TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

In my dormitory, there lives a Japanese student and he borrowed me the film, "Battle Royale." I had no idea what the movie was about but I heard that it was a huge hit in Japan and I decided to give it a chance.

OMFGWTF!!!!!!

Has anyone here seen this movie? It is the sickest, most twisted, but BEST movie I have seen in a very long time! For those who are in the dark about it like I was, it is about Japan in the future and how corrupt the government and teenagers have become.

Taken from the film, "At the dawn of the millennium, the nation collapsed. At fifteen percent unemployment, ten million were out of work. 800,000 students boycotted school. The adults lost confidence, and fearing the youth, eventually passed the Millennium Educational Reform Act - AKA: The BR Act..."

The Battle Royale act is basically randomly selekting one class in Japan and putting them on a remote island. The objective is to try to have only one survivor left and that survivor would be declared the winner. Okay, the plot sounds a little silly but trust me it's a GREAT film!

Has anyone seen it?

^^

Battle Royale is one of my favorite movies EVER! Did you know that there is a sequel??

I read about it on a website (joblo.com - arrow in the head) and had to find it. Watched it with a bunch of friends and LOVED IT!

Japanese school girls with machine guns ROCK!!!

David

^^

Battle Royale is one of my favorite movies EVER! Did you know that there is a sequel??

I read about it on a website (joblo.com - arrow in the head) and had to find it. Watched it with a bunch of friends and LOVED IT!

Japanese school girls with machine guns ROCK!!!

David

Yes, I have heard that there is a sequel to the film! But I also heard from a friend of mine that it is not as good as the original. It is too confusing and has too many plot holes. I read the summary of the second film online and it didn't sound as interesting as the first. But, I haven't seen it so I can't say whether it is good or not! Nevertheless, I agree.... Japanese school girls shooting each other off is the coolest thing to see ever! Especially the crazy scene between the girls in the kitchen! OMFGWHATWASTHAT?!?!

The American film company, New Line Cinemas has bought the rights to a remake... and what's worse, there is a film called 'The Tournament' (which is a complete rip-off of Battle Royale) being filmed in the UK right now. BOO! I am not sure how I feel about this! The original was so amazing, and I do not want Hollywood to cast some dumb 'popular' actors to make some money! The original film had a cast of 15 year olds killing each other off (sounds horrible! I know!) but it was what made the film real and so shocking.

Unfortunately, due to the shootings at Virginia Tech, the filming was pushed back and the remake will not be released until 2008. I tried to check on IMDB.com but you need to have ProIMDB to view the information about the film!

^ The sequel wasn't nearly as good as the original, but it was definitely worth seeing, just because it does kind of continue the story.

The kitchen scene was my FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE!! Accidental poisonings, random shootings and a total bloodbath (all with schoolgirls in uniform!!!!)

I've heard several things about a U.S. remake and I'm certain that it won't be as good (we here in the U.S. lack the Asian sense of humor which is VASTLY different than ours) but I'll still see it - just because I'm a glutton for punishment!

I recently saw an Asian - direct to video - B Movie called Slashers. I think that if you liked BR - you'll like it as well.

David

Saw 5 and 6 have been confirmed. BOO!

I haven't seen the 4th film as it hasn't been released in Europe but I am sure these three sequels are not necessary! The Saw franchise ended after the third movie for me. I hate when Hollywood does this! Think of something original and not just make a sequel to a film that really doesn't need a sequel!

War of the Worlds: 7/10

It had some pretty cool/suspenseful parts, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting. The whole "vaporizing ray killing people" thing was really fake looking. But there were some cool effects, like the bridge being blown apart. Ehh, alright.

The Mist looks awesome. I saw the Stephen King novel in Barnes and Noble this week. I can't think of the novella it is from, but they are now selling the novel separately in honor of the movie. I want to read it before I see the movie.

Yea, I saw the paperback version in my local food store the other day.

Edit: I think the price was $6.99.

I saw a free preview of Beowulf tonight. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one yet. I was definitely into the action all of the way through the movie. It is very intense and they don't pull back on the grit of it all. Not a movie for the weak stomached or the kids. (Although there was of course at least two crying babies in the theater I was in...)

The 3D was pretty cool and fits this kind of film. There were plenty of jabby (probably unnecessary) bits to utilize the 3D technology. I still find CGI people kind of creepy, but the clarity of scenery is very cool. I also saw much more of an animated Anthony Hopkins than I really care to see! I was with a crowd of film students...across the board they didn't seem to like the movie, but they can be very tough. I think the action was great, the actors involved were impressive, the accents..varied. An interesting blend of literature, video games, and animation...

I went to see Beowulf this weekend, partly because I was looking forward to the movie and partly because of the Cloverfield trailer. All in all, I thought the movie was pretty good, but it still lacked something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Overall, I give it a 8/10.

Last night I was hanging out with some guys, and what movies do you watch when a bunch of 8th graders are sitting at a beach house? Kung-fu movies!

Once Upon a Time in China III 9/10

AWESOME movie! Jet Li is still one of my favorite kung-fu guys and he absolutley pwned in this movie. And unlike a lot of kung-fu movies, this one actually had a decent story! I find that most movies Jet Li is in have good stories along with some awesome arse-kicking action! Great movie, go rent it sometime.

Drunken Master 9/10

LOL! This movie was hilarious and at the same time was awesome. I only got to see like three-quarters of the movie, but it still pwned. Jackie Chan is another one of my favorite kung-fu guys. The English audio selection sounded SOOOO funny, it was unbelievable. Awesome movie, oh yeah, the drunk master guy is pretty awesome too.

---Brent

I watched Epic Movie yesterday.

Well I didn't like it at all. There were a few ok jokes in it but the rest of the movie sucked.

Rating : 3.5/10

I also saw that film. Absolute rubbish.

It seems like all these "spoof" movies are just AWFUL and not funny at all! I heard they are spoofing the superheroes next in a film called "Superhero!"

^ Yeah I don't even watch spoof movies anymore. I saw Epic Movie and I just called it quits.

So I will not be seeing this movie.

I saw 1408 the other night. It was actually much better than I thought. I usually don't care much for Stephen King movies but this one was alright. I'd give it a 8/10.