' policy. I know I wouldn't want a camera flying 70 mph to hit my head. Did you know that a few months ago a boy got struck by a bird on the Kingda Ka and had to go to the emergency room? just imagine what a camera would have done.

Edited by ArundelHigh Coasters