TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I just read the summary on Wikipedia... definitely not my type of movie, lol. Wow.

In other news, been working my way through Owen Wilson's filmography mostly chronologically, so last night I finally saw Marley & Me for the first time ever. LOVED it. Cried my eyes out. But I loved it. :D

• 3 weeks later...

A couple recent reviews

No Time to Die: Full Disclosure: I've only ever really sat down to watch the Daniel Craig Bond films thus far. The film is long and it feels long. Rami Malek's main antagonist character felt weak compared to what he accomplishes in the film--and was even outwitted by a child. But at least it does feel final in terms of Craig's Bond tenure.

The Last Duel: An extremely well-made film, though not necessarily one I can say that I enjoyed. Nor was it really made to be enjoyed. But at the same time, I think more people should see it. Because in actuality, the film is all about the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but lies.

Halloween Kills: At least it lives up to the title. I loved how smart the original and 2018 films were. All of that is undone by a lack of communication between characters and the instability of mob mentality. Which reminds me of a line from Men In Black, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it." And then the ending veers dangerously into Curse of Michael Myers territory that strains credibility. I was predicting that the Cult of Thorn would reenter the franchise, but as a group that idolized Michael and other such psychotics [predicted that the podcasters and Dr. Sartain from the 2018 film were members (Say Something)]. The crowd I saw the film was fun as well.

No SPOILERS

"Dune" 2021

stunning. . . with incredible visuals, incredible sound design, incredible costuming.

SO well done.   With anything confusing, explained by a character on screen near the scenes that could be confusing.

if I had to find a compliant, a minor one would be that in a few scenes it's just a tad bit too dark - so hard to tell what's going on.     but that's a minor quibble. . .

Excellent world building - even tho it's going to be wrongly compared to "Star Wars" (that film borrowed heavily from the worldbuilding in the DUNE books), it is very much reminiscent of the Scope and Scale of that first "Star Wars" film.

recommended. .and I'm only sad that now we have to wait for Part II to find out the rest of the story!

Should I see the original movie or read the book before I watch it in order to really appreciate it, or does it stand well enough on its own? Thought about putting it on over the weekend since its on HBO Max.

1 hour ago, michaellynn4 said:

Should I see the original movie or read the book before I watch it in order to really appreciate it, or does it stand well enough on its own? Thought about putting it on over the weekend since its on HBO Max.

I've never read the books.

and the 1984 film is unwatchable unless you are familiar.

So I say watch the new version, which explains things as it goes along. . . then, if you want, you can watch the 1984 version (which will then make sense, and fill in the rest of the story, since the 1984 version is the full story from the books, instead of stopping 1/2 way thru, as the new movie does - it's part 1 of 2).

I loved the new film so much, I then stayed up till 3am watching the 1984 version (also avail. on HBO Max).  i've never made it more than 45 minutes into the 1984 film - it's a mess. . but after seeing the new one?  I could follow the storyline, and liked it well enough (and Captain Picard is in it!). :)

On 10/23/2021 at 7:53 PM, bert425 said:

NO SPOILERS

"Dune" 2021

stunning. . . with incredible visuals, incredible sound design, incredible costuming.

SO well done.   With anything confusing, explained by a character on screen near the scenes that could be confusing.

if I had to find a compliant, a minor one would be that in a few scenes it's just a tad bit too dark - so hard to tell what's going on.     but that's a minor quibble. . .

Excellent world building - even tho it's going to be wrongly compared to "Star Wars" (that film borrowed heavily from the worldbuilding in the DUNE books), it is very much reminiscent of the Scope and Scale of that first "Star Wars" film.

recommended. .and I'm only sad that now we have to wait for Part II to find out the rest of the story!

It was also a little slow paced to start off. And as it is only the 1st half of the story, I don't necessarily agree with where it ended. Never read the books, but can those who have say if this was the best place to end part 1? 

Oh and, everyone should see it so part 2 can get made.

Saw Eternals yesterday. Kind of a weird movie. I liked it I mean they try their best to make the Eternals as human and someone you can relate to as they can and brought a very good question to my mind. But there are characters in this movie I expected more of, like Kit Harington's character, but I'm willing to accept the story isn't about that. On the other hand like I felt the movie was kind of predictable, the moment they explain the main plot I knew what was going on and what would happen, One character's choice did surprise me sort of, I expected the choice they made but figured they weren't entirely behind it. (Try to be vague here for no spoilers.) Then we have the hard introduction something never before seen in a MCU movie that kind of felt redundant at the end of the movie. But then the end really had me invested and felt very teasing and I don't mean the after credit scene here (although yeah that also had me invested.) It kind of felt more like this movie just expanded MCU lore and I kind of hope to learn more about it. 

^ Yes, finally! The announcement has popped up all over my Broadway theatre sites, etc.

Now I wonder when it's to be released? Next year's Christmas time? We'll find out soon enough. 💚

For those who don't know yet... and are planning to see Eternals ....

With NO SPOILER ALERT here, there are two more scenes during credits. One in the middle of, and one at the end of.

We're seeing it Thursday, so I was happy to find that out ahead of time, rather than playing a guessing game about it. 🎥

• 2 weeks later...

There's a 20 Year Reunion coming up, with the cast of the Harry Potter films, etc.

To be broadcast on New Year's Day, 2022. With much of the entire cast, apparently.

I never read the books, but we really enjoyed the film series, from the first to the last.

That said, I wonder if Chris Columbus (Director of first one, I remember) taking it on himself, to suggest that he direct the original cast in a film version of the TONY winning Broadway play (now done in one night) "Harry Potter And The Cursed Child" ...... ? The timing is perfect, age-wise for all of them, lol. Would be cool, even for them, I'd suppose,. Reliving the parts as adults and parents..... for film.

Here's hoping.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Encanto this afternoon.

It was good, the colours were all over the place (takes place in Columbia), the musical numbers were mostly fast and furious (care of Lin Manuel-Miranda), but some times very funny and still touching. And a lot of various characters to enjoy and root for. No Spoilers here.

And oh my --- soooo many 'gifts' to get through! We were amazed that they covered pretty much every body there, whether in dialogue or a number.

A great movie, especially back on a Big Screen! 🍿🍿🍿🍿 out of five. We just enjoyed "Coco" a bit more.

P.S. We didn't see it in 3D. We saw it on a regular old, big-ass movie screen, like days before...

Encanto2021.png.ed981e857114757a26a09008222fd367.png

Still gonna get the 3D-DVD when it's released later on!